gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:20:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 340495 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: August 20, 2018, 07:34:24 AM »

And on the last thing, also dead on. Brian's show has shifted from a showcase of Brian's best songwriting to a showcase of Beach Boys hits.

While Brian's setlist hasn't changed a great deal in the last couple years, I'd hardly call it a "hits" set. Beyond including all of "Pet Sounds" at many shows (from which most songs are most assuredly not "hits"), the show has included a number of songs that aren't hits and weren't regulars for decades in BB setlists, such as Little Honda, Salt Lake City, Wake the World, Add Some Music to Your Day, California Saga: California, Feel Flows, Wild Honey. If we go back to the last 3 or so years, we can also include songs like Cotton Fields, Then I Kissed Her, Honkin' Down the Highway, Susie Cincinnati, She Knows Me Too Well, Hushabye, This Whole World, Surf's Up, Busy Doin' Nothin', Girl Don't Tell Me, Drive In, as well as "No Pier Pressure" songs, and that's not touching on the more rare tracks only performed once or a few times like "I'm Broke", etc.

Characterizing the nature of a given Brian Wilson setlist requires a great deal of historical perspective rather than simply what one individual feels are "hits" or "well known" songs. If one wants to argue the setlist has been pretty stagnant for the last couple of years, and to some degree for the last 3-4, I can't disagree with that.

But in terms of an overall historical/setlist perspective, Brian still does a good amount of relative "deep cuts."

Maybe some folks don't remember 1990s Beach Boys setlists, which got VERY stale at various points. Remember how *mind-blowing* that late 1993 "Boxed Set" setlist was?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #351 on: August 20, 2018, 07:38:32 AM »

It does indeed look like first Randell Kirsch and then Eichenburger have filled in for Foskett. Seems kind of spur of the moment to require two different replacements and have them playing Foskett's guitars if in fact this was something planned for quite some time. But in any event, it's sounding like it's a short-term thing.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: August 20, 2018, 08:49:38 AM »

Good Vibes continue

http://www.sungazette.com/news/top-news/2018/08/the-beach-boys-attract-diverse-crowd-at-series/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #353 on: August 20, 2018, 11:51:03 AM »

I realize it was an *after* game gig, but one can't help compare playing an emptying out little league park to playing major league baseball stadiums in the 80s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Hd9OI9qGY

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: August 20, 2018, 12:46:11 PM »

"If I told them once I've told them a hundred times, to put Spinal Tap first and puppet show last!"

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 12:51:08 PM by MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm » Logged
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: August 20, 2018, 01:07:04 PM »

Not a great look and some odd set list choices for that type of show . The Mike solo track absolutely died a slow death and what a weird one to have his daughter sing WOTS
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #356 on: August 21, 2018, 11:41:26 AM »

Here's another video. It starts at 7 mins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCXlgIXVblc

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: August 21, 2018, 11:45:53 AM »

I realize that is just one camera perspective and not optimal quality in audio either, but that was pathetic. Hardly anyone there and zero energy from the crowd whatsoever. All the lead vocals were rough from all the "loves" that afternoon...band seemed tight as usual, but lead vox were falling mad flat all across the board.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: August 21, 2018, 12:17:30 PM »

I realize that is just one camera perspective and not optimal quality in audio either, but that was pathetic. Hardly anyone there and zero energy from the crowd whatsoever. All the lead vocals were rough from all the "loves" that afternoon...band seemed tight as usual, but lead vox were falling mad flat all across the board.

Ya gotta luHv it. myKe luHv and his band of unknowns (otherwise known as the fake Beach Boys) playing for a rather thin crowd to begin with. Even with them entertaining(?) after the game, they couldn't produce a larger crown than that? Huh? The LL game itself was far more entertaining and the miniature audience looked bored as hell. Just goes to show what the luHvster will do for the old buckaroo. I'm waiting for the day when this is the only type of gig they can get. LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: August 21, 2018, 12:20:32 PM »

"If I told them once I've told them a hundred times, to put Spinal Tap first and puppet show last!"

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: August 21, 2018, 05:24:24 PM »

Ambha Love's voice just not my cup of tea. It's not that she sings badly, I don;t know exactly what it is, she always sounds like she's straining. Nails on a blackboard to me.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: August 21, 2018, 05:31:01 PM »

Agree, Tony S. That said, she was cute in "Santa Goes To Kokomo". Fun seasonal remake.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #362 on: August 21, 2018, 10:04:53 PM »

Who thought booking that gig was a good idea?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: August 21, 2018, 11:12:49 PM »

Probably the person working for Mike who thinks to himself "what can I do to get those bunch of haters over at Smiley Smile going at it again?"
BTW, these "fake Beach Boys" are licensed to perform under that name by...you know it...the real Beach Boys themselves.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #364 on: August 22, 2018, 07:03:53 AM »

Probably the person working for Mike who thinks to himself "what can I do to get those bunch of haters over at Smiley Smile going at it again?"
BTW, these "fake Beach Boys" are licensed to perform under that name by...you know it...the real Beach Boys themselves.

Mike's band is licensed by BRI, which is Brian, Al, Mike, and Carl's estate. Not by any measure quite the same thing as "the real Beach Boys themselves."

The license, as far as we've been told, came from one vote back in 1998/99, a vote that most likely was *not* unanimous, and did not involve non-corporate BB members nor, of course, deceased members.

Nobody at this stage, on this board anyway, seems to *not* understand that Mike's band is licensed by BRI.

That being said, even a cursory understanding/familiarity with the band's history and their comments over the years would tell one that "complicated" would be the best way to describe the other corporate members' attitude towards the license. "Ambivalent at best" would be how I would describe it. I won't go into all the details that I've gone into a thousand times before, but at this stage Mike and "the license" sort of have a common-law marriage that cannot be easily broken by any outsider, and that doesn't have, in 2018, anybody seemingly interested in doing so. Not wanting to pay lawyers thousands if not millions to take a decade to litigate the license issue is far from a unanimous, effervescent endorsement of Mike having the license.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: August 22, 2018, 04:21:00 PM »

The license has nothing to do with it. That gig was a disaster
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #366 on: August 23, 2018, 06:48:31 AM »

A pro-shot (from the ESPN feed?) segment featuring "Unleash the Love" was posted in the "pro-shot" thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4u-I1Mln2c

Keeping in mind that I'm well aware that Brian and Al have biffed lyrics many times over the years, it's weird and kind of ironic that Mike totally blanks on the words to the *title track* to his *own* solo album in this clip.

Apparently, while even some quite positive reviews of his shows have noted the unremarkable nature of the new solo tracks he performs in concerts, the song appears to be unremarkable enough to Mike himself that he blanked on the words to the title track to his solo album even though he's been performing the song live at most of his concerts for about a year now.

I was also surprised to see a weird attempt to corral many of the small crowd to, for some inexplicable reason, form a big "UNLEASH THE LOVE" sign.

In other news, I believe Foskett is back from his hiatus.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: August 23, 2018, 10:20:45 PM »

A pro-shot (from the ESPN feed?) segment featuring "Unleash the Love" was posted in the "pro-shot" thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4u-I1Mln2c

Keeping in mind that I'm well aware that Brian and Al have biffed lyrics many times over the years, it's weird and kind of ironic that Mike totally blanks on the words to the *title track* to his *own* solo album in this clip.

Apparently, while even some quite positive reviews of his shows have noted the unremarkable nature of the new solo tracks he performs in concerts, the song appears to be unremarkable enough to Mike himself that he blanked on the words to the title track to his solo album even though he's been performing the song live at most of his concerts for about a year now.

I was also surprised to see a weird attempt to corral many of the small crowd to, for some inexplicable reason, form a big "UNLEASH THE LOVE" sign.

In other news, I believe Foskett is back from his hiatus.
Yeah, what a loser Mike Love is! Still trying to push that terrible autotuned album that nobody bought! He can't even remember the lyrics to his own lame songs! He should just stick to songs about surfing, cars, and girls.  Evil
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: August 24, 2018, 03:32:40 PM »

Got notice today - Beach Boys in Lafayette, LA, Wed October 3.

Might consider going. Biloxi is closer but a lot more expensive .

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: August 25, 2018, 04:38:00 AM »

What a complete embarrassment that video was. Not only is it a bad song it's a bad performance.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: August 25, 2018, 08:09:16 AM »

More December dates for Mike and Bruce:
Dec. 4 -- Greenburg, PA -- Palace Theatre
Dec. 13 -- Wilmington, DE -- The Grand
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: August 25, 2018, 07:57:21 PM »

What a complete embarrassment that video was. Not only is it a bad song it's a bad performance.
So maybe what we should do is, contact any potential venues Mike might be talking to, and show them this video. "You want to book the Beach Boys? This is what they look and sound like in 2018!"  LOL
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: August 25, 2018, 08:04:04 PM »

Mike is struggling... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #373 on: August 26, 2018, 12:45:23 AM »

Man that Unleash the Love song is so poor. Reminds of something the band in one of those kids programs from the eighties like saved by the bell or california dreams would come up with.

Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: August 26, 2018, 02:12:31 AM »

Usually, judging , say, a Youtube video or a mobile phone capture is unkind to the performer. But this is a well shot, close up clear film and records a song which does not merit the cost of filming. I have never seen ML struggle so. And , blind to the quality level drop it gives the act, when he is licensed to do HUNDREDS of well written tunes on which he used to excel.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx