gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:03:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Vocal edits, punch-ins + copy/paste vocals in BB songs  (Read 3337 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 23, 2018, 10:53:07 AM »

Curious to see what examples people might come up with for this topic.

I've always loved to discover new tidbits of info regarding what parts in BB songs might be vocal edits/splices... such as the previously unknown (to many fans, at least) edit where Brian comes in during Good Vibrations on the "when I look" part during the lyric "when I look (Brian)...in her eyes (Carl)".

In that GV instance, I sorta feel like Brian wanted it to seem like it was the same vocalist singing the whole line (to the listener's ears), and that it was an attempt at sleight of hand. As opposed, to say, the parts in That's Not Me, where Brian jumps in with "you needed my..." where he's very obviously just a new vocalist finishing off the lyrical idea that Mike started singing in the previous line.

Of course, the GV intent is completely subjective and debatable. Another obvious edit/splice is during the group vocals on And Your Dream Comes True.

Sometimes edits are obvious since reverb gets cut off, but other times edits are completely invisible and not known to us fans. One that I've always wondered if it's an edit or not is in the song Somewhere Near Japan, after Carl sings "old times sake", is it an edit to the next line where he sings "though I know you're gonna break my heart"?

Obviously as the years have worn on, we've gotten many more edits/splices, copy/paste jobs, etc as the band members have aged, and their vocal chops have declined (not to mention their patience in the studio most likely). I sorta feel like the chorus vocals on Someone to Love from Sweet Insanity are copy/pasted over and over again on each chorus, but of course I could be wrong.

Side question: are there any studio vocal leads on BB songs have no (or virtually no) edits/punch-ins? Where it's essentially a live studio vocal?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 10:57:12 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
KDS
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2018, 11:08:17 AM »

Side question: are there any studio vocal leads on BB songs have no (or virtually no) edits/punch-ins? Where it's essentially a live studio vocal?

I'd think there are a few on the Surfin Sufari album.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 11:16:46 AM »

In the single version of Isn't It Time, with the changed lyrics, Al's chorus vocal is spliced rather lazily. I think the specific phrase in the chorus "all of those things" is common to both versions, the same recording.

Wontcha Come Out Tonight: Brian's vocal in each refrain is the same recording.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:26:03 PM by Gabo » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »

Brian’s falsetto on Getcha Back?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 12:46:43 PM »

The Made in the USA version of WIBN, which is an earlier rough mix, has a different lead by Brian during the two verses, but I think his vocal at the end during "you know it seems the more we talk about it" is perhaps the same as in the final Pet Sounds version.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:11:58 PM by Gabo » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 01:44:36 PM »

Wontcha Come Out Tonight: Brian's vocal in each refrain is the same recording.

If this isn't true, I'd be especially surprised. I was listening to it (via the UK CD version of Ten years of Harmony) and the way it goes from the verse to the chorus, you can pretty much hear the point where they pasted the chorus in.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 12:09:36 PM »

God Only Knows-- Brian punched himself in to replace Carl on the lead line for the coda to the end.  You can hear this on the original/known mono version.  On the stereo reissues, it's Carl.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 09:57:38 PM »

Don’t know if live albums are included but the Knebworth Concert grates for me. Not able to watch at the moment so no specific songs but double vocal tracking on California Girls from memory was bad. Also hearing Al’s voice yet on the DVD he is not even singing into the mic is pretty bad.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 10:13:49 PM »

Don’t know if live albums are included but the Knebworth Concert grates for me. Not able to watch at the moment so no specific songs but double vocal tracking on California Girls from memory was bad. Also hearing Al’s voice yet on the DVD he is not even singing into the mic is pretty bad.

I cannot make it through it due to the Autotune on Cali Girls. Is that the earliest instance of Autotune on a BBs' release? (Imagination excluded, being a solo release).
Wiggy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 05:33:24 PM »

In You Need A Mess Of Help To Stand Alone, I think the vocal breakdown from the middle of the song (She don’t know...) is c+p into the fade-out at the end (at least to my ears !)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx