gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:05:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 340269 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: August 26, 2018, 10:04:23 PM »

Usually, judging , say, a Youtube video or a mobile phone capture is unkind to the performer. But this is a well shot, close up clear film and records a song which does not merit the cost of filming. I have never seen ML struggle so. And , blind to the quality level drop it gives the act, when he is licensed to do HUNDREDS of well written tunes on which he used to excel.
Mike needs to give up on promoting his new material; he should take a cue from his famous cousin, just do the oldies, that's all we want to hear.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #376 on: August 27, 2018, 09:06:21 AM »

Call it my OCD or whatever, but it is odd to me to see someone wearing their own tribute shirt, in this case every time Mike looked down at his hands he'd see his own image staring up at him on those rolled-up sleeves. I don't know...if it's done as humor that's one thing, but the word narcissism comes to mind just the same.

The 80's 90's TV teen band comparison "hey kids, let's put on our own show..." kind of scene is spot-on.  Grin  It seems every teen sitcom or show had an episode where the "kids" decide to form a band, and the resulting music did sound a lot like this. I was thinking too the old Super Bowl halftime shows before major artists started getting the bookings. Up With People, etc.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: August 27, 2018, 11:40:11 PM »

Call it my OCD or whatever, but it is odd to me to see someone wearing their own tribute shirt, in this case every time Mike looked down at his hands he'd see his own image staring up at him on those rolled-up sleeves. I don't know...if it's done as humor that's one thing, but the word narcissism comes to mind just the same.

The 80's 90's TV teen band comparison "hey kids, let's put on our own show..." kind of scene is spot-on.  Grin  It seems every teen sitcom or show had an episode where the "kids" decide to form a band, and the resulting music did sound a lot like this. I was thinking too the old Super Bowl halftime shows before major artists started getting the bookings. Up With People, etc.
Full House had an episode like that. Stephanie starts a band with a couple friends, and they play Ace of Base's hit "The Sign". And not a single Beach Boy in sight.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: August 28, 2018, 05:09:10 AM »

Review of their MN State Fair show last night. Not much love for Love solo material or Stamos’s Forever.

http://www.startribune.com/beach-boys-and-righteous-brothers-thrill-crowds-at-state-fair/491859921/

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #379 on: August 28, 2018, 07:19:13 AM »

Review of their MN State Fair show last night. Not much love for Love solo material or Stamos’s Forever.

http://www.startribune.com/beach-boys-and-righteous-brothers-thrill-crowds-at-state-fair/491859921/

Love indulged in a few songs from his 2017 solo album, including the forgettable “All the Love in Paris” and “Unleashed Love.”

...Apparently, forgettable enough that the reviewer can't remember the name of the song!   LOL

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: August 30, 2018, 12:09:54 AM »

Love indulged in a few songs from his 2017 solo album, including the forgettable “All the Love in Paris” and “Unleashed Love.”

...Apparently, forgettable enough that the reviewer can't remember the name of the song!   LOL

LOL
Well, the critic had to show how hip he is by dissing ML solo material. It's in the rock critics code of laws, section 3, paragraph 409.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #381 on: August 30, 2018, 07:01:43 AM »

I'd actually say that both Mike's album, as well as his tours in general, get off pretty easy as far as critics go.

Most pieces on both his album when it came out, and his tours/shows in general, get pretty puff-piece-ish reviews.

I don't recall vast swaths of (deserved) bad reviews for "Unleash" last year.

And the pieces on his tours usually consist of the local paper doing a total puff piece prior to the show (to promote it), featuring the same old "why are you so awesome and hard working?" type of questions, and when actual reviews of his shows come out, they usually ignore or don't heavily weigh or criticize the lack of original (still living) band members on stage, or the ratio of backing band members singing leads, etc.

Mike's show is, musically speaking, usually pretty tight and professional. Most criticisms would tend to be concerning the use of the name, the lack of other living members on stage, the number of non-Beach Boys singing leads, etc. So when shows ignore that and just focus on the quality of the singing and playing, the shows deservedly don't get many poor reviews.

Mike's solo stuff has always been the low point of his shows; if he wasn't touring using the "Beach Boys" name, I'd actually probably give him a tiny bit of props for having the motivation to *continue* to make the audience listen to "Pisces Brothers" after numerous years, and to listen to 3 or 4 songs from "Unleash" almost a year after it came out. It's ironic that Mike has been more stubborn about continuing to play stuff from his "new" album than the Beach Boys were back in the 80s and 90s concerning new albums, where usually most songs from a new album would be gone from the setlist in less than a year. They were doing 4-5 songs from BB '85 for instance, but within a few months it was down to just "Getcha Back."

Back to "Unleash"; it deserved *more* poor reviews. It probably benefitted from simply a lack of much attention from the rock press. I'd say any of "Looking Back With Love", "Summer in Paradise", and certainly the 2004 circulating collection of Mike's music, are all much better than "Unleash."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: August 30, 2018, 07:24:53 AM »

I don't recall vast swaths of (deserved) bad reviews for "Unleash" last year.
Back to "Unleash"; it deserved *more* poor reviews. It probably benefitted from simply a lack of much attention from the rock press. I'd say any of "Looking Back With Love", "Summer in Paradise", and certainly the 2004 circulating collection of Mike's music, are all much better than "Unleash."

I think it was mostly ignored, as you say in that latter part of what I quoted. It’s not as if much/any relevant music press liked the piece of sh*t. It was (rightly) ignored as just another irrelevant release.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 04, 2018, 07:58:45 AM »

Mike and Bruce will bring the "reason for the season" to the Strathmore in MD on 12/10...Monday night, with an hour drive down, work the next day...and for what? Might wait until the tour kicks off to see what this is all about and consider a ticket then.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 06, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »

Longer piece
https://www.newjerseystage.com/articles/2018/08/31/unleash-the-love-the-beach-boys-live-at-the-great-auditorium/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 17, 2018, 06:12:22 PM »

Definitely a "no" on the Strathmore for me...they'll be in Baltimore Sunday 12/2 for a 6pm show...still waiting to see what the Christmas show actually looks like...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 17, 2018, 06:23:35 PM »

Why torture yourself? Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 17, 2018, 06:30:45 PM »

w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 17, 2018, 06:42:29 PM »

Like I said, I'll wait and see what the tour actually entails. A big part of me simply doesn't want to put any more money into Bruce Johnston's pocket after the unsolicited verbal abuse I received in Ocean City last year. However, I'd love to finally hear the Christmas tracks live, and Brian's Christmas tour isn't coming close enough.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: September 17, 2018, 07:11:17 PM »

There is only vocal harmony with the BW band... Cool

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #390 on: September 17, 2018, 09:02:31 PM »

I attended the Mt. Winery show lastnight in the SF Bay area. The crowd was very much into the classics, but rather motionless and with minimal applause for his (Love's) new solo work. I went with a group of casual fans all of which thought the new songs were pretty weak. I thought they were awful. All The Love in Paris being the best out of the three...but still meh.

How many damn songs will he write that includes his last name in the title? Does he think we all believe he's really clever? Does he not realize how lame that is? Again, a group of casual fans I was with (who supplied me with a free ticket) all leaned over and whispered to me...how lame. I can only imagine what Dennis would think.

"All the Love in Paris", "Unleash the Love", and on the way into the venue they were playing random Beach Boy and Mike Love songs, one of which seemed to have the title "Make Love Not War"....I wouldn't know as I wouldn't buy the album.

BTW, it seems very shady to plug your solo album and play three tracks at a show billed as the Beach Boys. Totten's and Cowsil's playing/singing were the highlights lastnight....

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 17, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »

There is only vocal harmony with the BW band... Cool

Which I'm delighted to hear at The Kennedy Center on November 5th again. Why are you on this thread if that's all you have to contribute?
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 17, 2018, 10:20:31 PM »

Like I said, I'll wait and see what the tour actually entails. A big part of me simply doesn't want to put any more money into Bruce Johnston's pocket after the unsolicited verbal abuse I received in Ocean City last year. However, I'd love to finally hear the Christmas tracks live, and Brian's Christmas tour isn't coming close enough.

So I'm not the only one who has reported unsolicited verbal abuse from BJ.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2018, 12:02:05 AM »

I attended the Mt. Winery show lastnight in the SF Bay area. The crowd was very much into the classics, but rather motionless and with minimal applause for his (Love's) new solo work. I went with a group of casual fans all of which thought the new songs were pretty weak. I thought they were awful. All The Love in Paris being the best out of the three...but still meh.

How many damn songs will he write that includes his last name in the title? Does he think we all believe he's really clever? Does he not realize how lame that is? Again, a group of casual fans I was with (who supplied me with a free ticket) all leaned over and whispered to me...how lame. I can only imagine what Dennis would think.

"All the Love in Paris", "Unleash the Love", and on the way into the venue they were playing random Beach Boy and Mike Love songs, one of which seemed to have the title "Make Love Not War"....I wouldn't know as I wouldn't buy the album.

BTW, it seems very shady to plug your solo album and play three tracks at a show billed as the Beach Boys. Totten's and Cowsil's playing/singing were the highlights lastnight....

Okay, i'll accept that; and Brian and Al and Blondie shouldn't be doing Beach Boys songs in a concert advertised as a Brian Wilson show.
Bring on Melt Away, There's So Many, Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight, Let's Go to Heaven in My Car, Orange Crate Art, San Francisco, Palm Tree and Moon, Where Has Love Been, Lay Down Burden, ...well, you get the idea.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: September 18, 2018, 12:26:47 AM »

There was a report of it here at the Woodlands Tx c50 show too.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 18, 2018, 04:05:27 AM »

There was a report of it here at the Woodlands Tx c50 show too.

It was the most bizarre interaction with a "celebrity" (if you want to call him that) I have ever encountered. He went out of his way to make a problem.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: September 18, 2018, 06:26:25 AM »

Okay, i'll accept that; and Brian and Al and Blondie shouldn't be doing Beach Boys songs in a concert advertised as a Brian Wilson show.
Bring on Melt Away, There's So Many, Meet Me in My Dreams Tonight, Let's Go to Heaven in My Car, Orange Crate Art, San Francisco, Palm Tree and Moon, Where Has Love Been, Lay Down Burden, ...well, you get the idea.

I don't understand why people occasionally draw this comparison. Mike's tour and Brian's tour are not the same logistically or in terms of billing/licensing set up.

Brian doesn't license the use of the name "Brian Wilson", whereas BRI lets Mike use the "Beach Boys" name for a specified fee. Mike is using a name he doesn't solely own to plug his solo stuff, whereas Brian is using his own name.

So long as Mike tours under a BAND name, one he is only LICENSING, and Brian tours under his OWN name, the two tours will not be entirely comparable.

Now, obviously, any band can perform any songs they want on stage. Both Mike and Brian can perform nothing but REO Speedwagon and Eminem songs if they want.

But let's not pretend that Mike paying to license use of the "Beach Boys" name while plugging his NEW solo material is the "same" as Brian performing Beach Boys songs at his shows. Not only does Mike plug his solo material under a licensed "Beach Boys" banner, but also blurs the line (in my opinion) between what is "solo" and what is "Beach Boys" material.

Not to mention, Brian mostly only performs songs he wrote or co-wrote (there are occasional exceptions), while Mike performs a slew of songs he had no hand in writing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 18, 2018, 06:38:12 AM »

Now, obviously, any band can perform any songs they want on stage. Both Mike and Brian can perform nothing but REO Speedwagon and Eminem songs if they want.

Brian can. Mike can't. Either Mike would lose the license or BRI would lose the trademark.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: September 18, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »

But you've had other good interactions with Bruce, yeah? He's probably undiagnosed bipolar, but whatever. He's been more than nice to me several times, and one time he was a bit prickly. He's really the one Beach Boy you can delve into rare album tracks and session work, and he'll talk to you about it! You wanna meet these guys, that's the risk you take. He's in his mid 70s and travels around in a bus 200 days out of the year, and people are always wanting to talk to him. You'd probably be a grump sometimes, too.

Your postings in regard to the BB band on this board were really positive pre-Bruce brushing you off on his way to the tour bus after a show. Ever since that experience, you seem sour on them. I get it, but there's not enough time for that. Pretty soon, you'll be able to see NO original Beach Boys. There will be cover bands touring the country, and that's the only way you'll be able to hear this music live.

Do yourself a favor - go see Brian as many times as is feasible, go see Mike/Bruce as many times as is feasible. Once they're gone, they're gone. You'll be sad and you'll be sorry. Go make a new memory with Bruce if you can.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 18, 2018, 07:32:00 AM »

Guitarfool - since you asked elsewhere - postings like these that are allowed is the reason I no longer am a regular contributor to this board.

I am all for meaningful discussion of The Beach Boys - and understand some will not like the Mike/Bruce band no matter how talented they are or how much they've stepped up their game since the 'Duke of Earl' days - but what's the point of allowing them to be bashed them without substance?

If there were posts where one contributor said "BRIAN'S OLD!" and the next contributor said "YEAH! BOO BRIAN!", you'd be pissed and probably least give them a warning.

Saying Mike Love's new album is bad because it's loaded with autotune and full of remakes is one thing (which is something I would agree with completely) but numerous postings by the two above being allowed makes this place seem like a biased community where it's OK to sh*t on Mike and Bruce just because, and I don't think that's right.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 07:37:37 AM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx