gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:11:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Remembering Carl  (Read 8298 times)
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2018, 11:52:35 AM »

Every Beach Boys fan knows that tomorrow (Feb. 6, 2018) will mark the 20th anniversary of the passing of The Great Carl Wilson. I'm not trying to be the first to post about this solemn occasion, but my Tuesdays are hectic and there's a chance I'll be so busy I won't have time to post tomorrow.

I hope everyone here will join me and make mention of how much you admired this man who, more than anyone else, was responsible for keeping America's Band relevant and great for close to 35 years.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 12:31:58 PM »

I remember that every time a program on VHI broke for a commercial, or came back from one, there would be a picture of Carl with the words "In Memorium 1946-1998", or something very close to that. They did that the entire day of his passing. This sounds like a cliche, but it really was one of those situations where the world feels a little bit colder. There was definitely a sense that somebody really important....irreplaceable, was gone. I knew on that day that The Beach Boys were no more, and would never recover from this.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 12:35:10 PM »

He is so deeply missed.  It's wonderful that his "angel" voice lives on for so many, and "Forever".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 12:46:22 PM »

I cannot believe it's been 20 years already, and that'd he'd be 71. I can't picture Carl in his 70s, and I can't fathom we lost him so long ago.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 12:59:20 PM »

It seems so long ago, but at the same time it's like it happened yesterday. I'm trying to picture what the group would be like today if he were still here.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 01:41:35 PM »

I can’t even begin to imagine. Would band relations have been better or would they somehow been worse?

Whatever it would’ve been though it’d all be worth it so hear him sing God Only Knows just one more time

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 02:11:00 PM »

20th anniversary just days after some sh!tty show at an ostrich festival announcement. Thank god he and Dennis didn’t live to see how bad the groups name has been tainted over the last 20 years.

RIP
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 02:12:26 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 03:29:12 PM »

20th anniversary just days after some sh!tty show at an ostrich festival announcement. Thank god he and Dennis didn’t live to see how bad the groups name has been tainted over the last 20 years.

RIP

While that statement is true on some level, I've gotta believe Carl would not approve.  If half the posters on this board possessed a fraction of the kindness, humility and forgiving nature of Carl Wilson, this board would be a better place.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 05:14:13 PM »

I found out right before I left for work that day. My friend Ron called to give me the bad news. He had no idea what he was about to say to me was going to screw with my head for the whole time I was at work. "Hey one of the Beach Boys died," he said to me. "Yeah Dennis died back in '83", I said. "No one of his brothers died today, not Brian." (my friend didn't know alot about the group...but he knew I was a huge fan and had to call me. He heard the news on our local oldies station B101.5). I didn't know Carl was sick and I was so shocked and bummed out. I really admired Carl. I was 12 when I first saw the American Band video back in the 80s and I thought he was the coolest and most down to earth member of the band.  I was lucky enough to see one Carl Wilson BBs concert back in 1992 and it was Carl who I was the most excited to see and hear (the band did an amazing show that night, everyone sounded great, but Carl sounded the greatest). Sad day in music. What an amazing human being and what an incredible talent he was.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 05:35:34 PM »

I did not get emotionally invested in the Beach Boys until 1998. So at the time I wasn't heart broken. However, as I have learned more about the band, Carl is probably my favorite Beach Boy. Definitely vocally and as a human being! I am bummed that I never got to see him live.

As for what the Beach Boys would be today, we have to remember that Full House, Summer in Paradise, etc had already happened. He was more concerned with keeping everyone happy than leading. But I don't think Al would have gotten fired. I am curious what would have happened with Brian. Carl had voted down doing Pet Sounds live or some of his new songs. Would Brian have gone solo? Would Carl eventually accept Brian's newer songs? I don't now.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »

I remember reading about it in our local newspaper and being deeply saddened. I was a fan of the Beach Boys but hadn't known that Carl was sick. Remembering that Dennis had died earlier I felt badly for Brian as he was now the only Wilson left.
I'll be going on a Carl binge tomorrow, listening to as many of the songs he wrote or sang lead on as possible.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2018, 08:29:19 PM »

I don't like to commerate dates of demise, preferring to celebrate birthdays instead. Hard to believe it's been 20 years that we've been without Carl.

I still love and miss the man -- he was finest kind. Carl Wilson never met a stranger, as the old saying goes.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 01:38:59 AM »

I don't like to commemorate dates of demise, preferring to celebrate birthdays instead.
You're VERY right, Em. I'd like it if some kind creature explained exactly WHY people celebrate the death anniversary. I really truly can't fathom it. It's bizarre in every level. It's as if people really like downers, being reminded of sad events, even reading it typed doesn't make sense.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 05:15:20 AM »

Mari, we are commemorating, not celebrating. Big difference.
The 20th anniversary of Carl's death is a milestone and we wish to honor his memory. It's sad but we also remember the happy things, the joy Carl gave and continues to give to us.

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 06:47:34 AM »

The 20th anniversary of Carl's death is a milestone and we wish to honor his memory. It's sad but we also remember the happy things, the joy Carl gave and continues to give to us.
But isn't it enough to honor one's memory celebrating their birthday? What's date of death got to do with it? I just find it bizarre that people would choose to "remember happy things", "the joy" at the sad date, when [artist's name] died. It doesn't look right. I don't mean to address the OP but generally don't understand this tradition. You didn't really explain it well, Liz. I'd like to get to the bottom of this, as I'm very curious about things I fail to understand.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 06:54:51 AM »

But isn't it enough to honor one's memory celebrating their birthday? What's date of death got to do with it? I just find it bizarre that people would choose to "remember happy things", "the joy" at the sad date, when [artist's name] died. It doesn't look right. I don't mean to address the OP but generally don't understand this tradition. You didn't really explain it well, Liz. I'd like to get to the bottom of this, as I'm very curious about things I fail to understand.

The thing about death anniversaries is that they can conjure up memories of the day of the person's passing, and of course when one passed, that's usually a prime time to look back at all of the great ways they've impacting your life. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 08:42:55 AM »

Guess it's a cultural thing. Where I live the dead are honored. All Saints Day, November 1, is a city holiday. On that day and the following, All Souls Day, people go and visit the graves of their departed loved ones, bringing flowers, sprucing up the grave sites. It's often not a sorrowful occasion but when family share memories.
And we believe that our loved ones' spirits are still around, laughing with the rest of us.
There can be a tinge of sadness particularly if the person died at a relatively young age, as Carl did.

Manfred
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 08:54:42 AM »

If anybody likes to listen to my song about him, here it is:

https://soundcloud.com/user-397643104/cdw-we-miss-you-tm-manfred-schmidt

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2018, 10:46:17 AM »

This is a sad day for fans and obviously a much, much more difficult day for Carl's family.  I hope they take comfort in knowing how much he means to people and just how deeply loved and respected he is by his fans. 
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 11:19:09 AM »

Very late to the BBs party, but I love his voice so much. Thanks for all the wonderful music, Carl!

Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 10:44:09 AM »

Mike said this about Carl today, on his Facebook page :

"I can't believe it's been 20 years since we lost Carl, an angel among men, and a friend to all. We miss you everyday my dear cousin, your voice, love for others and gentle spirit lives on in the hearts and minds of many.
We Love you always,"

Mike
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 11:32:29 AM »

I wonder if Carl's impact will truly ever be known. I mean, you hear a LOT of artists talk about seeing either Elvis, or The Beatles on Sullivan, and that being the definitive moment for them to want to be a musician. But how many future guitar players heard the riff off Surfin' USA or the Intro to Fun, Fun, Fun, and said "that's what I want to do". Was this dude maybe more of a pioneer than he gets credit for? How many came before him, in a 'band' setting, that stretched out on lead? Yes Chuck and Buddy, and any number of guys were playing rock guitar, but in a group setting? I bet he influenced a lot of young guitar players.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 11:44:09 PM »

I wonder if Carl's impact will truly ever be known. I mean, you hear a LOT of artists talk about seeing either Elvis, or The Beatles on Sullivan, and that being the definitive moment for them to want to be a musician. But how many future guitar players heard the riff off Surfin' USA or the Intro to Fun, Fun, Fun, and said "that's what I want to do". Was this dude maybe more of a pioneer than he gets credit for? How many came before him, in a 'band' setting, that stretched out on lead? Yes Chuck and Buddy, and any number of guys were playing rock guitar, but in a group setting? I bet he influenced a lot of young guitar players.
Been playing the first 2 albums in the car this week, there is a lot of great guitar playing on those records!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2019, 02:44:55 PM »

Slaap zacht, lieve Carl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXxe1ZEntjA

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2019, 03:34:06 PM »

RIP

w00t! w00t! w00t! I'm fairly certain that Carl, had he not passed away, would have never let that have happened.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx