gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:32:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342271 times)
Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: September 03, 2019, 08:56:43 PM »

The vocals here are labeled "rough" yet the latest videos of Brian's performance are heralded as "great"?

So predictable.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 04, 2019, 12:33:43 AM »

The vocals here are labeled "rough" yet the latest videos of Brian's performance are heralded as "great"?

So predictable.
Well, I was at the show last night, and I thought the falsetto guy sounded great! In fact, the first truly moving moment in the show for me was when he sang Don't Worry Baby. Of course, it wasn't just his vocal - it was also how perfectly the band backed him up, and just the fact that it's an amazing song, the way it modulates from one key to the next. That might be my favorite BB's song now. One thing that's always annoyed me about the record of DWB is the poor stereo mix - which was used on some of the comps back in the vinyl days, and always seemed to be the one I heard on the radio, too. The lead vocal is off alone in one channel, and the backing kind of overpowers in in that mix. The mono is so much better! Yes, you can count me a fan of mono.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 04, 2019, 04:02:52 AM »

So predictable.

Just want to clarify your point that no one labeled Brian's recent performance as "great", but that one person said the "clips" sound great - this same person is probably one of the most positive members of this forum giving credit to both Mike and Brian's band whenever they can...so it's not like the same person who labeled the vocals "rough" here was also claiming that Brian's clips were "great".

I think the closest compliment that Brian got was that he is more engaged during the recent concert. Just a few days ago there was a call for Brian to quit touring - and people almost unanimously agreed that Brian's performances have been on the weak side. Brian then seemed to turn it around and the response was fairly positive on this forum. At least from that angle, there's nothing predictable there.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 04, 2019, 08:23:56 AM »

I see M+B pretty often and always enjoy myself. I thought Rob did great as a fill-in a few weeks ago.

That being said, this isn't how you sing Surfer Girl: https://youtu.be/X3EYd7qWuiA?t=38

It's ooooh, not whoooa.

I know this sounds like the biggest nitpick of all time, but it's more Four Seasons than it is Beach Boys. I'd echo that sentiment in what I can hear of his version of Don't Worry Baby.

https://youtu.be/X3EYd7qWuiA?t=51

I'm sure they had to find him quickly and it wasn't an ideal situation, but I'm just calling it like it is.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #679 on: September 04, 2019, 08:52:38 AM »

Wow, that is a bit confusing. So now Bonfilgio is out and they have some other random guy, now on keyboards? They need three keyboardists? I always thought Totten could do a resonable falsetto.

If Bonfiglio is out to go back to Brian's band, it's weird they had Kirsch in just for two gigs with Brian? Not to mention, why wouldn't Mike just have Randell Kirsch come back and sub in again in *his* band? I guess I would normally wonder if that would be awkward if the speculation/indications were correct that Kirsch got elbowed out of the band to make room for Eichenberger back in 2015. But I recall that when Eichenberger left again a year or two after that, they had Kirsch back for at least a few gigs until they got a new bass player (which I think is still that Hubacher guy).

It's weird how Mike is now choosing to balloon his band more. It appears Hubacher rarely if ever sings, so I wonder why a couple years ago Mike chose to replace Eichenberger (who sang and played bass) with *two* members, one who sings (Christian Love) and one who doesn't (Hubacher)

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #680 on: September 04, 2019, 10:43:03 AM »

Wow, that is a bit confusing. So now Bonfilgio is out and they have some other random guy, now on keyboards? They need three keyboardists? I always thought Totten could do a resonable falsetto.

If Bonfiglio is out to go back to Brian's band, it's weird they had Kirsch in just for two gigs with Brian? Not to mention, why wouldn't Mike just have Randell Kirsch come back and sub in again in *his* band? I guess I would normally wonder if that would be awkward if the speculation/indications were correct that Kirsch got elbowed out of the band to make room for Eichenberger back in 2015. But I recall that when Eichenberger left again a year or two after that, they had Kirsch back for at least a few gigs until they got a new bass player (which I think is still that Hubacher guy).

It's weird how Mike is now choosing to balloon his band more. It appears Hubacher rarely if ever sings, so I wonder why a couple years ago Mike chose to replace Eichenberger (who sang and played bass) with *two* members, one who sings (Christian Love) and one who doesn't (Hubacher)

The most noticeable time (only time?) Hubacher seems to sing is on Getcha Back. I'm sure I saw him singing during another song last time I saw them since he was right in my eyeline, but can't recall what it was.

rschwertley
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 04, 2019, 12:36:33 PM »

For the life of me I couldn't figure out who was on the keyboards at the Puyallup show 9/2 (to Mike's direct left, with Bruce being at Mike's direct right). After some digging I figured out it was Matthew Jordan (https://matthewjordan.com/). Sounds like he did some shows with them in August, in place of Bonfiglio. Not sure if Bonfiglio is returning or if Jordan is filling in until someone else returns (Eichenberger?)
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 04, 2019, 01:07:33 PM »

... [posted in the wrong thread sorry]
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 01:08:15 PM by thelonelysea » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #683 on: September 04, 2019, 01:17:44 PM »

For the life of me I couldn't figure out who was on the keyboards at the Puyallup show 9/2 (to Mike's direct left, with Bruce being at Mike's direct right). After some digging I figured out it was Matthew Jordan (https://matthewjordan.com/). Sounds like he did some shows with them in August, in place of Bonfiglio. Not sure if Bonfiglio is returning or if Jordan is filling in until someone else returns (Eichenberger?)

Matthew Jordan worked on the Sam Hollander produced tracks from the last two Mike albums. On RFTS tracks he did backing vocals and keyboards and on 12SOS he did vocal arrangements and backing vocals.

chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 04, 2019, 01:19:16 PM »

Look you guys ive seen em all this year- Neil, Croz, Stones, Trower, Arlo, Queen, ELO, Santana.......The Beach Boys set is one of the most high energy upbeat shows which goes 1,000,000 m.p.h almost the whole way through.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #685 on: September 04, 2019, 01:35:53 PM »

Good find on that. I mean, I think I notice that the trend is that Mike seems to like to bring in younger people when he brings in new players and singers, but I'm still perplexed they're having to go so deep on the bench so to speak when any number of ex-members are surely at the ready. No calls to Adrian Baker or Randell Kirsch this time around? Or Farmer? I know they play in other bands, but all of these BB cover bands seem to function as a farm league for BB-related touring bands.

I'm curious if the bottom-line thinking Mike Love is going to, perhaps in the new year, get Eichenberger back to a full-time commitment and move him back to bass, and then he doesn't have to keep Hubacher. I'm still really surprised Mike hired on a (mostly) non-singing bass player (I remember one of the supposed/alleged justifications for letting go Meros back in 2001 after all those years was that he was not a backing singer). He essentially replaced Eichenberger a couple years ago with two guys (Hubacher and a returning Christian Love). I guess they're having some flexibility problems; they had two fully capable falsetto singers with Foskett and Kirsch/Eichenberger, then lost all of them (whether temporarily or permanently).

I'm surprised they're not having Totten take on more falsetto parts (I'm assuming he can still do them to some degree?), which would allow them to be able to fan out more to find another additional member to fill in for Foskett/Eichenberger, to where they wouldn't have to find someone who can sing high parts.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 01:37:49 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 04, 2019, 04:09:24 PM »

Guys, I think I've got this issue figured out. Brian and M+B can share a falsetto singer by, you know, joining forces as The Beach Boys.

Seems a lot less complicated. I'm surprised they've never thought of it.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 04, 2019, 06:54:21 PM »

Thank you for the link. I am officially a fan of this guy now. I thought his falsetto leads were excellent.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: September 04, 2019, 06:57:36 PM »

So predictable.

Ha ha. I’m reminded of the group 40 years ago. Mike, Carl and Al carrying the heavy load then Dennis comes out and croaks through ‘You Are So Beautiful’ to a standing O.  LOL
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: September 04, 2019, 07:20:49 PM »

Guys, I think I've got this issue figured out. Brian and M+B can share a falsetto singer by, you know, joining forces as The Beach Boys.

LOL

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: September 04, 2019, 08:18:13 PM »

LOL

And Mike already has the accompanying video all ready to go!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 08:18:48 PM by marcella27 » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #691 on: September 05, 2019, 06:35:22 AM »

It's interesting to watch Mike's band balloon in size considering his stated aversion to a larger band during C50. He noted there were too many members on stage competing for parts. This from the guy who now has three keyboardists on stage (and/or three guitarists) in addition to a non-vocalist bassist and a sax player. Plus Stamos when he shows up.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #692 on: September 05, 2019, 08:12:52 AM »

Thank you for the link. I am officially a fan of this guy now. I thought his falsetto leads were excellent.

Matt Jordan is scheduled to appear with M&B the next couple of months until Ike's return.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #693 on: September 05, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »

It's interesting to watch Mike's band balloon in size considering his stated aversion to a larger band during C50. He noted there were too many members on stage competing for parts. This from the guy who now has three keyboardists on stage (and/or three guitarists) in addition to a non-vocalist bassist and a sax player. Plus Stamos when he shows up.

Ironic and contradictory, right? Not just the C50 reasoning, but when his book came out there were people close to Mike and his book praising his financial acumen, and how he likes to run a "lean n' mean" touring operation (that's what was said...), going as far as to point out how Mike even rents his backline of amps and other assorted stage gear so they don't need to lug it around, not to mention the smaller band setup Mike was running in the years before and after C50. And I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that pointing out and praising Mike's "lean n' mean" operation and stage setup was being offered as a contrast to both C50 AND Brian's stage band with all those musicians on stage.

It's funny how things change. Wonder if ticket sales and return numbers on some recent tours had an effect on Mike's adding that many more musicians to his stage and overall crew.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 08:56:00 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #694 on: September 05, 2019, 10:10:37 AM »

Well, to be fair, Mike's band has only grown from 7 (including 2 principals) to 9. The C50 tour started with 15 guys (down to 14 when Nicky had to drop out), including 5 principals. Plus, I'm sure Mike's backline crew is still smaller than Brian's. And, as stated, Mike's band usually plays with rented gear, so right there you save a ton on transportation costs. All said, I doubt Mike's touring expenses come anywhere near Brian's, even now with the addition of two more band members.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #695 on: September 05, 2019, 11:00:17 AM »

Well, to be fair, Mike's band has only grown from 7 (including 2 principals) to 9. The C50 tour started with 15 guys (down to 14 when Nicky had to drop out), including 5 principals. Plus, I'm sure Mike's backline crew is still smaller than Brian's. And, as stated, Mike's band usually plays with rented gear, so right there you save a ton on transportation costs. All said, I doubt Mike's touring expenses come anywhere near Brian's, even now with the addition of two more band members.

In terms of rented gear, does this just mean they rent amps and a drum set for every show? Or do they rent guitars and other instruments too? I'm guessing that must be somewhat of a drag for them as musicians, having to deal with the inconsistencies of gear that may differ from show to show, even as professionals who are used to it.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: September 05, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »

Ironic and contradictory, right? Not just the C50 reasoning, but when his book came out there were people close to Mike and his book praising his financial acumen, and how he likes to run a "lean n' mean" touring operation (that's what was said...), going as far as to point out how Mike even rents his backline of amps and other assorted stage gear so they don't need to lug it around, not to mention the smaller band setup Mike was running in the years before and after C50. And I'm assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that pointing out and praising Mike's "lean n' mean" operation and stage setup was being offered as a contrast to both C50 AND Brian's stage band with all those musicians on stage.

It's funny how things change. Wonder if ticket sales and return numbers on some recent tours had an effect on Mike's adding that many more musicians to his stage and overall crew.

I really admire all of you who keep fighting this fight. (I'm not being sarcastic here) - Does it really matter anymore? I love reading the words of people like Craigand Billy who have expertise when they comment. I know others do, as well.

I don't know Mike's shows, but the videos in the clips seem to indicate that he relies on endless videos to fill in for what he doesn't sing, and the crowds love it.

Brian goes out with his band and his compositions. He sings when he feels like it, and he knows he has a great band who'll fill the gaps when he wants to just listen to what he created with the best band ever, and he could hire them easily because they've been his own for so many years. No complaints here.

Different people care about different things. Many of Mike's audiences in particular (they know the BBs' name and not much more) enjoy what he does, including his standing in front of old videos.

Brian's more audio smart followers love to hear his band, the deep cuts and hope for Brian having a good night.

What I'm curious about is, what are fans expecting?

We know their ages and their history. Al and Blondie still have their chops. Brian has perfect pitch, so when he wants to sing well, he normally does. Some less committed band members fill in for both or either bands, but they're recognized as having talent. I think people love the coherence and devotion of Brian's band to his music. That's not what Mike is about. He's made it clear that the license to the name was to be a money-maker.

We haven't had a lot of stupid lawsuits from Mike over that past few years. Maybe we should just hope for the best. I know, I know! It may be inevitable that it will get ugly again. Let's just enjoy this respite from fans being used by some to tear Brian down and saying he should retire, no matter what he wanted, by people who had something to gain. I think one of the biggest influencers isn't in the mix these day, so that probably helps.

I don't know if Brian's fans were ever influenced against Mike by people in power with Brian, but it seems unlikely.  Certainly I was never asked to tear anyone down, or to build Brian up), but I can't speak for all. If the negative types against Brian with sad little egos are still looking for a backstage pass (by attacks on Brian on the ML side, or trying to kiss up to Brian's band) are still at it, I don't think anyone is listening anymore. If they get backstage before the band gets on the bus to leave, how nice for them.

Oh dear, in my usual afterthought I just realized that some genuine friends of my own and with Brian's band may think that they are being referenced here. Definitely, not! In fact, I'm not certain I know anyone in the US who might qualify. I'm glad that these people with their own talents are always there to support the band.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 11:42:17 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #697 on: September 05, 2019, 11:40:19 AM »

In terms of rented gear, does this just mean they rent amps and a drum set for every show? Or do they rent guitars and other instruments too? I'm guessing that must be somewhat of a drag for them as musicians, having to deal with the inconsistencies of gear that may differ from show to show, even as professionals who are used to it.

From what I've heard, they rent most everything *except* the guitars (and presumably some outboard gear guys like Totten might use). And yes, depending on the musician, it would be a drag to not be able to have your own rig (at least your amp) with you.

That being said, Mike has always run a streamlined operation and I have no doubt there is a robust, well-written tour rider that dictates precisely which makes and models of amps and other gear should be included. So it's not like Totten shows up and it's some random amp. I'm sure if he wants a Fender Twin Reverb of a certain wattage or whatever, that is what's in the tour rider.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #698 on: September 05, 2019, 11:52:31 AM »

I was looking, in this instance, mainly at band size rather than overhead cost. I'm sure, even with more musicians, Mike's tour has a cheaper overhead than either Brian's tour or C50.

But, in comparing the bands, the way I look at it, on the musician side, C50 was essentially 11 (and then 10) musicians, as David Marks was the only musician contributing substantially to the musical bed at those shows. Bruce is a fine keyboard player, and Al a fine (and underrated) guitarist, and Brian is fully capable of playing great piano as well. But none of them were an integral part of the musical bed.

So Mike used to essentially have *five* backing musicians, while C50 had 9 to 11 (depending on how you count them). Mike has now upped the backing member count to *seven*. That's pretty substantial.

But in a more general sense, both in contemporaneous and later interviews (and his book), as well as speaking to folks who spoke to Mike during the tour, there was a definite sense that Mike felt the C50 band was much larger than needed, and preferred his scaled back operation. In particular, Mike only sporadically ever added a sax/woodwind player to his band post-1998/post-Richie Cannata. I think Joel Peskin was there on occasion, and perhaps someone else. But then all of a sudden, in 2016, he just full-on added Leago as a full-time sax/woodwind player. He then poached Eichenberger from Brian's band despite already having two (and arguably three) guys in his band that could do falsetto/high parts, and then when Eichenberger took off, he only brought back Randell Kirsch for a few fill-in gigs and ultimately ended up replacing Eichenberger with *two* members in Christian Love and Hubacher (Christian Love may have been back before Eichenberger left, I'm not sure).

I think the main point I'm getting at is that, much like the C50 video screen, a larger and more versatile backing band is something Mike seemed to scoff at for C50, but eventually adopted himself to some degree. I think he added Leago in 2016 in part to fill out the sound on the "Pet Sounds" tracks he was doing.

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: September 05, 2019, 12:56:47 PM »

If you look at some of the C50 videos there's about 7 guitarists - way over the top!
Although I think Al's guitar goes into the same fader as Bruce's keyboard - all at zero. Ditto Brian's occasionally-played bass.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx