gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:02:50 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine - The Unsung Hero of BASS GUITAR  (Read 12448 times)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 04:42:05 PM »

I saw Al playing bass with the BBs on at least one number in Dec. 1984.

Yeah, I saw him play bass on "Fun Fun Fun" that August (maybe "Babara Ann" too...I know he played the bass on that one at the July 5th '81 Long Island show...)
I've seen Al play piano, twice - both times on "Be True To Your School" (in '82 and '84), and electronic drums on that same song (meaning, "Be True To Your School"...not "That Same Song") in '86. Talented guy - especially when it comes to that song! Smiley
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 10:22:57 PM »

He played electronic drums live? That’s pretty cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2018, 01:28:19 AM »

I saw Al playing bass with the BBs on at least one number in Dec. 1984.

Yeah, I saw him play bass on "Fun Fun Fun" that August (maybe "Babara Ann" too...I know he played the bass on that one at the July 5th '81 Long Island show...)

Wow, I never noticed that and I've seen this show a couple of times. Seems like Ernie Knapp is playing Al's guitar and Bruce is too occupied hugging Dean Torrence and Adrian Baker.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2018, 09:20:08 AM »

While I'm probably a bigger champion than most anyone of the idea of Al as a stronger musician than people tend to think, it's worth noting that a lot of his latter-day brief bits playing bass (or doing percussion, etc.) on a song or two here and there was really just more of a novelty and/or out of necessity because whomever was normally playing bass had moved to some other instrument for a song (and/or Al just messing around and switching to bass for a song).

You'll notice that Ed Carter would switch over to lead guitar for "Barbara Ann" and "Help Me Rhonda" in the 80s and Brian or Mike Meros would move to Bruce's keyboard while Bruce moved over onto bass.

In later years, Ed Carter would switch to lead guitar for "Summer In Paradise" and Billy Hinsche would switch to bass.

I think Al was just filling a similar role when he did the same.

Weirdest on-stage Al bit: It might just be Al singing *without* an instrument for "Buzz Buzz Buzz" in 1984. Much like Carl with "What You Do To Me" in 1983, these guys both don't do well without a guitar strapped on. It's just weird. Same goes for Brian when did the same.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2018, 09:23:33 AM »

I did not know that Al played bass too, and I'm impressed.
"Only four strings"? Of course it may have been easy for you, Al, but it's not so easy really. Just check a YouTube tutorial about good bass playing...

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »

I also think most of the BBs had their musicianship skills atrophy to varying degrees over the years, especially once they were rarely recording and the live setlist became pretty stale.

They were all full-time, working musicians back in 1963/64, etc., so I think they were all just more easily adaptable to things like playing bass, or doing leads, or whatever.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »

Is that Long Island concert on YouTube? I'm interested in seeing it.

While I'm probably a bigger champion than most anyone of the idea of Al as a stronger musician than people tend to think, it's worth noting that a lot of his latter-day brief bits playing bass (or doing percussion, etc.) on a song or two here and there was really just more of a novelty and/or out of necessity because whomever was normally playing bass had moved to some other instrument for a song (and/or Al just messing around and switching to bass for a song).

You'll notice that Ed Carter would switch over to lead guitar for "Barbara Ann" and "Help Me Rhonda" in the 80s and Brian or Mike Meros would move to Bruce's keyboard while Bruce moved over onto bass.

In later years, Ed Carter would switch to lead guitar for "Summer In Paradise" and Billy Hinsche would switch to bass.

I think Al was just filling a similar role when he did the same.

Weirdest on-stage Al bit: It might just be Al singing *without* an instrument for "Buzz Buzz Buzz" in 1984. Much like Carl with "What You Do To Me" in 1983, these guys both don't do well without a guitar strapped on. It's just weird. Same goes for Brian when did the same.

Could Billy Hinsche play everything?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 12:47:54 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2018, 03:32:25 PM »

Cool thread! Thanks, everybody. Wiki lists Brian as bass & Al as rhythm guitar in DWB. But yrplace says Al, in fact, played bass which means Brian played rhythm guitar. Interesting. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2018, 07:28:18 PM »

Cool thread! Thanks, everybody. Wiki lists Brian as bass & Al as rhythm guitar in DWB. But yrplace says Al, in fact, played bass which means Brian played rhythm guitar. Interesting. 3D
Brian played piano on DWB (definitely not rhythm guitar).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2018, 09:26:24 AM »

Yeah - Carl played the rhythm guitar on the "DWB" basic track. The lead guitar was overdubbed - possibly by David Marks, according to him - even though he was officially out of the band by then (this was discussed on an earlier thread).
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2018, 03:27:57 PM »

Yeah - Carl played the rhythm guitar on the "DWB" basic track. The lead guitar was overdubbed - possibly by David Marks, according to him - even though he was officially out of the band by then (this was discussed on an earlier thread).

How likely is it that David Marks played it? I know we're not entirely sure, and I'm not sure which thread it was (and the search function isn't always helpful).
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 08:24:01 AM »

Thanks, Mr. Stebbins & Mr. Slowinski. This line-up in DWB is revelation to this fan. It brings new colors to the song, if it makes sense (usually, who plays what is crucial to hear song this or that way imo).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:34:09 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 08:40:52 AM »

Thanks, Mr. Stebbins & Mr. Slowinski. This line-up in DWB is revelation to this fan. It brings new colors to the song, if it makes sense (usually, who plays what is crucial to hear song this or that way imo).

Once Al rejoined the band, the typical studio lineup for basic tracks (not always, but typically) had Brian on piano, Al on bass, Dennis on drums, David on rhythm guitar (until he left), and Carl on lead guitar (until David left).  Once Dave left, Carl began playing rhythm guitar on the basic, and overdubbing the lead guitar. Not 100% of the time, but like I said this was pretty typical.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 08:50:32 PM »

Another interesting thing to note, perhaps, is that for a lot of the tracks upon which Al played bass, he not only had to play bass once, but twice.  Lots of bass doubling.  Great sound.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2018, 06:14:00 AM »

But what would be the need to have David play the lead on DWB? Was Carl on the road during that time?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 03:29:12 AM »

But what would be the need to have David play the lead on DWB? Was Carl on the road during that time?

Who knows - not likely that reason, though, as Dave recalls Brian producing the guitar overdub session - meaning, if Carl was on the road with the band, they would have only been a four-piece...so, not likely.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 04:26:32 AM »

Who knows - not likely that reason, though, as Dave recalls Brian producing the guitar overdub session - meaning, if Carl was on the road with the band, they would have only been a four-piece...so, not likely.

Hm, interesting. It's not like the solo is complicated and could only be performed by certain players. Maybe it was just a nod to David.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2018, 06:43:44 AM »

Yeah but isn't Brian singing his Lead Vocal with someone playing the Guitar Overdub at the same. I know Brian had to have Takes in order to perfect the Lead Vocal and there is evidence of this on the Stereo Session Outtake on MIC. While he's singing differently with that take, the guitar sounds also different. So every time Brian sang another take, the Guitar would had to have been played; like on In The Parkin' Lot. Unless, Brian sang the Lead Vocal and then had Chuck rewind the tape, so David could add the Intro and Solo. Maybe Mark or someone can explain this. Brian was sure creative with Three Tracks.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx