gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:33:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Gear  (Read 84061 times)
Susan
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2006, 12:32:08 PM »

Hm.  Don't know where my post went...but in terms of the larger project - a one-stop BB reference book - i think it's a great idea.  I hereby offer my services as editor, because my own knowledge of BB minutiae is not worth repeating, but i love to edit and revise writing.  So...keep that in mind, all who decide to contribute.

And if nobody else wants to act as project manager, i suppose i would be willing to do that, too.

All of My Dad's Truck's on-line tracks all in one place!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2006, 09:51:34 AM »

Anything new on this, aeijtzsche ?  I think the topic is too interesting to let it go down.... Wink

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2006, 10:40:11 AM »

Dennis also used Zeco drums for a few years, and as late as 1982 had kept a set to record on (according to an interview Carl did that year with Geoffrey Himes for "Musician" magazine, published the following year).

C-Man
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2006, 10:42:32 AM »

Dennis also used Zeco drums for a few years, and as late as 1982 had kept a set to record on (according to an interview Carl did that year with Geoffrey Himes for "Musician" magazine, published the following year).

C-Man

You got that interview? Could you scan it and post it here?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2006, 12:57:28 PM »

Anything new on this, aeijtzsche ?  I think the topic is too interesting to let it go down....

Nothing new, it is too interesting to let go, but unfortunately whatever chemical imbalance I'm apparently afflicted with causes me to lose interest in even things I find terribly interesting.  So I don't know if this will go any farther or not.
nosticker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2006, 02:30:02 PM »

C-Man

Don't you mean Zickos, the acrylic drums?

Dan
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2006, 02:46:26 PM »

aeijtzsche, please don't let this slip away- it's a great idea, and you should think BOOK.  Books don't always get published just because they're a great commercial idea- they also happen when the writer pursues something he's passionate about and believes in.  You've also got a great support group right here at this site.  I'm personally willing to help you keep yourself motivated by coming over to your house and  tossing you a fish every time you complete a new chapter.

A project like this, in which you already have the priceless endorsement of Steve Desper as a letter of introduction, would enable you to interview people like Billy Hinsche, Steve Korthof, Hal Blaine, Carol Kaye, and Al Jardine- that's gotta be a dream job.

I suggest that you begin by compiling all the information you have, and then adding to it whatever's within easy reach, and then outlining what you need next and where to get it.  In other words, the project can organize itself as you go, which will make it much less intimidating.

By the time you publish this you'll know that the audience in much larger than just the Beach Boys fan club.  All kinds of band people, Fender freaks, and surf music lovers will be interested. Do it.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2006, 05:51:31 PM »

C-Man

Dan

Not sure...could be...but "Zecos" is the way it was spelled in the interview, and I just dropped the "s" the same way I would if I was saying "a set of Camco drums" instead of "Camcos".   Back then, I hadn't heard of Camcos or Zecos, despite having been a drummer myself a few years earlier!  Since then, of course, I've seen the Dennis Wilson-endorsed Camco ads.  But Zecos, or Zickos, I know nothing of.  Were these the cool see-through drums Dennis played in the late '70s?

C-man

nosticker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 13, 2006, 07:11:20 PM »

C-Man

Dan

Not sure...could be...but "Zecos" is the way it was spelled in the interview, and I just dropped the "s" the same way I would if I was saying "a set of Camco drums" instead of "Camcos".   Back then, I hadn't heard of Camcos or Zecos, despite having been a drummer myself a few years earlier!  Since then, of course, I've seen the Dennis Wilson-endorsed Camco ads.  But Zecos, or Zickos, I know nothing of.  Were these the cool see-through drums Dennis played in the late '70s?

C-man

The very same.  Zickos(always plural) are even made today, albeit improved.  They were actually the first to come out with an acrylic drum, though Ludwig got the most attention, followed somewhere by Fibes.  Slingerland and Sonor also made acrylics for a while.

Camco morphed into the omnipresent DW drums that we know today(be glad I spared you the long version!) Smiley

Dan
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2006, 08:03:51 PM »

C-Man

Dan

C-man

The very same.  Zickos(always plural) are even made today, albeit improved.  They were actually the first to come out with an acrylic drum, though Ludwig got the most attention, followed somewhere by Fibes.  Slingerland and Sonor also made acrylics for a while.

Camco morphed into the omnipresent DW drums that we know today(be glad I spared you the long version!) Smiley

Dan

Too late...I'd already seen the "long version" online some months back.  But thanks for trying!  Smiley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2006, 04:46:07 AM »

Did you see the news on the uncanny-blog  about Al's signature Strat ? We had that topic some time ago, but then it didn't seem as clear I believe....

- Jack Rieley
Paul Childs
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2006, 09:04:58 AM »

There is a picture of them at the moment on the  'brian wilson-fans.com' message board under 'Brian on drums' and in the picture Carl is playing a white Fender X11 twelve string, it can be seen if you look closely.

Also while I'm logged in, on the back cover of 'Pet Sounds' one of the pictures of them on stage shows them with what look like VOX AC30 amplifiers, I don't know if they are? 
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2006, 08:21:14 PM »

As this topic comes back up, it's worth pointing out, aeijtzsche, that your position for writing this book has dramatically improved recently.  You should really be thinking about it.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2006, 10:06:44 PM »

Yeah, I know...
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 25, 2014, 07:12:24 AM »

Never a bad time to revisit the past right?  Hello 2006!

So, what ever became of our gear info quest?  Was any of the info collected kept anywhere other than this thread?

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 25, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »

Idk about the post, but a dern shame this never materialized.
I know there's some basic info in Jon's BB FAQ book about their preferred instruments.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 25, 2014, 02:11:33 PM »

I could be dearly wrong, but I think Carl used a sunburt Stratocaster in Melbourne in 1992.....

I believe he used it on one song, 'hot fun in the summertime'......

didn't see it mentioned earlier, perhaps I missed it...

RickB
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2014, 02:45:48 PM »

Yeah, I know...

Blast from the past update......?

Still have your notes from the info you collected?  Post them here so we at least can compare and discuss what you had to that point.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2014, 03:19:38 PM »

I could be dearly wrong, but I think Carl used a sunburt Stratocaster in Melbourne in 1992.....

Justyn Wilson owns (and uses) that guitar now.
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2014, 04:19:52 PM »

actually I believe I have a few pics from the show, with one definitely with the strat......

but the images are terribly blurry, done with a 'shotty' camera......

pre digital folks.....  Roll Eyes

RickB
kookadams
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2014, 12:54:19 PM »

FWIW, I've seen pics of Dennis with several different setups over the years--Rogers, Camco(obvious from endorsement ads), Slingerland, Premier, and Yamaha at the end.
Maybe Mike Kowalski would know some more?  He mentioned that Denny gave him one of the Yamaha kits in a recent interview.

Dan
dennis first had a champagne sparkle Gretsch, then mostly Rogers and Camco in the 60s... a Zickos in the 70s and lastly a black Yamaha... altho I have seen photos of him using Premier, Sonor and Ludwig...
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2014, 10:02:28 AM »

Bumping in hopes that if any info was collected for this in the past, it can be posted here even if it's not complete.

rocky1023
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2014, 08:51:27 PM »

This is some info on Denny's drums, I spoke to his son, who was in a band called In Bloom, via email. I asked about the Zickos drums, and he indeed has them, in fact they were on loan to a exhibit in LA until recently. He told me that he found them in one of the band warehouses, and they were in need of repair. The Jardine's had them for a while too. Again this info was given to me by the son.

I spoke with Bobby Figeroua after a Al show and he told me that Dennis used to hit so hard he would break the drums, the Black Yamahas were always getting new mounts and replacement toms because he broke them.

Rocky!

I went through all kinds of changes, took a look at myself and said that's not me!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2015, 08:30:11 AM »

I understand that this is a very old thread, but I still think this is a great idea. I'd love to contribute, and I'm sure tons of other people on this website would too.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2015, 08:34:12 AM »

I understand that this is a very old thread, but I still think this is a great idea. I'd love to contribute, and I'm sure tons of other people on this website would too.

Do you have something to contribute, then?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx