gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:10:43 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBN in final (?) Nancy comic strip  (Read 23666 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2018, 09:48:24 PM »

If a small segment of people would start a ruckus when a fan showed up and posted, maybe that small segment is the problem that should be addressed.

Bingo...that segment. Problem is, it comes off more as "Oh, I don't like Craig or Billy so I'll post that all the people at SS are blah blah blah" with a few people at PSF, and of course the other way around.

Maybe the course would be to name the specific people directly (us here , and there at PSF) instead of lumping every body to gether

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2018, 11:49:12 PM »

FYI...I showed my wife the edited cartoon with Here Comes the Night, and she’s dying laughing right now 😂

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2018, 01:14:00 AM »

If you're trying to insinuate that I hijacked the thread, and not the string of 5 immediately preceding your original post that is ridiculous.

But isn't the fact that a brand new publication, the comic printed in 2018, went out of its way to list "Wilson/Asher"... which contradicts the "new" revised credits? That is a topic worthy of discussion, which then led to a topic of the whole issue with the credits having been revised in the 1st place, which naturally pisses some people off because Mike's name on the credits is still (and will always be) a source of debate/contention to most fans who are knowledgeable about the history.

But it's not like there's zero relation to the original topic.  Conversations (either in real life, or on message boards) will often lend themselves to other topics that are related.

If the original comic had not been a panel with WIBN, but instead had been a panel with a topic about Al Jardine's preferred brand of t-shirts, I somehow doubt it would have led his line of messages into the discussion topic of Mike Love and his crediting overreaching.

But the comic went out of its way to show a now-outdated WIBN credit. So why is it "hijacking" for that comic to lend itself naturally to a discussion about the credits for that song?  We are nerds. We know the history of that song, and the revised credit, and that is only natural to become a topic of discussion as a result.

It's not rocket science why it went there; Mike himself, via so, so many of his actions over the years, has done stuff that many fans find in poor taste, crass (even Al Jardine publicly stated such - imagine what he must say/think privately!) ... essentially Mike has spread his own tentacles over so much of the story of the band, that when those things he has done - which many think are bad, egocentric, narcissistic decisions - are innumerable, it's only natural that perhaps a larger percentage of topics (when compared to other members) might eventually go down that road of discussing Mike critically, even if the original topic wasn't specifically about that, but tangentially might naturally lead there.

In a nutshell, basically, you can't act the way Mike has for so many years without many things indirectly leading back to a discussion of him/his actions. It's not gonna happen every time of course. Mike has nobody to thank but himself for that unique distinction. I'm also certain that if Mike had long ago completely ceased with stoking the flames of smack-talking other members while comically trying to build himself up - people would be somewhat a little less inclined to naturally have topics veer in this direction.

I never said it was zero relation, I always maintained it as "little relation".  A writing credit whose revision most casual fans don't know about on a drawing of a 50 year old record in a frame of a comic strip that is ending.  That is "little relation".

If you step outside of this bubble for a minute, here are the most likely reasons for that cover:
1- Guy googled the WIBN single cover and drew it.
2- This was the record he had as a kid, with Wilson/Asher on it, or it's one that he picked up at a used record store as an adult.
46- He is expressing a subversive hatred of Mike by recognising that the credits were amended and going against the court decision in his drawing

What you're trying to defend isn't some sort of academic discussion about why the record appeared as it did, you're trying to defend your friends' immediate replies of "Mike is a litigous POS" or "He's gonna sue the comic strip".  You're trying to characterise that after the fact as some sort of Superfan Discourse that logically resulted from the OP.  What is telling is that in your own words here you use the reasoning of Mike being crass/in poor taste with his public behavior as grounds for these replies.  You show here, that the direction is merely "the guy sucks so obviously people will freely stick it to him whenever possible". 
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 21, 2018, 01:19:59 AM »

May I please ask about this one more time- after my original post in this thread, a user who was offended was calling me out in other threads that I wasn't a part of, and they also for whatever reason have multiple SSMB accounts and they used 2 accounts to talk smack to me.  Is one or both against the rules?  Will anything be done about that?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 01:28:31 AM by Kid Presentable » Logged
Forrest Gump
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 21, 2018, 03:05:21 AM »

Don’t know if anything will be done about what you ask for but this surley will happen:

Sixstringstool will log in with ten pages of babble when two sentences would do. He’d pretend to be the worlds greatest detective since Columbo. He’d spend two of those ten pages taunting to whoever about examples over and over, taunting like a first grade bully. Then ol sixstring would say bullshit and/or f*** over and over . Then pat himself on the back. Then the ten people who post regularly here would chime in.

This is what you can count on. The other mods blindly let sixstring do this over and over. No wonder long timers also left. But they let ol sixstring do this over and over. Real becoming of a mod.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 21, 2018, 03:37:07 AM »

I'm not going to criticise board moderators because it is hard and thankless.  I just want a clear and honest answer, whether publicly or privately.
SinisterSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 21, 2018, 03:43:38 AM »

I gotta agree with Kid Presentable. This thread was about a innocent/awesome tribute to a band that we love and it immediately gets derailed into the same tired circlejerk.

This shouldn't have been the time or place for that kinda talk.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 21, 2018, 05:10:45 AM »

Don’t know if anything will be done about what you ask for but this surley will happen:

Sixstringstool will log in with ten pages of babble when two sentences would do. He’d pretend to be the worlds greatest detective since Columbo. He’d spend two of those ten pages taunting to whoever about examples over and over, taunting like a first grade bully. Then ol sixstring would say bullshit and/or f*** over and over . Then pat himself on the back. Then the ten people who post regularly here would chime in.

This is what you can count on. The other mods blindly let sixstring do this over and over. No wonder long timers also left. But they let ol sixstring do this over and over. Real becoming of a mod.

Hey look guys it’s that guy who isn’t Steve Mayo but is Steve Mayo’s friend who uses Steve Mayo’s computer at Steve Mayo’s house who conveniently shows up sometimes to moan about the moderation here.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2018, 05:24:55 AM »

Fair enough.   But, it would be a lot easier to not take shots if I weren't accused of having an "endgame" (guitarfool) or "drinking the cool aid" (poster on BW Forum) when I post an opinion.   

I'd rather not do it, but this has to be corrected.

This was my "end game" post in question in context: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25544.msg629321.html#msg629321

And here it is for KDS to review, "end game" wording in bold:

Try some logic this time: All of the posts about Brian's health, how he looks frail on tour, how his stage presence is less enthusiastic than some think it should be (I guess...I have no idea), how it's a grueling schedule, how it must be hard on him, how bad it must be for his back, how it's hard being in your 70's and touring...

Seriously man, what's the end game to the point where all of that stuff keeps getting brought up in discussions? Why do you continue to bring it up, along with others, when Brian himself addressed the issue of his touring?

Is it not enough that the man himself as of a month ago says he misses touring?

If fans were to start saying the same things about Mike's touring, constantly harping on his appearance, his voice, mentioning his declining vocals, how he's not as agile as he was before on stage, his whole routine to where certain segments of the show are exactly the same as they were 5 years ago...you - KDS - would probably be among the first to say it was another case of "bashing" Mike.

So what is the end game with constantly posting about Brian's health issues and appearance when the topic of his tours comes up? Seriously.

I was all ready to mea culpa if I had actually accused KDS of having an "endgame", but I did not. It was a general, rhetorical type of question and comment both times. I asked twice, what is THE endgame. As in, why does this type of thing keep coming up over and over again.

KDS - I did not accuse *you* of having an "endgame" despite what you're telling people who read your post here. If I were accusing you I'd have said simply "KDS, what's your end game?". I did not.

I'd suggest reading more carefully before making accusations of what someone said.

I'd also suggest not following the lead of people like filledeplage who tended to pull this kind of thing when there was no factual ground to stand on to back up a claim - Just randomly make up quotes that never got said and things that never happened, run with it, and hope people believe it. I'd like to think you're above all that based on your posts about music.

I hope trying to clear that up didn't distract too much.
You asked me twice what the endgame is?  How the hell else am I supposed to take that? 

It's funny, rab lightened the mood with a good joke, things seemed to be calming down, and here you are again. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2018, 05:34:31 AM »

May I please ask about this one more time- after my original post in this thread, a user who was offended was calling me out in other threads that I wasn't a part of, and they also for whatever reason have multiple SSMB accounts and they used 2 accounts to talk smack to me.  Is one or both against the rules?  Will anything be done about that?

I would honestly call it a gray area: while two accounts aren’t allowed, OldSurferDude had an old account here that he got banned from, iirc he lost his sign-in information after a long-time ban and made the Legendary account. After that the mods let him reset his password for his original account but OSD just started using his Legendary account as well. I’d say since he’s not trying to hide his original monicker with his newer account (everyone knows they’re both OSD as both of their names imply) and everyone knows they’re the same poster it’s not really a problem.

As for him defending himself after you called his comment toxic pollution, as someone else said, you kinda put yourself in that situation. As for him dedicating a song to you, not sure if I’d classify that as bullying but get clarification from GF or Billy about that. I think I mentioned it before, but PMing both mods may give you a quicker response.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2018, 07:35:44 AM »

Happening since 2011 with Steve's aliases:

Maybe it isn't anything specific to the last few pages of this thread, but my point isn't to "argue" anything and instead to say I think Good Vibrations appeared on Smile in spite of what Brian was doing at the time with Smile: It was the current single and not part of a larger grand scheme Brian had in his mind for the song. Naturally the current single goes on the next album as I described a few minutes ago. Good Vibrations had as much to do with Smile as it did with Smiley Smile. There, I said it. Cheesy

I admit I'm a bit warped sometimes in my thinking, but I'd rather see Good Vibrations considered on its own merits as one of the best singles ever recorded instead of part of Smile, which I think detracts from the uniqueness of both GV the single and Smile the album project.

Jesus dude!!....do you yak and yak just for the sake of yaking?
Give it a little rest...Please!

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2018, 07:51:57 AM »

May I please ask about this one more time- after my original post in this thread, a user who was offended was calling me out in other threads that I wasn't a part of, and they also for whatever reason have multiple SSMB accounts and they used 2 accounts to talk smack to me.  Is one or both against the rules?  Will anything be done about that?

I would honestly call it a gray area: while two accounts aren’t allowed, OldSurferDude had an old account here that he got banned from, iirc he lost his sign-in information after a long-time ban and made the Legendary account. After that the mods let him reset his password for his original account but OSD just started using his Legendary account as well. I’d say since he’s not trying to hide his original monicker with his newer account (everyone knows they’re both OSD as both of their names imply) and everyone knows they’re the same poster it’s not really a problem.

As for him defending himself after you called his comment toxic pollution, as someone else said, you kinda put yourself in that situation. As for him dedicating a song to you, not sure if I’d classify that as bullying but get clarification from GF or Billy about that. I think I mentioned it before, but PMing both mods may give you a quicker response.

That's how I remember the situation and why there are two accounts in this case. The login was blocked on the original, so a new one was set up, and when all the board mechanics got sorted out, the old one was accessible too. Nothing underhanded going on, just an old issue which was preventing logins, and this account wasn't the only one which has had similar issues since.

That's how I remember it - If I'm wrong, please correct, but there were login issues if I recall.

It's not the same issue as, say, Steve or his multiple accounts coming on with aliases to bash me.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:52:40 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: February 21, 2018, 07:58:49 AM »

Fair enough.   But, it would be a lot easier to not take shots if I weren't accused of having an "endgame" (guitarfool) or "drinking the cool aid" (poster on BW Forum) when I post an opinion.   

This was my "end game" post in question in context: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25544.msg629321.html#msg629321

Try some logic this time: All of the posts about Brian's health, how he looks frail on tour, how his stage presence is less enthusiastic than some think it should be (I guess...I have no idea), how it's a grueling schedule, how it must be hard on him, how bad it must be for his back, how it's hard being in your 70's and touring...

Seriously man, what's the end game to the point where all of that stuff keeps getting brought up in discussions? Why do you continue to bring it up, along with others, when Brian himself addressed the issue of his touring?

If fans were to start saying the same things about Mike's touring, constantly harping on his appearance, his voice, mentioning his declining vocals, how he's not as agile as he was before on stage, his whole routine to where certain segments of the show are exactly the same as they were 5 years ago...you - KDS - would probably be among the first to say it was another case of "bashing" Mike.

So what is the end game with constantly posting about Brian's health issues and appearance when the topic of his tours comes up? Seriously.

I was all ready to mea culpa if I had actually accused KDS of having an "endgame", but I did not. It was a general, rhetorical type of question and comment both times. I asked twice, what is THE endgame. As in, why does this type of thing keep coming up over and over again.

KDS - I did not accuse *you* of having an "endgame" despite what you're telling people who read your post here. If I were accusing you I'd have said simply "KDS, what's your end game?". I did not.

I'd suggest reading more carefully before making accusations of what someone said.

I'd also suggest not following the lead of people like filledeplage who tended to pull this kind of thing when there was no factual ground to stand on to back up a claim - Just randomly make up quotes that never got said and things that never happened, run with it, and hope people believe it. I'd like to think you're above all that based on your posts about music.

You asked me twice what the endgame is?  How the hell else am I supposed to take that? 

It's funny, rab lightened the mood with a good joke, things seemed to be calming down, and here you are again. 

KDS - I was away for 8 hours+ working without access to the board. When I returned I saw your message posted while I was away which reminded me of what filledeplage used to do, which is misquote or twist what someone said to make an issue to argue and blame. You did that above. I was asking specifically what is *the* endgame not directed at you. If I had directed it at you specifically, as in accusing you of having an endgame, I would have said "KDS, what's your endgame?".

I already explained clearly in my reply. If you can't understand that or accept that, that's your call.

Don't make claims that I said or did something I did not do or say.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 21, 2018, 08:01:27 AM »

May I please ask about this one more time- after my original post in this thread, a user who was offended was calling me out in other threads that I wasn't a part of, and they also for whatever reason have multiple SSMB accounts and they used 2 accounts to talk smack to me.  Is one or both against the rules?  Will anything be done about that?

That's how I remember the situation and why there are two accounts in this case. The login was blocked on the original, so a new one was set up, and when all the board mechanics got sorted out, the old one was accessible too. Nothing underhanded going on, just an old issue which was preventing logins, and this account wasn't the only one which has had similar issues since.

That's how I remember it - If I'm wrong, please correct, but there were login issues if I recall.

It's not the same issue as, say, Steve or his multiple accounts coming on with aliases to bash me.

Hey now, it’s clearly Steve’s friend using Steve’s internet on Steve’s computer at Steve’s house. I mean, that account may link to another IP address but I promise it’s not Steve’s friend’s local public library!

Tbh, if there are actually aliases being used, Steve my man I’d suggest you invest in some VPN app to block your IP address, you could probably talk to Mike’s Beard about setting it up. But it goes a long way to masking your IP from mods on any forum.

KDS
« Reply #114 on: February 21, 2018, 08:05:35 AM »

KDS - I was away for 8 hours+ working without access to the board. When I returned I saw your message posted while I was away which reminded me of what filledeplage used to do, which is misquote or twist what someone said to make an issue to argue and blame. You did that above. I was asking specifically what is *the* endgame not directed at you. If I had directed it at you specifically, as in accusing you of having an endgame, I would have said "KDS, what's your endgame?".

I already explained clearly in my reply. If you can't understand that or accept that, that's your call.

Don't make claims that I said or did something I did not do or say.

You addressed the message about the endgame to me.   Multiple times.   If you can't see how I wouldn't think that it was directed to me, than that's your call.  Just because you didn't specifically say "KDS what's the endgame" doesn't mean that the question wasn't obviously directed at me, especially when you ask it multiple times.  

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2018, 08:18:28 AM »

KDS - I explained what I wrote to you twice, and here you are again.  Grin

KDS
« Reply #116 on: February 21, 2018, 08:33:58 AM »

You explained how you saw it. 

That's fine if that helps you sleep at night.   But, I don't see how that "endgame" stuff was not directed at me.  You asked me the same question multiple times on direct responses to my comments, so it really doesn't matter if you specifically put KDS or not. 

And by the way, guitarfool (just so you know for a fact that I'm 100% addressing you), you posted an argument you were in from 2011.   Where we are in 2018, and you're arguing with me just to argue, trying to childishly say that you didn't ask me a question when the evidence shows otherwise. 

And you really can't see how this board has a "toxic" reputation?  Because, I'll tell you, guitarfool2002, the SSMB has a toxic reputation not because of you.  There are a lot good posters here.  NateRuvin, RubberSoul13, GoogaMogla (apologies if I'm butchering the name), KidPresentable, etc etc. 

I've gotten into disagreements with rab, Rangerover, HeyJude, and Billy before, but we can still have civil and friendly discussions. 

But not you, guitarfool2002.  You have to keep on pushing and pushing. 

That is why this board has the reputation is has. 

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2018, 08:43:13 AM »

That's fine if that helps you sleep at night.   But, I don't see how that "endgame" stuff was not directed at me.  You asked me the same question multiple times on direct responses to my comments, so it really doesn't matter if you specifically put KDS or not. 

And by the way, guitarfool (just so you know for a fact that I'm 100% addressing you), you posted an argument you were in from 2011.   Where we are in 2018, and you're arguing with me just to argue, trying to childishly say that you didn't ask me a question when the evidence shows otherwise. 

And you really can't see how this board has a "toxic" reputation?  Because, I'll tell you, guitarfool2002, the SSMB has a toxic reputation not because of you.  There are a lot good posters here.  NateRuvin, RubberSoul13, GoogaMogla (apologies if I'm butchering the name), KidPresentable, etc etc. 

I've gotten into disagreements with rab, Rangerover, HeyJude, and Billy before, but we can still have civil and friendly discussions. 

You don't seem to get it, KDS. That quote from 2011 was an alias of the same account that "Forrest Gump" came from. I posted it to show that this bullshit with this guy has been happening since 2011. Same account, same M.O. If he has or had an issue with me, he could have addressed it to me publicly or privately under his real name and not hide twice behind fake aliases in order to take shots at me.

If you twist my words into something they were not, as your friend and former member filledeplage has been doing for years to suit whatever argument is raging, I will call it out.

KDS
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2018, 08:45:41 AM »

You don't seem to get it, KDS. That quote from 2011 was an alias of the same account that "Forrest Gump" came from. I posted it to show that this bullshit with this guy has been happening since 2011. Same account, same M.O. If he has or had an issue with me, he could have addressed it to me publicly or privately under his real name and not hide twice behind fake aliases in order to take shots at me.

If you twist my words into something they were not, as your friend and former member filledeplage has been doing for years to suit whatever argument is raging, I will call it out.

If that's the way you see it, more power to you. 

Did you ever question why said person has had a problem with you for seven years? 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2018, 08:50:35 AM »

If that's the way you see it, more power to you. 

Did you ever question why said person has had a problem with you for seven years? 

I hope that same person is enjoying the audio I traded with him, and in return I've enjoyed what he sent me. After that post in 2011. We had some good conversations off the board in between all that. Don't know why this alias stuff got involved, but perhaps that's an issue to be discussed privately. I never had a problem with him at all.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2018, 08:53:59 AM »

You see KDS, there is a lot of stuff that happens which you're unaware of, or which happened prior to you joining these forums, so before making assumptions or throwing charges on the table, you could always ask about the bigger picture first before assuming things are what you think they are when they're not. Or read my signature line for an example of simply refusing to accept what actually happened in favor of grinding an axe.

KDS
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2018, 09:00:36 AM »

You see KDS, there is a lot of stuff that happens which you're unaware of, or which happened prior to you joining these forums, so before making assumptions or throwing charges on the table, you could always ask about the bigger picture first before assuming things are what you think they are when they're not. Or read my signature line for an example of simply refusing to accept what actually happened in favor of grinding an axe.

I've read your signature lines.   The one quoting Wirestone about how anyone who criticized NPP for the non Beach Boys guests can go f**k themselves.   That's cute.  Very cute that, since I criticized the songs with Sebu and Kacey Musgraves, that a poster Wirestone can tell me in a blanket post to go f*** myself.   And a mod, agrees with the point so much that he makes it one of his signatures, therefore signing off on the notion that I can go f*** myself. 

I've made some snide comments, maybe even one or two unwarranted, on PSF.  But, I have never said anything like that. 

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2018, 10:03:49 AM »

If you're trying to insinuate that I hijacked the thread, and not the string of 5 immediately preceding your original post that is ridiculous.

But isn't the fact that a brand new publication, the comic printed in 2018, went out of its way to list "Wilson/Asher"... which contradicts the "new" revised credits? That is a topic worthy of discussion, which then led to a topic of the whole issue with the credits having been revised in the 1st place, which naturally pisses some people off because Mike's name on the credits is still (and will always be) a source of debate/contention to most fans who are knowledgeable about the history.

But it's not like there's zero relation to the original topic.  Conversations (either in real life, or on message boards) will often lend themselves to other topics that are related.

If the original comic had not been a panel with WIBN, but instead had been a panel with a topic about Al Jardine's preferred brand of t-shirts, I somehow doubt it would have led his line of messages into the discussion topic of Mike Love and his crediting overreaching.

But the comic went out of its way to show a now-outdated WIBN credit. So why is it "hijacking" for that comic to lend itself naturally to a discussion about the credits for that song?  We are nerds. We know the history of that song, and the revised credit, and that is only natural to become a topic of discussion as a result.

It's not rocket science why it went there; Mike himself, via so, so many of his actions over the years, has done stuff that many fans find in poor taste, crass (even Al Jardine publicly stated such - imagine what he must say/think privately!) ... essentially Mike has spread his own tentacles over so much of the story of the band, that when those things he has done - which many think are bad, egocentric, narcissistic decisions - are innumerable, it's only natural that perhaps a larger percentage of topics (when compared to other members) might eventually go down that road of discussing Mike critically, even if the original topic wasn't specifically about that, but tangentially might naturally lead there.

In a nutshell, basically, you can't act the way Mike has for so many years without many things indirectly leading back to a discussion of him/his actions. It's not gonna happen every time of course. Mike has nobody to thank but himself for that unique distinction. I'm also certain that if Mike had long ago completely ceased with stoking the flames of smack-talking other members while comically trying to build himself up - people would be somewhat a little less inclined to naturally have topics veer in this direction.

I never said it was zero relation, I always maintained it as "little relation".  A writing credit whose revision most casual fans don't know about on a drawing of a 50 year old record in a frame of a comic strip that is ending.  That is "little relation".

If you step outside of this bubble for a minute, here are the most likely reasons for that cover:
1- Guy googled the WIBN single cover and drew it.
2- This was the record he had as a kid, with Wilson/Asher on it, or it's one that he picked up at a used record store as an adult.
46- He is expressing a subversive hatred of Mike by recognising that the credits were amended and going against the court decision in his drawing

What you're trying to defend isn't some sort of academic discussion about why the record appeared as it did, you're trying to defend your friends' immediate replies of "Mike is a litigous POS" or "He's gonna sue the comic strip".  You're trying to characterise that after the fact as some sort of Superfan Discourse that logically resulted from the OP.  What is telling is that in your own words here you use the reasoning of Mike being crass/in poor taste with his public behavior as grounds for these replies.  You show here, that the direction is merely "the guy sucks so obviously people will freely stick it to him whenever possible".  

Sure, and I really don't think many people on here really think/thought, truly, that there was any remote "good chance" that there was an underhanded "stick it to Mike" intent by the cartoonist. But being as Mike seems to have a history of finding ways to sue or get offended/feel slighted over things that many other people view as unwarranted (he can get upset over anything he wants of course, just as we can roll our eyes if he does), I don't see how people need to get upset over posters jokingly tying in Mike's history of actions into a conceivable (though unlikely) hypothetical Mike/Mike lawyer reaction.

Basically it comes down to fans venting. Many fans are frustrated to know that Mike has been so litigious - especially the 2005 nonsense lawsuit - and it's because of actions like that,  compounded by the omission of mentioning said lawsuit/ not expressing an iota of regret about it in his autobio (thus insulting the intelligence of fans, making it seem like simply omitting it will make negative sentiment over the issue magically "go away") has caused many people to half-jokingly (though understandably) want to make light of the sue-happy band member in order to bust the tough guy notion he's tried to create by puffing himself up all the time. It helps to laugh about it. Yes, it's gonna be at his expense, but again, there's a reason for that. Terrible actions, no public expression of regret, repeat, for decades will do that to a fanbase.

The flipside is that people like myself will also talk about the things I actually like and appreciate about Mike's contributions to the band. I think things only get toxic when people somehow cannot bring themselves to say/acknowledge Mike's good contributions. I cannot understand how disliking his behavior can translate to a frustrated fan saying that good lyrics/vocals are somehow not good. That refusal, I can agree, is toxic and nonsensical IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:31:34 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2018, 10:28:39 AM »

Okay, why does he continue to actively use 2 accounts then?  If there are no login issues anymore then 2 shouldn't be necessary.  They both have 1300-something posts on them.  If 2 accounts aren't allowed, then this shouldn't be allowed.  Unless the guy secretly pays the server fees for this board or something, and gets more freedom to disregard the rules that everybody else follows.

And this actually really isn't that far off from Steve.  Just that one (OSD) is overtly out in the open and the other one is marginally, but not very well, attempting to be cloaked and failing at it.  

And OSD has decided to be silent ever since his original posts, I assume because someone in leadership told him that he screwed up and he should lay low.  
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:29:42 AM by Kid Presentable » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2018, 10:34:39 AM »

That is not the case at all, you are so far off with your Mike Love censorship campaign....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx