gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:35:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342151 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1250 on: February 19, 2022, 05:43:25 AM »

The ostrich Festiva?l OMG
azmark99
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: February 19, 2022, 07:58:48 AM »

Take your pick----

On the same night....Al's Higley, Arizona show is fewer than 10 miles away from the Mike and Bruce Chandler Ostrich Festival show.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: February 19, 2022, 12:43:17 PM »

Take your pick----

On the same night....Al's Higley, Arizona show is fewer than 10 miles away from the Mike and Bruce Chandler Ostrich Festival show.

Real tough choice! Ha!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: February 20, 2022, 04:48:03 AM »

I'll take Al every time, plus I'm not a huge fan of the Ostrige!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: February 20, 2022, 04:21:27 PM »

If Mike and Bruce are playing a matinee show at the Ostrich Festival, that could open the door for a BB mini-reunion.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1255 on: February 21, 2022, 06:23:57 AM »

Occasionally over the years fans have noticed tour schedules for touring bands seeming to line up, and wonder about varying types of reunions.

Touring schedules have lined up before with two bands in the same city on the same date, and as far as I'm aware, in the 23 or so years that this has been possible, members have *never* appeared on stage with another member of another band in this scenario. I think the closest they've come is a few years ago when some members of Mike's band (including Bruce, but not Mike) visited Brian's show when they happened to be in town. Even then, they didn't appear on stage.

There's a first time for everything, and even in their current state of relations, I do think Al appearing on stage at a Mike show is a bit more possible than Brian and Mike crossing into each other's band.

But the various bands just don't tend to do this when they're out on tour. The few moments (e.g. Al with Mike's band in 2011) where they've made guest appearances, it has been a planned thing where the visiting member was not out on tour. In the case of that 2011 gig where Al sat in with Mike, I'd guess that was maybe a bit of a pre-pre-warmup to reunion activities several months later.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 06:24:52 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: February 21, 2022, 05:01:15 PM »

HeyJude, I was just having a little fun with the notion…
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1257 on: February 22, 2022, 06:35:58 AM »

It's all good, nothing wrong with speculating and having fun.

I just wanted to lay out some historical perspective on this particular type of thing, because I've sensed occasionally that some fans really think these things are plausible when they're really only plausible in the most basic "anything is possible" sense.

The idea of Al and Mike just casually dropping into each other's shows not only ignores past precedent, it also ignores the myriad of politics that still linger despite the occasional reunion or joint public appearance or even with another company taking over running the band's corporation. It also ignores the strategic notion of not wasting a "reunion" type event on some random gig in some random city, and instead waiting until they can use "reunion" headlines for a major event (whether that be an actual reunion concert, or some other type of joint appearance or interview, etc.)

While this doesn't apply to long-time fans on this board, I do still run across some newer fans who perhaps don't contextualize the band's history who don't understand why it isn't as simple as Al or Mike just dropping by each other's shows in a friendly manner. One would think the fact that they're not touring together in the first place would tend to be a strong indicator that such events are not so simple, but I dunno, there are fans who ignore the 60 years of internecine politics.

As always, the likelihood of such things waxes and wanes a bit over the years. Al playing with Mike in 2022 is probably more likely than it was in, say, 2013 or 1999, but probably less likely than in 2011 or 2012. And, as mentioned before, Al and Mike appearing together is a totally separate beast from the idea of Brian and Mike appearing together, which is a prospect that adds many more layers of politics and logistics.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2022, 06:36:39 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: February 22, 2022, 01:22:26 PM »

I remember when the ‘Mike fired Brian’ story was news in 2012 and Mike actually stated he legally can’t fire Brian from The Beach Boys.

Oh just once I would have liked Brian to turn up pre-gig and say ‘I’ll put my keyboard right here Mike. Where’s the set list?’. 👏👏👏
SonoraDick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: February 26, 2022, 07:53:10 AM »

it isn't as simple as Al or Mike just dropping by each other's shows in a friendly manner

The perfect opportunity for that would have been at Al's "Postcard" release party at the Roxy in 2010. As I recall, there was some teasing in the show's advertising about "other guest stars" or something like that. There was some wishful and wild speculation about Brian, but the closest we got was Marilyn, and I'm not sure she was even announced when she went on stage during the encore. (It was pretty loud in there.)
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: March 08, 2022, 05:05:57 AM »

Mike as well as the whole band sounds really good lately. I'm shooked at how good it actually sounds
azmark99
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 09, 2022, 07:37:57 PM »

For those who want to continue to "speculate and have fun".....

The Ostrich Festival is not a matinee show but, instead, a 9:30 PM show time.  Al's solo show begins at 7 PM fewer than ten miles away.

A $20 Ostrich Festival ticket and a short drive would allow you to be there "just in case". 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1262 on: December 01, 2022, 12:32:34 PM »

Isn't there a thread for 2022? I wanted to share this:

Win Tickets to the Beach Boys at Shea's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwVyM_8Kkfk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx