gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:09:44 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBN in final (?) Nancy comic strip  (Read 23675 times)
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2018, 12:02:35 PM »

guitarfool you and I both know perfectly well that the vast majority of the members here did not interpret what I said as taking a shot directly at them.  And you saying that is just trying to play dumb to further your point.  

Show me a comment about "typical Red Sox fan BS" and I will show you 8 out of 10 Bostonians that are all "yup, I could see that"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:05:07 PM by Kid Presentable » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2018, 12:09:45 PM »

If you're trying to insinuate that I hijacked the thread, and not the string of 5 immediately preceding your original post that is ridiculous.

I think he’s saying that posters had a right to defend the negative generalization made about this forum as a whole. Had KDS not been expressing his pent-up angst about this forum the past couple days on the PS forum I doubt this thread would’ve veered off topic for 3 pages anyways.

I think people have a right to get annoyed at an out of place Mike jab (specifically my initial post here), but you opened a whole can of worms when you generalized the entire board.

Yes, sorry for projecting my pent up angst on another Beach Boys related board.   I think I had you pegged all wrong.   You are funny. 

No, what’s funny is you complaining that people post irrelevant negative comments here when you yourself post irrelevant passive aggressive comments about this forum in threads constantly on the PS Forum. Sorry if that irony escapes you, but its plain and simple for everyone else to see.

Constantly???   Give me a break.   I make a veiled reference to some absurd accusations thrown at me on SSMB a couple times, yet it's "constant."   

Here's a question.  If you have no interest in joining a forum, why bother lurking?  I post on both boards, as well as the BW Forum, and you'll see my opinions across both are pretty consistent. 

Its been far more than a couple times man. If you’ve got a problem with me, with OSD, with anyone who told you that you hate Brian Wilson, then do come out and say it...just be blunt about it. But stop generalizing the entire forum - that is and has been and will be my only point to this rather monotonous conversation.

And I lurk because I like to keep an eye on what is being said in the fan community. I will not join or participate on a forum that has members who previously did some really awful sh*t...but to stay informed about the goings on I will lurk there.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2018, 12:12:49 PM »

How about the two forums quit taking shots at each other? It's a small percentage of people, true, but my God it's just the internet and we're all fans of the same band, right?  Lumping everybody in the same quality is the main issue causing this  IMHO.

Here's a question.  If you have no interest in joining a forum, why bother lurking?  I post on both boards, as well as the BW Forum, and you'll see my opinions across both are pretty consistent.

I personally lurk because it would be mighty awkward to post there with the issues I've had with a small segment of posters there, and would likely prove to be disruptive. (I know that wasn't directed towards me; I just wanted to throw that out there)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »

How about the two forums quit taking shots at each other? It's a small percentage of people, true, but my God it's just the internet and we're all fans of the same band, right?  Lumping everybody in the same quality is the main issue causing this  IMHO.

I personally lurk because it would be mighty awkward to post there with the issues I've had with a small segment of posters there, and would likely prove to be disruptive. (I know that wasn't directed towards me; I just wanted to throw that out there)

Fair enough.   But, it would be a lot easier to not take shots if I weren't accused of having an "endgame" (guitarfool) or "drinking the cool aid" (poster on BW Forum) when I post an opinion.   
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2018, 12:33:52 PM »

To answer guitarfool's original questions to me.  He probably contributed very little to the song and he probably deserves little credit.  That is beside the point though.

Here is my view of this, maybe some people will understand where I am coming from.

-Original post about the ending of an 85 year old comic strip that makes a pretty touching sendoff involving WIBN.  One of BW's most enduring and iconic moments.
-Immediate response of some regulars going non-sequitur to the original post about the ML writing credit issue and the usual chuckling emojis. 
-I call it toxic.  It is extracting this obtuse little sticking point from the comic, that has been discussed often here, and doing some good ol' repetitive ML sh!tpostin'.  To me that is toxic.
-Board leadership responds and is like "wait, are you disputing the idiocy of the ML writing credit litigation?"  That is really frustrating, I am not disputing that at all.  Why is that the immediate takeaway here upon seeing the WIBN 45 in the comic strip?  That is probably the biggest question that I have.
-People call me an ML apologist, I think?  I am not, I don't like the guy and it is weird that people immediately think that.
-I am called out in a thread outside of this one that I didn't post in.  Some people mock me.  Multiple oldsurferdude accounts swipe at me.  All of this is okay I guess.
-This thread becomes more about Mike's writing credit litigation.  And, not very much about any of the numerous other directions that the original topic has afforded.  Now I bet someone will say "wellllll why didn't YOU post something constructive in the thread then?" as if that is the only way in which I can criticise. 
-I wonder why more people don't agree with me, and then go on with my day.  Later!
*applause*

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2018, 12:36:13 PM »

True, and I think when we have one or two people there making snide comments, it causes a reaction like you mentioned, which causes another comment, which results in another comment, repeat ad nauseum.  Maybe it would help if one would call the specific person(s) out instead of the entire forum (talking to all sides here)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2018, 12:55:57 PM »

I think the real problem we're all secretly having is that the original comic wasn't this:

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »

For their sake, I hope Nancy and her comic gang don't have to listen to that on loop for all of eternity. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2018, 12:59:53 PM »

That thought makes me feel bad about drawing it actually LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2018, 01:04:27 PM »

LOL

I read a post on PSF earlier that mentioned Nancy's "soulless black eyes". Between that and this, I'm just dying over here.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2018, 01:11:07 PM »

That is quite possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen on this board.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2018, 01:14:29 PM »

Haha rab!!! LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2018, 01:59:29 PM »

Never seen the cartoon before however does the character doing the service looks a bit like Carl to anyone else?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2018, 02:24:49 PM »

I was thinking Dennis on the cover of POB

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »

If you're trying to insinuate that I hijacked the thread, and not the string of 5 immediately preceding your original post that is ridiculous.

But isn't the fact that a brand new publication, the comic printed in 2018, went out of its way to list "Wilson/Asher"... which contradicts the "new" revised credits? That is a topic worthy of discussion, which then led to a topic of the whole issue with the credits having been revised in the 1st place, which naturally pisses some people off because Mike's name on the credits is still (and will always be) a source of debate/contention to most fans who are knowledgeable about the history.

But it's not like there's zero relation to the original topic.  Conversations (either in real life, or on message boards) will often lend themselves to other topics that are related.

If the original comic had not been a panel with WIBN, but instead had been a panel with a topic about Al Jardine's preferred brand of t-shirts, I somehow doubt it would have led his line of messages into the discussion topic of Mike Love and his crediting overreaching.

But the comic went out of its way to show a now-outdated WIBN credit. So why is it "hijacking" for that comic to lend itself naturally to a discussion about the credits for that song?  We are nerds. We know the history of that song, and the revised credit, and that is only natural to become a topic of discussion as a result.

It's not rocket science why it went there; Mike himself, via so, so many of his actions over the years, has done stuff that many fans find in poor taste, crass (even Al Jardine publicly stated such - imagine what he must say/think privately!) ... essentially Mike has spread his own tentacles over so much of the story of the band, that when those things he has done - which many think are bad, egocentric, narcissistic decisions - are innumerable, it's only natural that perhaps a larger percentage of topics (when compared to other members) might eventually go down that road of discussing Mike critically, even if the original topic wasn't specifically about that, but tangentially might naturally lead there.

In a nutshell, basically, you can't act the way Mike has for so many years without many things indirectly leading back to a discussion of him/his actions. It's not gonna happen every time of course. Mike has nobody to thank but himself for that unique distinction. I'm also certain that if Mike had long ago completely ceased with stoking the flames of smack-talking other members while comically trying to build himself up - people would be somewhat a little less inclined to naturally have topics veer in this direction.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 03:03:47 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2018, 03:06:59 PM »

Just for the hell of it I typed ‘wouldn’t it be nice’ into google images. Nothing else, just as the cartoonist probably did. The single disc, as depicted, comes up. Forget credits as the artist probably knows nothing about the songs history.

I think some are reading too much into this.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2018, 03:33:34 PM »

Just for the hell of it I typed ‘wouldn’t it be nice’ into google images. Nothing else, just as the cartoonist probably did. The single disc, as depicted, comes up. Forget credits as the artist probably knows nothing about the songs history.

Probably right. I think 98.5% likelihood of what you said being accurate.

But one never fully knows who is a hardcore BBs fan out there, even cartoonists. Slim chance but who knows. I doubt anyone on here *really* thinks it was an intentional Mike Love dig by the cartoonist, but stranger things have happened.

And also, it is funny to speculate that Mike might get pissed about it, regardless of the cartoonist's intent. Yes, this is a famous cartoon, but it's super long in the tooth, and not all that well-known in 2018... but if, say, on a national famous TV show or commercial in 2018, we saw a similar Wilson/Asher credit on a prominently-featured piece of art, I could honestly see Mike's legal team at least privately having a discussion to see if there's any way Mike can sue or badger the content creator into changing it to Wilson/Asher/Love. The fact that this hypothetical legal discussion isn't *completely* farfetched and could actually happen is hilarious and discussion-worthy, I think at least.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »

I think so too

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2018, 03:47:54 PM »

But one never fully knows who is a hardcore BBs fan out there, even cartoonists. Slim chance but who knows.

That is absolutely spot-on. Seriously, what would be the odds that someone like John Stamos would be such a supporter? (Yes, yes, save your hatred for a second, everyone. I mean this in the best possible sense.) The guy obviously loves the band. Or in the late 90s, I remember watching some MTV or VH1 music trivia show styled after Jeopardy!, and there was fucking Sugar Ray himself (I figure, since I'm already bringing up everyone's favorite people), answering a question about (if I'm not mistaken) Friends. I could be wrong, but my point is, it was something somewhat obscure that ol' "DO IT!" knew and said. And the list obviously goes on and on, as we all know.

Beach Boys fans are a bizarre and diverse bunch. Which could be really fun, if we let it be.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2018, 04:10:29 PM »

Which could be really fun, if we let it be.

To keep everyone happy, a credit for the Beatles should be added.  Razz
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2018, 04:41:32 PM »

LOL

joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2018, 05:16:22 PM »

I've never read Nancy before, but if the humour has consistently been of this calibre  then why are they ending it?

Surely there are at least another 85  years of side splitting gags like the one show cased above.

Actually  Nancy ran its course decades ago, in fact there was a time period in the 80's and 90's when all they did was redo vintage Nancy strips word for word just with updated clothing and modern day background scenery..then they got caught and there was some controversy and they then started doing new original strips which apparently didn't last long since it has now ended.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2018, 05:23:31 PM »

So ... anyway ... I'm still shocked by two revelations from this whole discussion:
1.) People actually read that Nancy comic? I've always lumped it in with Family Circus and skipped it.
2.) Now that the comic referenced the Beach Boys, do I have to go back and read 80-some years of strips to get the payoff?

Some strips are still in the newspaper because of name recognition, like the strips you mentioned. Most have run their course but have such popular name recognition that they are still there... Garfield is a good example of that..
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2018, 09:29:36 PM »

Fair enough.   But, it would be a lot easier to not take shots if I weren't accused of having an "endgame" (guitarfool) or "drinking the cool aid" (poster on BW Forum) when I post an opinion.   

I'd rather not do it, but this has to be corrected.

This was my "end game" post in question in context: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,25544.msg629321.html#msg629321

And here it is for KDS to review, "end game" wording in bold:

Try some logic this time: All of the posts about Brian's health, how he looks frail on tour, how his stage presence is less enthusiastic than some think it should be (I guess...I have no idea), how it's a grueling schedule, how it must be hard on him, how bad it must be for his back, how it's hard being in your 70's and touring...

Seriously man, what's the end game to the point where all of that stuff keeps getting brought up in discussions? Why do you continue to bring it up, along with others, when Brian himself addressed the issue of his touring?

Is it not enough that the man himself as of a month ago says he misses touring?

If fans were to start saying the same things about Mike's touring, constantly harping on his appearance, his voice, mentioning his declining vocals, how he's not as agile as he was before on stage, his whole routine to where certain segments of the show are exactly the same as they were 5 years ago...you - KDS - would probably be among the first to say it was another case of "bashing" Mike.

So what is the end game with constantly posting about Brian's health issues and appearance when the topic of his tours comes up? Seriously.

I was all ready to mea culpa if I had actually accused KDS of having an "endgame", but I did not. It was a general, rhetorical type of question and comment both times. I asked twice, what is THE endgame. As in, why does this type of thing keep coming up over and over again.

KDS - I did not accuse *you* of having an "endgame" despite what you're telling people who read your post here. If I were accusing you I'd have said simply "KDS, what's your end game?". I did not.

I'd suggest reading more carefully before making accusations of what someone said.

I'd also suggest not following the lead of people like filledeplage who tended to pull this kind of thing when there was no factual ground to stand on to back up a claim - Just randomly make up quotes that never got said and things that never happened, run with it, and hope people believe it. I'd like to think you're above all that based on your posts about music.

I hope trying to clear that up didn't distract too much.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »

Doesn't that in itself suggest there are some issues if someone merely showing up to post would be disruptive because of a small segment of posters on a particular board who would object? A forum is either a welcoming place for fans to talk or it's not. If a small segment of people would start a ruckus when a fan showed up and posted, maybe that small segment is the problem that should be addressed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx