gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:22:46 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2018 New Music  (Read 2723 times)
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:06:46 PM »

C'mon, smileysmile, where's your new music thread?

I'll have to update this more later, but here's the most important update for 2018 so far—NEW BEACH HOUSE MUSIC! Album projected for this spring.

PREPARE TO CRY FROM ITS BEAUTY:
https://youtu.be/08qd-vsHbaY
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 07:07:36 PM by undercover-m » Logged

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2018, 04:19:08 AM »

Good to find this thread, M. Thank you for launching it. :=)

Heard this track by Lump on Jools' show last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51-8jUx0qww

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/04/laura-marling-and-mike-lindsay-form-new-band-lump/

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 11:24:18 AM »

It's starting to feel like McCartney's new album is imminent!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 06:10:02 PM »

Yep! I'm kind of excited to see if anything is released at midnight.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2018, 06:43:03 PM »

Well, while we wait for Paul to stop teasing us - I've kind of gotten a kick out of Weezer finding its way back onto the Hot 100 (after 8 years) thanks to a cover of an 80s song suggested by a teenager on twitter. I spent some time on the boardwalk today and what do I hear blasting from the speakers? Yup, you guessed it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4c7EE8_IX0

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 10:40:26 AM »

Yep! I'm kind of excited to see if anything is released at midnight.

I Don't Know / Come On To Me has been released! The album is due September 7th.

I like both songs, but I prefer Come On To Me. When I initially heard Paul's live performance last week, I wasn't sure how much I'd like it. When he repeated that refrain of sorts, "If you come on to me, will I come on to you? If you come on to me, will I come on to you?", it just struck me as lazy Paul songwriting which is a pet peeve of mine throughout his solo career. Thankfully, listening to the studio version, I think it works well enough. Beyond that, I love the clean production and I think Paul's vocals are pretty good. They sound more organic, than the highly processed vocals on I Don't Know. I see people talking about how much I Don't Know reminds them of Chaos & Creation. I can see that from a backing track production standpoint, and that it's a piano driven song, but I don't think the song itself is quite up to that standard, the vocal performance certainly isn't, and the production of the vocals sounds straight out of Memory Almost Full (e.g. See Your Sunshine). The vocal production on I Don't Know alone would take me out of Chaos. I like the song and I think it holds its own very well among McCartney's recent material, but I consider Chaos one of McCartney's best albums. I only rank Ram, Band On The Run, and Venus & Mars higher. On both songs, I love Paul's bass playing and especially the sound of his bass! He never fails in that regard. The more I listen to Come On To Me, the more I like it. I'll probably rank it among his best songs since 2000. It's got quite a bit of that "Electric Arguments" feel, which I'm a fan of (especially the raucous harmony vocals). It's got that stompin', percussive feel that Paul uses on songs like Dance Tonight, Light From Your Lighthouse, and Get Me Out Of Here. I also really enjoyed the guitar/horns break.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 06:08:46 PM by B.E. » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx