gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:09:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you have any regrets?  (Read 10688 times)
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »

The thread on Carl's death made me reflect on my biggest Beach Boys regret.  I got into the BB too late in life and as a result I never got to see Carl live.  This is by far and away my biggest BB regret.  It may sound silly but it is really tough for me to accept.  Knowing now that they actually played in my city pretty much every summer of my teens and twenties - but I was an idiot and didn't go - is just too much to think about. I don't even really know why, because I liked them then but just wasn't a superfan.    

There are others but none can top that one.  

1.  Not seeing Carl play live.

2.  Not going to more of the reunion shows.  Went to two and they were so good that I sincerely regret not taking a week or so off and going to half a dozen shows.  I went to the first show with some trepidation (I wasn't a member of any BB forums then and hadn't read a lot of reviews).  About halfway into Do it Again I was like, "okay.  this is going to be gooood."  I should have gone home and bought tickets to more shows.  

Do you guys have any?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 11:02:22 AM by marcella27 » Logged
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 11:07:01 AM »

Yes, becoming a BB fan.  It's incredibly frustrating. I should have just kept on walking...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
KDS
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 11:09:53 AM »

I suppose the obvious one is not getting into The Beach Boys sooner.   I started casually listening in the summer of 2006 (age 25), and THANK GOODNESS decided to buy a cheapo ticket to a C50 show just before midnight the night before the concert.  That was the summer of 2012, so I was 31 years old, and I basically ate, slept, breathed The Beach Boys that whole summer.  

The only other regret was not going to see the Brian Wilson Tour in 2013, and missing a rare opportunity to hear Little Bird in concert
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2018, 11:21:30 AM »

Well it’s not a regret but probably the amount of drugs the Wilsons did.....kiddinggg

- Missing the C50
- losing touch with some old fan friends

Outside of that the ride has been amazing, I’ve met some great people, met up with fellow fans, became friends with some awesome people, I have gotten to learn and appreciate more about this band’s lifelong output.

When you think about the caliber of output this band has, and how blessed we are to have folks like Linnet, Boyd, Desper, Stebbins and other’s around to share stories, create mixes, put together boxsets. This is one of the best bands you could ever be a fan of. Sure the fan base can be infuriating at times, but we’re mostly all here because of a connection to this music. And this music kicks ass.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2018, 11:33:32 AM »

I suppose the obvious one is not getting into The Beach Boys sooner.   I started casually listening in the summer of 2006 (age 25), and THANK GOODNESS decided to buy a cheapo ticket to a C50 show just before midnight the night before the concert.  That was the summer of 2012, so I was 31 years old, and I basically ate, slept, breathed The Beach Boys that whole summer.  

The only other regret was not going to see the Brian Wilson Tour in 2013, and missing a rare opportunity to hear Little Bird in concert

That's funny.  The second C50 show for me was in Saratoga, NY.  I remember driving back home the day after the concert (a four-hour drive).  We were playing BB CDs the whole time.  It was a really beautiful sunny summer day and we were driving through the Adirondacks.  It sounds ridiculous but I remember something happening, as if I could feel the chemistry of my brain changing and suddenly it all made sense to me.  Songs that I had been lukewarm on before sounded better.  I could hear something interesting even in the "not so great" songs.  It was like my neurons all snapped into place to allow me to fully appreciate the BB's music.  Since then it has pretty much been all BB all the time.   
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:37:30 AM »

Well it’s not a regret but probably the amount of drugs the Wilsons did.....kiddinggg

- Missing the C50
- losing touch with some old fan friends

Outside of that the ride has been amazing, I’ve met some great people, met up with fellow fans, became friends with some awesome people, I have gotten to learn and appreciate more about this band’s lifelong output.

When you think about the caliber of output this band has, and how blessed we are to have folks like Linnet, Boyd, Desper, Stebbins and other’s around to share stories, create mixes, put together boxsets. This is one of the best bands you could ever be a fan of. Sure the fan base can be infuriating at times, but we’re mostly all here because of a connection to this music. And this music kicks ass.

Yes, I will be sure not to ask Mike this question if I ever meet him.   Wink

KDS
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:45:06 AM »

That's funny.  The second C50 show for me was in Saratoga, NY.  I remember driving back home the day after the concert (a four-hour drive).  We were playing BB CDs the whole time.  It was a really beautiful sunny summer day and we were driving through the Adirondacks.  It sounds ridiculous but I remember something happening, as if I could feel the chemistry of my brain changing and suddenly it all made sense to me.  Songs that I had been lukewarm on before sounded better.  I could hear something interesting even in the "not so great" songs.  It was like my neurons all snapped into place to allow me to fully appreciate the BB's music.  Since then it has pretty much been all BB all the time.   

That's pretty similar to my experience.   Songs like Wendy, Please Let Me Wonder, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, and All This is That that I'd passed over, or were indifferent towards, really stuck out that night. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 11:54:10 AM »

That's pretty similar to my experience.   Songs like Wendy, Please Let Me Wonder, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, and All This is That that I'd passed over, or were indifferent towards, really stuck out that night. 

Really interesting. Was it the experience of seeing the all guys come together that made this change of perception of the deeper cuts? And/or was the live music just that good?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 11:56:40 AM »

Really interesting. Was it the experience of seeing the all guys come together that made this change of perception of the deeper cuts? And/or was the live music just that good?

I think it was the combination of the two, but probably mostly the live music that somehow made those songs catch my ear when I didn't notice them before. 
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 12:28:22 PM »

Selling my complete collection of original vinyl when the twofers were released in '90.

I still feel sick when I about it.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 12:36:27 PM »

I think it was the combination of the two, but probably mostly the live music that somehow made those songs catch my ear when I didn't notice them before. 
That sounds so much like my experience as well. I saw the C50 tour in NY in May 2012. I knew about 3/4ths of the setlist already, but it was the deep cuts that really got to me. Add Some Music To Your Day was really the standout (hence the screenname I chose when I registered here). I'd never heard it before... in fact, up in the cheap seats I couldn't pin down the refrain and thought they were singing a song called "Dancehall Music".  LOL  The harmonies were just incredible, and I loved the visual of all the BBs singing and interacting around Brian's piano on that song.

From there I started diving deep into the late 60s and 1970s catalog, and was wild about what I heard. Caught maybe half-a-dozen Brian and Mike/Bruce shows since then. No regrets here; late to the party but very glad to have made it at all.

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 12:39:51 PM »

It's a tough question but I think it's about hearing the music played live.  My dad (a jazz musician) would say that you just can't replicate the sound of a live band with a big horn section blasting.  I think there's something similar with BB songs - even though a lot of the recordings are sublime, there's nothing like hearing all those voices and instruments come together live.  For me, hearing those songs performed live helped me hear more of the beauty in them.  

I realize that's not the most satisfying answer, but it's the best I can do...

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 12:48:44 PM »

Ahhh!   LOL

Regrets?  I've had a few.  Missing the 50th anniversary tour for sure...as I have never had the chance to catch David with the group.

Highlights though...KaBOOOM/KaBANNNG!!!

1. A.  The Beggars' Banquet Mini-Festival Concert in Toronto/Borough of York Stadium.  Met the boys...left and lunched with Carl. [circa June 1971]  Awesome performance.  I got to tell all my friends who went..."I told you so!!!"
1. B.  The original BWP SMiLE tour back in October 2004 at Massey Hall in Toronto.  The MOST MOVING BB-related concert ever...by a dozen miles.
2.  Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE at Place Des Arts in Montreal...and who sits down right beside me?  Melinda !!!  [August 2005]...an even better performance.  [by a notch]
3.  The 3 Beach Boys shows in Toronto [C.N.E. x 2, Canada's Wonderland...mid 80s to mid 90s] and 1 in Winnipeg [Winnipeg Arena July '82] that I was fortunate enough to M.C.
4.  Catching Brian and, separately, the Beach Boys WITH CARL at umpteen shows in Toronto, Kitchener, Detroit and West Palm Beach down in FLA over the stretch of every decade that they've performed live...and seldom being disappointed.
5.  Brian's 50th anniversay salute to Pet Sounds last fall in Kitchener.  Just to experience it all LIVE...one last time in a building filled with folks who love it every bit as much as I do.  Perfection.  LIVE!!!

Then Last ... Seeing the Beach Boys play Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto when I was 13...I think it was either the late summer or early fall of 1965...so likely September.  I remember I wanted entirely more than they served up musically speaking and wondering why they were still playing junky covers like Monster Mash?!?!?  Roll Eyes  I remained a fan in spite of it but my dislike for a certain member ...the go go dancer... was further underlined that day.  I guess that would be a regret as well as a highlight.  I was starting to think that I was pretty cool and that he most assuredly wasn't.  I generally don't count it as all that memorable.  I was SO disappointed that Brian wasn't there that I wanted my money back.  I DO recall that they didn't wear their silly striped shirts though which was a bit of a bonus.  They all dressed alike but it was like nothing discernible.  A faint recollection from 53 years ago folks.

Highlights out distance regrets by TONS.

Other regrets?

Smiley Smile.  [although I will admit that the album included 2 of their greatest hit singles ever...after the fact mind you.  Had to put 'em somewhere.  [Rab called it "creepy"...I agree]
15 Bigguns/Love You.  [Brian was assuredly NOT back.  Too much fanfare for so little in the way of output.  [A couple of decent songs between the 2 albums.  Maybe 3]
Summer in Paradise.  [From a horse's ass directly to my turntable.  Just awful crap.]

But then those 3 albums are either pummeled, or at the very least offset, by the rest of the catalogue which ranges all the way from O.K. to good to great to mind-blowingly outstanding.   Cool Guy

---------------------------------------------------
By the way...YES "3 albums".  Summer in Pee doesn't count as an album.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 12:58:54 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 01:02:56 PM »

Selling my collection is a big one. Cry

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 01:41:41 PM »

No.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 02:43:13 PM »

I'm gonna be honest with you man. I went to the Wilson/Beck show in St. Augustine, and it was the one BW or BB show that I really maybe don't think was all that worth it. Granted, it was cool to hear "Old Folks At Home/Ol' Man River" and I liked the Wilson/Beck "Danny Boy" but I must admit that David Marks singing "Little Bird" really didn't mean much of anything to me. It's cool I suppose, but whatever.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »

Oh, for sure. In spite of meeting all of them on numerous occasions, I fully regret that I, like Rab, missed the 50th. And they were in my town. I wanted to go if only to witness the more plentiful accolades Brian received as opposed to myKe luHv. HOWEVER, my deepest and most heartfelt regret is that for some reason, I failed to see them in '64 or '65 with Brian performing at his on stage peak.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 04:50:33 PM »

I'm gonna be honest with you man. I went to the Wilson/Beck show in St. Augustine, and it was the one BW or BB show that I really maybe don't think was all that worth it. Granted, it was cool to hear "Old Folks At Home/Ol' Man River" and I liked the Wilson/Beck "Danny Boy" but I must admit that David Marks singing "Little Bird" really didn't mean much of anything to me. It's cool I suppose, but whatever.

That was one tour I had absolutely no interest in. Actually Brian probably wouldn’t disagree with me vehemently. Just an odd pairing...Beck Hansen might have been a better pick than that overrated prick Jeff Beck

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 05:47:06 PM »

I regret that Rocky doesn't visit anymore.  Must be incarcerated...
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 05:55:39 PM »

Will you be a character witness? LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 06:41:10 PM »

I think the Beck version of CITFOTM / Surf's Up would've been worth my admission ticket. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 09:16:48 PM »

No.

Well I tell you, I do. I do.

Cry
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 09:52:09 PM »

Feeling black and blue?

Every wave is new until it breaks.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 11:47:19 PM »

I regret that I was born 9 months after Carl died.... so it naturally goes without saying that I missed out seeing him live... such is life.

But really, I regret not seeing Brian, Al & Blondie when they came to Melbourne.... though the fact that I saw the Boys during the C50 tour by and large makes up for that
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 08:04:15 PM »

I really regret not seeing The Beach Boys when they played Pittsburgh in 1997. Even though Carl was very sick, it would have been worth it seeing him one last time.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx