gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:30:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 342363 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2018, 09:41:37 PM »

This logic has "Beach Boys" written all over it. This is what they are all about. They are totally a brand. They determined this from the get go. It never mattered to the majority (NOT folks like the few of us), who is up on that stage.

So, I don't think there's any question this will happen, the only uncertainty is "when?" .

The other wildcard (as morbid as it is, I've discussed it here before), who passes away first. Frankly, if anyone other than Mike passes, I don't think anything will change. If Mike were to pass before the other four, I would be well beyond intrigued as to what would happen next. Would Brian, Alan, and David become Beach Boys (with Bruce)? It's hard to imagine The Beach Boys without a "front man", at least, a Beach Boys that centralize around the early surfin'/car/girl hits.

I believe a 'Beach Boys' without Mike, would cruise right along. If Brian, Al, Bruce and Dave were to start touring as The Beach Boys tomorrow because Mike was out of the picture, it would work for exactly the same reasons Mike and Bruce do. As mentioned, it's a brand at this point. People want to see the Beach Boys, and many of those people aren't hardcore fans, who are all absorbed in the machinations of lineups, band politics, etc. I guess to summarize, the very reason it works so well for Mike, is the very reason it would work so well without him.

As for a band without any of them present, going out under the name, that's where I would lose interest..but I could see it happening.

"Juice"...I have no doubt it would work. My question (if I had framed it better before) is, do we think the three Beach Boys who are currently NOT in the lineup would be interested in taking on the responsibility of the touring license if Mike were not around to do so and they all were? It would dramatically change the touring schedule for sure. I couldn't see Brian doing the number of shows or the lower-end venues that Mike has no shame in picking up along with the theatres and nicer joints.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2018, 09:48:53 PM »

This logic has "Beach Boys" written all over it. This is what they are all about. They are totally a brand. They determined this from the get go. It never mattered to the majority (NOT folks like the few of us), who is up on that stage.

So, I don't think there's any question this will happen, the only uncertainty is "when?" .

The other wildcard (as morbid as it is, I've discussed it here before), who passes away first. Frankly, if anyone other than Mike passes, I don't think anything will change. If Mike were to pass before the other four, I would be well beyond intrigued as to what would happen next. Would Brian, Alan, and David become Beach Boys (with Bruce)? It's hard to imagine The Beach Boys without a "front man", at least, a Beach Boys that centralize around the early surfin'/car/girl hits.
As for a band without any of them present, going out under the name, that's where I would lose interest..but I could see it happening.

Agreed, but, still, who could fill Bruce's shoes onstage?
KDS
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2018, 12:32:19 AM »

I believe a 'Beach Boys' without Mike, would cruise right along. If Brian, Al, Bruce and Dave were to start touring as The Beach Boys tomorrow because Mike was out of the picture, it would work for exactly the same reasons Mike and Bruce do. As mentioned, it's a brand at this point. People want to see the Beach Boys, and many of those people aren't hardcore fans, who are all absorbed in the machinations of lineups, band politics, etc. I guess to summarize, the very reason it works so well for Mike, is the very reason it would work so well without him.

"Juice"...I have no doubt it would work. My question (if I had framed it better before) is, do we think the three Beach Boys who are currently NOT in the lineup would be interested in taking on the responsibility of the touring license if Mike were not around to do so and they all were? It would dramatically change the touring schedule for sure. I couldn't see Brian doing the number of shows or the lower-end venues that Mike has no shame in picking up along with the theatres and nicer joints.

I would be surprised if that happened.   Brian's camp has spent the better part of the last two decades building the Brian Wilson brand.  I would think they would keep touring as Brian Wilson.   
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2018, 06:32:20 AM »

I don't think Brian would go for it at all. And I would fully expect the Lovester to have a "Beach Boys'' Band ot on the road in name only when he decides to cal it quits, as long as shows can be booked and money is to be made.....no matter how he cheapens the name. It's all about the dollar to Mikey, he could care less if there are a bunch on young guys who perform under the guise of the Beach Boys.....as long as he can sell it and make $.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2018, 07:32:38 AM »

Clearly Brian has little or no interest in touring as "The Beach Boys."

But I don't think it makes sense to assume that if we're trying to look at such a hypothetical, that it would require Brian to tour with the name in the precise same mode that Mike does. So questions of "Could Brian do as many shows?" or "Would Brian book low-end venues?", etc. aren't really applicable.

Brian (and Al or whomever would be involved) could do 50 shows per year, or 75, or 100. They could forego whatever venues/cities they didn't want to do.

For better or worse, considering the statistically small amount of time that would likely pass between the death or major infirmity of, say, Mike, and the continued to desire to extensively tour by, say Brian (or vice versa for that matter), the more likely scenario worth pondering is what happens when *all* of the members are unable or unwilling to tour. Then what happens? Would the estates (and/or surviving members if applicable) vote for and form a licensed touring band? I'm pretty convinced this is the sort of thing that someone like Foskett would and could be angling at in the long run.

I'd rather see something more along the lines of a "Beach Boys Family & Friends" or "California Saga" sort of thing involving Matt Jardine, perhaps Billy Hinsche (though he's not like extensively younger than the actual BBs I guess), and some other family members. I wouldn't be interested in kind of just seeing a Mike/Bruce type band but without Mike and Bruce, with just Mike's backing guys like Foskett and Totten fronting a band.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #80 on: February 26, 2018, 07:38:08 AM »

But I don't think it makes sense to assume that if we're trying to look at such a hypothetical, that it would require Brian to tour with the name in the precise same mode that Mike does. So questions of "Could Brian do as many shows?" or "Would Brian book low-end venues?", etc. aren't really applicable.

Brian (and Al or whomever would be involved) could do 50 shows per year, or 75, or 100. They could forego whatever venues/cities they didn't want to do.

For better or worse, considering the statistically small amount of time that would likely pass between the death or major infirmity of, say, Mike, and the continued to desire to extensively tour by, say Brian (or vice versa for that matter), the more likely scenario worth pondering is what happens when *all* of the members are unable or unwilling to tour. Then what happens? Would the estates (and/or surviving members if applicable) vote for and form a licensed touring band? I'm pretty convinced this is the sort of thing that someone like Foskett would and could be angling at in the long run.

I'd rather see something more along the lines of a "Beach Boys Family & Friends" or "California Saga" sort of thing involving Matt Jardine, perhaps Billy Hinsche (though he's not like extensively younger than the actual BBs I guess), and some other family members. I wouldn't be interested in kind of just seeing a Mike/Bruce type band but without Mike and Bruce, with just Mike's backing guys like Foskett and Totten fronting a band.

Plus, if Brian's band did elect to tour as The Beach Boys, there are a lot of songs that they don't play that they would suddenly be obligated to include - Surfin Sufari, Be True to Your School, Catch a Wave, and......wait for it.....Kokomo. 

Have you read or heard any interviews where Jeff Foskett expressed interview in touring as The Beach Boys after Mike retires? 
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2018, 08:15:02 AM »

Point taken, I agree. I guess I was just framing it from the audience side of the equation. If those guys were out on the road as The Beach Boys, I don't think it would impact attendance negatively.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2018, 09:25:35 AM »

Plus, if Brian's band did elect to tour as The Beach Boys, there are a lot of songs that they don't play that they would suddenly be obligated to include - Surfin Sufari, Be True to Your School, Catch a Wave, and......wait for it.....Kokomo. 

Have you read or heard any interviews where Jeff Foskett expressed interview in touring as The Beach Boys after Mike retires? 

As we've discussed before concerning setlist requirements, I tend to doubt there are any specific song requirements. If Brian somehow ended up touring as "The Beach Boys", there wouldn't be any problem omitting some or all of those songs. Maybe he'd toss "Kokomo" to Matt to sing or something, maybe not.

Foskett almost never gives interviews, so I have not heard or read him directly saying anything concerning wanting to take over the license one day. Call it a well-informed hunch springing from more than simply a gut feeling.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »

There were years during the BBs touring career where certain hits were eschewed and they did just fine. That's not to say anyone using the BB name could survive long doing nothing but Bread and Air Supply covers, but they'd be fine skipping some hits as long as they did some.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:36:54 AM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2018, 09:35:00 AM »

As we've discussed before concerning setlist requirements, I tend to doubt there are any specific song requirements. If Brian somehow ended up touring as "The Beach Boys", there wouldn't be any problem omitting some or all of those songs. Maybe he'd toss "Kokomo" to Matt to sing or something, maybe not.

Foskett almost never gives interviews, so I have not heard or read him directly saying anything concerning wanting to take over the license one day. Call it a well-informed hunch springing from more than simply a gut feeling.

I didn't say requirements, I said obligations.   Just as Chicago are obligated to play Saturday in the Park or Journey are obligated to play Don't Stop Believin.  Do they have to?  No. Iron Maiden regularly leaves Run to the Hills off their setlists.  But, touring under the BB banner, regardless of who the personnel is, sets a certain expectation. 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2018, 09:39:35 AM »

I didn't say requirements, I said obligations.   Just as Chicago are obligated to play Saturday in the Park or Journey are obligated to play Don't Stop Believin.  Do they have to?  No. Iron Maiden regularly leaves Run to the Hills off their setlists.  But, touring under the BB banner, regardless of who the personnel is, sets a certain expectation.  

Except an "obligation" outside of anything contractual is totally speculative and subjective. I would use the word "expectation" more than "obligation", and even then it would be a pretty murky area.

Would a BB tour survive without performing "Kokomo?" Yes. Would a BB tour survive by simply replicating a typical recent "Brian Wilson" setlist? I think so.

Would the tour survive by playing nothing but "MIU" and "So Tough" tracks? Probably not.

It's hard to find a good parallel for the touring BB situation, but we could look at something like the current incarnation of Styx, who leave out at least *some* of the well-known DeYoung hits.

Leaving out hits that are linked to an inactive member of a band is a harder proposition when the band only has a hand full of truly *well-known* hits. Supertramp, when Roger Hodgson left, tried to "divide" up the respective songs with Hodgson taking his tunes and the other guy taking his and continuing on under the Supertramp name. This didn't work, as Hodgson's hits were the most well-known ("Logical Song", "Give a Little Bit", "Take the Long Way Home"). They eventually just gave in and started doing the Hodgson songs (much to Hodgson's chagrin; I can't recall but there may have even been actual agreement in place barring that from happening at some point).

The difference with the BBs is that they have DOZENS of well-known songs, both hit singles and other well-known oldies and past radio staples.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:51:55 AM by HeyJude » Logged

KDS
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2018, 09:50:35 AM »

I didn't say requirements, I said obligations.   Just as Chicago are obligated to play Saturday in the Park or Journey are obligated to play Don't Stop Believin.  Do they have to?  No. Iron Maiden regularly leaves Run to the Hills off their setlists.  But, touring under the BB banner, regardless of who the personnel is, sets a certain expectation.  

Except an "obligation" outside of anything contractual is totally speculative and subjective. I would use the word "expectation" more than "obligation", and even then it would be a pretty murky area.

Would a BB tour survive without performing "Kokomo?" Yes. Would a BB tour survive by simply replicating a typical recent "Brian Wilson" setlist? I think so.

Would the tour survive by playing nothing but "MIU" and "So Tough" tracks? Probably not.

It's hard to find a good parallel for the touring BB situation, but we could look at something like the current incarnation of Styx, who leave out at least *some* of the well-known DeYoung hits.

Leaving out hits that are linked to an inactive member of a band is a harder proposition when the band only has a hand full of truly *well-known* hits. Supertramp, when Roger Hodgson left, tried to "divide" up the respective songs with Hodgson taking his tunes and the other guy taking his and continuing on under the Supertramp name. This didn't work, as Hodgson's hits were the most well-known ("Logical Song", "Give a Little Bit", "Take the Long Way Home"). They eventually just gave in and started doing the Hodgson songs (much to Hodgson's chagrin; I can't recall but there may have even been actual agreement in place barring that from happening at some point).

The difference with the BBs is that they have DOZENS of well-known songs, but hit singles and other well-known oldies and past radio staples.

It's really all a moot point anyway, as I think Brian's band touring as The Beach Boys is about as likely as my winning the Powerball. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2018, 09:53:54 AM »

It's unlikely, no question. It's not *that* unlikely. If Mike in the next couple years runs into some problem rendering some sort of infirmity (or worse), then things might change. That's the only scenario where I could see something along the lines of Brian's band essentially simply taking on the BB name. That window is probably only another few years.

KDS
« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2018, 10:14:17 AM »

It's unlikely, no question. It's not *that* unlikely. If Mike in the next couple years runs into some problem rendering some sort of infirmity (or worse), then things might change. That's the only scenario where I could see something along the lines of Brian's band essentially simply taking on the BB name. That window is probably only another few years.

If it happened, I'd be frankly shocked.  Only because Brian and his band have worked for the better part of two decades to establish the Brian Wilson Brand.   The success of the BW brand can definitely be debated, and there's no doubt touring under The Beach Boys label would allow Brian and his band to play bigger venues.   
oldsurferdude
« Reply #89 on: February 26, 2018, 10:35:28 AM »

One could only hope that it's sooner than later.
KDS
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2018, 10:38:50 AM »

...for Mike to run into some problem rendering some sort of infirmity (or worse)?
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2018, 11:00:54 AM »

...for Mike to run into some problem rendering some sort of infirmity (or worse)?

If this isn't against the rules, it should be.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 26, 2018, 11:46:06 AM »

Classy.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 26, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »

........... wow. Not even surprised that was said that’s pathetic in its self
David1964
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 26, 2018, 01:36:29 PM »

I've read some pretty classless things on this board over the years and this ranks right near the top. Disliking someone is one thing, but hoping for illness or worse is just sick.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM »

Can you please clarify what  you meant by this?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 09:08:04 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2018, 10:10:55 PM »

It might become "Brian Wilson's Beach Boys" ala "Jeff Lynne's E.L.O"
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: February 27, 2018, 12:19:17 AM »

Personally, it still wouldn’t be The Beach Boys. I’m almost the very definition of a Brianista but it wouldn’t be The Beach Boys without Mike either

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 27, 2018, 12:35:07 AM »

That window is probably only another few years.

God....How long have we been saying that?  Roll Eyes
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: February 27, 2018, 06:18:03 AM »

That window is probably only another few years.

God....How long have we been saying that?  Roll Eyes

True, they most certainly have more longevity than most of us assumed. But the clock is still ticking. I don't think they'll all be touring 100 shows per year in their 90s.

If anything, their longevity makes it, in retrospect, even sadder than all but six months or so during 2012 out of the past 20 years have been wasted being apart from each other. *Especially* post-2012.

It's not blasphemous to point out that, barring Al Jardine who still sounds the same, none of the other guys sound as good or better in 2017/18 than they did in 2012.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx