gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680724 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 09:09:21 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 343350 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2018, 06:22:04 AM »

It's unlikely, no question. It's not *that* unlikely. If Mike in the next couple years runs into some problem rendering some sort of infirmity (or worse), then things might change. That's the only scenario where I could see something along the lines of Brian's band essentially simply taking on the BB name. That window is probably only another few years.

It might become "Brian Wilson's Beach Boys" ala "Jeff Lynne's E.L.O"

The weird thing about Jeff Lynne with ELO is that usually when someone sticks their name in front of the band, it's because they don't have the full rights to the name and/or have been forced by contractual agreement (or court order!) to use such an amended name. But in the case of Lynne and ELO, he owns the name. He doesn't have to put "Jeff Lynne" in front of it, but for some reason (probably a mixture of finally highlighting his name more, and also to differentiate his band from the various off-shoot/knock-off bands like "ELO Part II" and "The Orchestra") has chosen to use the "Jeff Lynne's ELO" moniker which actually kind of makes it sound *less* legit.

I've wondered in past years if having Mike tour as something like "Mike Love's Beach Boys" may have been a decent compromise with the license/name situation. But I think once the name is being used like that, not much brand name reputation is being saved by making him put his name in front of the band name as a qualifier.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 27, 2018, 06:38:45 AM »

It's unlikely, no question. It's not *that* unlikely. If Mike in the next couple years runs into some problem rendering some sort of infirmity (or worse), then things might change. That's the only scenario where I could see something along the lines of Brian's band essentially simply taking on the BB name. That window is probably only another few years.

One could only hope that it's sooner than later.

Can you please clarify what  you meant by this?

I, and many others still faithfully hold out for Brian to take back the BB name although *Brian Wilson* eliminates any confusion as to who will be performing or recording. I still think of Brian as a Beach Boy however.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 27, 2018, 10:10:54 AM »

Works for me

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2018, 07:00:07 PM »

It might become "Brian Wilson's Beach Boys" ala "Jeff Lynne's E.L.O"

The weird thing about Jeff Lynne with ELO is that usually when someone sticks their name in front of the band, it's because they don't have the full rights to the name and/or have been forced by contractual agreement (or court order!) to use such an amended name. But in the case of Lynne and ELO, he owns the name. He doesn't have to put "Jeff Lynne" in front of it, but for some reason (probably a mixture of finally highlighting his name more, and also to differentiate his band from the various off-shoot/knock-off bands like "ELO Part II" and "The Orchestra") has chosen to use the "Jeff Lynne's ELO" moniker which actually kind of makes it sound *less* legit.

I've wondered in past years if having Mike tour as something like "Mike Love's Beach Boys" may have been a decent compromise with the license/name situation. But I think once the name is being used like that, not much brand name reputation is being saved by making him put his name in front of the band name as a qualifier.

Of course Alan has sounded the same since 1983
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 02, 2018, 06:07:45 PM »

His album is a true masterpiece in my domain.
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2018, 11:42:10 AM »

I saw the band last night in Thousand Oaks, CA.  Quick background on me: Never saw the BBs in their heyday live, but have seen all different touring versions of BBs, BW and Al's bands since the late '80s.  Up until 2016, I could take or leave Mike's band.  I was happy that he continued to tour and bring the music to so many fans, but (especially compared to Brian's band) I thought the concerts themselves were quite forgettable.  I would still see them when I could (for me hearing this music live performed by ANYONE is a treat), but never left eager to see them again.  That all changed in 2016 when I saw Mike and his band at this same venue in Thousand Oaks.  The band was tight, the harmonies were killer, the setlist had some unexpected deep cuts and the vibe was excellent.  It felt like Mike and Co. had upped their game.  Still a very different concert experience than seeing Brian and his band, but awesome in its own way.  Seeing Jeff taking some great leads, along with Scott and Brian E to me felt like the spirit of what the Beach Boys music is and can be moving forward. I was unable to make their show last year at same venue, but was thrilled to see them again last night.  It was, however, quite a letdown.

Highlights-
Christian Love performed the whole set with the band and sounded fantastic on God Only Knows and Good Vibrations.  I wish he would've sung more leads.
Bruce's falsetto at the end of Fun Fun Fun was quite impressive and he wasn't doubled by anyone else.  He also had a couple of other great stand out falsetto vocal moments.
Scott sounded lovely on Betsy, and his lead playing is top notch.
Jeff sounded great on Darlin'.

Lowlights-
Backing vocals- I'm not sure what is going on, but Jeff selectively sings falsetto now.  Sometimes someone else is on top of the stack, but other times it's just empty (or the sound mixer is asleep at the wheel, which is quite possible based on how terrible the mix was last night).  When Jeff did sing falsetto, it sounded pretty weak (though he sounded great full voice on Darlin').  A friend saw them in October last year and Jeff didn't sing at all, so I wonder if he is having voice issues.
Mike's schtick- which had toned way down the last time I saw them-- last night felt like we were back to the circus with all the dumb tired jokes and banter
Hearing so many songs from Mike's album- they are just terrible.
Stamos- He played most of show with them.  I don't mind him on 4th guitar, but when he drums instead of Cowsill, everything falls flat.  He has no sense of meter and is more concerned about twirling a drum stick in between tom hits than keeping solid time. 
Do It Again- I already mentioned Mike's album cuts, but this gets its own mention. Just...no.  Please.  Play the real version.  No one in the crowd knows or cares who Mark McGrath is.  Some people around me were quite confused.
No Brian E- Nothing against Randall who is great, but Brian's vocals on I Can Hear Music and Then I Kissed Her in 2016 elevated the whole show.  His absence is felt, even though during his entire run with band, his vocals were criminally underutilized.
The theremin substitute sounds on Good Vibrations-  Horrendous.  Sounded like a child's toy.  Clearly a choice to make it sound like this instead of what I've heard previously.  Inexplicable.  I hope someone posts a video online.
THE SOUND MIX- was the worst I've heard at a BB related show.  Ever. 
The videos played during about half the songs are of teenagers in bikinis, with no sense of irony.  It's pretty icky.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2018, 12:07:20 PM »

I saw the band last night in Thousand Oaks, CA.  Quick background on me: Never saw the BBs in their heyday live, but have seen all different touring versions of BBs, BW and Al's bands since the late '80s.  Up until 2016, I could take or leave Mike's band.  I was happy that he continued to tour and bring the music to so many fans, but (especially compared to Brian's band) I thought the concerts themselves were quite forgettable.  I would still see them when I could (for me hearing this music live performed by ANYONE is a treat), but never left eager to see them again.  That all changed in 2016 when I saw Mike and his band at this same venue in Thousand Oaks.  The band was tight, the harmonies were killer, the setlist had some unexpected deep cuts and the vibe was excellent.  It felt like Mike and Co. had upped their game.  Still a very different concert experience than seeing Brian and his band, but awesome in its own way.  Seeing Jeff taking some great leads, along with Scott and Brian E to me felt like the spirit of what the Beach Boys music is and can be moving forward. I was unable to make their show last year at same venue, but was thrilled to see them again last night.  It was, however, quite a letdown.

Highlights-
Christian Love performed the whole set with the band and sounded fantastic on God Only Knows and Good Vibrations.  I wish he would've sung more leads.
Bruce's falsetto at the end of Fun Fun Fun was quite impressive and he wasn't doubled by anyone else.  He also had a couple of other great stand out falsetto vocal moments.

Lowlights-
Backing vocals- I'm not sure what is going on, but Jeff selectively sings falsetto now.  Sometimes someone else is on top of the stack, but other times it's just empty (or the sound mixer is asleep at the wheel, which is quite possible based on how terrible the mix was last night).  When Jeff did sing falsetto, it sounded pretty weak (though he sounded great full voice on Darlin').  A friend saw them in October last year and Jeff didn't sing at all, so I wonder if he is having voice issues.
Mike's schtick- which had toned way down the last time I saw them-- last night felt like we were back to the circus with all the dumb tired jokes and banter
Stamos- He played most of show with them.  I don't mind him on 4th guitar, but when he drums instead of Cowsill, everything falls flat.  He has no sense of meter and is more concerned about twirling a drum stick in between tom hits than keeping solid time. 
Do It Again- I already mentioned Mike's album cuts, but this gets its own mention. Just...no.  Please.  Play the real version.  No one in the crowd knows or cares who Mark McGrath is.  Some people around me were quite confused.
No Brian E- Nothing against Randall who is great, but Brian's vocals on I Can Hear Music and Then I Kissed Her in 2016 elevated the whole show.  His absence is felt, even though during his entire run with band, his vocals were criminally underutilized.
The theremin substitute sounds on Good Vibrations-  Horrendous.  Sounded like a child's toy.  Clearly a choice to make it sound like this instead of what I've heard previously.  Inexplicable.  I hope someone posts a video online.
The videos played during about half the songs are of teenagers in bikinis, with no sense of irony.  It's pretty icky.

Thanks for your review!

Here's "Fun, fun, fun":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ8VkyO-q2Q

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »

Highlights-

Lowlights-

DC310, did Mike say if Randall and Christian are back in the touring band for good?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2018, 06:49:04 PM »

myKe luHv and the Impersonators.  Roll Eyes

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2018, 03:42:41 AM »

The  Fun Fun Fun video posted  above didn't really sound great. And is there anyone more annoying on stage these days at a Beach Boys concert than John Stamos?  Not only does he play an inaudible,likely unplugged guitar merely for affect, but his constant running around the stage from spot to spot is ludicrous. This guy so wants to be a rock and roll star. John, please give it a rest and stick to acting....you take so much more than you give to these shows.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2018, 06:35:24 AM »

Highlights-

Lowlights-

Thanks for taking the time to give us a review!
KDS
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2018, 06:40:03 AM »

Highlights-

Lowlights-

Did Christian Love sing lead on God Only Knows instead of the Carl video? 
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2018, 07:45:34 AM »

I strongly dislike the intrusion of a poseur into what should be a balanced vocal team. Hamming it up for 1 song is ok...but not for the whole of their set. And displacing a great drummer and vocalist for way too many numbers. My lifelong experience of being in vocal groups is that modesty , blending in every sense and community are required. Not a "star" from the acting world.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2018, 07:48:28 AM »

As for Stamos being plugged in or not, it's hard to tell. In the video of the concert in Washington from 2017 (with no Bruce), when they're playing Little Honda, Stamos is clearly playing the wrong chords. Although, there's a clip of him playing Forever, where his guitar is clearly audible. I suppose he really plays when he knows the songs, and turns down the volume when he doesn't know the song.

And I totally agree about the drums. He's a fine drummer. Bar bar band ability. Definitely not legendary rock band ability, like Cowsill, where he has solid time, energy, and really just brings it every night.
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2018, 09:00:12 AM »

Minnesota State Fair added Aug 27th and a digital download of Mike's  (whatever) is included.  This one's a tough one, I've never seen the group since Carl passed.  Thinking about going this time.  I'm getting soft in my old age.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2018, 09:44:26 AM »

I've said it before; I have no doubt that John Stamos is a true, huge fan of the Beach Boys.

There are a million ways he could do something good with that. A (relatively) famous person who is a huge BB fan? Awesome. He shouldn't be on stage (whether with Mike's band or C50). What people like him should be doing is helping the cause *as a high profile fan.* He should be helping to fund a documentary on the band (though don't give him any editorial control), he should be egging Mike and the other guys on to open up the archives. He could be championing a DVD boxed set of old concerts; Stamos could even tape a video opening introduction piece or something.

So many ways he could use his celebrity and wealth for good for BB fans. Instead, he indulges himself and his passing interest in being a weekend rock star.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2018, 09:48:50 AM »

I've said it before; I have no doubt that John Stamos is a true, huge fan of the Beach Boys.

There are a million ways he could do something good with that. A (relatively) famous person who is a huge BB fan? Awesome. He shouldn't be on stage (whether with Mike's band or C50). What people like him should be doing is helping the cause *as a high profile fan.* He should be helping to fund a documentary on the band (though don't give him any editorial control), he should be egging Mike and the other guys on to open up the archives. He could be championing a DVD boxed set of old concerts; Stamos could even tape a video opening introduction piece or something.

So many ways he could use his celebrity and wealth for good for BB fans. Instead, he indulges himself and his passing interest in being a weekend rock star.

He could also work for another C50?Huh  Grin 

Ok I know it's impossible but at least he tries to show his love of the band, even if he might do it the wrong way.

In other news, are Randall and Christian back permanently?
KDS
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2018, 10:33:29 AM »

Minnesota State Fair added Aug 27th and a digital download of Mike's  (whatever) is included.  This one's a tough one, I've never seen the group since Carl passed.  Thinking about going this time.  I'm getting soft in my old age.

I would say if you're thinking about it, do it. 
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »

Put yourself in John Stamos' shoes for a minute.  Realizing your pros and cons as a musician, status as a celebrity, knowledge that plenty of casual fans probably think it's awesome, and overall deep devotion to your favorite band.  There is no way you wouldn't do EXACTLY what he's doing!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 05, 2018, 01:32:14 PM »

I think JS could do a lot worse than watch some clips of Al, Carl and Dave for a lesson in Beach Boys stage presentation. Just saying.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:33:25 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: March 05, 2018, 01:39:26 PM »

Put yourself in John Stamos' shoes for a minute.  Realizing your pros and cons as a musician, status as a celebrity, knowledge that plenty of casual fans probably think it's awesome, and overall deep devotion to your favorite band.  There is no way you wouldn't do EXACTLY what he's doing!

Meh. That's *exactly* the argument Stamos himself used in an interview a couple of years ago where he discussed this very topic. He acknowledged that if he were in the audience, he would find himself annoying! (His analogy was to watching Scott Baio jump on stage with the band). He basically just said "Who *wouldn't* jump at the chance to play on stage?" My answer is, plenty of people. And I'm not talking about a fan being invited on stage for five minutes to dance. I'm talking joining the band for a full set of songs, and to *take over* on drums at various points, sing lead vocals, etc.

If Stamos occasionally showed up and played bongos on "Kokomo", it wouldn't be such a big deal. But he does whatever he wants on stage. He has carte blanche. It's embarrassing for any band that actually wants to be taken seriously. Which probably explains the cold reaction Stamos got in 2012 when he pulled the schtick, and why he was quickly relegated to observer.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 05, 2018, 03:38:48 PM »

Yeah, I'd have no problem with Stamos if his drumming was kept to maybe a song or two, and if he didn't parade around the stage and steal the show, or at least attempt to. Can you imagine if Randell Kirsch or Jeff Foskett started meandering around the stage, or if John Cowsill stood up every five minutes while playing drums??? (about the standing thing, Stamos loves to stand, presumably to be seen, when he plays the drums. He's been doing it since '86 when the BBs first were on his show. It drives me crazy)

Look, If I were a celebrity I would absolutely do what he does! Who wouldn't? Get up on stage and rock with your favorite band? Get to share the stage with a legendary rock star? It would be incredible!!! However, I do totally agree that he could be doing more to promote the band (documentary, archival release, etc...) than just having a SIP poster in Full House and doing all the DIA17 shtick he did.

I can relate to John in the sense that he's a huge BBs fan that loves to perform. However, I think some of the things he does on stage is a little tasteless.

On another note, something that always bothers me is when people criticize Mike or John for not mentioning Dennis when they play Forever. I love when they do, however. But, can you imagine how annoying it would get if Mike talked about Brian after every song? You'd be hearing "Here's a song written by Brian Wilson" before almost every song they play. Given Mike's general personal beefs with Dennis, I'd say having him on the video almost every night is pretty cool of him. It pays respect to Dennis, even though he doesn't go out of his way to acknowledge it, like he does for Carl, or even George Harrison!
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 05, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »

Glad I am not alone in finding Stamos antics interfering with a coherent band which I have followed for........a very long time. Thing is, his schtick is " me, me, me ....not B B B". A guest is just that. A guest. Not the star. Not to take over.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 05, 2018, 04:25:32 PM »

Also, someone pointed out that Jeff has been having falsetto problems, and hasn't been singing in the register as much. I would not mind at all for those parts to go back to Randell, and have Jeff sing in his mid-range voice
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 05, 2018, 04:32:14 PM »

Randell...and Scott...are both good in falsetto parts. Oddly , I felt Jeff had been in best voice since rejoining the BB, although recent youtubes appear to show someone who has backed off somewhat
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx