gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:02:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dean Torrence influence on Brian Wilson  (Read 45786 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2018, 01:15:46 PM »

Who is Lee Marshall? Wink

Tony the Tiger.

Sorry...No.  I can't honestly let that thought go without an explanation.  THAT Lee Marshall worked mostly in the U S of A.  Real name Marshall Aaron Mayer.  Marshall passed away 4 years ago this April at the age of 64.  His first name was actually Marshall.  My last name really is Marshall.  And I'm older than 64.   He did radio and AWA Wrestling on TV and he was also the voice of Tony.  I do radio, did TV and National voice overs for dozens of different clients.  I don't think my namesake ever MC'd Beach Boys shows either.  I have.

I just wanted to clear that up because I don't want folks thinking I'm someone else whose body of work  was as distinct as Lee's/Marshall's.  He was an American.  I am a Canadian.  I used Add Some when I joined up here because at that time there were 2 other Lee's actively posting.  Nowadays?  Not so much.  Besides...I didn't want to be accused of hiding behind some 'board' name.

Anyway...Carry on

mtaber posted "Let's summarize...

Dean really had very little, and perhaps no, influence on Brian's falsetto.

Jan and Dean are not on an equal level with the Beach Boys.  But they certainly had some killer singles, largely thanks to Brian.

Brian was probably a lot more influenced by Spector and the Four Freshmen (and Gershwin) than he was by Jan.

But Jan does rank just below the aforementioned trio of influences, in terms of Brian's developing his musical chops."

That seems pretty accurate...although there may well have been others, simultaneously engineering with Brian at the helm, who may have contributed some good ideas.

Lol, wow what a coincidence, I was mostly just joking, I had no idea that the two of you had so much in common when I made my original post.

To blur the lines even further, as I look at wikipedia it says that Other Lee had a stint in Windsor, Ontario, and while there he had a segment called "20/20 News".   LOL

Yes he did.  I worked with people who also worked with Lee at 'LW...including Pat Holiday and the legendary Rosalie Trombley.  Dick Smythe, and Charlie O'Brien and way...WAY back in pre Lee days...Bud Davies.  Those associations all happened in Toronto between 1972 and 1994ish.  Imagine how weird it must have seemed to many of them.  Shocked  Every now and then, through my agent, I'll get a letter from someone in Europe or Japan looking to get an autograph from the voice of 'Tony the Tiger'.  It's been about a year since the last one...close to 3 years after Lee passed on to the 'great control room in the sky'.  

Through it all I also got to meet, interview, hang out with and MC shows for a ton of folks...not including Jan or Dean but definitely INcluding the Beach Boys a bunch 'o' times.  [and the Beached Boys once.]  Spent some terrific quality time with Carl in Toronto and an interesting and revealing post show 90 minutes' or so' with Bruce in Winnipeg.  The only member of the group I never saw live or in person in any way was David...oh, and short term 'boy' Glen Campbell]  I've spoken ultra briefly with Brian, Al, Ricky and Blondie and more so with Michael E...you know...the old manager's brother.  Sorry to say I've never made it my business to see,  meet or hear John Stamos.

---------------------------------------------

I hear than Dean isn't really all that friendly a guy.  THAT I don't know to be true.  Undecided
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 01:22:05 PM by Lee Marshall » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 07, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »

Yes he did.  I worked with people who also worked with Lee at 'LW...including Pat Holiday and the legendary Rosalie Trombley.  Dick Smythe, and Charlie O'Brien and way...WAY back in pre Lee days...Bud Davies.  

Dick Smythe's rants on Channel 47 were a crucial part of my childhood.
mrski
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 09, 2018, 05:21:24 PM »

My opinion is that they, together, created the California Sound. Or maybe I'll expand a little. Brian created the California Sound and Jan refined it.

The Beach Boys are the alltime greatest band in my opinion. Hands now. No one has ever, or will ever, equal them. But I do think The Beach Boys and Jan & Dean played an equal role in developing what we know as the California SOUND. Not lyrical content (surf, cars, girls, etc) but SOUND. Jan had been cutting records with Wrecking Crew, falsetto leads, and thick harmonies for years. Not saying that Brian copied Jan. But I think Brian took Four Freshman, Chuck Berry, Phil Spector, AND JAN BERRY/JAN&DEAN, when developing his own sound. Some more than others obviously. The Four Freshman would be the most impact influence I think.

Nice thread.

1. "My opinion is that they, together, created the California Sound. Or maybe I'll expand a little. Brian created the California Sound and Jan refined it."

Aren't the building blocks of the so described California Sound as created by Brian the result of the blending together of Four Freshmen type vocal arrangements (Brian), Chuck Berry (Carl), Fender instruments (initially) (Carl & Dave), Do-wop vocal arrangements (Mike), and Phil Spector productions (Brian)...? - I would think that would be Do-wop records generally, not only specifically those recorded by J&A and  J&D? (Just look at the Party LP outtakes...)

In what way did Jan 'refine' it?

2.  "Jan had been cutting records with Wrecking Crew, falsetto leads, and thick harmonies for years" , - yes, and so had many other people...

Where did this J&D style actually come from? It's origins are surely in Do-Wop, wasn't that what J&D were doing initially... (Although personally I would certainly hesitate to describe their Dore material as possessing 'thick harmonies'.) Jan did not invent Do-Wop, he adopted the style from other popular records, just like Brian via Mike did...

Listen to Heart & Soul, the vocal arrangement is just a knock-off of I Wonder Why by Dion & The Belmonts... Especially the falsetto at the end.

The arrangement for Linda has been considered by some to be inspired by Sherry by The Four Seasons...

3. Regarding the claims of what Brian actually learnt from Jan with respect to the 'business' and studio techniques and so on, where does Brian's time spent with Usher sit with this...?

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 10, 2018, 01:10:44 PM »

Happy Birthday, Dean!!!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2018, 04:09:14 PM »

Hell yeah, I hope I'm looking that good at 78!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx