gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:28:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Gear  (Read 83998 times)
drummer083
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2015, 07:19:44 PM »

I documented Dennis' drums for my drum forum, so I'll list his various kits here.
        Slingerland Radio King-Black Diamond Pearl, 14x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 5.5 x 14 wood snare
        Gretsch Champagne Sparkle- 14x20 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 tom, 5x14 cob snare.
        Ludwig Champagne Sparkle- 14x20 bass, 8x12 tom, 9x13 tom, 16x16 bass, 5x14 supraphonic snare drum
        Camco Blue Moire- 14x20 bass, 8x12 tom, 14x14 floor tom, 5x14 matching wood snare w/tuxedo lugs, also used a 5x14 Camco C.O.B. snare and Ludwig Supra
         Camco White Moire- 14x20 bass, 8x12 tom, 14x14 floor tom, 5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic or 5x14 Rogers Powertone (metal)
         Rogers Black Onyx- 14x20 bass, 8x12 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 5x14 Rogers Powertone (metal)
         Camco 3-D Finish- 14x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 Floor tom, 5x14 matching snare and 5x14 Rogers Powertone
         Camco Blue Sparkle- 14x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 5x14 Rogers Powertone
         Camco Walnut (stain) finish-14x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 5x14 Rogers Powertone. Same kit (minus snare) as used by Doug Clifford of CCR.
         Rogers Blue Strata- 14x20 bass, 8x12 tom, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 5x14 matching Wood Powertone and 5x15 metal powertone
         Zickos Clear Acrylic- 18x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 10x14 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 16x18 floor tom, 5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic snare. This was probably Dennis' most famous         kit. There were actually two of these. Joe Pollard, inventor of the Syndrum, was the first Zickos endorser (signed just prior to Floyd Sneed of Three Dog Night). He had this kit when he played with the Beach Boys in the early 1970s, and had an identical set made for Ricky Fataar. When he left, the second Zickos kit stayed behind, which Dennis took over. Various pictures exist with two identical Zickos kits side by side on stage. Dennis generally used the 16x16 floor tom with this kit, but sometimes used the 16x18.
          Blaemire fiberglass concert toms- 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 concert toms (single-headed). These were identical to Hal Blaine's toms from his monster kit. Unfinished fiberglass with a mint green tint. These were part of the house kit at Brother studios, made by the late Alan Blaemire.
          Yamaha 9000 series Piano Black Lacquer-There were several of these sets, most with split lugs, but he was also pictured with early "Recording Customs", which were 9000 series birch shells with long, one-piece lugs.  Dennis is first pictured with Yamahas in the 1980 tour book, albeit in a much larger configuation than he normally used. His normal Yamaha set up consisted of a 14x22 bass drum, 10x12 and 11x13 toms, 16x16 and 16x18 floor toms.
       Not much is known about his early cymbals, but they were most likely Zildjians (also possibly Zilcos or Alejian's). His cymbals from the time he began using the Zickos were all Zildjian, with the 1970s "hollow" logo. He used these until the end, also adding a "China Boy" to the Yamaha kit.

There were also rental kits used for various tv appearances, the most famous being the Blue Shimmer Premier used on Top of the Pops. This kit was used by several acts, most notably Alan White when he appeared with John Lennon for the taping of "Instant Karma". He also used a Walnut Cortex Ludwig concert tom kit on the 1980 Mike Douglas show on the beach in Hawaii.

Ricky Fataar first used a Ludwig Mod Orange kit with a 14x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom and 5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic.  He also was pictured playing Dennis' Blue Strata Rogers kit (as was Mike Kowalski at the 1971 Central Park Show), a Sonor Kit (unknown whose these were) and his Natural Maple Gretsch kit (14x22 bass, 9x13 and 10X14 toms, 16x16 floor tom and 5x14 Ludwig metal snare). His last kit while a member of the Beach Boys was the aforementioned Zickos kit.).

drummer083
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2015, 07:35:54 PM »

By the way, Dennis' first Camco kit originally had the horrible Camco tom holder, and was retrofitted with the groundbreaking Rogers Swivomatic hex tom holder. His later Camco kits were all fitted with the Swivomatic holders from the factory in Oaklawn. Ringo also had his Ludwig kits retrofitted with this holder. This holder was later copied by Yamaha and used for all their lines beginning in the late 70s.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2015, 07:38:31 PM »

I understand that this is a very old thread, but I still think this is a great idea. I'd love to contribute, and I'm sure tons of other people on this website would too.

Do you have something to contribute, then?

I was just saying that if the occasion arose, I'd love to contribute to the project. Perhaps, doing some more writing-oriented work for this supposed book.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2015, 03:29:02 AM »

By the way, Dennis' first Camco kit originally had the horrible Camco tom holder, and was retrofitted with the groundbreaking Rogers Swivomatic hex tom holder. His later Camco kits were all fitted with the Swivomatic holders from the factory in Oaklawn. Ringo also had his Ludwig kits retrofitted with this holder. This holder was later copied by Yamaha and used for all their lines beginning in the late 70s.

In some of the earliest photos of the band, Dennis is seen playing various kits with no bass head logo, or a very small one - which of the various models would these have been?
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2015, 04:31:06 AM »

I documented Dennis' drums for my drum forum, so I'll list his various kits here.
        Slingerland Radio King-Black Diamond Pearl, 14x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 5.5 x 14 wood snare
        Gretsch Champagne Sparkle- 14x20 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 tom, 5x14 cob snare.
        Ludwig Champagne Sparkle- 14x20 bass, 8x12 tom, 9x13 tom, 16x16 bass, 5x14 supraphonic snare drum
        Camco Blue Moire- 14x20 bass, 8x12 tom, 14x14 floor tom, 5x14 matching wood snare w/tuxedo lugs, also used a 5x14 Camco C.O.B. snare and Ludwig Supra
         Camco White Moire- 14x20 bass, 8x12 tom, 14x14 floor tom, 5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic or 5x14 Rogers Powertone (metal)
         Rogers Black Onyx- 14x20 bass, 8x12 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 5x14 Rogers Powertone (metal)
         Camco 3-D Finish- 14x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 Floor tom, 5x14 matching snare and 5x14 Rogers Powertone
         Camco Blue Sparkle- 14x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 5x14 Rogers Powertone
         Camco Walnut (stain) finish-14x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 5x14 Rogers Powertone. Same kit (minus snare) as used by Doug Clifford of CCR.
         Rogers Blue Strata- 14x20 bass, 8x12 tom, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 5x14 matching Wood Powertone and 5x15 metal powertone
         Zickos Clear Acrylic- 18x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 10x14 tom, 16x16 floor tom, 16x18 floor tom, 5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic snare. This was probably Dennis' most famous         kit. There were actually two of these. Joe Pollard, inventor of the Syndrum, was the first Zickos endorser (signed just prior to Floyd Sneed of Three Dog Night). He had this kit when he played with the Beach Boys in the early 1970s, and had an identical set made for Ricky Fataar. When he left, the second Zickos kit stayed behind, which Dennis took over. Various pictures exist with two identical Zickos kits side by side on stage. Dennis generally used the 16x16 floor tom with this kit, but sometimes used the 16x18.
          Blaemire fiberglass concert toms- 8, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 concert toms (single-headed). These were identical to Hal Blaine's toms from his monster kit. Unfinished fiberglass with a mint green tint. These were part of the house kit at Brother studios, made by the late Alan Blaemire.
          Yamaha 9000 series Piano Black Lacquer-There were several of these sets, most with split lugs, but he was also pictured with early "Recording Customs", which were 9000 series birch shells with long, one-piece lugs.  Dennis is first pictured with Yamahas in the 1980 tour book, albeit in a much larger configuation than he normally used. His normal Yamaha set up consisted of a 14x22 bass drum, 10x12 and 11x13 toms, 16x16 and 16x18 floor toms.
       Not much is known about his early cymbals, but they were most likely Zildjians (also possibly Zilcos or Alejian's). His cymbals from the time he began using the Zickos were all Zildjian, with the 1970s "hollow" logo. He used these until the end, also adding a "China Boy" to the Yamaha kit.

There were also rental kits used for various tv appearances, the most famous being the Blue Shimmer Premier used on Top of the Pops. This kit was used by several acts, most notably Alan White when he appeared with John Lennon for the taping of "Instant Karma". He also used a Walnut Cortex Ludwig concert tom kit on the 1980 Mike Douglas show on the beach in Hawaii.

Ricky Fataar first used a Ludwig Mod Orange kit with a 14x22 bass, 9x13 tom, 16x16 floor tom and 5x14 Ludwig Supraphonic.  He also was pictured playing Dennis' Blue Strata Rogers kit (as was Mike Kowalski at the 1971 Central Park Show), a Sonor Kit (unknown whose these were) and his Natural Maple Gretsch kit (14x22 bass, 9x13 and 10X14 toms, 16x16 floor tom and 5x14 Ludwig metal snare). His last kit while a member of the Beach Boys was the aforementioned Zickos kit.).

Brilliant stuff, many thanks (From the Drummers Union  Grin)
drummer083
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2015, 04:45:45 AM »

The earliest photos of the boys playing live at a dance are the Slingerland Radio Kings. These are the photos with David in the band, with the guys wearing those bulky jackets. These were obviously second hand, as Slingerland had stopped using the "beavertail" lugs around 1955 and switched to the "Sound King" lug.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2015, 08:40:36 AM »

Didn't Brian recently mention in one of his fan-based Q&A's that the white Baldwin organ is still in the Beach Boys' storage somewhere.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2015, 08:55:27 AM »

Didn't Brian recently mention in one of his fan-based Q&A's that the white Baldwin organ is still in the Beach Boys' storage somewhere.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,19740.0.html

Hello Brian,

Ever since I've been a fan of yours, I've been fascinated by that white & gold Baldwin organ - an HT2R model, I believe - that was apparently given to you in 1966. What happened to that organ, do you still own it, or do you know who does?

Thank you for the music  Smiley

- Alan Priez, 26, from France

We used it on Heroes and Villains and Fall Breaks and Back to Winter and put it in our storage rehearsal place - we might still have it!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SBonilla
« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2015, 08:57:09 AM »

The band had a Kustom PA for rehearsing. It was black, looked like this: http://www.evansvintage.com/197_280_csupload_12345465.jpg?u=695655189
American Productions sold it (and some mics and cable) to me in about 1979. It was stolen in a house break-in in 1980.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 29, 2019, 02:07:53 AM »

If you are interested in rare vintage guitars, you should check out "Norman's Rare Guitars - Guitar of the day" on youtube. Some Beach Boys related guitars are featured as well. Look through the channel.

I believe Carl used this model during the late 60s.

Norman's Rare Guitars - Guitar of the Day: 1967 Fender Telecaster with Bigsby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=723AOW_RXno

I'm not sure what year Carl's Jaguar was from (too lazy to go through this thread, sorry) and https://equipboard.com/pros/carl-wilson has no mention of it either. Here's a '64:

Guitar of the Day: 1964 Fender Jaguar Olympic White | Norman's Rare Guitars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af0qbzWfDXE

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 11:39:03 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: September 13, 2019, 11:42:38 AM »

Does anyone know what kind of 12-string semi-accoustic guitar Al is playing during the Hawaii rehearsals 1967, the red one?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 13, 2019, 12:46:29 PM »

Does anyone know what kind of 12-string semi-accoustic guitar Al is playing during the Hawaii rehearsals 1967, the red one?

The answer and more photos can be found in this thread:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,16543.0.html

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: September 13, 2019, 01:13:02 PM »

Thanks! Will take a look.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2019, 11:58:57 AM »

Found this picture of Carl's ... is it a Gibson or Epiphone?

Another interesting object:

https://www.mauiinformationguide.com/blog/guitar-used-on-beach-boys-surfer-girl/

This guitar belonged to Bob Norberg and the article says it was used to "make" Surfer Girl. I don't know if they mean it was used on the actual album/song or something else. But I seem to remember seeing a home movie with Brian fooling around with a guitar that might actually be this one (see below). Maybe C-Man knows if this was ever used by the band.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2019, 12:58:12 PM »

Found this picture of Carl's ... is it a Gibson or Epiphone?

There are others more well versed in every weird BB guitar iteration than I. On first glance, that doesn’t look like one of Carl’s regularly-used guitars.

The guitar in this picture certainly has a Gibson neck/headstock, but the actual Gibson logo is missing (or obscured in the picture).

Carl had some sunburst Gibson 335s (or similar), but they had Bigsby tailpieces on them as I recall. He also played that Guild sunburst guitar, but this guitar pictured is obviously not a Guild (and I recall Carl’s guild had a Bigsby as well).

Carl later on had what appeared to be an Epiphone 12-string that at some point had the neck replaced with a Gibson neck.

Al played some burst 335-ish Gibsons over the years, though I don’t know if any of them looked quite like the one in his pic, with that particular tailpiece and a missing Gibson logo. He played a sunburst 335 as late as 1984 at least, but it also had a Bigsby tailpiece.

While it offers far from conclusive info, there is that 1980/81 interview Billy Hinsche conducted with Carl that someone posted a link to recently, and in that interview Carl lists the guitars he owns at that time, and a sunburst Gibson isn’t among the list:

BH: What guitars do you currently have in your collection?

CW: A sunburst Gibson Epiphone 12-string, a yellow Fender Stratocaster [named "Old Yeller"], a natural Gibson 335 with a Bigsby tailpiece, a red Epiphone 12-string, a white Fender Stratocaster, a black Les Paul, a sunburst Les Paul, a red Gibson 335, a tobacco sunburst Epiphone 12-string, an acoustic Martin Bicentennial D-76 [stolen from the Beach Boys' warehouse], a yellow Fender Telecaster, a blonde Fender Stratocaster, a red Baldwin 12-string, an acoustic Martin D-41, a jumbo Gibson J-200 and a Les Paul Jr.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2019, 01:55:55 PM »

The Bob Norberg guitar is a Silvertone, which was a lower quality budget model that was mostly sold to beginners through catalogs like Sears. It does look like the same guitar Brian is seen holding in the home movie. That would make sense since he was writing with, hanging with, and even living with Bob Norberg at that time.

If anything that guitar was used during the writing of Surfer Girl, unless someone has proof they used it at the Hite Morgan sessions for the early version of Surfer Girl.

Otherwise we have plenty of photos of the band recording at Capitol showing the Fender guitars they were using most at that time.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2019, 01:58:55 PM »

That sunburst 335 style hollowbody is absolutely not a Gibson or Epiphone, it's a knockoff of some kind but I need to research more to ID the make. A lot of those were imports that were labeled under a variety of brand names if they were named at all. I'll check into it. But it isn't close to a Gibson or Epiphone.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2019, 02:52:29 PM »

That sunburst 335 style hollowbody is absolutely not a Gibson or Epiphone, it's a knockoff of some kind but I need to research more to ID the make. A lot of those were imports that were labeled under a variety of brand names if they were named at all. I'll check into it. But it isn't close to a Gibson or Epiphone.

A knockoff would make sense given the lack of name on the headstock.

It could well still be of some vintage, as Fender and Gibson (and most everybody else I'm sure) are very particular about guarding their trademarks, and that often pertains particularly to the headstock design. A myriad of Gibson and Fender knockoffs abound no question (Fender and Gibson have arguably knocked off each other at times), but most tend to alter something simple like the headstock to avoid overt infringement.

I recall a friend back in the 80s or 90s who ordered a nice high end Tokai Strat clone, but their guitar got seized and guitars sawed in half at customs because they were exact (or close enough to exact) Strat clones down to the Fender headstock.

I've seen mini (as in, like 12-inch) Fender and Gibson replica guitars be yanked off eBay for infringement! They're so overzealous about it in some cases that actual licensed Fender products get pulled by mistake!

But I would imagine the farther back one goes in time, the more of a wild west situation it was when it comes to this stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2019, 06:34:31 PM »

The Bob Norberg guitar is a Silvertone "Stratotone" model 1421 guitar. These were hollow body guitars made between 1959-1963, sold by Sears. I believe the 1421 was the sunburst finish while the 1420 was the black finish. Someone said they would put the name "Stratotone" on the boxes so the Sears-Silvertone identity would be masked, and also as a nod to the obvious Fender Stratocaster brand name.

These go for between 400-700 US on the vintage market. Nothing special in terms of playability, sound, or collectible value...as I mentioned earlier, they were basic guitars you'd buy from Sears. Only odd/quirky feature were those bizarre D'Armond pickups.

The Norberg connection along with that home movie of Brian Wilson holding that same guitar would multiply its value considerably among Beach Boys collectors especially. There is 100% provenance on this guitar, and it's a damn cool instrument with that connection despite it being a budget guitar not worth much without that Brian Wilson connection.

Did the Boys ever play this in the studio? Who knows...but if it was Bob Norberg's guitar, and the guitarists in the Beach Boys already had their own much-higher quality guitars by the time they were recording in studios, why would they? Unless, as I said before, it got used on a Hite Morgan track, the logical connection is that this guitar was used when Brian and Bob Norberg were actively writing songs when they were together.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2019, 07:09:14 PM »

As for the supposed "Carl Wilson" guitar...we need more info from the original poster Rocker.

Where did this photo of that display come from, can you post a link to it? Does anyone have a photo of Carl with that exact guitar?

I ask because if that is on display at a museum or similar exhibit, and that guitar is supposed to be one of Carl's, I have *serious* doubts about that kind of claim. If it's some random private collector trying to display a no-name guitar in tribute to Carl, then they can do whatever they want. But if that belongs to a museum or exhibit, they need to check their research before saying that is or was a Carl Wilson guitar.

I've seen many, many photos of Carl and the guitars he played, researched quite a few too, etc...and that particular guitar is one I have never seen Carl holding or playing.

That guitar - and please correct me if I'm missing something here - is a knock-off. If it's 60's vintage, it's most likely from Japan, from either a known maker like the Ibanez factory, or one of dozens of randomly branded guitar models that came from Japan.

Red flags: No branding or name at all on that guitar. Nothing, unless the photo doesn't show it.

Big red flag: That tailpiece on the guitar is unlike any I can remember, or find examples of. It's one of the more cheap-looking ones I've seen, and no other brands I've found have a tailpiece like it. It is bizarre. I'm sure someone out there who is an expert on pawn shop guitars would know it, but I have never seen a guitar with a pseudo-trapeze tailpiece quite like that design. And that is not a good thing, lol.

So unless a photo exists of Carl Wilson actually holding or playing that guitar, if someone is claiming that was Carl's guitar in a public exhibit type of scenario, they need to check some of their info.

Carl Wilson did not play guitars like that one in the display case, unless someone can prove otherwise.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2019, 09:16:25 PM »

It looks like there may have been a name on the headstock at one point, and it wore off.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2019, 01:13:11 AM »

Something I learnt recently is that there's no high-hat on most Beach Boys records, supposedly. BW doesn't/didn't like the sound and instructed Dennis/Hal accordingly
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:13:41 AM by UEF » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2019, 04:54:29 AM »

Re: The Silvertone guitar:

Bob might be playing this guitar on this recording.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-P18A7_YnM

Producer, Associated  Performer, Vocalist: Brian Wilson
Producer, Associated  Performer, Guitar: Robert Norberg
Studio  Personnel, Mixer, Mastering  Engineer: Mark Linett
Composer  Lyricist: Brian Wilson
Composer  Lyricist: Roger Christian

As for the supposed "Carl Wilson" guitar...we need more info from the original poster Rocker.

Where did this photo of that display come from, can you post a link to it?

I found it via a google search. This is the site it was on:

https://www.pinterest.com/loriafrancisco/hardrock-punta-cana-memorabilia/

You can actually zoom in but I can't decipher what the sign says.

- Jack Rieley
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2019, 07:19:52 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:56:48 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2019, 08:10:52 AM »

Where did this photo of that display come from, can you post a link to it? Does anyone have a photo of Carl with that exact guitar?

I ask because if that is on display at a museum or similar exhibit, and that guitar is supposed to be one of Carl's, I have *serious* doubts about that kind of claim. If it's some random private collector trying to display a no-name guitar in tribute to Carl, then they can do whatever they want. But if that belongs to a museum or exhibit, they need to check their research before saying that is or was a Carl Wilson guitar.

I've seen many, many photos of Carl and the guitars he played, researched quite a few too, etc...and that particular guitar is one I have never seen Carl holding or playing.

That guitar - and please correct me if I'm missing something here - is a knock-off. If it's 60's vintage, it's most likely from Japan, from either a known maker like the Ibanez factory, or one of dozens of randomly branded guitar models that came from Japan.

Red flags: No branding or name at all on that guitar. Nothing, unless the photo doesn't show it.

Big red flag: That tailpiece on the guitar is unlike any I can remember, or find examples of. It's one of the more cheap-looking ones I've seen, and no other brands I've found have a tailpiece like it. It is bizarre. I'm sure someone out there who is an expert on pawn shop guitars would know it, but I have never seen a guitar with a pseudo-trapeze tailpiece quite like that design. And that is not a good thing, lol.

So unless a photo exists of Carl Wilson actually holding or playing that guitar, if someone is claiming that was Carl's guitar in a public exhibit type of scenario, they need to check some of their info.

Carl Wilson did not play guitars like that one in the display case, unless someone can prove otherwise.

It looks like the guitar has a signature/autograph on it, in between the top f-hole and the tailpiece. While it's blurry, it looks similar to Carl autographs I've seen. 

My guess is that someone had this knockoff guitar autographed by Carl at some point, and *that's* the connection. I would imagine these Hard Rock Cafe locations all around the world would have to struggle to find truly unique, rare items to display, especially instruments with true provenance. In this case, I would imagine they justify that the display is paying tribute to Carl, and it's *a* guitar (and I guess arguably vaguely on the surface similar to guitars he used in terms of it being a sunburst semi-hollow body with two cutaways, etc.), and he signed it at some point. I wouldn't expect that the Hard Rock Cafe in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic would have one of Carl's actual regularly-used guitars on display. Normally, I'd say the likely scenario is that these places snag some sort of guitar that a well-known guitar player may have owned (or been given) at some point, but rarely or never actually used. Like when various fancy Hofner basses turn up now and then that are said to have been "made for Paul McCartney" or attempted to be given to him, but he never actually took receipt of it and/or never used it.

Kind of reminds me of this:

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx