gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:44:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My website-update  (Read 6200 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 11, 2018, 12:38:55 PM »

If you are interested you can now see my information (with scans of all the ads) for the Beach Boys summer 1963 tour at www.Beachboysgigs.com.  If you view gigs you can look at gigs from 1963 and 1964 but no other years yet-so don't bother with those links.  If you go to the menu bar top right you can also view the corrections/additions/updates to my book blog. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 05:38:41 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up!
While browsing through 1963, I stopped at the show from September 21, 1963. There's a picture of Carl, Dennis, Mike and Al. You write that Brian wasn't there. Do we know if David therefor took over the drums while Dennis was upfront, just like Brian did?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 06:13:52 AM »

You know I have a fairly lengthy account of that concert who took photos of it (one of which is used by me)I'll see if he mentioned it. He told me that he was into surf instrumentals and his favorite moment in the concert was when they played surf jam from their album
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 07:00:44 AM »

You know I have a fairly lengthy account of that concert who took photos of it (one of which is used by me)I'll see if he mentioned it. He told me that he was into surf instrumentals and his favorite moment in the concert was when they played surf jam from their album

Thanks, that would be interesting! I love the studio recording of "Surf jam".

I got through with 1964, what an exciting time it must've been!

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:54:40 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up!
While browsing through 1963, I stopped at the show from September 21, 1963. There's a picture of Carl, Dennis, Mike and Al. You write that Brian wasn't there. Do we know if David therefor took over the drums while Dennis was upfront, just like Brian did?

Yes, he did. I have a photo from a 1963 show with David on drums. We'll likely put that in the updated edition of Davids book.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:57 AM »

Cool Website Grin
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 09:11:09 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up!

Yes, he did. I have a photo from a 1963 show with David on drums. We'll likely put that in the updated edition of Davids book.

Thanks Jon! Very interesting. If I'm not mistaken that makes that in the early years (before they added other musicians) it was either Brian or David playing drums when Dennis came upfront to sing his song. After Brian left the touring group in late '64 Dennis played sang and played drums at the same time ("Do you wanna dance") or came upfront and no one played drums ("You've got to hide your love away"). Or did Carl or Bruce take over the drums as well sometimes?

- Jack Rieley
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 09:18:13 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks Jon! Very interesting. If I'm not mistaken that makes that in the early years (before they added other musicians) it was either Brian or David playing drums when Dennis came upfront to sing his song. After Brian left the touring group in late '64 Dennis played sang and played drums at the same time ("Do you wanna dance") or came upfront and no one played drums ("You've got to hide your love away"). Or did Carl or Bruce take over the drums as well sometimes?

Actually I saw a photo of Mike Love with the mike along Dennis in 1966.

Carl Wilson mimed drums in tv apparitions
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 09:27:27 AM »

Thanks for the heads-up!

Yeah, that was for "Never learn not to love". But I was talking about the live shows before they had any backing musicians, so 1961- ca. 1967
I remember that picture. But I wonder why there wasn't a mic stand around.

- Jack Rieley
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 11:00:29 AM »

https://twitter.com/beachboyslegacy/status/950869463221653505
someone played the drums instead of Dennis according this photo of 1966.

Note that in 1967 The boys didn't played  a song of Dennis.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 11:14:27 AM »

Not necessarily. In '66 they played "You've got to hide your love away" which was just Dennis and Al I believe. But maybe there was another song as well played during that time?

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 01:35:08 PM »

Yeah-I am not sure who played drums during that song in 1966, perhaps Carl.  It's true that Ron Brown was the first extra musician they traveled with in fall 67 and then Daryl Dragon.  By 1968 they'd begun to travel with a second drummer/percussionist-in those years it was either Dennis Dragon or Mike Kowalski.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 01:52:54 PM »

This is totally off topic, but I never knew that the beach boys played a super bowl half time show in 1987! It looks like Brian was there, too.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 02:32:01 PM »

This is totally off topic, but I never knew that the beach boys played a super bowl half time show in 1987! It looks like Brian was there, too.

I believe it was billed as Americas Band or something like that, Dean was there as well.Story has it that the first Al knew of it was when he saw it on TV
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 02:38:08 PM »

If you are interested you can now see my information (with scans of all the ads) for the Beach Boys summer 1963 tour at www.Beachboysgigs.com.  If you view gigs you can look at gigs from 1963 and 1964 but no other years yet-so don't bother with those links.  If you go to the menu bar top right you can also view the corrections/additions/updates to my book blog. 

Ian, super stuff and i really look forward to the evolution of the site (man, what a task).
Should you ever venture into solo gigs, I do somewhere have a number of snaps of Carl (not the greatest quality) doing a solo club gig (not my snaps, but I bought them many years ago).
Must dig then out, scan and post them.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 03:17:33 PM »

Note that in 1967 The boys didn't played  a song of Dennis.

I believe it was billed as Americas Band or something like that, Dean was there as well.Story has it that the first Al knew of it was when he saw it on TV

Sounded like that was some foreshadowing...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 03:18:53 PM »

I think the year you mean is 1998, not 1987.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,7168.0.html
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 03:21:39 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 03:58:35 PM »

Ah well forget my comment then LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 04:06:48 PM »

Nope, read it closely.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 04:55:43 PM »

Ok then unforget my comment then LOL

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2018, 05:22:39 PM »

Nope, read it closely.

Ok to clarify. 1987 pre-game show as the Beach Boys with Brian.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/posts/1244596635619175

1998. No Beach Boys. Mike, Bruce, Dave, Dean etc. Another pre game show.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 04:48:09 AM »

Nope, read it closely.

Ok to clarify. 1987 pre-game show as the Beach Boys with Brian.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMikeLove/posts/1244596635619175

I always wondere why Brian and Mike wore pyjamas during that performance

- Jack Rieley
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 07:05:11 AM »

Rocker, Answered, If you hear Japan 1966 recordings  where the photos comes, you can't hear any drums, only tambourine.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2018, 07:03:50 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm assuming this was after he died, and ghost Carl just felt like stopping by and sitting in with the other guys. Unfortunately, no one in person at the TV studio could see him, but the cameras picked him up fine, and TV watchers around the world got to see Carl's apparition fake playing the drums during Mike and Bruce's epic rendition of "Santa's Going to Kokomo".

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2018, 08:14:04 PM »

Thanks for the heads-up!

I'm assuming this was after he died, and ghost Carl just felt like stopping by and sitting in with the other guys. Unfortunately, no one in person at the TV studio could see him, but the cameras picked him up fine, and TV watchers around the world got to see Carl's apparition fake playing the drums during Mike and Bruce's epic rendition of "Santa's Going to Kokomo".

Segueing into "Pisces Brothers"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx