gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:23:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Questions about the demise of Smile  (Read 2028 times)
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2018, 08:17:58 PM »

Why did Dennis and Carl hold their first sessions conveniently during Smile?

Was it because they sensed Brian was perhaps losing it a little bit and they wanted to help contribute to the album and help finish it?

Was it Brian showing them the ropes because he knew he was losing the plot and wanted help? Or because he knew he would be retreating soon and wanted them to continue on whether with the album or as the main contributors?

I find it very odd that Dennis and Carl’s songs from this era have a very uniquely Smile flavor to them compared to anything they would write beyond this album.

Next, where was Al and Bruce at during this period?

Al seemed to have no interest in contributing material or doing sessions like Carl Dennis that we know about; despite being more than capable musically.

Bruce was an accomplished musician/producer at the time but we don’t have anything from
Him around this era either.

It must have been obvious to the boys that Brian may be losing the album - why (when this became apparent) - would they not try to band together as they would eventually? Instead they began work on Smiley Smile which is just as bewildering as Smile. Seems strange considering there was a lot of friction in the band over this direction and they as a unit double downed on it almost.

Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 05:32:26 AM »

Good questions. You might have a point there. Earlier albums were pretty quick and focused sessions, but with Smile the project dragged on and on and even Brian did all kinds of extracurricular things (Teeter Toter etc), in that free-for-all atmosphere it must have been easier for other guys to offer their two cents.

By the way, I think both Carl's and denny's tracks are great! Especially Carl's. Should have been on the album.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:07:05 AM »

early in 1967 David Anderle convinced Brian to start the Brother Records label, and it was this new label that facilitated solo beach boys recording projects for dennis & carl
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 07:11:55 AM »

Carl and Denny's tracks? Never heard of them contributing songs to Smile. What songs are they?
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 07:16:12 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:08:28 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 09:49:13 AM »

Carl's and Dennis' tracks as heard on the Smile Sessions box were *not* Smile tracks, nor were they intended to be on the album.

It was Brian mentoring and teaching Carl and Dennis how to make records and produce sessions. Call it on the job training, or better yet, an apprenticeship where they could get their hands on the board and learn how to cut records in the studio.

The fact they came out sounding like Smile tracks is because that's where Brian was at the time, that's what his music and the musicians he was hiring sounded like, and therefore it filtered down to Carl and Dennis. I'm guessing and probably pretty accurately so that if they had done this apprenticeship kind of thing during Fall 1967, the tracks would come out sounding like Wild Honey on one side, or Redwood on the other.

Brother Records was being set up with one of the main goals being an outlet for the Beach Boys to scout and record/produce outside artists of their own choosing, along with their own solo side projects if they wanted, almost exactly the model or template used by The Beatles when setting up Apple Corp. But part of setting up such a structure would require the band members to learn how to produce and cut records, so they booked studio time to learn and practice the craft.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 01:43:57 PM »

I find it very odd that Dennis and Carl’s songs from this era have a very uniquely Smile flavor to them compared to anything they would write beyond this album.

I'd say that's true for Carl but not Dennis. There's a lot of things in Dennis' canon that evoke the Smile vibe IMO

This 1:23 - 1:50 certainly evokes Smile if not outright  copying it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0pgO6B5bQA
This feels Smile influenced to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMoyY_08JvI
This too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmWjnncb6vk
The backing track here too feels Smile-ish to me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEoDkszVyM0

Tons more if you sift through Dennis' work. I don't think he ever let go, or got over, what he absorbed from Brian's Smile period. To me it was one of his most frequently visited veins of creativity.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 02:01:22 PM »

I once said that if Pacific Ocean Blue is Dennis's "Pet Sounds", then Bambu is his "Smile". Specifically "Album Tag Song". Although it may not have been recorded during Bambu(I'd have to check), I think it reflects his more experimental side. The same goes for "Are You Real" to a certain extent.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx