gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:36:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 51 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys 2021 Feel Flows World Tour Thread  (Read 340270 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: July 05, 2018, 09:53:23 AM »

Quibbles?  Why wouldn't they put the camera on Jeff when he was singing key parts of Kokomo?  Looked stupid...amateurish.  Obviously a poor production idea.  

This is an ongoing issue and has been for a couple decades for Mike, because he tours as "The Beach Boys" mostly with "non-Beach Boys", and the sidemen sing a ton of the lead vocals.

It isn't super-duper common for a *group* to hand off a ton of leads to "non-official members." They usually bring those other newer members in as "official" members (e.g. Chicago, Journey, Boston, etc.).

Yes, on occasion groups (or even "solo" artists) hand off lead parts to backing band members. Foskett was singing "Little GTO" with the Beach Boys back in the 80s. Even McCartney had his backing guys singing a few lines on "I've Got a Feeling."

But Mike and Bruce are regularly presented as "The Beach Boys" in its official capacity as a touring band, and thus the (correct) assumption even on the part of directors/editors on TV shows is that everybody else is in the backing band, thus you get stuff like the camera staying honed in on Mike (or Bruce, or even Stamos) instead of the other guys.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:43:32 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 05, 2018, 09:58:35 AM »

I was pleasantly surprised.  The vocal sound was pretty strong...the best of all of the 'acts' I thought.  I wondered what they did to enhance Mike's power and tone...  It worked.

Quibbles?  Why wouldn't they put the camera on Jeff when he was singing key parts of Kokomo?  Looked stupid...amateurish.  Obviously a poor production idea.  Why send John Cowsill packing in order to put 'who's-his-arse' on the drums?  Just let him play the guitar...or some bongos.  Jimmy isn't good at singing harmonies.  As I have said for years...'speechifying' ain't Mike's strong suit.  It never has been.  Stumbling through his wee accepting of the award 'blurt' was pretty iffy...and he forgot to include Blondie and Ricky.

All in all though?  W A Y  better than last year's debacle.  Hey!!!  I gotta tell the truth. Wink

It seemed a little harried on stage for the award presentation. I wonder if they were behind? We're the fireworks supposed to start during the set?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2018, 10:38:27 AM »

Just watched...seemed like Mike was desperately trying to read a prompter that was too far away.

I'm pretty sure they sang with a recording of themselves. The harmonies were thick in a duplication kinda way. As previously mentioned, there were also some moments were it was easily noticeable that there were "two Mike Loves" singing at the same time.

WAY better than last year...but truly, jut the same old shlock.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 05, 2018, 01:18:08 PM »

From the articles I've read, the fireworks are independent of the concert, so the National Park Service can set them off whenever they wish.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2018, 07:04:54 PM »

I was actually surprised to see Mike kind of stumble over his acceptance speech when Stamos gave him that award. I like that Mike accepted it for and named his original bandmates, but I didn't expect him to A. need to read from a teleprompter (if that's what he was doing) for such a short thank-you type of speech since his everyday gig is an emcee/frontman, and B. have trouble delivering the speech. It happens to everyone but Mike seemed off.

I can't put my finger on what it was, but I thought listening live last night that the performance was enhanced, I also think I did hear multiple Mike vocals hitting the live mix simultaneously and perhaps one was corrected, and the instrumental mix sounded really, really full (and I don't mean the orchestra, I mean the core band). Compare that sound to some of the recent June 2018 concert clips on YouTube.

I thought it felt like the set was clipped a little too tight, as in it felt rushed especially cutting right to Fun Fun Fun in the middle of Kokomo, and it didn't feel like the group was given enough time in the set. These things always run long, but still...we got basically one full song from the band. Or 2 if you count Fun Fun Fun which is short anyway.

Jimmy Buffett...I don't think he added much if anything. Him being barefoot was a little odd, at least Bruce could have lent Jimmy a pair of his Docksiders to put on his feet.  Grin

Anyway - The songs are the legacy. People love them and always will. It's music that heals and makes people happy. A special tip of the hat as well to John Stamos for all the work he does for veterans groups and his other charities - A class act in that regard, and I mean that sincerely. Kudos to John Stamos.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2018, 07:05:28 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 06, 2018, 06:19:34 AM »

2guitarfool2002: Well said. Agree with each point. It didn't seem characteristic of chatty Mike to stumble indeed.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: July 06, 2018, 06:35:09 AM »

I don't think there's any need to pile on given that any time Stamos and Mike are involved, and it's a TV show conforming to all the trappings of such, it's *always* pretty painful and not the best presentation for anyone.

That being said, we've set the bar pretty low if it's now a case of "well, not as bad as last year!"

I guess I appreciate Mike mentioning the other band members when accepting the punch bowl, err, award, but really that would, under any circumstance concerning an "award" for the band, be the most basic courtesy he *should* be offering.

As for the "live" performances, they did indeed appear less obviously canned compared to last year. I still think some futzing is going on, but at least some of the vocals and possibly some of the instrumentation appeared to be partially live.  Mike's band, while kind of a bit diluted (I'm pretty sure all three of Bonhomme, the sax player, and the new bass player are all the same guy), puts on a professional show. But these types of shows are never even a good presentation for his band.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 07:39:58 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: July 06, 2018, 07:51:15 AM »

There was certainly nothing on the show this year that was epic enough to inspire this Vic Berger video from last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdYbymafUd0

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 06, 2018, 03:13:47 PM »

July 15th show has been cancelled "due to logistical issues."

https://www.wane.com/news/local-news/beach-boys-cancel-fort-wayne-show/1286789993
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 06, 2018, 03:57:07 PM »

That inspired me to check up on their schedule...which led me to this interesting discovery:

November 16th in Chattanooga, the 'boys' will launch their "Reason for the Season Christmas Tour"...I know Mike and Bruce have done Christmas shows before...but have they ever advertised a specifically themed Christmas tour...coincidentally at the same exact time Brian & Al are doing their own?
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: July 06, 2018, 04:09:11 PM »

https://www.wane.com/news/local-news/beach-boys-cancel-fort-wayne-show/1286789993

That inspired me to check up on their schedule...which led me to this interesting discovery:

November 16th in Chattanooga, the 'boys' will launch their "Reason for the Season Christmas Tour"...I know Mike and Bruce have done Christmas shows before...but have they ever advertised a specifically themed Christmas tour...coincidentally at the same exact time Brian & Al are doing their own?

Maybe they had to cancel to hold emergency auditions to find a dancing Santa Claus to add to Mike's Christmas shows.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: July 06, 2018, 04:35:34 PM »

Maybe they had to cancel to hold emergency auditions to find a dancing Santa Claus to add to Mike's Christmas shows.

More likely a slew of dancing Mrs. Clauses...surely Mike will be the big man in red...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: July 06, 2018, 04:39:46 PM »

Unleash the santa daddy... Shocked

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: July 06, 2018, 05:37:23 PM »

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: July 07, 2018, 02:03:46 AM »

I was actually surprised to see Mike kind of stumble over his acceptance speech when Stamos gave him that award. I like that Mike accepted it for and named his original bandmates, but I didn't expect him to A. need to read from a teleprompter (if that's what he was doing) for such a short thank-you type of speech since his everyday gig is an emcee/frontman, and B. have trouble delivering the speech. It happens to everyone but Mike seemed off.

I can't put my finger on what it was, but I thought listening live last night that the performance was enhanced, I also think I did hear multiple Mike vocals hitting the live mix simultaneously and perhaps one was corrected, and the instrumental mix sounded really, really full (and I don't mean the orchestra, I mean the core band). Compare that sound to some of the recent June 2018 concert clips on YouTube.

I thought it felt like the set was clipped a little too tight, as in it felt rushed especially cutting right to Fun Fun Fun in the middle of Kokomo, and it didn't feel like the group was given enough time in the set. These things always run long, but still...we got basically one full song from the band. Or 2 if you count Fun Fun Fun which is short anyway.

Jimmy Buffett...I don't think he added much if anything. Him being barefoot was a little odd, at least Bruce could have lent Jimmy a pair of his Docksiders to put on his feet.  Grin

Anyway - The songs are the legacy. People love them and always will. It's music that heals and makes people happy. A special tip of the hat as well to John Stamos for all the work he does for veterans groups and his other charities - A class act in that regard, and I mean that sincerely. Kudos to John Stamos.

NOTE: JB does all his concerts barefoot.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 02:05:16 AM by Dave in KC » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: July 07, 2018, 05:29:08 AM »

Mike needs to wear this on the christmas tour! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: July 07, 2018, 10:07:59 AM »

LOL
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: July 07, 2018, 12:35:47 PM »

Ahh, memories of being banned for a stretch only this time it's a sweatshirt.  LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: July 07, 2018, 12:57:05 PM »

That was a pretty strange photo with “family” members! LOL

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #294 on: July 07, 2018, 05:54:05 PM »

Ahh, memories of being banned for a stretch only this time it's a sweatshirt.  LOL LOL

Hey We gotta laugh about it now... all we can do LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: July 07, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »

Old water under the bridge, Billy.  Wink

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: July 08, 2018, 10:10:39 AM »

OSD is the man!

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: July 08, 2018, 12:02:12 PM »

Hey We gotta laugh about it now... all we can do LOL

Yep  LOL
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: July 10, 2018, 02:10:18 PM »

It's interesting to me that in many (not all, but a handful) of TV performances since C50, Bruce has gone without a keyboard, as another frontman. Does he do this on TV at events such as the Capitol Fourth 2018, Memorial Day 2016, The View 2016, etc to draw attention that he is another "real" Beach Boy? That would be my guess. To distinguish him from the band.

I know singing BBs harmony is no easy task, but Bruce always looks like he doesn't have much to do!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: July 10, 2018, 09:29:31 PM »

It's interesting to me that in many (not all, but a handful) of TV performances since C50, Bruce has gone without a keyboard, as another frontman. Does he do this on TV at events such as the Capitol Fourth 2018, Memorial Day 2016, The View 2016, etc to draw attention that he is another "real" Beach Boy? That would be my guess. To distinguish him from the band.

I know singing BBs harmony is no easy task, but Bruce always looks like he doesn't have much to do!

I've noticed that Bruce's keyboard is MIA when they are lip-synching to one degree or another. I've also noticed that when he plays live, he is often playing vocal cues on very soft electric piano sounds, or simply playing nothing at all (this is usually the case...) So, I'm sure they see no need for the additional expense. Also, I wouldn't consider him an additional frontman. Frankly, he's a backup singer at that point.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 51 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx