gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:50:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The most progressive pop album ever"  (Read 1529 times)
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2018, 07:34:48 AM »

This is one of the most profound events of the group's history, and yet I've never seen it discussed anywhere. Three questions that should be answered:

1) Who came up with the idea to promote Pet Sounds in this fashion? Derek Taylor?

2) Did this line inspire the notion of "progressiveness" or "prog" in popular music discourse? (I'm aware that there was such a thing as "progressive jazz" before this point.)

3) Is this the earliest reference to "progressive" pop/rock music in print? If not, then at least where "progressive pop" was coined?
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 10:30:43 AM »

I was surprised to find a fairly comprehensive Wikipedia page on Progressive Rock/Pop.

If you are willing to take it as a reliable source, They tend to focus on The Beatles as being the real movers and shakers of the movement.

In terms of Pet Sounds, the emphasis seems to be more on how Brian paved the way for acceptance from the 'Labels' to allow artists the range and autonomy to experiment with progressive sounds in the studio. A valid point, I suppose.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx