gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:36:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Kevin Love’s panic attack - familiar.  (Read 7078 times)
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »

Surprised not to see this here. Is there a thread somewhere?
https://www.theplayerstribune.com/kevin-love-everyone-is-going-through-something/
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 07:42:19 PM »

Welcome back Emily, the Wilson blood strikes again... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 12:03:11 AM »

Great to hear him dealing with things in a positive way.  I have to admit I was a bit surprised at how archaic his previous attitudes towards mental illness were.  After all, he is a close relative of one of the most well-known mental health advocacy stories out there.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:38:53 AM »

Great to hear him dealing with things in a positive way.  I have to admit I was a bit surprised at how archaic his previous attitudes towards mental illness were.  After all, he is a close relative of one of the most well-known mental health advocacy stories out there.

True, but the stigma of talking about mental health issues and how that reflects on the notion of masculinity still persist in our society. As a Cleveland Cavs fan, I know some have viewed his behavior as detached and aloof, and I think this goes a long way to explain the way he has acted publicly. I give him credit for bringing more attention to this issue.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:50:31 AM »

Agreed, always liked him on the Wolves and Cavs.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 07:51:44 AM »

Great to hear him dealing with things in a positive way.  I have to admit I was a bit surprised at how archaic his previous attitudes towards mental illness were.  After all, he is a close relative of one of the most well-known mental health advocacy stories out there.

There's a stigma, still, regarding the admission of having to deal with 'issues' upstairs in the old noggin.  The Toronto Raptors' Devon Derozan spoke earlier this season about his problems.  It kind of opened the door for Kevin to feel confident enough to bring his trials and tribulations out into the open...thus giving his problem(s) a chance to breathe and heal.  His situation may well be hereditary.  He'll have a better chance of getting 'things' under control than his relatives as 'they' know far more now than they did when Brian was being misdiagnosed and mishandled by his doctor and associates alike.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Emily.  I was wondering where you had gone just last night.  Nice to see your face in the place.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:59:24 AM by Lee Marshall » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 08:46:06 AM »

That's wild, I read the article yesterday and loved it, but I never made the connection that he was related to the BBs. Very cool.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 08:55:58 AM »

That was a great read. Thank you for posting that.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 09:13:48 AM »

Great to hear him dealing with things in a positive way.  I have to admit I was a bit surprised at how archaic his previous attitudes towards mental illness were.  After all, he is a close relative of one of the most well-known mental health advocacy stories out there.

There's a stigma, still, regarding the admission of having to deal with 'issues' upstairs in the old noggin.  The Toronto Raptors' Devon Derozan spoke earlier this season about his problems.  It kind of opened the door for Kevin to feel confident enough to bring his trials and tribulations out into the open...thus giving his problem(s) a chance to breathe and heal.  His situation may well be hereditary.  He'll have a better chance of getting 'things' under control than his relatives as 'they' know far more now than they did when Brian was being misdiagnosed and mishandled by his doctor and associates alike.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes Emily.  I was wondering where you had gone just last night.  Nice to see your face in the place.
What about the Leafs' Harold Ballard? Evil

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 09:52:34 AM »

The bad old days.  His problem was ego...power and age.  It was a horror show!  Only person I've ever been happy to see 'go'.  There'll be one more.  Orangeman.  He's costing us all money...no matter where you live.  If your bank account has anything to do with stocks...get ready to get 'rocked' and 'rolled'.  He's definitely a 'sick puppy'  He needs to get wacked with a newspaper...but there'll be legal papers instead.

Kevin Love on the other hand?  I wish him and anyone else in THAT family who needs it a solid and speedy recovery.  The sooner...the better.  Cudos to Kevin for facing the issue nose to nose.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 11:22:04 AM »

Quick Harold Ballard story. My father and his brother were childhood friends of one of Harold Ballard's sons - I think it was probably Harold Jr. One time in the early 60s when the Leafs were winning Stanley Cups, the son invited by dad and uncle over to look at it. My dad and uncle leaped at the opportunity being die-hard hockey fans, though cheered (and still do) for the Canadiens as the whole family had lived in Montreal before moving to Toronto in the 50s. At any rate, while unsupervised, my dad, my uncle, and Harold Jr. took a nickel and etched their names into the Stanley Cup.

Not a fan of Ballard Sr. either nor were anyone in my family - though that perhaps had more to do with sports allegiance. He's buried in the same cemetery as many of my family members.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 11:40:19 AM »

Great story CSM, you visit the hockey hall of fame to see if the etching is still there? Grin

Lee, were you at the infamous 1966 Beatles concert at Maple Leaf Gardens where Harold turned off the water fountains to force people to buy expensive soda? 

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 11:44:11 AM »

Great story CSM, you visit the hockey hall of fame to see if the etching is still there? Grin

Yes I have. I've seen the Cup a few times but I'm not certain if the one I saw was the same one (I know there are a few Cups in existence). But there was no sign of the etching on the one I looked at. I do presume that it was buffed out though!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 12:05:09 PM »

No...But I paid through the nostrils for food and drink at Make Believe Gardens hockey games.  Beach Boys in '65?  The fountains still worked.  I knew Stafford's son Tommy Smythe a little.  I used to hang around near their home some as I had friends who lived on Edgehill Rd back when they did.  I wasn't looking for Stanley Cups...although they won at least 3 of them before they moved over to Ashley Park...near Humbertown.  I was usually looking for Tom's younger sister Liz who I thought was just a 10.  She was WAY outta my league.   Anyway...Tommy grabbed me one afternoon.  "Wanna go for a ride?"  "Would I?"  And away we went in his convertible whatever it was.   Had to go over to Ballard's place to see Bill about something.  Harold was there...loomed large in the doorway.  Tommy didn't like Ballard [Harold] one bit.

Back when I played hockey in the old Humber Valley League...I played for the Blue and White Bantam team called 'The Staffs'.  Named after Conn Stafford Smythe.  We won the championship that year.  I think it was 65-66...the year before the Leafs won their last cup.  Ballard kept Tommy Smythe out of what, by rights, was his heritage with the Leafs.  He even had a hand in buggering up his association with the Jr. A. Marlboroughs.  Harold was an ass.  I liked him NOT.

Crazy?  Like a greedy fox.  Then there was Yolanda... ... ...contempt bred familiarity.  What a sad and horrible story and stain on the history of the once proud franchise.  The guy was evil.
-------------

There are 2 cups.  1 stays permanently in the Hockey Hall of Fame.  The other 'tours'.  It's an exact replica.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 12:11:40 PM by Lee Marshall » Logged

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 12:59:56 PM »

I just thought I'd add this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nCJW1g8RY4

It's an interview Kevin Love gave today where he talks about the article.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2018, 07:53:38 PM »

Thanks Lee Marshall and Smile Brian! It’s nice to be welcomed.
I thought Kevin Love’s description of his panic attack was very similar to the 1964 Texas airplane incident.
I thought the article was thoughtful and it’s great to see a pro athlete talk about mental health issues so openly. Good for Kevin Love!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2018, 09:21:56 PM »

Welcome back Emily...haven't spoken to you in a while...hope all is well!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »

The bad old days.  His problem was ego...power and age.  It was a horror show!  Only person I've ever been happy to see 'go'.  There'll be one more.  Orangeman.  He's costing us all money...no matter where you live.  If your bank account has anything to do with stocks...get ready to get 'rocked' and 'rolled'.  He's definitely a 'sick puppy'  He needs to get wacked with a newspaper...but there'll be legal papers instead.

Kevin Love on the other hand?  I wish him and anyone else in THAT family who needs it a solid and speedy recovery.  The sooner...the better.  Cudos to Kevin for facing the issue nose to nose.

Lol I wonder how many Canadians are on this board??
Re:Kevin Love, all the best to him. He's had a great career, and that helps with the narrative that mental illness doesn't have to define you.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 10:47:59 AM »

Let’s talk in the hockey thread... Wink

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 01:10:54 PM »

I can only hope Mike Love offers him more empathy than he seems to afford the "Wilson" side of the family when it comes to these types of issues.

One bit from January's MOJO piece on Mike that I didn't include in the thread on that article was a bit that I thought was quite telling. While the question pertained specifically to *Mike's* children (and followed an exchange where Mike offered his typical boilerplate bits about how awful Murry was), it also touched on how Mike was raised and his attitude towards that compared to how the "Wilsons" were raised. I can't think of an interpretation of Mike's words that doesn't include the indication that he seems to think the "Loves" are better off for having been raised differently. Yet, here we have a "Love" who is struggling seemingly with something that is in the most general sense vaguely similar to what Brian went through. Here's the pertinent bit (which I found unfortunate back when I read it in January):

Mojo:
Yet you have involved your own children in
your music – your daughter Ambha is a
significant part of this new record, as are
your sons Christian and Brian. Were you at all
reluctant to bring them into the industry?

Mike:
Oh heavens no. Keep in mind that the Wilsons
were raised one way, and I was raised a
completely different way, so I am passing
on a different history, different values.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:12:10 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2018, 06:13:25 PM »

SO MANY obvious things to say.  I've said them all before.  Who wants to hear them again?

I didn't think so.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2018, 08:26:28 PM »

Even OSD is exhausted....

Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2018, 08:31:28 PM »

Great article. I wondered, as I read, how much he had heard growing up about Brian's mental health issues. Maybe very little, or maybe it was not taken seriously and blamed on drugs instead. We've seen what his Uncle Mike's attitude is.

I'm glad he's getting help.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2018, 09:03:03 PM »

Even OSD is exhausted....

I fought a five year battle with anxiety and did not seek help until I had no choice but to give in to outside help. If any of you even think you may have anxiety, the sooner you're up front about, the better. I self medicated and believe me, it can be extremely destructive physically. There is PLENTY of help out there. I didn't have to go through what I did whatsoever. Kevin is absolutely correct to be dealing with it head on. It takes courage to do what he did and he'll be better off because of it.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »

Well said, glad to see you are doing better! Smiley

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx