gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:00:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342349 times)
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: August 20, 2019, 03:12:12 AM »

Myonlysunshine -- where DID you get that awesome Wild Honey hoodie?

A company called “3D royal tees” made and sold them for a limited time last year. Unfortunately they are not available anymore, but I’ve seen some of these hoodies pop up for sale on eBay since then. Along with Wild Honey they made hoodies in this same style using the Friends, Surf’s Up, Smiley Smile, Endless Summer, Love You, and Keepin’ the Summer Alive album artwork.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: August 20, 2019, 08:01:29 AM »

Cool pics. Looks like Rob B is in for Brian E.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: August 20, 2019, 08:10:02 AM »

A company called “3D royal tees” made and sold them for a limited time last year. Unfortunately they are not available anymore, but I’ve seen some of these hoodies pop up for sale on eBay since then. Along with Wild Honey they made hoodies in this same style using the Friends, Surf’s Up, Smiley Smile, Endless Summer, Love You, and Keepin’ the Summer Alive album artwork.

Maybe Mike Was wondering if the license fee was being paid :D
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: August 20, 2019, 08:14:07 AM »

Maybe Mike Was wondering if the license fee was being paid :D

Probably. I always assumed that was the reason they weren’t available for very long.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #629 on: August 20, 2019, 08:46:44 AM »

Based on quick googling, it kind of looks like whatever those album-themed hoodies were, they may well have not been licensed. Might be one of those outfits that churns out clothing and posters and other wears and operates mostly out of Facebook and pays for sponsored posts and all of that. I see Beatles stuff all the time that obviously isn't licensed.

What a weird era. Stuff gets pulled off YouTube and eBay all the time, yet bootleg clothing with conspicuous advertising on social media goes unchecked? Those hoodies look cool, but I'd rather BRI send their online team after *that* stuff instead of having old blurry VHS rips of the Beach Boys on the Merv Griffin Show pulled.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: August 21, 2019, 06:52:46 AM »

I saw the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys last night at the Ridgefield Playhouse Theater. This was the first time I've seen them since 2010, not counting the two C50 Mohegan Sun shows where I saw them with the reunited band. Growing up in the late 90s and early 2000s my parents took me to go see the Mike and Bruce Beach Boys a ton, but as I got older I gravitated more towards seeing Brian’s band and have pretty much stayed that way into adulthood. In a personal first for any concert experience, I decided to sign up for the VIP experience/package via Mike’s website. My main goal for the VIP experience was to have Mike and Bruce sign my Light-Up SMiLE Sessions box set since their autographs were the only ones I needed to complete it.

The VIP experience was good, but kind of odd due to the fact that the Ridgefield Playhouse Theater is a non-profit venue that mainly operates off of corporate sponsorships. I knew going in that the sponsors might alter the experience in some way. What I didn’t know was that the sponsors would be given their own private VIP experience during the ‘normal’/‘usual’ VIP time. The VIP experience was and is advertised on Mike’s website as lasting roughly an hour. Realistically this should actually manifest into something closer to a half hour of VIP time due to needing to receive VIP passes at the box office counter, Mike and Bruce needing to leave a little early in order to get ready for the show, etc. But last night the entire experience basically lasted about 10 minutes in total – the sponsors were let in to the VIP area separately from the ‘regular’ VIP group, and were then given a photo op with Mike and Bruce. For some reason, this photo op lasted about 25 minutes. I have no idea if each of the sponsors were given the chance to take separate/individual photos with Mike and Bruce, or if there was some other reason it took so long, but during that 25 minutes I and the four other people who had VIP passes had to wait outside in the concert hall until it was over.

I am not complaining – like I said, I knew going in that the sponsors would likely alter the experience in some way, shape, or form. And in some ways having a shorter meet and greet session is advantageous – it takes some of the social pressure away from the experience, which is nice. I am just pointing this out in case anyone is thinking about buying a VIP package for a venue like this, and who may be primarily interested in it for the social experience.

But the actual experience of meeting Mike and Bruce was great. Bruce signed the box set first. He asked me where I wanted him to sign it, and when I told him to sign underneath Brian’s signature, he called Brian his idol, to which I replied “mine too”. He then asked me if I own the Good Vibrations box set, and when I told him I did, he said to listen to disc 2 of that box set to hear where Brian was aiming to go with the SMiLE music. Mike then came over and added his autograph to it. He didn’t say much to me directly, but he was kind enough to also autograph my VIP Laminate, which was a nice gesture since the staff there were very explicit that Mike and Bruce would only sign one item as part of the VIP meet and greet session. So he didn’t have to do that, but he did so anyway. I really appreciated that.

After they finished autographing everyone’s items, Mike and Bruce then took photos with the VIPers. There was a young couple who got their photograph first, and then when my turn came Bruce noticed my sweatshirt and complimented me on it. He said “Where on earth did you get that? That’s fantastic!” Mike took notice of it and seemed to like it too. On the way out of the VIP meet and greet area as I was walking back to the theater, I ran into Scott Totten who also noticed the hoodie and complimented me on it, saying “now that’s dedication!”.

The show itself was great. Based this on some recent things I’ve read and on some of my previous experiences seeing Mike and Bruce back in the day, I was kind of skeptical that the show would be great, but I came away extremely impressed, so much so that I wouldn’t hesitate to see them again the next time they’re playing close by. Everyone was in good voice, but the person who impressed me the most was Bruce. His vocals were pretty weak when I last heard him sing live in 2012 and 2010, but last night his vocals were actually a highlight, maybe even the highlight of the night.

Rob was still filling in for Brian Eichenberger (who Mike mentioned is currently on paternity leave) and his vocals were much stronger this time around than when I saw him on Brian’s Christmas tour. In one of my posts in Brian’s 2018 tour thread, I complimented the sound of Rob’s voice, which to me sounds more like a young Brian Wilson than Matt Jardine’s voice does, but I criticized Rob’s falsetto for lacking power. Last night there was a lot more power behind his voice, and I thought he was fantastic. The setlist was good; they performed California Dreamin’, Good to My Baby, and You’re So Good To Me, which are three songs I wasn’t expecting them to do. On the other hand, they didn’t perform Darlin’ or Heroes and Villains. I know they don’t consistently perform Heroes and Villains in concert, but the lack of Darlin’ in the setlist was surprising. And they did perform some songs off of 12 Sides of Summer of course. The only song I thought sounded very out of place was Pisces Brothers – I know this has been discussed here before, but it really halted the momentum of the concert when it was performed. I can tell it is a very personal song for Mike, but that is the only song performed last night that I would argue should be left out of the setlist moving forward.

Here are some pictures from the concert, the VIP meet and greet, and my now fully completed/autographed Light-Up SMiLE Sessions box set:

Quick question, what time did the meet and greet start before the show? I'm supposed to have one this weekend but i'm not sure when I need to leave as i'm driving 2 hours or so?
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 21, 2019, 07:05:45 AM »

Quick question, what time did the meet and greet start before the show? I'm supposed to have one this weekend but i'm not sure when I need to leave as i'm driving 2 hours or so?

It was advertised as starting 1 hour before showtime. For the Ridgefield Playhouse Theater this meant 6 PM (the show started at 7 PM), which was also the time that the doors to the venue were opened. According to the ushers/staff there though, the actual meet and greet was supposed to start at 6:15 PM, although it ultimately got delayed even further in my case.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 21, 2019, 08:37:52 AM »

It was advertised as starting 1 hour before showtime. For the Ridgefield Playhouse Theater this meant 6 PM (the show started at 7 PM), which was also the time that the doors to the venue were opened. According to the ushers/staff there though, the actual meet and greet was supposed to start at 6:15 PM, although it ultimately got delayed even further in my case.
Great, Thanks so much!
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 23, 2019, 06:24:10 AM »

https://youtu.be/esROIwAj8Jk
Rob’s killing it!
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 23, 2019, 10:23:04 PM »

Highlight of my meet and great with Mike and Bruce tonight.... asking Bruce if he had tried the new Popeyes chicken sandwich. Actually answered saying no he hadn’t but he had read about it and was really looking forward to trying it.  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 24, 2019, 12:39:02 AM »

Rob’s killing it!

Gotta give credit to Rob (and I guess Carnie) for what seems to be gracious gesture of trying to heal the fractures within the family. For whatever grief people give Mike (some deserved and some not), I'm nonetheless glad to see any type of Wilson/Love reconciliation between the families.

To witness any deep family fracture, even as an outsider, is a very, very sad thing indeed, so I hope this means at least there's some measure of good family vibrations behind the scenes. Sort of sums up how I felt about California Saga at their few appearances too. Maybe some wounds and some interpersonal behavior can't be healed between some family members, but maybe other aspects can.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:55:25 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 24, 2019, 06:01:23 AM »

Mike made a comment when introducing Rob to the audience about how it’s good to “keep things in the family.” Which made me chuckle because that’s a very Murry Wilson thing to say, and I know from reading his autobiography that if there is one person who Mike despises above all others, it’s Murry — and rightfully so I might add.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 08:09:35 AM by myonlysunshine » Logged
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 24, 2019, 10:55:09 AM »

Mike made a comment when introducing Rob to the audience about how it’s good to “keep things in the family.” Which made me chuckle because that’s a very Murry Wilson thing to say, and I know from reading his autobiography that if there is one person who Mike despises above all others, it’s Murry — and rightfully so I might add.

HA! Wow. This guy...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 24, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »

Rob’s killing it!

So what’s happening with the video behind the group? Rob singing to a Carl lead with a young Jeff backing up? Is that another C50 type video tribute like Forever/GOKs?
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 24, 2019, 01:05:53 PM »

Rob’s killing it!

So what’s happening with the video behind the group? Rob singing to a Carl lead with a young Jeff backing up? Is that another C50 type video tribute like Forever/GOKs?
Nah, it’s just a video of them performing the song back in the 80s. Tribute to Carl I guess, but not like the C50 when they had their vocals.

Here’s the video they had running the background https://youtu.be/ARp7OMsFY2Y
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 24, 2019, 01:50:26 PM »

Thanks. So it’s Rob singing lead to a song Brian did originally, to a video of Carl, and now sung by Jeff live who is off sick. Actually pretty pointless if you ask me.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 24, 2019, 02:06:27 PM »

Highlight of my meet and great with Mike and Bruce tonight.... asking Bruce if he had tried the new Popeyes chicken sandwich. Actually answered saying no he hadn’t but he had read about it and was really looking forward to trying it.  LOL

LOL Love hearing Bruce’s take on the topics of the day

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 24, 2019, 02:14:00 PM »

Thanks. So it’s Rob singing lead to a song Brian did originally, to a video of Carl, and now sung by Jeff live who is off sick. Actually pretty pointless if you ask me.

Rob is sounding great though, I like his vocals more than Matt
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 02:14:40 PM by twentytwenty » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 24, 2019, 02:27:48 PM »

Oh his voice sounds fine. I just find the video disrespectful to all involved....most of all Rob.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 24, 2019, 03:14:31 PM »

Oh his voice sounds fine. I just find the video disrespectful to all involved....most of all Rob.
Agreed.
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: August 24, 2019, 03:37:50 PM »

Rob’s killing it!

Nah, it’s just a video of them performing the song back in the 80s. Tribute to Carl I guess, but not like the C50 when they had their vocals.

Here’s the video they had running the background https://youtu.be/ARp7OMsFY2Y

They have used that particularly video for a few years. I think the idea is when Jeff is singing it gives him some cache for how long he has been with the group, at least, that is how I always interpreted it. Now with Jeff not currently touring, it does seem rather pointless.
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: August 25, 2019, 03:20:44 AM »

I'm not convinced many people in the audience know who Carl Wilson was, either. The Beach Boys is a band to them rather than a group of individuals
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: August 25, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »

I'm not convinced many people in the audience know who Carl Wilson was, either. The Beach Boys is a band to them rather than a group of individuals

And you would be correct. This is one of the biggest oddities that struck me at the concert last week. While I was waiting for the VIP experience to start I overheard so many people in the audience basically admit in one form or another that they had very little idea who the original Beach Boys were (one couple said they thought only 3 people founded the band, and no, they weren't referring to how many founding members are still alive or how many of them are in the current band either). And during intermission, a very nice elderly gentleman who was sitting next to me admitted that he had no idea which of the band members who were performing on stage were the "originals", which was the most surprising thing I heard all night (he claimed to be a longtime fan, and based on other things he said to me I believe him).
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 08:23:43 AM by myonlysunshine » Logged
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: August 25, 2019, 09:36:03 AM »

And you would be correct. This is one of the biggest oddities that struck me at the concert last week. While I was waiting for the VIP experience to start I overheard so many people in the audience basically admit in one form or another that they had very little idea who the original Beach Boys were (one couple said they thought only 3 people founded the band, and no, they weren't referring to how many founding members are still alive or how many of them are in the current band either). And during intermission, a very nice elderly gentleman who was sitting next to me admitted that he had no idea which of the band members who were performing on stage were the "originals", which was the most surprising thing I heard all night (he claimed to be a longtime fan, and based on other things he said to me I believe him).

Well, you can be a fan of the music and listen to it for years without knowing anything about the members names or whatever.. Not everybody cares about that stuff
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: August 25, 2019, 09:43:50 AM »

Well, you can be a fan of the music and listen to it for years without knowing anything about the members names or whatever.. Not everybody cares about that stuff

True, but to go decades without acquiring even a little bit of knowledge about the band's lineup is still surprising to me. One would think somewhere along the way of one's longtime fandom that a person might inadvertently find out who Mike Love is, but I guess that's not always the case.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:31:32 AM by myonlysunshine » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx