gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:10:00 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2018 Record Store Day - The Beach Boys  (Read 21040 times)
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2018, 08:14:16 AM »

The Beach Boys have had a number of RSD releases over the past few years, from Becoming the Beach Boys and the Love & Mercy soundtrack to Dennis Wilson's Bambu (The Caribou Sessions), to name a few. Is there any rumblings of anything for this year?
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »

I don't know of anything personally but I would LOVE to see either  an official Adult/Child release, or maybe a collection of outtakes from the late 70s, early 80s (Stevie, Boys & Girls, Sweetie)

The ultimate release for me would be a proper release of the highlights from the Wilson/Paley Sessions.

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 10:29:26 AM »

I don't know of anything personally but I would LOVE to see either  an official Adult/Child release, or maybe a collection of outtakes from the late 70s, early 80s (Stevie, Boys & Girls, Sweetie)

The ultimate release for me would be a proper release of the highlights from the Wilson/Paley Sessions.

I like the way you think! I would jump at Adult/Child and Wilson/Paley Sessions releases.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 11:13:07 AM »

How about a vinyl set of First Love and Country Love  Angry
With a bonus disc of out-takes from the NASCAR sessions  Roll Eyes
Actually First Love ain't too shabby
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »

How about a 50th anniversary Stack-O-Tracks release? Eh? Eh? Anyone?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 09:16:26 AM »

Archival releases, ideally on CD and at least via digital, that's the way to go.

This thing where they do a rererererereissue of something on vinyl for RSD, it's not hurting anybody, but that should be a "back burner" sort of thing for BRI and Capitol. At best, some vinyl RSD item could be used to kick start promotion for a larger project.

I'm most certainly *not* interested in vinyl-only releases of any previously unreleased material where the material isn't also offered as a digital download and/or on CD.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 09:29:17 AM »

Archival releases, ideally on CD and at least via digital, that's the way to go.

This thing where they do a rererererereissue of something on vinyl for RSD, it's not hurting anybody, but that should be a "back burner" sort of thing for BRI and Capitol. At best, some vinyl RSD item could be used to kick start promotion for a larger project.

I'm most certainly *not* interested in vinyl-only releases of any previously unreleased material where the material isn't also offered as a digital download and/or on CD.

I agree, but it seems like Record Store Day releases tend to skew more towards vinyl, and even cassettes.  It seems like many RSD releases are set up for the recent vinyl revival, but I"m still a CD guy.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 09:43:35 AM »

I agree. I'd like the RSD releases to complement or help promote bigger archival BB releases. But I think they've done a nice job with what the recent items, all of which were previously available on CD or otherwise. I thought Bambu was very nicely packaged.

I get that not everyone is into vinyl, but it's been having a moment the last few years. Why not have BB thrown in there with all the hipster offerings?
KDS
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 09:45:06 AM »

I agree. I'd like the RSD releases to complement or help promote bigger archival BB releases. But I think they've done a nice job with what the recent items, all of which were previously available on CD or otherwise. I thought Bambu was very nicely packaged.

I get that not everyone is into vinyl, but it's been having a moment the last few years. Why not have BB thrown in there with all the hipster offerings?

While not a RSD release, they are releasing......you guessed....Pet Sounds in a green and yellow vinyl record. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 02:10:57 AM »

How about a 50th anniversary Stack-O-Tracks release? Eh? Eh? Anyone?

Maybe that would be an idea for Mike to rehash the "50 the anniversary" yet another time. 50 Years of "Stack-o-tracks" - the complete album live on stage  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 03:18:41 AM »

Or maybe he could just keep rehashing the Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary!  Grin

By the way, well done in shoehorning Mike into a thread about Record Store day.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:19:45 AM by mikeddonn » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 11:47:04 AM »

Or maybe he could just keep rehashing the Pet Sounds 50th Anniversary!  Grin

By the way, well done in shoehorning Mike into a thread about Record Store day.

Always trying to help  Cool

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 09:10:47 PM »

I'd like to see a release of the "Lei'd in Hawaii" album from the first 1967 CD set.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2018, 01:58:46 AM »

Sound of Free/Lady 7" would be nice.

KDS
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »

I'd like to see a release of the "Lei'd in Hawaii" album from the first 1967 CD set.

Id love a stand alone LIH CD
hongkongcrowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 03:18:35 AM »

I would like a more full In Concert album with more of the Carnegie Hall show.  It would be great to have a 4 cd set of songs from the Ricky and Blondie era.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 07:29:34 AM »

While not a RSD release, they are releasing......you guessed....Pet Sounds in a green and yellow vinyl record. 

I saw that. I even entered a contest to win one, but I couldn't imagine actually buying one. I don't much go for gimmicky vinyl.

I like the Lei'd in the Hawaii idea or an expanded In Concert release.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2018, 11:23:59 AM »

Yes! It’s the perfect format and release for such an obscure record (that likely every voting member of The Beach Boys wouldn’t want out in mass distribution form). I have never really been impressed by the RSD offerings when it comes to The Beach Boys; Bambu was an interesting idea, but I feel like the only thing I’d be paying for is some album artwork as we already owned the tracks with the anniversary update of POB.

But a fully mastered Adult/Child? That would sell like hotcakes with us hardcore fans.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 08:18:22 PM »

I would buy it in a heartbeat

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2018, 09:00:42 PM »

I'd love an officially released version of Adult/Child. But I would want a more expanded version, with either a select amount of bonus tracks, or an entire second cd of alternate takes and session excerpts. Maybe a limited edition bonus cd of the entire Love You demo session in a cardboard sleeve.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2018, 12:02:59 PM »

All right, Adult/Child FTW! Make it so! Who do we talk to to make it so?
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »

I would like a more full In Concert album with more of the Carnegie Hall show.  It would be great to have a 4 cd set of songs from the Ricky and Blondie era.

You'll probably get it... but you'll have to wait until 2022.
zosobird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2018, 06:09:24 PM »

So this is the Beach Boys release:

2018/04/21   Beach Boys   2018RSD - In Paris With Andy Williams   Rock/Pop   5060331751274   1960'S RECORDS   7"   REP014
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2018, 02:18:47 AM »

2018/04/21   Beach Boys   2018RSD - In Paris With Andy Williams   Rock/Pop   5060331751274   1960'S RECORDS   7"   REP014

Any infos on the content? They appeared on the Andy Williams show (see below), but what has that got to do with Paris?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7duppJOm3NE - Littly cycle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUxMupNEno4 - Cal. Girls, Help me, Rhonda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLfhvSvBTX8 - Their hearts were full of spring
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 02:22:55 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 05:51:32 AM »

I would not imagine this is an authorized release by The Beach Boys. According to https://www.gs1us.org/tools/gs1-company-database-gepir, the barcode from this release is registered to a company out of London called TV Music. Would almost definitely be a Universal barcode if it was official. Happy to be proven wrong though.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 05:52:43 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx