gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:28:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Gear  (Read 84023 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2006, 01:12:03 PM »

BTW, I would love to see the Carl Wilson "guitar player" interview.

I second that....

BTW this sounds more interesting with each new read imo. If a book, and aeijtzsche, I'd be the first one to buy it,  shouldn't happen, it would be great to have a thread or section on this board about this topic.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2006, 01:18:00 PM »

Maybe Chuck could publish it as a "document" or something.
Popka
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2006, 02:30:47 PM »

I'll try and scan the Carl interview from Guitar Player over the next few days. 

Many years ago I was able to spend some time with Tommy Tedesco after he had given a clinic for Fender. I did ask him a few questions about the sessions he played on for the BB. He stated that his main guitar on those sessions, was a Telecaster. I asked him if it was the one which is covered in signatures and messages from other studio players, and he confirmed that it was. I have a colour photo of that guitar somewhere - I'll try and find it.

nosticker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2006, 08:18:39 PM »

FWIW, I've seen pics of Dennis with several different setups over the years--Rogers, Camco(obvious from endorsement ads), Slingerland, Premier, and Yamaha at the end.
Maybe Mike Kowalski would know some more?  He mentioned that Denny gave him one of the Yamaha kits in a recent interview.

Dan
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2006, 11:15:14 AM »

I'll try and scan the Carl interview from Guitar Player over the next few days. 

Many years ago I was able to spend some time with Tommy Tedesco after he had given a clinic for Fender. I did ask him a few questions about the sessions he played on for the BB. He stated that his main guitar on those sessions, was a Telecaster. I asked him if it was the one which is covered in signatures and messages from other studio players, and he confirmed that it was. I have a colour photo of that guitar somewhere - I'll try and find it.

Maybe this is subject for another thread, but I have to ask about that Telecaster...before that, I really regret not having the opportunity (financial and otherwise) to be in California when Tommy was teaching at GIT and giving clinics. I got quite a lot out of his instructional video and all his magazine columns, and by all accounts his live clinics and appearances were great. Back on topic...

I read about the Mike Nesmith session in late '67 where Tommy, having made so much money in overtime on the sessions (Nesmith was literally throwing 1967 Monkee money around to avoid taxes somehow...), decided to pull a joke on the studio band on one of the last sessions. When the take ended, he threw his guitar up into the air, and it came crashing down to the floor, breaking apart. The story I heard was that this guitar which he broke was his main Telecaster from all those 60's rock sessions, and that his wife either had or still has that guitar framed on her wall. I think Hal Blaine mentioned this framed guitar as well in an interview or his book.

I'm assuming the guitar with all the signatures is a different Telecaster, and would love to see those photos!

And here we have yet another instance of these session players saying they played a Fender Telecaster on these various legendary sessions...  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2006, 05:55:29 PM »

Great Idea!

This is my setup for when I do my Beach Boys tribute band - All Summer Long. We all try to be as authentic as we can - soundwise...

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2006, 05:57:04 PM by audiodrome » Logged

Paul
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2006, 07:19:56 PM »

Nice.  I lust after all three of those guitars.
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2006, 06:14:17 PM »

It sounds like an excellent project.  I would suggest that you outline it - see how you might lay it out - then start to fill in the outline with information.  No need to decide what it will be until it becomes what it will.  Which leaves time for those philanthropic BB fans to step forward!
;-)

I know someone who might be able to help you with Denny's drums...drop me an email and i'll see if i can set up a contact for you.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2006, 07:15:10 PM »

Maybe Chuck could publish it as a "document" or something.

Yes, maybe Chuck could, but I'd need the article first.  Smiley

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2006, 01:46:55 PM »

Well, we have to start somewhere, so I'm going to list some instruments associated with the boys.  One thing I wonder about is if they used only their stage instruments in the studio, or if there were unseen studio instruments.  Please feel free to add info, correct anything, add specific details, etc.  This will only be the beginning.

Carl:

Early info needed

White Fender Jaguar, primary stage six-string until about 66, I think.

White Fender XII.  You can see a few pictures of Carl with it in the Badman book.  I think he must have used this before he got into Rickenbackers.

Fireglo Rickenbacker 360/12s:  His first is what is now called the 360/12v64.  Flat-top.  Then he went to what the modern 360/12 looks like, with the carved top, and a little brighter finish, "R" tailpiece.  Foskett mentioned that Carl had at least four 360/12s.

White Fender Telecaster with Bigsby:  You can see plenty of this guitar watching footage from 67-the end of the decade.  Seemingly took over as Carl's prefered on-stage six string guitar.

Guild Starfire VI:  I think you can see this during Lei'd in Hawaii.  He didn't use it for too long, I don't think.  Some of '68.

Epiphone 360TD Rivera 12 (more than one?):

Jeff Fosket:  "His favorite one had the headstock broken off and when the factory sent it back to him, it had a Gibson 12 String neck and hence people assumed it was a Gibson.

Blonde Gibson 335: I'm not sure the dates on this one.

Al:

White Fender Stratocaster:  Must have been Al's only main guitar for all the early years.  It's in almost every performance clip pre-1967.  You'll see Al swap guitars with Carl occasionally on stage.

Red Fender Stratocaster:  This seems to have replaced the White strat about '67.  You can see Al still playing it at the House studio on the AB "Time to get Alone" footage.

Al must have either borrowed some of Carl's semi-hollow body 12 strings or got his own.

Les Pauls:  No idea the dates, SATP:ST/Holland era.

Brian:

Fender Precision Bass:  The famous white one.  I get the sense that when Brian left the road, both this bass and the Sunburst version of it became "the band's" property, as you can see Bruce playing the white bass, as well as Al on stage at one point. 

Along those lines, the group seems to have owned several basses for general use, Bruce had a Blue Fender Precision, you can see it on the California Girls performance video on Endless Harmony, and also on some live performance video from the 20/20 era.  If not elsewhere.

Bruce and Carl played Hofner "Beatle Bass" and a Hofner rip-off at Lei'd, I don't know the exent of their use.

Dennis:

I really don't know anything about Dennis' drums, live or in the studio.  I need to research that more.

More to come, contributions welcome.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2006, 09:33:31 PM »

Quote from: aeijtzsche
Carl:
White Fender Telecaster with Bigsby:  You can see plenty of this guitar watching footage from 67-the end of the decade.  Seemingly took over as Carl's prefered on-stage six string guitar.

If this is the one he played during his 1981 solo tour, it's the one he called "Old Yeller" and it's a very early production model.

Epiphone 360TD Rivera 12 (more than one?):

At least two of them, both with Gibson headstocks. He used them in pairs during shows, with the guitar tech keeping one ready to go at all times.

Blonde Gibson 335: I'm not sure the dates on this one.

Carl had two of those too, although he seems to have retired one of them in the late '80s-early '90s.

Al must have either borrowed some of Carl's semi-hollow body 12 strings or got his own.

At least one of his own, I think.

Here's an old post I saved from Billy Hinsche on Carl's guitars, from a now-defunct message board. It goes into some detail on Carl's gear:

Re: Carl's guitars
Posted by Billy Hinsche on March 30, 1998 at 08:49:10:

I have been trying in vain to post this message for a few days. Apologies for posting it in this manner. This is in response to questions asked of me further down the board: When I first met Carl in '65 he was playing a Rickenbacker 360 Fireglow with a Fender Dual Showman amp. He also owned a Rickenbacher 360/ DBV64, a 360/12 and a Rose Morris designation #1993 with a dot neck and an F hole. He used a Guild Starfire VI at times (six string). His main axe became his Blonde Gibson 335 Custom/355 neck and Bigsby tremelo. He had the first production model "Olympic White" Fender Stratocaster. He called it "Old Yeller" when the color faded over time. At home he played a Cherry Red Gibson Dove and had a custom hand-made David Russel Young/a butterfly on the headstock (both six string acoustic). In the seventies he used my Epiphone Sheraton on the live album and on tour. He began using a Epiphone 360 TD Riviera/ a Gibson neck and slim "Johnny Smith" pickups (12 string) in the eighties. He had several of these for backup. He also had a Blonde Gibson 335 dotneck reissue (backup for the A system) and a Blonde 345 (backup for the B system). He played a black Takamine acoustic six string with built-in electronics for "Heaven" in concert. He had a white solid body electric six string made by Charvel (?) It is pictured in both the ESQ and BBFC newsletters this month. Before I elaborate on amps, etc. I want to see if I can now post this message. Thanks to Jeff Foskett for helping me with some of the details contained herein. Billy Hinsche
audiodrome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2006, 06:47:55 AM »

I think he meant first production model Olympic White Fender Jaguar. That would have been a '62 (I have a '63 Olympic White Jaguar). I've never seen a picture of Carl with an Olympic White Strat (or any Strat for that matter).

Paul
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2006, 12:19:37 PM »

I think the "Old Yeller" strat was aquired much later, in the 80s or something.  It's definitely a strat.

EmDeeh, did Billy ever actually post more about Amplifiers?  That's a big gap in my knowledge base.
Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2006, 12:03:25 PM »

I read an interview with Carl and he said that he got the "335" cheap 2nd hand in 1969.  This guitar became his main stage axe.  He did rotate in a strat for some tunes.  Photos from 1970 show the band playing through silver face Fender Twin Reverbs.

Brian's first bass was the Sunburst model...must have been a 61.

Having seen lots of shows over the years should mention:

Ed Carter rotated from a Gibson Les Paul to a P-bass.  Never saw him play a Fender.

Billy Hinche was a strat guy into a Yamaha amp most of the shows I saw.

Jeff Foskett seems to have been the Rick 12 string guy during his foray with the band.

Blonde was a Les Paul guy...P-90 pups.

Other interesting notes:

Carl plays a Hofer or Hofner look-a-like bass in Hawaii 1967.
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2006, 03:43:50 PM »

The Beatles' name is such that they get a published book at the drop of a hat.  Something more specific and substantial is needed in the BB world.

Perhaps what we need is a BB anthology of sorts.  Instead of Josh writing a full book, he could be writing a chapter or two of a larger book.  Surely others here would go in with him in compiling a larger more general book on the BB as a reference.  You get enough stuff in there and there surely would be a publisher.  We already have a sessions/day by day for the band, so let's see -- get their gear in one place.  Add in a chapter on recording methodology which lists out the studios that Brian would use and expands upon the home studio setups post-Smile.  A chapter could give biographical details on the session musicians used by Brian over the years.  You could have a chapter on the touring band over the years and the styles and sample set lists (I would LOVE that chapter).  You get 5 or 6 people together to write it, and one person to edit the whole thing together, I would bet you could find a small music press to print it.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2006, 04:20:44 PM »

Recording Gear and Techniques is definitely a must...and you have the right people here!

If this isnt in another book (I havent read any BB books yet), Id love to see the vocal techniques, where they stood in front of the microphone, the order of putting harmonies together, etc. That would be neat, imo.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2006, 04:33:59 PM »

Jeff, that is a really, really good idea.  Practical too.  I can tell you now that I would not be a good candidate to head something like that up, but if somebody reading this feels like they would be, let's try it.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2006, 05:51:56 PM »

There's a picture of Brian from the Hawaii 1967 thing playing that "Beatle" Bass.

Question: Did Brian keep any instrument other than his Piano in his home?

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2006, 06:26:55 PM »

Mark L. will know where Brian's white Baldwin organ is located.

That's exactly what I've been wondering for quite a while. I believe I'll go over to his thread and ask him. I'm assuming it's probably not still in Brian's possession, but it can't have dropped off the face of the earth, and I doubt anyone would be stupid enough to destroy it.
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2006, 06:28:24 PM »

By the way, Aiztrgoiyugsaitylsufg, this is a great idea!
NimrodsSon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2006, 06:32:31 PM »

There's a picture of Brian from the Hawaii 1967 thing playing that "Beatle" Bass.

Question: Did Brian keep any instrument other than his Piano in his home?

An organ or two, plus all of the groups instruments when the studio was at his house. There's that picture of him playing a Hammond organ with all the dolls or whatever they are in the SMiLE tour booklet.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2006, 08:17:39 PM »

Billy Hinsche has an interview with Carl on his website, where they discuss gear.

The interview can be found at:
http://www.billyhinsche.com/story4.html

« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 05:58:15 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2006, 03:06:51 AM »

Cool article.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2006, 08:01:44 AM »

Cool article.

Indeed !

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Big Bri
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2006, 11:35:22 AM »

Aeijtzsche,
  Great idea putting together the BB's gear.Has anyone looked inside the "old" double LP of "Beach Boys In Concert '73"??  The pictures are much bigger than the CD.
 Dennis is shown playing an early model MOOG Synth.Someone mentioned Silver-faced Fender Twins.I also have the 1976 Guitar Player issue with Carl and I'll see what I can find.I remember him talking about tunings and string gauges in that issue.Been awhile.
Brian
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx