gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:46:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342217 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #950 on: July 22, 2020, 02:26:22 PM »

In an even more stunning move, Mike has added dancers back to the show as well:

Could possibly be accurate but this is an indoor venue. Mike has only confirmed dates for outdoor gigs.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 02:29:27 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #951 on: July 22, 2020, 03:17:05 PM »

In an even more stunning move, Mike has added dancers back to the show as well:

Could possibly be accurate but this is an indoor venue. Mike has only confirmed dates for outdoor gigs.

It's a joke. Using the first available photo from Google Images. It's probably a movie theater in Hong Kong or something.

Just to be clear everybody, Mike Love has *not* hired dancers who dress up in hazmat suits and disinfect the seating area. I didn't know a possible reaction to the photo could be "well, possibly, but...."  LOL

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: July 22, 2020, 03:32:55 PM »

Clearly I know you're joking, HeyJude. I'm just being a troll in this case.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #953 on: July 22, 2020, 04:22:35 PM »

After seeing and hearing even more today about the state of live music for the next several months, and hearing how all of this even affects things as local and relatively small as school band programs whose future is either up in the air with weeks to go or which may simply be cut entirely since there will be no outlets for students to perform potentially for the rest of 2020 due to distancing and limits on indoor gatherings...I just cannot justify Mike or anyone playing these live shows in the next two weeks for the sake of playing shows. Or for whatever other reasons may be at play. It just isn't worth it.

During a video meeting earlier today, someone brought up a great point about trying to schedule any live events at this time. That point was, perhaps it is a case of acceptance at this point, where some might want to proceed as normal and book these kinds of events because they can't or won't accept that things are beyond f***ed up and will not be normal for longer than we/they had hoped. I can't tell you how disappointed I am to hear event after event which I dearly love to attend and look forward to all year being cancelled, and the bottom line for me at this point is there is *nothing* I can do to change any of this. You just keep moving day to day and do what you can do to stay healthy and able to pay the bills. But one thing I can't do is act as if things are anywhere near normal - at least in my area - and think scheduling a show when there are limits on everything from restaurants to the number of guests at a wedding is a rational train of thought. At some point it almost has to register where there is an acceptance that 2020 is not normal and will not return to normal anytime soon, and attempts to try to recapture some normalcy like planning a concert may not be as beneficial as trying to find a way to get through all of this as best as we all can.

With that said, and I held off from mentioning this before, I think if he's itching that badly to play gigs during all of this uncertainty, Mike should consider doing what it seems more country music artists have done, and do one of those concert events that gets shown via video at Drive-In theaters. You're giving fans a virtual live experience and giving them the music without all of the crap these venues and employees will have to go through at these arenas and fairgrounds to stage one-off shows.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: July 22, 2020, 08:02:24 PM »

After seeing and hearing even more today about the state of live music for the next several months, and hearing how all of this even affects things as local and relatively small as school band programs whose future is either up in the air with weeks to go or which may simply be cut entirely since there will be no outlets for students to perform potentially for the rest of 2020 due to distancing and limits on indoor gatherings...I just cannot justify Mike or anyone playing these live shows in the next two weeks for the sake of playing shows. Or for whatever other reasons may be at play. It just isn't worth it.

During a video meeting earlier today, someone brought up a great point about trying to schedule any live events at this time. That point was, perhaps it is a case of acceptance at this point, where some might want to proceed as normal and book these kinds of events because they can't or won't accept that things are beyond f***ed up and will not be normal for longer than we/they had hoped. I can't tell you how disappointed I am to hear event after event which I dearly love to attend and look forward to all year being cancelled, and the bottom line for me at this point is there is *nothing* I can do to change any of this. You just keep moving day to day and do what you can do to stay healthy and able to pay the bills. But one thing I can't do is act as if things are anywhere near normal - at least in my area - and think scheduling a show when there are limits on everything from restaurants to the number of guests at a wedding is a rational train of thought. At some point it almost has to register where there is an acceptance that 2020 is not normal and will not return to normal anytime soon, and attempts to try to recapture some normalcy like planning a concert may not be as beneficial as trying to find a way to get through all of this as best as we all can.

With that said, and I held off from mentioning this before, I think if he's itching that badly to play gigs during all of this uncertainty, Mike should consider doing what it seems more country music artists have done, and do one of those concert events that gets shown via video at Drive-In theaters. You're giving fans a virtual live experience and giving them the music without all of the crap these venues and employees will have to go through at these arenas and fairgrounds to stage one-off shows.

There are many safe options,  such as this thing Nick Cave is doing: 

https://dice.fm/event/8pxww-idiot-prayer-nick-cave-alone-at-alexandra-palace-ns-america-7pm-pdt10pm-edt-23rd-jul-stream-via-alexandra-palace-london-los-angeles-tickets

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #955 on: July 25, 2020, 09:44:27 AM »

Unbelieveably, two new confirmed dates for M&B:

July 30 -- Springfield, MO -- Ozark Empire Fair (face masks required)
Aug. 21 -- Cedar Rapids, IA -- McGrath Amphitheatre

Even holding a fair right now seems pretty darn risky to me, let alone playing one. Too many people together in one area, no matter how many precautions you take or require. (And no, I'm not going to Disney World anytime soon.)

Just some perspective on this: If I were to travel from my state to see either of these two shows, my state's health department recommends I quarantine for 14 days after I return home. Missouri and Iowa are among the 20 states currently on the "hot list".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #956 on: July 25, 2020, 07:38:03 PM »

Unbelieveably, two new confirmed dates for M&B:

July 30 -- Springfield, MO -- Ozark Empire Fair (face masks required)
Aug. 21 -- Cedar Rapids, IA -- McGrath Amphitheatre

Even holding a fair right now seems pretty darn risky to me, let alone playing one. Too many people together in one area, no matter how many precautions you take or require. (And no, I'm not going to Disney World anytime soon.)

Just some perspective on this: If I were to travel from my state to see either of these two shows, my state's health department recommends I quarantine for 14 days after I return home. Missouri and Iowa are among the 20 states currently on the "hot list".

Off-topic, but my state has 42 states on the hot list, of course including these two.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #957 on: July 25, 2020, 10:08:53 PM »

Wow! Really feeling for you guys. Fortunate to be safe here in NZ with the exact opposite. No cases for 3 months and just the odd import being picked up during isolation in their required 2 week hotel stay after arriving from overseas.
Apparently promoters have said they have had approaches from acts willing to isolate for 2 weeks this upcoming summer then hit the road. Unlikely to be big acts I guess with a base of only 5 million but you never know. Those desperate to be active might do it for the love rather than the money.

Stay safe all and wear those masks!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 10:10:25 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #958 on: July 27, 2020, 05:01:36 PM »

It's rough, and seemingly not getting any better. The Philadelphia Phillies just started playing ball within the past week to empty stadiums, and already two players from literally the first team they played in this shortened season have tested positive, which means that team was stuck in Philly and the game scheduled for tonight with another team has been canceled. And these are young players in peak physical condition and health, playing with all precautions in place to stadiums with no fans present and watching live. That's crazy.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #959 on: July 28, 2020, 11:43:03 AM »

It's even worse for the Miami Marlins, with 14 17 players and staff testing positive. And some states still think holding a fair with lots of people in one place is OK right now....
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 08:30:55 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #960 on: July 28, 2020, 12:48:38 PM »

Yes, that was the Marlins in town to play a weekend series with the Phillies, and originally they reported 2 players tested positive, then it went to 13 as of last night, and now it's 14 I guess (or more)...and they're quarantined in a high-rise hotel in Philly. The Phillies had to cancel their games with the Yankees due to this, and it seems to be getting buried but some are saying the 2 positive Marlins players knew that they had it prior to coming to Philly for the games but came anyway...who knows what happened unless it gets reported.

Agree 110%, if under such a tightly controlled, non-public environment with professional athletes there are still situations like this blowing up, who would think going to a public concert would be a safe bet. I think I feel most for the frontline and regular staff of these fairs and venues, they're not working steady anyway and here comes Mike's show into town to play ***one show*** while others around it have all postponed to 2021 or canceled outright, and you get called to come to sell french fries or f***ing hats or something to these crowds for probably less than 10 bucks an hour and deal with groups of people from all over the area.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #961 on: July 28, 2020, 01:15:19 PM »

Yes, that was the Marlins in town to play a weekend series with the Phillies, and originally they reported 2 players tested positive, then it went to 13 as of last night, and now it's 14 I guess (or more)...and they're quarantined in a high-rise hotel in Philly. The Phillies had to cancel their games with the Yankees due to this, and it seems to be getting buried but some are saying the 2 positive Marlins players knew that they had it prior to coming to Philly for the games but came anyway...who knows what happened unless it gets reported.

Agree 110%, if under such a tightly controlled, non-public environment with professional athletes there are still situations like this blowing up, who would think going to a public concert would be a safe bet. I think I feel most for the frontline and regular staff of these fairs and venues, they're not working steady anyway and here comes Mike's show into town to play ***one show*** while others around it have all postponed to 2021 or canceled outright, and you get called to come to sell french fries or f***ing hats or something to these crowds for probably less than 10 bucks an hour and deal with groups of people from all over the area.

And a less spoken-of issue with bringing staff back in for only a few hours (e.g. one night at a concert venue) is that it can actually mess up their unemployment check. Under many (if not most or all) state guidelines, you can't collect unemployment if you turn down work. So they have to go in if they're called in, and once they get past a certain number of hours (far, far below anything approaching "full time"), they don't get any unemployment check that week (nor any of the federal add-on funds, which you only get if you collect some amount of state unemployment for that week).

Meanwhile, even "Drive In" concerts don't appear to be working. A "Chainsmokers" concert at a "drive in" ended up looking like this:

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #962 on: July 28, 2020, 01:18:01 PM »

This virus is not going away. The most positive prediction i have heard from health care professionals is another 12-18 months.
We are in for a long ride.
I'm a lifelong baseball lover, but i could care less about seeing live games right now.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #963 on: July 28, 2020, 02:25:00 PM »

Lonely Summer, I feel that way about live concerts right now. Not worth the risk... Right now, I'm not optimistic about attending the comedy show I have tix for in November.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 02:25:41 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #964 on: July 28, 2020, 05:50:28 PM »

Lonely Summer, I feel that way about live concerts right now. Not worth the risk... Right now, I'm not optimistic about attending the comedy show I have tix for in November.

Regardless of your political persuasion there will be more than enough comedy in November. We have an election ourselves in September and all kinds are coming out of the woodwork with hilarious material.  Grin
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #965 on: July 29, 2020, 04:19:33 PM »

Agreed. i'm frightened enough as it is about the prospect of going back to work. I've always had the pleasure of working with people who insist on coming to work when they're sick - even though we have a very generous sick pay/general leave to draw from.

I just can't see being crammed into a theater or arena with a couple thousand other people right now.

But maybe Mike and Bruce can do what MLB is doing now, and put cardboard faces of fans in the seats.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #966 on: July 31, 2020, 01:47:43 PM »

Aug. 13 -- Marysville, OH -- All Ohio Balloon Fest
Event cancelled

To nobody's surprise here, the Ohio Balloon Festival has apparently been postponed to 2021. Still waiting for confirmation from the event site itself, but at least one local news story (hit a paywall, so can't link) and the Balloon Fest's FB page have mentioned cancellation.

And according to another phantom local news story, M&B did play the fair in MO last night.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:50:29 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #967 on: July 31, 2020, 02:21:41 PM »

Yes, they played the Ozark Empire Fair last night.

It can't link directly, but go to the area's TV news station KY3 on Facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/ky3news/

Scroll down until you see the story, complete with the usual commentary and debates.

Strangely enough, on the main KY3 website, there was a teaser link to photos of the concert, which is still the Facebook link too. When you click on the story, there's nothing there except the Page Not Found error image. I wonder if someone took it down or ordered it taken down, related to mask-wearing, larger gatherings, distancing...who knows. But the photos are not there.

One photo is available from an attendee: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10217832331462349&set=p.10217832331462349&type=3&theater

I hope everyone stays safe and healthy who was involved in this.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #968 on: July 31, 2020, 03:06:00 PM »

It almost looks like they've got that motorcoach running and ready to take them away the moment the show is over.

It appears they're doing the "pod" seat format. Still too many people crammed in a relatively small area, whether each pod is technically six feet apart or not.

It's even weirder because overall it makes it look like it's still a pretty small show even for Mike's tour. I doubt they made much money off this gig.

I can only guess Mike *really, really* wants to be back doing shows. You can even see him in that YouTube intro a little while back for that USO show, he makes a point of noting that this is longest he's ever been stuck at home.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #969 on: July 31, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »

« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 03:18:16 PM by HeyJude » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #970 on: July 31, 2020, 03:24:55 PM »

A clip here.

https://youtu.be/P98vS884AQc

The few seconds either end showing the audience paint a pretty sad picture. I’ve seen more people at a sound check.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #971 on: July 31, 2020, 03:26:39 PM »

A clip here.

https://youtu.be/P98vS884AQc

The few seconds either end showing the audience paint a pretty sad picture. I’ve seen more people at a sound check.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #972 on: July 31, 2020, 03:28:54 PM »

I'm glad more people weren't exposed to this gathering, but when one can literally do a visual count of the entire audience (at least the "floor"; it looks like there was also a stands section at the back), it just doesn't seem worth the risk.

Charging $10 for a 30 minute live video stream of something would get more eyes and make more money.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #973 on: July 31, 2020, 03:41:08 PM »

I can't say this isn't kind of interesting in the context of the times especially.

They clearly have the load-in/load-out truck one foot away from being *on* the stage, and they have the charter bus butted up against the other side.

Get in, get out.

For like 250 people.

What a weird time.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #974 on: July 31, 2020, 04:53:25 PM »

My concern still is more for the people who attended the fair beyond this single concert.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 04:53:53 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 [39] 40 41 42 43 44 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx