gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:28:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WIBN in final (?) Nancy comic strip  (Read 23676 times)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2018, 03:33:11 PM »

Today, Guy Gilchrist ended decades of work on Nancy, one of America’s oldest and most familiar comic strips, with a panel featuring a pretty damn recognizable 45 label. Rumors are rife that this marks the end of the strip after 85 years though the syndication people weren’t confirming or denying at last report

http://www.gocomics.com/nancy/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 06:30:35 PM »

And the credits on the label are as they should be, Wilson/Asher.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 06:39:36 PM »

Mike’s legal team upon seeing this:

Seriously I don’t doubt that someone in that department would sniff for a lawsuit with this haha.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 06:42:35 PM »

Ad-libing pays when you are a litigious piece of sh*t like the lovester...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 06:50:51 PM »

Mike’s legal team upon seeing this:

Seriously I don’t doubt that someone in that department would sniff for a lawsuit with this haha.

If I know myKe luHv, the texting has already begun and they're warming up the presses for a revised run of the strip. Watch out, Nancy!!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 06:56:29 PM »

Dammit lawster strikes again... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 07:56:56 PM »

I can't put into words how cool and actually moving this supposedly last episode of the Nancy comic is with how it used Wouldn't It Be Nice in the storyline. And they got the label correct, too - Chalk up this author and artist as another person who gets it.  Smiley

And it won't be the first comic to use and reference that amazing song - Remember Doonesbury and the storyline that ended with a main character dying of AIDS as the song played, courtesy the then-new Pet Sounds reissue on CD. That storyline and series of strips won Garry Trudeau a Pulitzer nomination.

There are people who get it on a level beyond licenses and 25% credits.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 01:28:28 AM »

And like clockwork, the first 5 replies to this excellent first post were predictable SSMB toxic pollution.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 03:01:22 AM »

And like clockwork, the first 5 replies to this excellent first post were predictable SSMB toxic pollution.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. That people point out how utterly ridiculous it is that Mike gets 33% credit for 5 words in an intricate pop song isn’t “toxic”, nor is the relavant point that after that lawsuit he filed another strictly relating to a label on an album. Also, 3 people made some comments on a board of 100+ active members. Want to call me toxic? Please go right ahead. But don’t insult the other members with a vapid generalization of this forum.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 07:11:25 AM »

And "like clockwork", here is someone who can't handle the truth and if he had his way would not allow opinion which has it's genesis based on fact.  Roll Eyes

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 07:16:15 AM »

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 09:27:41 AM »

Check all the coats and hats at the door for a moment, and I want to ask a few direct questions.

<<<<<<

In your opinion, what did Mike Love contribute to the song Wouldn't It Be Nice?

If as had been reported Mike's only contribution was saying "good night baby, sleep tight" during the fade, in your opinion did that justify suing for and claiming equal writing credit alongside Wilson-Asher?

>>>>>

If mentioning those issues is "toxic pollution" on display, let us know.

But I raise them as well to show how many fans still take issue with Mike's "claims" of authorship on *that specific song* to where his original claims included scenarios presented in court that were as absurd as suggesting Brian would duck into the bathroom during studio sessions and "write" secretly with Mike over the phone. If there is blowback against Mike over this song and it happens to come out when the song is discussed, it's not coming out of thin air.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:17 AM »

Agreed....this is nothing new. This has been debated for many years, long before this message board existed; the fact that the claim is the legal equivalent of erectile dysfunction certainly doesn’t help.

I think I may use “toxic pollution “ for a song title now, though

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 10:36:06 AM »

Here's how I see it -- that 45 is from 1966, long before lawsuits and credit corrections.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2018, 10:47:08 AM »

Here's how I see it -- that 45 is from 1966, long before lawsuits and credit corrections.

Definitely. I think some of us were just pointing out that that specific ‘66 credit label seems more appropriate/honest than the current one. My initial response was more in jest.

All that aside, it really is awesome to see that this music is still used in pop culture like this. It’s interesting how many artists I’ve seen use The Beach Boys/Brian in their art - it’s like no matter the medium, good work is recognized by artists from any field.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 11:12:18 AM »

Check all the coats and hats at the door for a moment, and I want to ask a few direct questions.

<<<<<<

If as had been reported Mike's only contribution was saying "good night baby, sleep tight" during the fade, in your opinion did that justify suing for and claiming equal writing credit alongside Wilson-Asher?

>>>>>

But I raise them as well to show how many fans still take issue with Mike's "claims" of authorship on *that specific song* to where his original claims included scenarios presented in court that were as absurd as suggesting Brian would duck into the bathroom during studio sessions and "write" secretly with Mike over the phone. If there is blowback against Mike over this song and it happens to come out when the song is discussed, it's not coming out of thin air.

Do you think that if a person contributes a lyric to a song, they should be credited/acknowledged? Is it deserving of a written credit? I'm asking as a genuine question.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 11:18:01 AM »

<<<<<<

>>>>>

Do you think that if a person contributes a lyric to a song, they should be credited/acknowledged? Is it deserving of a written credit? I'm asking as a genuine question.

What about song titles? If that were case Ringo is due a TON of money.  LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »

<<<<<<

>>>>>

Kind of a gray area. I think in some ways it has resulted in over crediting, which is why you have the modern day practice of 10 or more people being credited on a song in pop music. Nobody wants to get sued.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 11:49:50 AM »

Agreed....this is nothing new. This has been debated for many years, long before this message board existed; the fact that the claim is the legal equivalent of erectile dysfunction certainly doesn’t help.

Heck, Mike himself used "toxic waste" as a lyric during the song Summer in Paradise; in true unintentional hilarious Mike form, Mike sings "toxic waste" right as a super cheesy, dated-even-by-1992-standards sax solo part kicks in  LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 11:51:41 AM »

<<<<<<

>>>>>

Kind of a gray area. I think in some ways it has resulted in over crediting, which is why you have the modern day practice of 10 or more people being credited on a song in pop music. Nobody wants to get sued.
I Do see what you mean. I just think it's the fair thing to do if somebody helps out with a lyric. Especially if it's part of a song that people remember. I've seen an occasional post or two criticizing the line "Goodnight baby, sleep tight baby" as kind of a typical clumsy Mike Love lyric that inconsequential to the overall song. I would tend to agree. But still, whether you like it or hate it, you have to admit that it sticks in your head.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 11:55:14 AM »

<<<<<<

>>>>>

Of course in theory that is correct.

However, I think two things should ideally be agreed upon here:

- Mike very unfairly was legit screwed out of a number of song credits. No doubt about it. This situation sucked for Mike... and everyone - even people who think he sucks as a person or don't feel he has talent - should agree that it was not fair. Yes, even OSD.

- Mike became very bitter as a result of this, and definitely overreached in trying to overcorrect this crediting problem. This is pretty much exhibit A of said overreaching. If there's any doubt of this being an overreach, then consider how many songs Mike himself has lifted parts from without crediting others. The "Brian's Back" end Carl-sung wordless vocal melody lifted from "You Still Believe in Me" (which is the best part of "Brian's Back"), just for starters.

Mike's a hypocrite and his crediting on WIBN is a joke. Mike realllly wanted to be thought of by music critics as integral to Pet Sounds in some way, even though he's barely part of it, "I'm Waiting for the Day" excepted. I'm sure his jealousy over Brian getting so much attention for this one album fed into this strawgrab-esque claim that he deserves 33% (or really any) of the credit for this little throwaway part.

PS - I'll gladly praise Mike where I feel praising is due, and he has a lot to be proud of in the way of contributions to this band, but I for one am VERY glad the vocal bridge lead part of Mike's was missing (and extraction not really invented yet) at the time of the original stereo mix, because the Brian-sung bridge on that 1st stereo mix is SO SO SO SO SO much prettier and preferable to my ears.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 12:03:04 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »

Heck, Mike himself used "toxic waste" as a lyric during the song Summer in Paradise; in true unintentional hilarious Mike form, Mike sings "toxic waste" right as a super cheesy, dated-even-by-1992-standards sax solo part kicks in  LOL

With that in mind it kinda makes sense why his apologists use the term so religiously LOL

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2018, 12:40:14 PM »

It’s “topic waste” rab.... Wink

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 01:30:25 PM »

<<<<<<

>>>>>

What about song titles? If that were case Ringo is due a TON of money.  LOL

Right - I've used the Ringo example in many discussions of this in the past. Ringo coined the phrase "hard day's night", which became a #1 hit single AND the title of a smash hit film in 1964...and Ringo didn't get credit as a songwriter or credit for the film title. Ringo could have claimed in a lawsuit that he got screwed out of millions, but he didn't. He could also claim "Tomorrow Never Knows" and other malaprops which he was fond of throwing into conversations. Things like "eight days a week", etc. But he never took it to court. Credit to Ringo.

Jay - To your question, in this case there is no-zero-nada logic that can be argued for Mike to where he deserves 1/3 equal credit for "good night baby, sleep tight". Listen to the track. Music by Wilson, lyrics by Asher. It's as simple as that. Most of the song's structure which hooks listeners in comes 2 minutes or so prior to Mike's "contribution", and most DJ's at the time started their talk-up during the fade anyway, so if it had to be argued by a musicologist they may suggest Mike's part was inessential to the overall impression given to listeners by that recording.

It was a very bad decision that screwed Wilson and Asher both financially and conceptually...beyond the notion of what is right or fair.

Further, consider Mike filed roughly *double* the claims to various songs in that suit than what actually made it to the case, which means roughly half got thrown out of court. Consider the reasons why that many of Mike's "claims" to cowrites were dismissed, and how many of those dismissed songs Mike tried to claim credit for where he wasn't due such credit.

It's a shame WIBN slipped through as it did, because it is and was a travesty.

PS - CenturyDeprived: Spot-on. Great post.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 01:41:30 PM »

By Mike’s logic, Dennis should be credited for Surfin’

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx