gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:51:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342262 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 13, 2018, 11:36:09 AM »

Going by Mike's own logic, I fail to see the reasoning behind having Christian Love, Scott Totten, and Jeffrey Foskett. UNLESS, one of them were to transition to bass...but I can't really see any of them doing that.

Yes, assuming Kirsch is truly temporary, then they'll need to either have one of those guitarist switch over to bass, or hire in another bass player.

The only member of those three that we've really ever seen play any bass on stage is Totten, who played bass for at least one tune ("Pet Sounds") during C50. But I don't particularly envision any of those guys taking over on bass. I suppose one scenario would be Christian Love taking some time (hence having Kirsch back temporarily) to learn the bass parts.

What seems odd is to not simply have Kirsch back full-time (which would be tremendously easier, he can sing and play bass and was with the band for over a decade), because it probably isn't super easy to find someone who can sing in the harmony stack well and also play bass. Which may explain why they brought Christian Love back to fill out the mid-range (with Foskett and Totten now exclusively doing the higher parts), and Kirsch in to handle bass. But Kirsch is also singing I'm guessing.

All of this is also odd considering Mike's bottom-line emphasis in terms of overheard costs. *That* aspect would strongly suggest he's going to have one of those guitarists switch over to bass.

That seems like its the most likely option (moving Christian to bass) because of Mike's complaints over costs and the size of the C50 band. I don't think Foskett can play bass, so we can count that one out. And I don't know if moving Scott Totten to bass would be the best option. He is a great lead guitarist and that would hurt the band; moving him to lead guitar would require moving Foskett to lead guitar and I don't think Foskett plays lead anymore (the last time I'm guessing he did this was around 1990.

While it's not quite as easy as just telling a guitarist to switch over to bass, I would imagine both Totten and Foskett *could* play bass if they wanted to, especially after taking some time to fully learn all the nuanced parts. Similarly, I think Foskett could play all the leads (he used to do leads in the 80s, and sometimes in Brian's band). So they all have the ability to move around. But my guess would be neither Foskett nor Totten would want to switch over full-time to bass. So that leaves us indeed at a best guess of either Christian Love taking time to learn the parts, or hiring in someone else. If they keep Christian Love in the band but also hire in a new bass player, then they would probably be able to cast a wider net and find someone who plays bass but doesn't need sing. But then that gets us back to wondering why, if he doesn't need to reduce the size of the band, he doesn't just keep Kirsch in then.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 13, 2018, 03:20:55 PM »

Going by Mike's own logic, I fail to see the reasoning behind having Christian Love, Scott Totten, and Jeffrey Foskett. UNLESS, one of them were to transition to bass...but I can't really see any of them doing that.

Yes, assuming Kirsch is truly temporary, then they'll need to either have one of those guitarist switch over to bass, or hire in another bass player.

The only member of those three that we've really ever seen play any bass on stage is Totten, who played bass for at least one tune ("Pet Sounds") during C50. But I don't particularly envision any of those guys taking over on bass. I suppose one scenario would be Christian Love taking some time (hence having Kirsch back temporarily) to learn the bass parts.

What seems odd is to not simply have Kirsch back full-time (which would be tremendously easier, he can sing and play bass and was with the band for over a decade), because it probably isn't super easy to find someone who can sing in the harmony stack well and also play bass. Which may explain why they brought Christian Love back to fill out the mid-range (with Foskett and Totten now exclusively doing the higher parts), and Kirsch in to handle bass. But Kirsch is also singing I'm guessing.

All of this is also odd considering Mike's bottom-line emphasis in terms of overheard costs. *That* aspect would strongly suggest he's going to have one of those guitarists switch over to bass.

That seems like its the most likely option (moving Christian to bass) because of Mike's complaints over costs and the size of the C50 band. I don't think Foskett can play bass, so we can count that one out. And I don't know if moving Scott Totten to bass would be the best option. He is a great lead guitarist and that would hurt the band; moving him to lead guitar would require moving Foskett to lead guitar and I don't think Foskett plays lead anymore (the last time I'm guessing he did this was around 1990.

While it's not quite as easy as just telling a guitarist to switch over to bass, I would imagine both Totten and Foskett *could* play bass if they wanted to, especially after taking some time to fully learn all the nuanced parts. Similarly, I think Foskett could play all the leads (he used to do leads in the 80s, and sometimes in Brian's band). So they all have the ability to move around. But my guess would be neither Foskett nor Totten would want to switch over full-time to bass. So that leaves us indeed at a best guess of either Christian Love taking time to learn the parts, or hiring in someone else. If they keep Christian Love in the band but also hire in a new bass player, then they would probably be able to cast a wider net and find someone who plays bass but doesn't need sing. But then that gets us back to wondering why, if he doesn't need to reduce the size of the band, he doesn't just keep Kirsch in then.

Of course. They probably could both play bass.  I've heard Foskett play lead in the 80's on YouTube (I wasn't around then), and I love his solo on, I think, their live version of GTO).  I just don't see Foskett wanting to play lead or bass.  Didn't know he occasionally played lead with Brian.  Also, not saying that Foskett wouldn't be able to play bass, but it would hurt the band because he's such a good lead guitarist. 

Yeah, the question is does Mike want to keep the band that big, knowing his past statements/concerns?  If he does, keeping Kirsch would be easier, if both he and Mike are up for it.  But I wonder if Kirsch would even want to saying Mike canned him for Eichenberger (correct me if I'm wrong), and people speculated back then it was done on purpose to hurt Brian by hiring his newest falsetto singer/bass player.
Wiggy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 13, 2018, 05:27:34 PM »

Umm, didn’t Bruce play bass live (admittedly a long time ago)? It’s not like he contributes a huge amount on keyboards...
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 13, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »

Umm, didn’t Bruce play bass live (admittedly a long time ago)? It’s not like he contributes a huge amount on keyboards...

Bruce wore a bass on stage on many occasions...and on more than one, he even plucked it a few times!

But seriously...his instrumental contributions onstage have been non-existent since the early 70's. He clearly doesn't care about it anymore. He's a damn fine pianist...it will forever be mystifying.
Wiggy
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 13, 2018, 05:52:43 PM »

Bruce wore a bass on stage on many occasions...and on more than one, he even plucked it a few times!

But seriously...his instrumental contributions onstage have been non-existent since the early 70's. He clearly doesn't care about it anymore. He's a damn fine pianist...it will forever be mystifying.

I agree totally. Could say the same about his songwriting too (he has a Grammy, apparently  Smiley )
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 13, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »

Maybe Brian E will be back sooner rather than later so Kirsch is just filling in for him.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 13, 2018, 07:33:17 PM »

Maybe Brian E will be back sooner rather than later so Kirsch is just filling in for him.

He left the road because him and his wife are expecting a child. I wouldn't expect him back anytime soon. Odds are Mike will be dead by the time the kid is grown...if we're being blunt...
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:10 AM »

The UPAC Facebook (which is close to me) made a post saying "Often called America's first rock band."  LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2018, 09:10:26 AM »

I don't think Mike would go to the trouble of announcing a backing band member's departure if that member was just taking  a leave of absence for a few months.

I know Mike being super active on Facebook, etc. is something that has only occurred in the last five or so years, so I can't even recall if he announced Christian Love's departure when Foskett joined in 2014. I believe Mike did announce Foskett joining, but weirdly I don't recall him "announcing" Christian's departure.

Someone posted here back around that time that Christian's departure was not necessarily the most harmonious. Couple that with Kirsch seemingly being canned in order to bring Eichenberger on board (although at least Kirsch got a polite announcement of his departure, followed within minutes or hours by the announcement that Eichenberger had joined), and it's certainly interesting that both Christian and Randell are back in any capacity.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: March 17, 2018, 11:00:35 PM »

Whoever the new bassist is, he started tonight. I saw pictures on a Facebook post. I know that Randell is back playing with his old band with Bobby Figueroa, Ed Carter and Probyn Gregory this upcoming week.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2018, 04:59:45 AM »

Anyone have a setlist for last night's Kingston show? Just curious.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2018, 09:02:13 AM »

Anyone have a setlist for last night's Kingston show? Just curious.

Setlist.fm is down, so I can't help you  Sad
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2018, 01:19:07 PM »

Here’s the set from a friend over at B.B. Britain

Surfin' Safari
Catch a Wave
Little Honda
Do It Again
Surfin' U.S.A.
Surfer Girl
Getcha Back
Good to My Baby
You're So Good to Me
Dance, Dance, Dance
In My Room
All the Love in Paris
Darlin'
Why Do Fools Fall in Love
When I Grow Up (to Be a Man)
Be True to Your School
Ballad of Ole' Betsy
Don't Worry Baby
Little Deuce Coupe
Shut Down
I Get Around
*INTERMISSION*
California Dreamin'
Sloop John B
Wouldn't It Be Nice
California Girls
Disney Girls
God Only Knows
Pisces
Cool Head
Unleash the Love
Do You Wanna Dance?
Help Me, Rhonda
Kokomo
Good Vibrations

Barbara Ann
Fun, Fun, Fun

Based on his review it seems the new bass players name is Keith. Also the set on my opinion is getting stale they’ve been playing the same songs for 2-3 years now they don’t even swap a couple out show to show, maybe it’s because of the new bass player
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:22:43 PM by baseball95 » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2018, 03:47:19 PM »

That's a damn good setlist in my opinion. Pretty standard for a M&B show, but with songs like In My Room and Betsy, I can't complain.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2018, 04:00:52 PM »

I can’t help but notice more Mike solo songs than ‘67-80 BBs songs (and that’s including the less-than-authentic Do It Again in the BBs category).

Every wave is new until it breaks.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2018, 07:08:58 PM »

That's the standard with a couple semi-non-standards thrown in...You're SO Good To Me, Good To My Baby, and In My Room...but even those three are "regular irregular" songs.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2018, 08:07:01 PM »

Early BBs songs are solo songs to Mike the egomaniac....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2018, 05:47:36 AM »

That's a damn good setlist in my opinion. Pretty standard for a M&B show, but with songs like In My Room and Betsy, I can't complain.

I think it's a good setlist for anyone who hasn't seen Mike's band in concert.   
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2018, 06:14:27 AM »

Agreed that’s more what i meant. I’ve seen them enough where aside from Aren’t You Glad and All I Wanna Do which I’ve seen in the last few years live there really isn’t anything here making me want to spend my money and see them again. Which isn’t a criticism just how i feel, on the opposite side Brian is always incorporating a surprise or two every time i see him.
KDS
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2018, 06:31:42 AM »

Agreed that’s more what i meant. I’ve seen them enough where aside from Aren’t You Glad and All I Wanna Do which I’ve seen in the last few years live there really isn’t anything here making me want to spend my money and see them again. Which isn’t a criticism just how i feel, on the opposite side Brian is always incorporating a surprise or two every time i see him.

My 2018 BB budget is being spent on Al.   Mike's setlists are pretty meat and potatoes.   He changes a few songs, but I'm not paying money to see Brian do Pet Sounds again.   Maybe next year if he brings a different theme to my neck of the woods. 
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 21, 2018, 05:44:23 AM »

I would have loved to have seen Al's show, but Easter Sunday in my area just didn't work. No real desire to see Mike's BB show; haven't seen them since Carl passed, other than twice on the 50th reunion tour. And as for Brian, as much as I love him and his band's performances, I'm done with the whole Pet Sounds tour. I've seen several shows already, and I think Brian's performance over the course of the last tour really went down hill a bit, with his speaking the songs of Pet Sounds rather than singing them lounge lizard style. Just really lacking.....I'd really rather just see the Greatest Hits show frankly.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 21, 2018, 01:03:23 PM »

Mike and Bruce are returning to the AMT in Lancaster this August as they do at least once a year to rehash the same oldies for the same oldies. I'll pass. It is worth noting that this is the first year ticket prices have gone DOWN (a whole $10) despite the lineup increasing. I can see some gaps in the schedule in August where they could potentially come closer to the Baltimore area but it would take something really special for me to return after being verbally abused by Bruce last year, despite Mike and the entire rest of the band being excellent.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2018, 08:20:06 AM »

I just bought cheap tickets (about half price) to go to their show tonight at the Luhrs Center in PA. I'm honestly only bothering because my girlfriend really wants to go, but based on recent shows there's not really anything too new I haven't seen. Aside from a new bass player and Christian singing God Only Knows, which i'll admit in the videos I've seen he sounds very solid on. But other than that i'm prepared for the same old meat and potatoes show, much more excited to see Al at Rams Head next week.
KDS
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2018, 08:39:29 AM »

I just bought cheap tickets (about half price) to go to their show tonight at the Luhrs Center in PA. I'm honestly only bothering because my girlfriend really wants to go, but based on recent shows there's not really anything too new I haven't seen. Aside from a new bass player and Christian singing God Only Knows, which i'll admit in the videos I've seen he sounds very solid on. But other than that i'm prepared for the same old meat and potatoes show, much more excited to see Al at Rams Head next week.

I wonder if they'll expand the setlist as the new / returning bandmembers get more comfortable.    When I saw them at the Lyric two years ago, it was a 43 (I think) song set. 
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2018, 11:00:17 AM »

I wonder if they'll expand the setlist as the new / returning bandmembers get more comfortable.    When I saw them at the Lyric two years ago, it was a 43 (I think) song set. 

That's correct. That show at the Lyric was probably the best I've ever seen Mike and Bruce give...still salty about "All I Wanna Do" getting cut.  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx