gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:58:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342236 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: July 31, 2020, 06:10:53 PM »

All I have to say about this is...how fucking dare you endanger the safety of your fans in a situation like this. A man has the right to learn a living, but there are better and safer ways to do it.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: July 31, 2020, 07:21:07 PM »

Mike Love's fake Beach Boys act is not worth dying for. And he's a complete asshole for doing a show. I hope he and the band get quarantined for 2 or more weeks.  Angry

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: July 31, 2020, 07:36:34 PM »

Bingo. I will usually be the first to defend Mike Love's touring act, but anyone that is performing during this pandemic that doesn't have to be doing it to survive, pay rent on a modest home, or feed their families has lost respect from me for quite a while.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #978 on: July 31, 2020, 09:23:22 PM »

Those photos remind me of the amusement park gig where Spinal Tap played "Jazz Odyssey".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: July 31, 2020, 09:33:14 PM »

All I have to say about this is...how fucking dare you endanger the safety of your fans in a situation like this. A man has the right to learn a living, but there are better and safer ways to do it.

Surely those fans have to take some responsibility for their own safety if they are taking the decision to attend?

I find the whole thing bizarre overall and wouldn't have risked attending, but as far as I know it is not clear yet how much outdoor events like this contribute to the spread of the virus. Someone may correct me if they know better, but I don't think there has been evidence that, say, the recent anti-racism protests contributed significantly to the spread of the virus, and those were attended by thousands.

(To be clear I am in no way suggesting that it is "okay" to attend a concert on the basis that people got together to protest against an appalling murder).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:37:46 PM by Sam_BFC » Logged

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
thetojo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #980 on: August 01, 2020, 12:09:21 AM »

Was Bruce's keyboard plugged in?
It's hard to tell from the photo.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 12:10:08 AM by thetojo » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #981 on: August 01, 2020, 07:01:13 AM »

Yeah, I'm disgusted that Mike and Bruce grabbed random people from the street at gunpoint and forced them into the concert. Absolutely despicable.

Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: August 01, 2020, 07:44:12 AM »

I agree completely.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: August 01, 2020, 10:31:36 AM »

Surely those fans have to take some responsibility for their own safety if they are taking the decision to attend?

I find the whole thing bizarre overall and wouldn't have risked attending, but as far as I know it is not clear yet how much outdoor events like this contribute to the spread of the virus. Someone may correct me if they know better, but I don't think there has been evidence that, say, the recent anti-racism protests contributed significantly to the spread of the virus, and those were attended by thousands.

(To be clear I am in no way suggesting that it is "okay" to attend a concert on the basis that people got together to protest against an appalling murder).

The fact that it's outdoors helps quite a bit, but unless there was a mask ordinance in effect then it easily could've endangered attendees, everyone they encounter after the concert, etc.

The protests actually are proof of how much masks work. There hasn't been a spike in cases in cities where protests were occurring, but the spikes are all only in states that reopened early.
kennyhasbeenfound
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: August 01, 2020, 10:37:08 AM »

Those photos remind me of the amusement park gig where Spinal Tap played "Jazz Odyssey".

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times, put Beach Boys first and Puppet Show LAST.

"Shut up you guys"- Carl Wilson.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #985 on: August 01, 2020, 02:06:23 PM »

It is always plugged in, just not turned on, like Brian on his solo tours.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: August 01, 2020, 02:09:01 PM »

A clip here.

https://youtu.be/P98vS884AQc

The few seconds either end showing the audience paint a pretty sad picture. I’ve seen more people at a sound check.

I can't imagine there's much money to be made on venues that are half-full...or less. I don't fault Mike for wanting to get out and play - i'm an entertainer, too, and i miss it more than anything - but it's not time now.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: August 01, 2020, 05:53:47 PM »

It is always plugged in, just not turned on, like Brian on his solo tours.

If it’s never turned on, then why is he always fiddling with the volume button?
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #988 on: August 02, 2020, 05:25:29 AM »

Bruce's keyboard is on. It may be quiet in the mix most of the time, or not be in the audiences mix, but Bruce will have his own monitor where he may hear it.

Even then, it's audible on Disney Girls and I'm sure people in the past have said it's audible on other songs, but I cba to trawl the forums for them.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #989 on: August 02, 2020, 11:10:02 AM »

According to a study done by the National Bureau of Economic Research the BLM gatherings across the country did not lead to a spike in any city (this research was shared by The Wall Street Journal, Forbes, Vox). Trump has claimed that the protests have led to spikes in certain cities but as far as I know he hasn't cited a source for that claim. The NBER study did say that according to cell-phone data the protests actually kept many people home which probably explains why the numbers seemed to balance out. However, a study done of 7,000 cases in China showed that only one of those cases was spread outdoors, and that was due to two friends having a long conversation in close proximity. According to a Japanese study you are 20x more likely to contract the virus indoors than outdoors - part of the reason for this is due to outdoor wind dispersal and that the constantly moving air prohibits the virus from building up and becoming more easily spreadable (as it does indoors). Couple that with a highly regulated concert (social distancing, required mask wearing) and that is probably why health officials gave their approval for Mike Love to go ahead with the Nebraska concert. Of course some people will not wear a mask (whether due to their "freedoms" or because they are eating or drinking), however, the rate of transmission at an outdoor venue, regardless of whether or not you are wearing a mask, is far, far lower than if you were in an indoor environment.

I'm not saying if it's right or wrong, but I also want to stress the importance of following the science/statistics/research instead of basing our denouncement of Mike Love and other bands on our own emotions/fears.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: August 02, 2020, 12:59:32 PM »

Thanks for providing that detail Rab and agreed.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: August 02, 2020, 03:32:16 PM »

Bruce's keyboard is on. It may be quiet in the mix most of the time, or not be in the audiences mix, but Bruce will have his own monitor where he may hear it.

Even then, it's audible on Disney Girls and I'm sure people in the past have said it's audible on other songs, but I cba to trawl the forums for them.

Supposedly he’s also audible on Darlin, GV, and BTTYS since John Cowsill moved from keys to drums in late 2007.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #992 on: August 03, 2020, 11:23:32 AM »

Mike played the Pinewood Bowl in Lincoln Nebraska last night. Here are a few articles (with photos) about the gig:

(scroll down this page for more photos)
https://journalstar.com/entertainment/music/good-vibrations-from-a-distance-concertgoers-play-it-safe-at-beach-boys-pinewood-bowl-show/article_b907277c-3763-513b-8061-00cb0f808648.html

Local news report:
https://www.1011now.com/2020/08/03/pinewood-bowl-hosts-the-beach-boys/

And here is a MassLive news report about the band still planning to play the only show not cancelled out of a six-show New England run in September:
https://www.masslive.com/music/2020/08/beach-boys-holding-on-to-connecticut-concert-date.html

Here is video of the Aug. 2 Pinewood concert, with a few more clips upped at that YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNztu8jOuIw

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #993 on: August 03, 2020, 11:29:35 AM »

Looks like the mask-wearing requirement wasn't being enforced across the board, at least according to this one Twitter user:
https://twitter.com/StineJosh/status/1290251555585703936

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: August 03, 2020, 12:37:24 PM »

The fake Beach Boys need to be boycotted. They're sending a crappy message that they don't care about the health or well being of their audience. The being problem is that Mike Love cannot stand being at home for more than 2 days in a row and is hooked on whatever adulation he can get from applause or being the "man in charge".
What a pathetic "waste of human flesh" he is. He needs absolutely no more money (has too much anyway), and why anyone would be the least bit interested in seeing this clown is beyond logic. Seeing that he doesn't give a sh*t about the fans, his band and himself, no tears will be shed by me if he contracts the virus. Yeah, rock on, Mike, you dope.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #995 on: August 03, 2020, 12:49:14 PM »

Looks like the mask-wearing requirement wasn't being enforced across the board, at least according to this one Twitter user:

Mind blowing. These people are living in an alternate reality. I wonder if they know that almost every concert venue and tour in the world is currently shut down.

This newer gig looks far worse in every respect than that Ozark gig a few days earlier. More people, less space, less mask-wearing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #996 on: August 03, 2020, 12:50:52 PM »

Interestingly, in this video from last night, Cowsill appears to be the only band member on stage wearing a mask while drumming/singing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNztu8jOuIw

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: August 03, 2020, 12:52:59 PM »

Looking at the pictures from that Nebraska gig, it really does look like a bad idea placing all those older people so close together. And I am still adamant that science needs to be the deciding factor in what events are safe, but man I wouldn’t be caught anywhere near that concert.

I don’t get why Mike didn’t start with online concerts. Heck perhaps Brian and his band should do this: charge $40 per “ticket” and limit it to like the first 500 who sign up/pay. That’s $20,000 for one online concert. Do that once a week? Have a chat room where people can request songs. Have a soundcheck, etc.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: August 03, 2020, 01:14:48 PM »

Sadly, this was a completely predictable outcome.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: August 03, 2020, 02:06:50 PM »

Mike's logic in all this might be "this is great, we're the only band out there playing now, so we'll get tons of publicity!" We know from past experiences (R&R HOF comes to mind) that ML truly believes there is no such thing as bad publicity.
I wish i was in his shoes, with the ability to pick and choose when i work. My employer has called me back to work, starting tomorrow, and if you think i'm nervous....you're right.  Cry Cry Cry
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx