gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:09:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342219 times)
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1050 on: October 25, 2020, 02:47:58 PM »

Yet Brian and Al are not welcome.... Roll Eyes

Yet Mark "Orange County Biff Tannen" McGrath douche is. Great guy that Mark McGrath. Not that he, Mike, or Trump could possibly have that bully gene or anything like that...

https://youtu.be/jSU9oL5nLMA

Yikes. I do get kind of a 'young Mike Love' vibe from this footage to be honest.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: October 25, 2020, 05:14:25 PM »

Oh my Lord that is awful.

First off, it is so obvious when Stamos is on kit. What a damn mess. Got enough cymbals?

Second: vocals. Ouch. I did indeed listen all the way through, not much else to do! It wasn't until SLOOP JOHN B/WOULDN"T IT BE NICE that I found a decent lead vocal. Is it Totten? Last time I saw them (2018) Bruce was still taking the lead on this. The harmonies through the entire set are disastrous. Mike finally gets a decent lead on "California Girls". Bruce sounds drunk on "Do You Wanna Dance" like he's legit slurring. What even is that? And is that McGrath butchering Rhonda?

As their fearless leader would say .....   SAD!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: October 25, 2020, 06:38:41 PM »

To anyone who listened - did they perform "Drive-In"? According to setlist.fm they didn't. That seems crazy to me. You'd think that be automatic!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: October 25, 2020, 07:10:13 PM »

How anyone in their right mind could be interested in this fake, watered down sham of what is called The Beach Boys is beyond any logical type of reasoning. It absolutely displays how dutifully stupid and naive the general public can be. And how dumb is it that people actually think that Mike Love is the official bearer of the group name after he has dragged the legacy through the stinking muck with the likes of Stamos and other non talents that appear on stage with this clown. It has gone far beyond removing the license from this gawd awful jackass and either retire the name or give it back to Brian  who is the ONLY one to whom it should belong. It's time to put Mike Love down where he belongs and let him perform under his own Gosh Darn name and quit trying to fool those poor pathetic followers that HE is The Beach Boys. 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: October 25, 2020, 08:32:16 PM »

To anyone who listened - did they perform "Drive-In"? According to setlist.fm they didn't. That seems crazy to me. You'd think that be automatic!
Disappointingly, they did not. Didn't even play In the Parkin' Lot either!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: October 26, 2020, 08:28:19 AM »

How anyone in their right mind could be interested in this fake, watered down sham of what is called The Beach Boys is beyond any logical type of reasoning. It absolutely displays how dutifully stupid and naive the general public can be.

In defense of the general public, The touring Beach Boys have had some shady marketing over the years (pictures of the original line-up, video promotions with Brian and Al, there have even been times where the venue has to assure the ticket-holders/buyers that "this isn't a reunion show with Brian Wilson" if memory serves me correctly). And on top of that, just the name itself says flatly "The Beach Boys" - so if you're not like us on this website (where everyone has 15+ copies of Pet Sounds each), I don't really blame you if you don't know that "The Beach Boys" don't really mean "The Beach Boys" when it comes to the touring group.

When I was younger, before I really got into The Beach Boys, I saw an ad in the local paper for a Beach Boys concert in my local city. I was sooo close to buying tickets but didn't because I was short on money and had no one to go with. But those were my only reasons for not going. I had no idea who the original line-up was, had no idea that only two original Beach Boys were apart of the touring group. I just saw a nice looking ad and thought it would be great fun to see The Beach Boys and hear some great music.

And that's what this band is to most people: they just love hearing those original harmonies at a July 4th barbecue (or a Beach Boys concert after a few beers). They don't care about the history, they don't care about the feuds/squabbling. It is just about the music to them...and honestly I rather envy those people anymore because they don't know all the garbage we know about this band (which can and does at times affect my enjoyment of the music - just being honest).

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1056 on: October 26, 2020, 09:38:50 AM »

I say this truly objectively as someone who's had plenty of criticisms but has pointed out that by and large, with Totten running the band, they usually sound professional and tight overall;  that's the worst I've heard Mike's touring band sound in years. It's probably the "rustiest" I've ever heard them sound, which is not surprising given the circumstances. But still interesting/fascinating.

And they pretty much all sound rusty and under-rehearsed. Even the lead vocalists sound shaky. I don't know if I've ever heard Mike sound that shaky, as in his voice literally has a sort of wobble/flutter, sort of like McCartney's mostly-shot voice now.

It'll be interesting to see whether this is a gradual thing happening to Mike's voice, or if it's just the result of not singing much this year.

I'd say it's likely just a case of not getting together to rehearse much, but I can't imagine why, if they're already willing to risk doing shows in the first place and congregate, they'd have an aversion to a day or two of rehearsals. I'm curious if they did rehearse prior to these shows, or if they just used the soundcheck to rehearse. It sounds like the textbook example of a band who hasn't played together in like a year. (Even though they have done a few other shows in recent months).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: October 26, 2020, 12:40:26 PM »

How anyone in their right mind could be interested in this fake, watered down sham of what is called The Beach Boys is beyond any logical type of reasoning. It absolutely displays how dutifully stupid and naive the general public can be.

In defense of the general public, The touring Beach Boys have had some shady marketing over the years (pictures of the original line-up, video promotions with Brian and Al, there have even been times where the venue has to assure the ticket-holders/buyers that "this isn't a reunion show with Brian Wilson" if memory serves me correctly). And on top of that, just the name itself says flatly "The Beach Boys" - so if you're not like us on this website (where everyone has 15+ copies of Pet Sounds each), I don't really blame you if you don't know that "The Beach Boys" don't really mean "The Beach Boys" when it comes to the touring group.

When I was younger, before I really got into The Beach Boys, I saw an ad in the local paper for a Beach Boys concert in my local city. I was sooo close to buying tickets but didn't because I was short on money and had no one to go with. But those were my only reasons for not going. I had no idea who the original line-up was, had no idea that only two original Beach Boys were apart of the touring group. I just saw a nice looking ad and thought it would be great fun to see The Beach Boys and hear some great music.

And that's what this band is to most people: they just love hearing those original harmonies at a July 4th barbecue (or a Beach Boys concert after a few beers). They don't care about the history, they don't care about the feuds/squabbling. It is just about the music to them...and honestly I rather envy those people anymore because they don't know all the garbage we know about this band (which can and does at times affect my enjoyment of the music - just being honest).

Spot on.

Mike's touring license could be revoked at any time if the other principals objected to how he is using the name.

I don't see that happening.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: October 26, 2020, 02:05:54 PM »

Spot on.

Mike's touring license could be revoked at any time if the other principals objected to how he is using the name.

I'm not so sure it's anywhere near as easy as that. Just keep in mind how litigious Mike is.

I have a suspicion that Mike has made maneuvers behind the scenes with BRI to perhaps change the power structure, so that he never loses the license under any circumstances. Or at minimum, he could create all sorts of legal blockades and threats where anybody who would even think of challenging it would know they be in for an uphill legal battle that would be prolonged, costly, and who has the emotional energy for that when approaching 80?

Of course Brian and Al like to get checks for doing nothing, I'm not denying that's the case. But I really do think that stripping Mike of the license would not at all be some sort of "easy" thing to do at this point.

Plus, just think about how mad Mike would be if that happened to him. That's literally all he's got going for him at this time, is the adulation from low information fans at shows. It would literally be the most emasculating, detrimental thing to him, and if it were to actually happen, he would probably lash out in all sorts of ways, perhaps causing other releases beyond FF to be completely blocked and who knows what else, solely out of pure spite. I mean, I don't think the guy has shown anywhere near what he is really capable of if he were actually deprived of that one thing. He would unleash WWIII in BBs world.

Like it or not, Brian knows that he's stuck with having to deal with Mike. It's just like having fathered a child with somebody who you found out was a massive narcissist later on, you are tied to that person for life. Be careful who you create offspring with, and who you create bands with.

I just don't think Brian or Al or Carl's kids want to unleash the type of holy hell that could come out of rocking the boat in that severe a manner. But that said, I do think that Brian and Al probably would *like* to do it and reclaim the name for themselves, if it were an easy thing to do at this point. But they aren't fighters in that type of way, especially when it would be an excruciating and ugly fight.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 02:44:13 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: October 27, 2020, 08:25:22 AM »

Spot on.

I'm not so sure it's anywhere near as easy as that. Just keep in mind how litigious Mike is.

I have a suspicion that Mike has made maneuvers behind the scenes with BRI to perhaps change the power structure, so that he never loses the license under any circumstances. Or at minimum, he could create all sorts of legal blockades and threats where anybody who would even think of challenging it would know they be in for an uphill legal battle that would be prolonged, costly, and who has the emotional energy for that when approaching 80?

Of course Brian and Al like to get checks for doing nothing, I'm not denying that's the case. But I really do think that stripping Mike of the license would not at all be some sort of "easy" thing to do at this point.

Plus, just think about how mad Mike would be if that happened to him. That's literally all he's got going for him at this time, is the adulation from low information fans at shows. It would literally be the most emasculating, detrimental thing to him, and if it were to actually happen, he would probably lash out in all sorts of ways, perhaps causing other releases beyond FF to be completely blocked and who knows what else, solely out of pure spite. I mean, I don't think the guy has shown anywhere near what he is really capable of if he were actually deprived of that one thing. He would unleash WWIII in BBs world.

Like it or not, Brian knows that he's stuck with having to deal with Mike. It's just like having fathered a child with somebody who you found out was a massive narcissist later on, you are tied to that person for life. Be careful who you create offspring with, and who you create bands with.

I just don't think Brian or Al or Carl's kids want to unleash the type of holy hell that could come out of rocking the boat in that severe a manner. But that said, I do think that Brian and Al probably would *like* to do it and reclaim the name for themselves, if it were an easy thing to do at this point. But they aren't fighters in that type of way, especially when it would be an excruciating and ugly fight.

Sadly agreed. With regards to liking to do it, there’s a Rolling Stone article from 2013 where Brian mentioned wanting to go out with Al and David Marks as The Original Beach Boys. But that would probably be so difficult to do. Somewhat off topic, but do we know why David Marks really hasn’t done any gigs with any of his BB bandmates between 2015 and his health scare?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: October 27, 2020, 06:08:21 PM »

I always got the impression that David was fairly neutral and didn't want much of anything to do with the BS. No proof on that, just my observation.

I've seen him with both Brian & Al (2013), and with Mike & Bruce (2015) and he seemed equally distant with all four guys.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: October 28, 2020, 07:52:47 PM »

Well, I, for one, would truly love to see the Satan stripped of his touring license. He's so evil. And it would be a laugh riot to see the pathetic loser crying until he's 120 about how his bandmates betrayed him, turned against him, "but what else can you expect from a bunch of pathetic drug addicts? I was the f****ing genius in the group! I came up "i'm picking up good vibrations, not Brian! I wrote the lyrics to California Girls, not Brian! ****! I wrote Kokomo, the biggest f****ing hit the Beach Boys ever had! I toured the f***ing world while Brian was zoned out on drugs in his f***ing mansion! I'm a f***ing genius! Genius, I tell you! Hey, I can be just as crazy as Brian!  Remember when I walked onstage in my bathrobe? Remember when I said I could levitate? ****! ****!"
Tom
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: October 29, 2020, 07:20:30 PM »

That concert recording really is amateurish. Mike's voice is so bad - it's like a natural tremolo filter! Is Mark McGrath the other guy singing Do It Again? So poor - every third or fourth note he goes flat. But then Mike is weirdly sharp almost all the time? I'd be feeling pretty salty if I'd paid to see this.  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 07:22:07 PM by Tom » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: October 29, 2020, 08:57:27 PM »

I hope this was an off night for Mike, and not the new normal with his voice. I think the group still sounded *ok* when Stamos wasn't drumming. Just understandably rusty. Perhaps the monitoring was poor. But Timmy's keys and Keith's bass sounded wonderful. The vocals were shaky overall, but I think Ike, Totten, and Bruce did well. I think Bruce rocked on Do You Wanna Dance. Mike's voice had me worried. Between the video of his movements and audio of his singing, it's the first time Mike has really seemed his age to me. My dad and I always leave the Mike & Bruce shows talking about what a force of nature Mike is. That he can bring such energy, walking around the stage, sounding, for the most part, almost identical to his voice in the golden era. An absolute professional. Akin to Mccartney or Jagger. That may not be what went on the 98-99 let's say when it was a free for all, but in the time I've been seeing BB shows (2014-today) Mike has always had great energy and voice. But this most recent show, and to an extent, some of the shows leading up to it, Mike's voice sounds so shaky. Makes me wonder what's going on. I guess its pretty similar to McCartney's shaky live tone of the last few years.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 04:13:44 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: October 30, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »

I hope this was an off night for Mike, and not the new normal with his voice. I think the group still sounded *ok* when Stamos wasn't drumming. Just understandably rusty. Perhaps the monitoring was poor. But Timmy's keys and Keith's bass sounded wonderful. The vocals were shaky overall, but I think Ike, Totten, and Bruce did well. I think Bruce rocked on Do You Wanna Dance. Mike's voice had me worried. Between the video of his movements and audio of his singing, it's the first time Mike has really seemed his age to me. My dad and I always leave the Mike & Bruce shows talking about what a force of nature Mike is. That he can bring such energy, walking around the stage, sounding, for the most part, almost identical to his voice in the golden era. An absolute professional. Akin to Mccartney or Jagger. That may not be what went on the 98-99 let's say when it was a free for all, but in the time I've been seeing BB shows (2014-today) Mike has always had great energy and voice. But this most recent show, and to an extent, some of the shows leading up to it, Mike's voice sounds so shaky. Makes me wonder what's going on. I guess its pretty similar to McCartney's shaky live tone of the last few years.
Mike sounded fine when I saw the guys last year; all that time off probably did him no favors.
The deterioration of Paul's voice is much sadder to him; he once had a beautiful voice.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1065 on: October 30, 2020, 07:14:48 PM »

Mike sounded fine when I saw the guys last year; all that time off probably did him no favors.
The deterioration of Paul's voice is much sadder to him; he once had a beautiful voice.

Agreed on both points. I saw M&B in August 2019 and can’t remember his voice being particularly bad.

EDIT: I honestly can’t remember much about August 2019 because it honestly feels like so long ago - probably a little weaker than April 2015, the first time I saw them.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 01:21:07 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: October 30, 2020, 07:48:22 PM »

I've heard Mike Love 11 times between 2010-2018 and every time sounded as good or better than the time before EXCEPT the last time: 2018 Christmas Tour. There was noticeable deterioration from Summer of '17 prior.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: October 31, 2020, 07:14:54 PM »

Agreed on both points. I saw M&B in August 2019 and can’t remember his voice being particularly bad.

EDIT: I honestly can’t remember much about August 2019 because it honestly feels like so long ago - probably a little weaker than April 2015, the first time I saw them.
I feel the same way. February 2020 seems like another world.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: November 03, 2020, 01:59:57 PM »

It appears Scott has suffered some sort of arm/wrist injury. I wonder who will play all the leads or if the few dates left will be cancelled.

Who was singing the first verse of Sloop in that recording? Christian?
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: November 04, 2020, 09:04:58 AM »

It appears Scott has suffered some sort of arm/wrist injury. I wonder who will play all the leads or if the few dates left will be cancelled.

Who was singing the first verse of Sloop in that recording? Christian?
That's Scott Totten, although I bet Christian will sing it at the upcoming show now.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: November 16, 2020, 12:29:39 AM »

I think these clips prove that the recent Drive In show was a fluke...

Sloop/WIBN: https://youtu.be/OyVRuQQ9OxI

Bruce KILLS the lead. Sounds strong, considering his age.

California Sun: https://youtu.be/7PqP9hUGpNk

Mike sounds like Mike f*ckin Love!!! Not the warbly mess from the drive in show. A little shaky? Yeah, but still sounds fabulous.

Interesting, and to me very pleasing, to see Randell filling in for Scott. He’s an excellent singer, guitarist, bassist whose played with BBs, J&D, BW band, Dean/Alan/David “allstar” band— definitely earned his stripes. Of the best (non BW falsettos/BW Imitation)  my list goes in order goes  Al (62-early 80’s), Ike, Kirsch, Baker (on a good day), and lastly Foskett. That’s not to say I don’t love Jeff’s voice, but his mid range is where he shines in my opinion, and the falsetto could be very pitchy at times, my two cents.... a long tangent to say, that I’m happy to see Kirsch back in the picture, even if only temporary. All these sidemen are obviously so dedicated to the music, given that when they leave the BBs/Solo/J&D bands, they start/join tribute  bands.

Anyway, in my opinion the horrible vocals of the Drive In show were probably a combination of Mike being under the weather (G-d willing, not Covid) and shitty monitoring. And The Beach Boys, as a touring band, still seem to be a fabulous Unit.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:33:33 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: November 16, 2020, 12:30:12 AM »

I think these clips prove that the recent Drive In show was a fluke...

Sloop/WIBN: https://youtu.be/OyVRuQQ9OxI

Bruce KILLS the lead. Sounds strong, considering his age.

California Sun: https://youtu.be/7PqP9hUGpNk

Mike sounds like Mike f*ckin Love!!! Not the warbly mess from the drive in show. A little shaky? Yeah, but still sounds fabulous.

Interesting, and to me very pleasing, to see Randell filling in for Scott. He’s an excellent singer, guitarist, bassist whose played with BBs, J&D, BW band, Dean/Alan/David “allstar” band— definitely earned his stripes. Of the best (non BW falsettos/BW Imitation)  my list goes in order goes  Al (62-early 80’s), Ike, Kirsch, Baker (on a good day), and lastly Foskett. That’s not to say I don’t love Jeff’s voice, but his mid range is where he shines in my opinion, and the falsetto could be very pitchy at times, my two cents.... a long tangent to say, that I’m happy to see Kirsch back in the picture, even if only temporary. All these sidemen are obviously so dedicated to the music, given that when they leave the BBs/Solo/J&D bands, they start/join tribute  bands.

Anyway, in my opinion the horrible vocals of the Drive In show were probably a combination of Mike being under the weather (G-d willing, not Covid) and shitty monitoring. And The Beach Boys, as a touring band, still seem to be a fabulous Unit.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 12:33:08 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1072 on: November 16, 2020, 07:08:09 AM »

They definitely sound more rehearsed (or less under-rehearsed as it were).

I still hear a shakiness/warble in Mike's voice on that "California Sun"; less so than the previous gigs, but I think that's just to some degree where his voice is now. Much like McCartney, it's more or less noticeable depending on the song and the key/vocal range.

I have to reiterate, because it would be ridiculous to ignore the elephant in the room, especially for "non-drive-in" shows that, given where the COVID numbers are heading, it's *increasingly* irresponsible to be playing gigs. These gigs on YouTube were in Utah, and appear to not have been "drive in" shows, and Utah's numbers are spiking like most states.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: November 16, 2020, 12:43:27 PM »

Yeah these don't look like socially distanced/outdoor gigs at all, what's going on?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: November 16, 2020, 05:17:18 PM »

Those vocals were rough all the way around. It was less noticeably offensive because it wasn't a soundboard recording, but it's no better or perhaps marginally at best.

It's disgusting those Utah shows even happened. I'm stunned that the DC Anthem show hasn't been cancelled yet on 12/1, just a few weeks away.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx