gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:23:37 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which band's output do you prefer in 1970?
The Beach Boys - 35 (92.1%)
The Beatles - 3 (7.9%)
Total Voters: 36

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1970: The Beach Boys vs. The Beatles  (Read 12313 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »

The whole conversation reads like this (to me):

Poster 1: The atom bomb was terrible.
Poster 2: What was so terrible about it? Lots of things kill people.
Poster 1: It killed Thousands of people.
Poster 2: So what?  Candy kills thousands of people too. What's so important about the atom bomb?
Poster 1: Well it's terrible. That is a fact.
Poster 2: What is fact there? That is your opinion. I think candy has killed far more people. What is so special about atom bomb? Tell me specifically.
Poster 1: It has potential to destroy the whole planet.
Poster 2: I have never seen it destroy a whole planet. Again, why single you the atom bomb.
Poster 1: I didn't single it out. I was just making a statement.
Poster 2: Your statement singled out the atom bomb. Everyone always talks about the atom bomb like it has killed the most people in earth's history. Whenever I ask for specifics why or to defend their statement I get the same boring reasons.
Poster 1: Agree to disagree. The atom bomb WAS terrible.
Brow

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2018, 04:53:34 PM »

I am so lost right now

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »

The analogy pixletwin gave to simple question regarding Spector's inventiveness doesn't make any sense & is really extreme. Why is it that when I ask some question or say sth. turns out I asked or said sth. "strange"? I think it's valid question. If I didn't know the subject very well, it makes me ask question about it, to many people to get many answers. Is it not what people do usually?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 01:36:47 AM »

Result:
The Beach Boys 35 votes
The Beatles 3 votes

The winner is The Beach Boys.
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 12:05:05 PM »

The analogy pixletwin gave to simple question regarding Spector's inventiveness doesn't make any sense & is really extreme. Why is it that when I ask some question or say sth. turns out I asked or said sth. "strange"? I think it's valid question. If I didn't know the subject very well, it makes me ask question about it, to many people to get many answers. Is it not what people do usually?

I think that part of it is a translation problem.  Are you perhaps Russian?  I can understand you when you post things but I think that based on whatever your native language is, you think about things a little bit differently or focus on a word meaning in English that is just a little bit different than how a native speaker would use it, and that can create some misunderstandings.  In this case, I think for whatever reason you are focusing on the word "great"- in cases like this great can be used in its normal superlative form of the word good, but it can also mean "something distinctive" or "something that made a lasting impact".  In this case, someone can call Phil Spector's work great and it is applicable.  They can be a big fan of his music, or they can be apathetic towards it, but "great" would still apply.  
You could likewise describe Richard Wagner as great, or Woody Allen as great, or Jane Austen as great.  Even if you yourself don't think what they did is special.
You also shouldn't use the word "samey".
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 12:06:13 PM by Kid Presentable » Logged
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2018, 12:21:31 PM »

I think that part of it is a translation problem.  Are you perhaps Russian?  I can understand you when you post things but I think that based on whatever your native language is, you think about things a little bit differently or focus on a word meaning in English that is just a little bit different than how a native speaker would use it, and that can create some misunderstandings.  In this case, I think for whatever reason you are focusing on the word "great"- in cases like this great can be used in its normal superlative form of the word good, but it can also mean "something distinctive" or "something that made a lasting impact".  In this case, someone can call Phil Spector's work great and it is applicable.  They can be a big fan of his music, or they can be apathetic towards it, but "great" would still apply.  
You could likewise describe Richard Wagner as great, or Woody Allen as great, or Jane Austen as great.  Even if you yourself don't think what they did is special.

Shhhhhhh, or we'll have to spend three pages explaining why Wagner, Allen and Austen are considered great.

Arghh, too late, Range Rovers just logged in!
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2018, 02:33:53 PM »

Oh come on now.  Show some decorum around here.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:35:28 PM by Kid Presentable » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2018, 06:53:35 PM »

1 page worth of discussion, 2 pages worth of arguing and barb tossing.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2018, 06:56:59 PM »

I think that part of it is a translation problem.  Are you perhaps Russian?  I can understand you when you post things but I think that based on whatever your native language is, you think about things a little bit differently or focus on a word meaning in English that is just a little bit different than how a native speaker would use it, and that can create some misunderstandings.  In this case, I think for whatever reason you are focusing on the word "great"- in cases like this great can be used in its normal superlative form of the word good, but it can also mean "something distinctive" or "something that made a lasting impact".  In this case, someone can call Phil Spector's work great and it is applicable.  They can be a big fan of his music, or they can be apathetic towards it, but "great" would still apply. 
You could likewise describe Richard Wagner as great, or Woody Allen as great, or Jane Austen as great.  Even if you yourself don't think what they did is special.

I think you hit the nail on the head in the first couple of sentences, which is why I try to keep that in mind. I’m a little disturbed by much of this thread and I have to step in. Can we all please be a little nicer to each other?

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »

I’m a little disturbed by much of this thread and I have to step in. Can we all please be a little nicer to each other?
Right.

Thanks for stepping in, which I should've already done.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2018, 08:09:06 PM »

Sorry I didn’t step in sooner. I actually expected this more in the main forum and this literally flew under the  radar for me.
Edit - this WAS on the main forum! Yikes. Ok I take full blame for dropping the ball.

I missed the voting but I would’ve cast by vote behind The Beach Boys. I may have said this before but I’m not a fan of the let it be album at all.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 08:10:39 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2018, 08:12:55 PM »

I voted for the Beach Boys, too. Sunflower is much consistent album and the songs are IMO better, with the possible exception of Let It Be.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2018, 11:13:01 PM »

Shhhhhhh, or we'll have to spend three pages explaining why Wagner, Allen and Austen are considered great.

You know this was a joke, yes? It wasn't meant unkindly, it was theatrical ribaldry.

No need for anyone to 'step in'. It was an intersting discussion about what Spector brought to music production, at least on my part.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2018, 11:35:52 PM »

I voted for the Beach Boys, too. Sunflower is much consistent album and the songs are IMO better, with the possible exception of Let It Be.

The Let it Be album has some good songs but the production was awful and overall it sounded like crap. I’m comparison Sunflower sounded warm and lush and had some of the best songs of their career.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2018, 11:36:52 PM »

I think that part of it is a translation problem.  Are you perhaps Russian?  I can understand you when you post things but I think that based on whatever your native language is, you think about things a little bit differently or focus on a word meaning in English that is just a little bit different than how a native speaker would use it, and that can create some misunderstandings.  In this case, I think for whatever reason you are focusing on the word "great"- in cases like this great can be used in its normal superlative form of the word good, but it can also mean "something distinctive" or "something that made a lasting impact".  In this case, someone can call Phil Spector's work great and it is applicable.  They can be a big fan of his music, or they can be apathetic towards it, but "great" would still apply. 
You could likewise describe Richard Wagner as great, or Woody Allen as great, or Jane Austen as great.  Even if you yourself don't think what they did is special.

You know this was a joke, yes? It wasn't meant unkindly, it was theatrical ribaldry.

No need for anyone to 'step in'. It was an intersting discussion about what Spector brought to music production, at least on my part.

Roger that

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2018, 11:38:45 PM »

I know we've had a few spats, but I'm fond of Range Rover.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2018, 12:10:35 AM »

The Let it Be album has some good songs but the production was awful and overall it sounded like crap. I’m comparison Sunflower sounded warm and lush and had some of the best songs of their career.
Agreed. Let It Be stinks in terms of production compared to either Phil Spector's previous work and later work with solo Beatles.
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 06:22:53 PM »

We should consider continuing with the Beatles solo stuff vs the beach boys and their solo stuff continuing from 1970 on.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 11:42:31 PM »

We should consider continuing with the Beatles solo stuff vs the beach boys and their solo stuff continuing from 1970 on.

I'll consider that. That can be very interesting and debatable. Some might say it's pointless though.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx