gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:10:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBN in final (?) Nancy comic strip  (Read 23684 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »

But, I'm sure everyone has had that one co-worker.  You first meet him/her, and they voice some complaints about their job.   But, then every time you see this person in the office, all they do is complain.  At some point, after a while, and after hearing the same complaints so many times, the warranted criticism just becomes noise.  

If I had a co-worker who I found "toxic" and who did nothing but complained, and I had an option of not having to visit their office or otherwise be in that space, I'd do just that. I wouldn't continue to poke in and out constantly, intent on continuing to engage with them while claiming they're all "white noise" (but continuing to call that white noise "toxic", etc.)

This message board isn't like a job; you don't have to be here.

Why someone would post on two different BB message boards while calling one "toxic" or otherwise painting the *board* in some way negatively (and taking passive aggressive swipes at that board on the *other* board) is beyond me.

Oh look, HeyJude is telling people how to internet for a change.  

I'm still on this board because there are still some interesting discussions on the music.  I found the posts on the Beach Boys v Beatles threads to be very interesting (well.....most of them).   The Beatles Survivor Game is also quite fun.  

Nope, nowhere in my post did I tell anyone how to do anything. I mentioned what I'd do in a case where I found something "toxic" and had the option of removing myself from that situation, I mentioned my attitude towards passive aggressive posting about one forum on another, and pointed out the obvious; that one doesn't have to be here.

Let it be known that plenty of folks who don't post on the other BB board do read it. I do from time to time. My personal opinion is it's rather bad form (and more than anything just odd) to post on *both* boards and yet complain about only one (Smiley Smile) on the other (PS Forum).

I've seen threads now and then that look interesting, or random factoids that could use correcting, etc. on the other board. But I don't post there because I don't like the tone of many of the threads, don't like the tone and content of a number of the posters, and so on. I'd feel pretty silly posting thousands of posts on the PS Forum while coming back to the Smiley Smile board and taking passive aggressive swipes against PS Forum posters and the board in general. But that's just me. I'm not telling anybody else what to do or how to be. I'm just trying to point out how such things might appear to others.

To be fair, I've never said anything on PSF that I wouldn't also say on this forum.  

No, you just say it far more often there.

I'm flattered that you find my posts on the Pet Sounds Forum so fascinating.  

Besides, anything I've said on Pet Sounds Forum about the nature of SSMB pales in comparison to some posts I've seen here about the posters on PSF.  

Ahhh perhaps thats because our current member lineup doesn’t include people who have:

- spread awful rumors about Melinda Wilson
- claimed Melinda Wilson is a troll here
- claimed Brian won’t ever get another radio hit again
- claimed that they will defend Mike Love no matter what
- been sent on a mission from an “interested party” to get the home address of a poster here.
- claimed that they disparage Brian and Melinda solely to counteract the Mike Love hate
- harassed an enthusiastic female member here in nearly every thread she participated in
- created a thread to disparage one female fans opinion about falsettos
- made awful comments regarding a band members adopted children

That list can go on and on and on, KDS. Supposedly we’re the toxic ones?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:45:45 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2018, 09:45:28 AM »

(Insert Misleading Weaponized Logic from Cam or Filleplage) Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2018, 09:51:09 AM »

Ahhh perhaps thats because our current member lineup doesn’t include people who have:

- been sent on a mission from an “interested party” to get the home address of a poster here.
- claimed that they disparage Brian and Melinda solely to counteract the Mike Love hate
- harassed an enthusiastic female member here in nearly every thread she participated in

That's all part of the reality I mentioned in my last post.

So what say you, KDS?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »

So what say you, KDS?

Saying Brian Wilson will never have another radio hit is just reality.   I don't even know why that would be on the same list as some of these other things. 

As for the other stuff, I haven't seen it on PSF, other than the criticism of RR's preference for Adrian Baker, and that poster was called out for it. 

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »

To answer guitarfool's original questions to me.  He probably contributed very little to the song and he probably deserves little credit.  That is beside the point though.

Here is my view of this, maybe some people will understand where I am coming from.

-Original post about the ending of an 85 year old comic strip that makes a pretty touching sendoff involving WIBN.  One of BW's most enduring and iconic moments.
-Immediate response of some regulars going non-sequitur to the original post about the ML writing credit issue and the usual chuckling emojis. 
-I call it toxic.  It is extracting this obtuse little sticking point from the comic, that has been discussed often here, and doing some good ol' repetitive ML sh!tpostin'.  To me that is toxic.
-Board leadership responds and is like "wait, are you disputing the idiocy of the ML writing credit litigation?"  That is really frustrating, I am not disputing that at all.  Why is that the immediate takeaway here upon seeing the WIBN 45 in the comic strip?  That is probably the biggest question that I have.
-People call me an ML apologist, I think?  I am not, I don't like the guy and it is weird that people immediately think that.
-I am called out in a thread outside of this one that I didn't post in.  Some people mock me.  Multiple oldsurferdude accounts swipe at me.  All of this is okay I guess.
-This thread becomes more about Mike's writing credit litigation.  And, not very much about any of the numerous other directions that the original topic has afforded.  Now I bet someone will say "wellllll why didn't YOU post something constructive in the thread then?" as if that is the only way in which I can criticise. 
-I wonder why more people don't agree with me, and then go on with my day.  Later!

Three people made a comment about a songwriting credit/relevant lawsuit and you respond by calling it “SSMB toxic pollution”. I tire of seeing the Smiley Smile message board name lugged in with the word “toxic”, or the Smiley Smile message board name continually mentioned in some disparaging way on this forum and on the PS Forum. After having yet again read another of KDS’ passive aggressive swipes against this forum just the other day, its irritating for me to see the SSMB name tied together with the same talking point some PS Forum members have nauseatingly used to bash this forum.

The second post for this Nancy Comic thread on the PS Forum has someone joking about Mike suing over the label...is that PS Forum toxic pollution? No, it’s one guy making a joke. If anyone had a problem with that person’s comment, they would just logically call out that one guy and not lug in the entire PS Forum name with it. Likewise, three people here (myself included) made some comments about Mike. I totally get why you find our initial posts unnecessary, I’m not disagreeing with that. But three people on a message board of 100+ active members made some comments you don’t feel belong in this thread...so call us out and don’t make it an overall forum issue.

I only said that because different versions of this happen a lot.  If this was rare, and it was after 3 posts of ripping on ML, I certainly wouldn't have done so.  And I don't know what a Pet Sounds Forum is and I haven't been there so I am not going to comment on that.  I also want to thank you for what I think is a thoughtful reply.

I am starting to zero in more on my discontent and it would be- on most message boards (including this one) there is an off-topic section, and when posts veer off-topic they can be reclassified there.  I think that a lot of the repetitive ML sick burns that I see here are, in my eyes, veering completely off the topic (not counting threads that exist to rip on ML or are easy/obvious targets for it, which is fine, it is, after all, truth in advertising), yet on this forum it is never considered off-topic to pepper in a bunch of ML sh!tposting whenever any opportunity exists.  It gets OLD, and I guess that is my problem.  Do I blame the mods, or expect them to heavily police this place for that?  No, not at all.  Then I guess that either leaves blaming myself for getting annoyed, or blaming some posters that make hundreds or perhaps thousands of the same post, over and over again.  

"If you don't like it you can leave, have a sense of humor, you aren't the board gestapo/you are a fascist, you are stifling free speech, you are being really annoying, you are an ADG minion in disguise wearing an Adrian Baker mask and 1982 Radio Shack hat, etc etc etc."  Just helping peeps here get started with their replies.  
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2018, 10:19:41 AM »

So what say you, KDS?

Saying Brian Wilson will never have another radio hit is just reality.   I don't even know why that would be on the same list as some of these other things. 

As for the other stuff, I haven't seen it on PSF, other than the criticism of RR's preference for Adrian Baker, and that poster was called out for it. 

What don't you understand, KDS? All of that was among the crap that was posted and spoken *here*, and now the majority of those who engaged in that kind of discourse are now *there*.

All of this "bashing", KDS I wonder if you had the same issues when there were articles published - not posted to this or other boards but actually published - which did everything from comparing a Brian Wilson concert to wheeling Grandpa out to Thanksgiving dinner, to suggesting the "truth" is people don't wait for Brian Wilson's new music because of who he is today but because of his work from the Beach Boys' run in the 60's, to suggesting the real reasons why people buy tickets to see Mike and his tight band versus seeing Brian who will join in with his band if he's inspired to do so...to a bunch of other stuff that walked the same line.

It was here, and it was also published. That's the reality. Do we need more examples? There are dozens more available.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2018, 10:20:14 AM »

So what say you, KDS?

I mentioned the radio thing because it was mentioned by the same guy who admitted to mocking Brian and Melinda to offset the Mike gripes here. I wasn’t sure if that was another petulant remark by the guy or a serious comment. Frankly, it isn’t a reality until Brian stops making music. Anything is possible.

As for the rest of your comment: so it doesn’t matter that those things were said or done in the first place, it just matters that they haven’t been done on the PS Forum? Shitty behavior is shitty behavior, KDS. So yeah, when you go after this forum because some members have legitimate gripes about Mike, I find it ironic that you simultaneously willingly and happily interact with the same people who have spread rumors, false information, and overall negative opinions about Brian Wilson and his family in the past.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2018, 10:21:14 AM »

To answer guitarfool's original questions to me.  He probably contributed very little to the song and he probably deserves little credit.  That is beside the point though.

Here is my view of this, maybe some people will understand where I am coming from.

-Original post about the ending of an 85 year old comic strip that makes a pretty touching sendoff involving WIBN.  One of BW's most enduring and iconic moments.
-Immediate response of some regulars going non-sequitur to the original post about the ML writing credit issue and the usual chuckling emojis. 
-I call it toxic.  It is extracting this obtuse little sticking point from the comic, that has been discussed often here, and doing some good ol' repetitive ML sh!tpostin'.  To me that is toxic.
-Board leadership responds and is like "wait, are you disputing the idiocy of the ML writing credit litigation?"  That is really frustrating, I am not disputing that at all.  Why is that the immediate takeaway here upon seeing the WIBN 45 in the comic strip?  That is probably the biggest question that I have.
-People call me an ML apologist, I think?  I am not, I don't like the guy and it is weird that people immediately think that.
-I am called out in a thread outside of this one that I didn't post in.  Some people mock me.  Multiple oldsurferdude accounts swipe at me.  All of this is okay I guess.
-This thread becomes more about Mike's writing credit litigation.  And, not very much about any of the numerous other directions that the original topic has afforded.  Now I bet someone will say "wellllll why didn't YOU post something constructive in the thread then?" as if that is the only way in which I can criticise. 
-I wonder why more people don't agree with me, and then go on with my day.  Later!

That *IS* the point. He deserves little or no credit. That simple logic goes a long way to explaining why fans take issue with it and will not only call it out but also take shots at it too.

I for one don't want the historical record moving forward to show Mike getting equal credit to the two people who actually *did* write the song. But that's exactly what has happened, up to Mike offering limited edition handwritten copies of a WIBN lyric sheet as part of a VIP package *he* was selling in 2016 as if he were truly an equal contributor to that song.

Dude I don't really think I can argue with you if, after reading the original post about the comic strip and seeing the Capitol single in the frame, the main point, the takeaway that you have from it is something like "screw ML and his writing credit garbage and his BS present day touring methods, it fills me with bitterness".  We are looking at things on 2 toooootally different planes and we might as well be speaking klingon and esperanto to each other.
KDS
« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2018, 10:25:04 AM »

So what say you, KDS?

What don't you understand, KDS? All of that was among the crap that was posted and spoken *here*, and now the majority of those who engaged in that kind of discourse are now *there*.

All of this "bashing", KDS I wonder if you had the same issues when there were articles published - not posted to this or other boards but actually published - which did everything from comparing a Brian Wilson concert to wheeling Grandpa out to Thanksgiving dinner, to suggesting the "truth" is people don't wait for Brian Wilson's new music because of who he is today but because of his work from the Beach Boys' run in the 60's, to suggesting the real reasons why people buy tickets to see Mike and his tight band versus seeing Brian who will join in with his band if he's inspired to do so...to a bunch of other stuff that walked the same line.

It was here, and it was also published. That's the reality. Do we need more examples? There are dozens more available.

Well, there is a lot of truth to Brian Wilson being revered today because of his 1960s Beach Boys run.   Why is that "bashing"?  The last two times I've bought tickets to see Brian, there was a 1960s album title under his name after all.   

And to somebody who is not familiar with Brian and his story, I can see somebody being taken aback at witnessing a modern BW show.   Are they right?  No, but I can see that point of view.   But, somehow, that's bashing.   
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2018, 10:32:16 AM »

Fucking Christ, the horse is long-since dead. Its flesh has rotted and its bones are dust. You’d think it might be funny to watch adults pummeling empty ground with their nobly branded clubs, but unfortunately it just seesaws between tedious and excruciating. I’d pine for the good ol’ days if there were such a thing, but oh well.

I hear the bell signaling the next round, so I’d better clear out before I risk a wallop to the toes. Good luck, combatants. I’m sure you’ll win the day this time. And then we’ll have world peace.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2018, 10:37:55 AM »

Three people made a comment about a songwriting credit/relevant lawsuit and you respond by calling it “SSMB toxic pollution”. I tire of seeing the Smiley Smile message board name lugged in with the word “toxic”, or the Smiley Smile message board name continually mentioned in some disparaging way on this forum and on the PS Forum. After having yet again read another of KDS’ passive aggressive swipes against this forum just the other day, its irritating for me to see the SSMB name tied together with the same talking point some PS Forum members have nauseatingly used to bash this forum.

The second post for this Nancy Comic thread on the PS Forum has someone joking about Mike suing over the label...is that PS Forum toxic pollution? No, it’s one guy making a joke. If anyone had a problem with that person’s comment, they would just logically call out that one guy and not lug in the entire PS Forum name with it. Likewise, three people here (myself included) made some comments about Mike. I totally get why you find our initial posts unnecessary, I’m not disagreeing with that. But three people on a message board of 100+ active members made some comments you don’t feel belong in this thread...so call us out and don’t make it an overall forum issue.

I only said that because different versions of this happen a lot.  If this was rare, and it was after 3 posts of ripping on ML, I certainly wouldn't have done so.  And I don't know what a Pet Sounds Forum is and I haven't been there so I am not going to comment on that.  I also want to thank you for what I think is a thoughtful reply.

I am starting to zero in more on my discontent and it would be- on most message boards (including this one) there is an off-topic section, and when posts veer off-topic they can be reclassified there.  I think that a lot of the repetitive ML sick burns that I see here are, in my eyes, veering completely off the topic (not counting threads that exist to rip on ML or are easy/obvious targets for it, which is fine, it is, after all, truth in advertising), yet on this forum it is never considered off-topic to pepper in a bunch of ML sh!tposting whenever any opportunity exists.  It gets OLD, and I guess that is my problem.  Do I blame the mods, or expect them to heavily police this place for that?  No, not at all.  Then I guess that either leaves blaming myself for getting annoyed, or blaming some posters that make hundreds or perhaps thousands of the same post, over and over again.  

"If you don't like it you can leave, have a sense of humor, you aren't the board gestapo/you are a fascist, you are stifling free speech, you are being really annoying, you are an ADG minion in disguise wearing an Adrian Baker mask and 1982 Radio Shack hat, etc etc etc."  Just helping peeps here get started with their replies.  

I’ll pose the same question to you as I did to KDS: Yes, we have a few people who make constant negative comments about Mike. Yet that doesn’t mean the plethora other active members here need to be under the umbrella generalization of this place being “toxic”...does it?

That was my only point. I get that there are comments made against Mike that are completely irrelevant to certain threads (and I admit I posted a stupid joke in this thread that was totally unnecessary). It happens often but it’s by the same two or three people, not the whole board. Most of my irritation is not with your post, but with the continuous banter I read on the PS Forum from posters like KDS who generalize this forum into one negative place for the sake of bringing up the PS Forum a few notches whilst ignoring the great content that is here.

The following isn’t in response to you KP, just something I want to get out there: I totally admit that I generalized the PS Forum for a long time after it was created. I was pissed that certain people got a free pass considering the heft of their previous actions and I took it out on that forum as a whole. But in time I realize that the PS Forum has some great members and great conversation. Though I still can’t figure out why certain posters were even allowed there in the first place (nor will I post there until they’re inevitably banned), I’ve not bashed that forum as a whole in a while because it would be putting down a lot of good people. The same should go for the generalizations being made about the Smiley forum lately.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2018, 10:38:05 AM »

So what say you, KDS?

Saying Brian Wilson will never have another radio hit is just reality.   I don't even know why that would be on the same list as some of these other things.  

Well, there is a lot of truth to Brian Wilson being revered today because of his 1960s Beach Boys run.   Why is that "bashing"?  The last two times I've bought tickets to see Brian, there was a 1960s album title under his name after all.  

And to somebody who is not familiar with Brian and his story, I can see somebody being taken aback at witnessing a modern BW show.   Are they right?  No, but I can see that point of view.   But, somehow, that's bashing.  

Yes, it's bashing to see a run of articles suggesting Brian's shows were like Grandpa in a wheelchair at Thanksgiving, that he only chimed in with his band when he got the inspiration versus Mike and his "tight", "entertaining" band, observations that Brian's hands never touched the keyboard, that Brian was "brain damaged" or he wasn't the same guy as the young cousin which Mike used to sing Doo-Wop with in a '57 Ford in Hawthorne...

Yeah, that's more than a little off-base. Fans rightfully called it out and pushed back.

Then there was the whole issue of those people and their behavior on *this board*, that included comments about children, board members'  private lives and drug use, rumors and slander, etc. That was toxic, KDS - Did you object to any of that? Or is it only people taking the piss out of Mike that irks you?

Onto your point: Suggesting that fans are not interested in Brian's new music for reasons other than he was in the Beach Boys is as ridiculous now as it was when it was published. It's as absurd as saying no one is really into McCartney's new stuff unless it's based on what he did with The Beatles from 62-70. It's absurd. When it gets published in an official or even semi-official article related to the band, it's even more absurd. Again, it rightfully got called out.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »

I only said that because different versions of this happen a lot.  If this was rare, and it was after 3 posts of ripping on ML, I certainly wouldn't have done so.  And I don't know what a Pet Sounds Forum is and I haven't been there so I am not going to comment on that.  I also want to thank you for what I think is a thoughtful reply.

I am starting to zero in more on my discontent and it would be- on most message boards (including this one) there is an off-topic section, and when posts veer off-topic they can be reclassified there.  I think that a lot of the repetitive ML sick burns that I see here are, in my eyes, veering completely off the topic (not counting threads that exist to rip on ML or are easy/obvious targets for it, which is fine, it is, after all, truth in advertising), yet on this forum it is never considered off-topic to pepper in a bunch of ML sh!tposting whenever any opportunity exists.  It gets OLD, and I guess that is my problem.  Do I blame the mods, or expect them to heavily police this place for that?  No, not at all.  Then I guess that either leaves blaming myself for getting annoyed, or blaming some posters that make hundreds or perhaps thousands of the same post, over and over again. 

"If you don't like it you can leave, have a sense of humor, you aren't the board gestapo/you are a fascist, you are stifling free speech, you are being really annoying, you are an ADG minion in disguise wearing an Adrian Baker mask and 1982 Radio Shack hat, etc etc etc."  Just helping peeps here get started with their replies. 

I’ll pose the same question to you as I did to KDS: Yes, we have a few people who make constant negative comments about Mike. Yet that doesn’t mean the plethora other active members here need to be under the umbrella generalization of this place being “toxic”...does it?

That was my only point. I get that there are comments made against Mike that are completely irrelevant to certain threads (and I admit I posted a stupid joke in this thread that was totally unnecessary). It happens often but it’s by the same two or three people, not the whole board. Most of my irritation is not with your post, but with the continuous banter I read on the PS Forum from posters like KDS who generalize this forum into one negative place for the sake of bringing up the PS Forum a few notches whilst ignoring the great content that is here.

The following isn’t in response to you KP, just something I want to get out there: I totally admit that I generalized the PS Forum for a long time after it was created. I was pissed that certain people got a free pass considering the heft of their previous actions and I took it out on that forum as a whole. But in time I realize that the PS Forum has some great members and great conversation. Though I still can’t figure out why certain posters were even allowed there in the first place (nor will I post there until they’re inevitably banned), I’ve not bashed that forum as a whole in a while because it would be putting down a lot of good people. The same should go for the generalizations being made about the Smiley forum lately.

Completely agree, especially on the last paragraph

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2018, 10:45:37 AM »

So ... anyway ... I'm still shocked by two revelations from this whole discussion:
1.) People actually read that Nancy comic? I've always lumped it in with Family Circus and skipped it.
2.) Now that the comic referenced the Beach Boys, do I have to go back and read 80-some years of strips to get the payoff?
KDS
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2018, 10:47:58 AM »

So what say you, KDS?

Saying Brian Wilson will never have another radio hit is just reality.   I don't even know why that would be on the same list as some of these other things.  

Well, there is a lot of truth to Brian Wilson being revered today because of his 1960s Beach Boys run.   Why is that "bashing"?  The last two times I've bought tickets to see Brian, there was a 1960s album title under his name after all.  

And to somebody who is not familiar with Brian and his story, I can see somebody being taken aback at witnessing a modern BW show.   Are they right?  No, but I can see that point of view.   But, somehow, that's bashing.  

Yes, it's bashing to see a run of articles suggesting Brian's shows were like Grandpa in a wheelchair at Thanksgiving, that he only chimed in with his band when he got the inspiration versus Mike and his "tight", "entertaining" band, observations that Brian's hands never touched the keyboard, that Brian was "brain damaged" or he wasn't the same guy as the young cousin which Mike used to sing Doo-Wop with in a '57 Ford in Hawthorne...

Yeah, that's more than a little off-base. Fans rightfully called it out and pushed back.

Then there was the whole issue of those people and their behavior on *this board*, that included comments about children, board members'  private lives and drug use, rumors and slander, etc. That was toxic, KDS - Did you object to any of that? Or is it only people taking the piss out of Mike that irks you?

Onto your point: Suggesting that fans are not interested in Brian's new music for reasons other than he was in the Beach Boys is as ridiculous now as it was when it was published. It's as absurd as saying no one is really into McCartney's new stuff unless it's based on what he did with The Beatles from 62-70. It's absurd. When it gets published in an official or even semi-official article related to the band, it's even more absurd. Again, it rightfully got called out.

It's not even as much the anti Mike stuff.   It's the hijacking of threads like this one.  A thread that started out as a nice BB reference in a comic strip has been changed to another pissing match.  
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2018, 10:55:35 AM »

So what say you, KDS?

It's not even as much the anti Mike stuff.   It's the hijacking of threads like this one.  A thread that started out as a nice BB reference in a comic strip has been changed to another pissing match.  

KDS - 8 posts in, there was this:

And like clockwork, the first 5 replies to this excellent first post were predictable SSMB toxic pollution.

I think there should be at least the opportunity to respond when the term "predictable SSMB toxic pollution" gets thrown on the table. That's what has been happening.

So who or what hijacked it exactly?

Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »

Okay- your point is fair, it isn't the vast majority of members.  However it is a strong collection of some of the loudest members/most frequent posters.  If there was a SSMB "gang" in charge of these streets its defining characteristic would definitely be leather jackets with a big Mike face on the back, circled and crossed out.  Which is actually a good idea.
Since perhaps only a small collection of people constantly engage in it, then my question for you is how would you like me individually to respond if it annoys me?  This can include "call people out constantly", or "stfu and ignore it" or "leave the board and find a corner of the youtube universe to focus on".  
Beyond that there are some of my bullet points from above that I still really don't get.  Like how someone can have 2 accounts here and can use both of them to call me out.  Or generally how someone's first reaction from reading that strip is to see the Capitol single and start in with hating on ML.  Any replies would be welcomed.  I just want to understand.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »

If you're trying to insinuate that I hijacked the thread, and not the string of 5 immediately preceding your original post that is ridiculous.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2018, 11:31:06 AM »

A while back there was an extension made by a member here for internet browsers where you could type in anyone’s screen name and it wouldn’t show their posts. Perhaps talk with the mods about where you can find that extension (if it still exists) and go from there.

If you have a problem with a specific poster, if you see someone blatantly breaking the rules, PM the mods and they will work out a solution...they usually always do.

This forum is what we make of it. Until Mike did that pitiful MOJO interview this forum had been relatively chillax for months with not much negativity. It’ll swing back that way soon enough.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2018, 11:33:48 AM »

If you're trying to insinuate that I hijacked the thread, and not the string of 5 immediately preceding your original post that is ridiculous.

I think he’s saying that posters had a right to defend the negative generalization made about this forum as a whole. Had KDS not been expressing his pent-up angst about this forum the past couple days on the PS forum I doubt this thread would’ve veered off topic for 3 pages anyways.

I think people have a right to get annoyed at an out of place Mike jab (specifically my initial post here), but you opened a whole can of worms when you generalized the entire board.

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »

Fucking Christ, the horse is long-since dead. Its flesh has rotted and its bones are dust. You’d think it might be funny to watch adults pummeling empty ground with their nobly branded clubs, but unfortunately it just seesaws between tedious and excruciating. I’d pine for the good ol’ days if there were such a thing, but oh well.

I hear the bell signaling the next round, so I’d better clear out before I risk a wallop to the toes. Good luck, combatants. I’m sure you’ll win the day this time. And then we’ll shave world peace.

I don't think anyone is listening Captain.

I intend to listen to your good sense though and stop responding to the small minority on here who seem intent on picking a fight over every small thing.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2018, 11:39:41 AM »

People reacting to the initial topic and making jokes on that topic is different than taking a shot at this entire forum and membership as you did. If making jokes and parodies on topic is hijacking, versus shitting on the entire forum and calling the replies to those specific comments "hijacking", then your logic in suggesting that comparison is what's ridiculous in this case.

KDS
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »

I think he’s saying that posters had a right to defend the negative generalization made about this forum as a whole. Had KDS not been expressing his pent-up angst about this forum the past couple days on the PS forum I doubt this thread would’ve veered off topic for 3 pages anyways.

I think people have a right to get annoyed at an out of place Mike jab (specifically my initial post here), but you opened a whole can of worms when you generalized the entire board.

Yes, sorry for projecting my pent up angst on another Beach Boys related board.   I think I had you pegged all wrong.   You are funny. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2018, 11:55:05 AM »

Yes, sorry for projecting my pent up angst on another Beach Boys related board.   I think I had you pegged all wrong.   You are funny. 

No, what’s funny is you complaining that people post irrelevant negative comments here when you yourself post irrelevant passive aggressive comments about this forum in threads constantly on the PS Forum. Sorry if that irony escapes you, but its plain and simple for everyone else to see.

KDS
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2018, 12:01:23 PM »

No, what’s funny is you complaining that people post irrelevant negative comments here when you yourself post irrelevant passive aggressive comments about this forum in threads constantly on the PS Forum. Sorry if that irony escapes you, but its plain and simple for everyone else to see.

Constantly???   Give me a break.   I make a veiled reference to some absurd accusations thrown at me on SSMB a couple times, yet it's "constant."   

Here's a question.  If you have no interest in joining a forum, why bother lurking?  I post on both boards, as well as the BW Forum, and you'll see my opinions across both are pretty consistent. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx