gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:35:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Gear  (Read 84000 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: September 21, 2019, 12:29:07 PM »

Forgot to mention this TV appearance was from November 18, 1970 on "Top of the Pops" in the UK:

They mimed to "Tears in the Morning" indeed; I'm curious if there's any chance they did any other numbers. Was it typical to just do one song on TOTP at that time?

Also funny that they went to the trouble to have Mike playing something that seemed to vaguely match the recording, yet Carl and Al just play two electric guitars and Bruce doesn't have any sort of keyboard or organ or piano.

This seems to be the audio of that performance. Though it says Dec. 15th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2L0KAlwTTk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 21, 2019, 07:06:35 PM »

Even in more recent years, you'll sometimes see Al playing a random guitar (often a standard American Strat) where it seems he's doing a one-off gig and the promoter or whomever is paying for or arranging the gig provided the instruments.

One time when Al was doing a gig in the middle-of-nowhere North Carolina, I was lucky enough to catch the soundcheck. He had two rental Strats for that show.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 07:07:28 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: September 22, 2019, 11:24:51 AM »

Even in more recent years, you'll sometimes see Al playing a random guitar (often a standard American Strat) where it seems he's doing a one-off gig and the promoter or whomever is paying for or arranging the gig provided the instruments.

One time when Al was doing a gig in the middle-of-nowhere North Carolina, I was lucky enough to catch the soundcheck. He had two rental Strats for that show.

I just found this:

Just a chime in. Al Jardine came to town last year, spec'd a Rickenbacker 12 for his rental. My good friend works for the backline company. He asked if they could rent my Rickenbacker 330/12 (Blueburst) for the night for 100 bucks. I said sure! Al Jardine played my guitar, said he loved it. Thanks, that's all.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/beach-boys-rig-rundown-circa-1964.1622936/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 22, 2019, 12:19:19 PM »

Forgot to mention this TV appearance was from November 18, 1970 on "Top of the Pops" in the UK:

They mimed to "Tears in the Morning" indeed; I'm curious if there's any chance they did any other numbers. Was it typical to just do one song on TOTP at that time?

Also funny that they went to the trouble to have Mike playing something that seemed to vaguely match the recording, yet Carl and Al just play two electric guitars and Bruce doesn't have any sort of keyboard or organ or piano.

This seems to be the audio of that performance. Though it says Dec. 15th:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2L0KAlwTTk

Not the same Tv Appearance, one is Top of The Pops and the audio one is Dutch Toppop.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 22, 2019, 02:15:24 PM »

Yeah totp was one of the worst in terms of not saving footage. When I did my Rolling Stones book I found that about 95% of the many Stones appearances on that show in the 1960s were destroyed. There are literally less then a handful in existence. The stills of those shows are always tantalizing to look at even though they were usually miming or partial miming
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: September 23, 2019, 07:00:18 AM »

Yeah totp was one of the worst in terms of not saving footage. When I did my Rolling Stones book I found that about 95% of the many Stones appearances on that show in the 1960s were destroyed. There are literally less then a handful in existence. The stills of those shows are always tantalizing to look at even though they were usually miming or partial miming

Yep, and of course the Beatles' appearances are near non-existent as well. Beatles scholars have found tantalizing little scraps like 15 or 30 seconds used for a "Doctor Who" episode (ironically, while some Dr. Who episodes are of course infamously still missing, the episode that used a short clip of the Beatles on TOTP from 1965 managed to survive), and more recently an unfortunately over-hyped "rare footage discovery!!!" of some bits from the Beatles' 1966 appearance that actually consisted of a fan aiming a home movie camera at their TV. A similar film from a '64 appearance also survives that way. Still all interesting, but sort of like an archaeological dig unearthing scraps of something interesting.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2019, 07:51:42 AM »

Although Reelin in the years archive claims to have both Top of the pops and Toppop appearances.

They also appeared on top of the pops in 1968 miming to Do It Again.

Coming back to the Gear theme, in the TILT Good Vibrations promo(The 1966 rehearsal footage that is included in a lot of documentaries)  we can see some gear not included here, those are: a Violin shaped bass (definitely not the McCartney one) and a Guitar that Carl is seen performing at one scene. In that clip we can also see closeups of Bruce Organ.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2019, 07:52:13 AM by BBs Footage Saga » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2019, 10:42:18 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:56:13 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2019, 11:34:03 AM »

I've read that the other violin bass they sometimes used in that era was an Eko 995. From the examples I've listened to that might be what Bruce played on Wild Honey (the song), not sure though, most of that album sounds like the Hofner they used in Hawaii.

You may have read it here: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,22639.msg533662.html#msg533662

In the second article there's a cool picture of Bruce with a Hofner bass. I've seen Carl and Al with them, but never Bruce.

That bass is an Eko 995 violin bass, the model Bruce is shown with has the round pickup magnets/polepieces where others have rectangular magnets.

And here's the photo if the linking works:

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 26, 2019, 10:21:46 AM »

I wonder if the violin bass use had to do with this time period where the band well and truly didn't have anybody that was playing bass enough to feel super comfy on a standard scale bass?  Not that it's that hard to adjust, but if you're not playing a lot of bass, having a 30" scale bass makes it that much easier to play.  The band also picked up at least one mustang bass in the late 60s or early 70s, as seen here:

Just a thought!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 26, 2019, 12:57:37 PM »

I fricken love this thread. Gear nut's dream!
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 26, 2019, 01:07:43 PM »

I wonder if the violin bass use had to do with this time period where the band well and truly didn't have anybody that was playing bass enough to feel super comfy on a standard scale bass?  Not that it's that hard to adjust, but if you're not playing a lot of bass, having a 30" scale bass makes it that much easier to play.  The band also picked up at least one mustang bass in the late 60s or early 70s, as seen here:

Just a thought!

Maybe but the only time i saw that bass is in the TILT TV performance, and that photo of Bruce is from the same performance, in London 1966 footage (Shooted like 2 months after) he is wearing the white fender bass as in other footage of Bruce live.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2019, 07:52:16 AM »

I thought this was as good a thread as any to put this link into. It was posted through Brian's facebook account:

P is for perfection: the tale of the Fender Precision Bass

https://happymag.tv/p-is-for-perfection-the-tale-of-the-fender-precision-bass/?fbclid=IwAR1k5f-uqPa0hnuPl2hsrifZGJZAecv79JHjUQAM32_f-xx-yKJiszbn4e4

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: April 06, 2020, 12:57:23 PM »

Look-a-here, the Beach Boys in '86 with Brian on bass looking ultra cool (Miami Vice style) and Carl playing a Rick:

The Beach Boys - California Dreamin' (1986-10-01 Solid Gold Appearance)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkYKMwA4cfM

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: April 06, 2020, 01:04:11 PM »

Wow, can't say I've seen that one - neat! Thanks
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2020, 04:54:36 PM »

Look-a-here, the Beach Boys in '86 with Brian on bass looking ultra cool (Miami Vice style) and Carl playing a Rick:

I don’t think you can read anything into a lip-synced performance. It would not surprise me if the show had a stock supply of instruments ready for an artist to just pick up and ‘play’. Not to mention the fact Mike is so totally not playing the sax.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2020, 10:36:22 AM »

I don’t think you can read anything into a lip-synced performance. It would not surprise me if the show had a stock supply of instruments ready for an artist to just pick up and ‘play’. Not to mention the fact Mike is so totally not playing the sax.

From a few weeks ago, here is another (network this time, not syndicated) TV appearance from the Boys promoting "California Dreamin" in Fall 1986. They were making the rounds for sure...compare the gear on Solid Gold in October '86 to what they were shown using on this TV show aired the same month:

Copied from the Stamos HBO thread, the sitcom "You Again?" from 1986:

FYI - If you haven't seen the clips of the show "You Again?" as mentioned in the press release above, here are the clips featuring The Beach Boys (with Brian) on the episode "The Audition" first aired in October 1986. This was right before Stamos landed the Full House gig. Jack Klugman played John's father on the show, and John's character "Matt" auditions on drums for the Beach Boys in this episode. Notably Carl is missing from the first audition scene yet he is there for the later concert and rehearsal scenes. Pretty interesting to see all of them acting and playing circa 1986.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCHPlAwBVZE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY49qsNMlp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHaU5_RCdbY

Just an aside on the TV show Solid Gold...I used to watch that show regularly especially before our neighborhood was wired for cable TV to hear the newest chart tunes. I remember specifically they were advertising Men At Work would be on this one upcoming Saturday to premiere their new single, and I was a big fan of Men At Work so I rushed home from playing baseball that Saturday afternoon to watch them. Now anything you want is instantly available on demand...Oh, and I also had and may still have the Solid Gold board game.  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 10, 2020, 12:53:53 AM »

Just a thought!

Possibly also they thought "there's a guy currently making more millions than anyone else on a short scale bass"... live, at least Wink
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2020, 02:33:16 AM »

In Billy Hinsche's latest facebook-video he talks a little about the Epiphone guitar he's playing here on the Dean Martin show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGQhyRyH2uA

"Lady love" of course was co-written by Billy and Brian.

Billy mentions that it is this guitar (later owned by Joe Walsh) that Carl played on a lot of the In Concert album (a couple of pictures are featured on the gatefold).
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 02:55:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2020, 07:39:09 AM »

It's the same guitar Carl's playing in the photo above with Daryl Dragon. Here's the direct link to Billy's show (episode #11): https://www.facebook.com/billy.hinsche/videos/4511675448858713/
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2020, 08:25:11 AM »

It's the same guitar Carl's playing in the photo above with Daryl Dragon. Here's the direct link to Billy's show (episode #11): https://www.facebook.com/billy.hinsche/videos/4511675448858713/

How wonderful that that guitar is still around and in good hands!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2021, 06:51:45 AM »

Although Reelin in the years archive claims to have both Top of the pops and Toppop appearances.

They also appeared on top of the pops in 1968 miming to Do It Again.

Coming back to the Gear theme, in the TILT Good Vibrations promo(The 1966 rehearsal footage that is included in a lot of documentaries)  we can see some gear not included here, those are: a Violin shaped bass (definitely not the McCartney one) and a Guitar that Carl is seen performing at one scene. In that clip we can also see closeups of Bruce Organ.

Here is the video of the Boys rehearsing. Check out the close up of Carl's Rickenbacker at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4V_YnY7Qx0

- Jack Rieley
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2021, 07:20:19 AM »

Just curious from watching that rehearsal clip, what is the deal with the reversed-colored section of keys on Bruce's keyboard? Does that set of keys have special functions?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2021, 08:17:34 AM »

Just curious from watching that rehearsal clip, what is the deal with the reversed-colored section of keys on Bruce's keyboard? Does that set of keys have special functions?

He's playing a Farfisa Compact, those reverse-color keys at the lower end of the keyboard were bass keys controlled by the top left row of tabs so you could play in the normal range, and also a lower bass octave with those reverse color keys. If I'm not mistaken either that model or other Farfisas also had a separate bass output (I think??? ) so you could split the bass and treble to separate amps for something like Ray Manzarek did with his Fender Piano Bass setup, just less range.  I could be wrong on that.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:35:53 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2021, 03:58:23 PM »

He's playing a Farfisa Compact, those reverse-color keys at the lower end of the keyboard were bass keys controlled by the top left row of tabs so you could play in the normal range, and also a lower bass octave with those reverse color keys. If I'm not mistaken either that model or other Farfisas also had a separate bass output (I think??? ) so you could split the bass and treble to separate amps for something like Ray Manzarek did with his Fender Piano Bass setup, just less range.  I could be wrong on that.

You're absolutely right.  If separate bass output wasn't standard on the Farfisa Compact, it was at least an option.
This page has links to some manuals and schematics.  In schematic of the set labeled "extras," you can see the separate bass output.
https://combo-organ.com/Schematics/index.htm
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx