gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:42:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike & Bruce 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 24176 times)
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: February 17, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »

In response to the bass player question...I don't think The Beach Boys have EVER had an above average bass player on stage. The fact that they found Bruce's bass playing acceptable in 1965 is enough proof of how little they cared about it. Now that being said, Brian Wilson has written some of the greatest bass lines to grace popular recordings...but that has nothing to do with the bass guitar as an instrument, that is purely based on harmony.

So in recent years? One certainly doesn't stand out over the other. The only virtuosic players to grace Mike's band in the past twenty years have been Totten & Cowsill. We'll never see Mike cast them aside. The operation would crumble instantly.

The bass playing on The In Concert album is above average.  Ed Carter was above average on the bass.  So was Blondie.  Bruce is also better than you give him credit for.

I always wondered why Ed departed from the band in the 90s. He definitely seemed like an excellent musician who had played with them for decades, and I never heard about any interpersonal problems with anyone else.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 17, 2018, 01:53:13 PM »

Same here Eric. Would love to hear the story as to why both Eddie and Billy left; if it was either of their decisions, or a cost cutting move by the principles.....which I kind of find hard to fathom because of the good relationships both Carl and Al had with them.
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 17, 2018, 04:29:10 PM »

In response to the bass player question...I don't think The Beach Boys have EVER had an above average bass player on stage. The fact that they found Bruce's bass playing acceptable in 1965 is enough proof of how little they cared about it. Now that being said, Brian Wilson has written some of the greatest bass lines to grace popular recordings...but that has nothing to do with the bass guitar as an instrument, that is purely based on harmony.

So in recent years? One certainly doesn't stand out over the other. The only virtuosic players to grace Mike's band in the past twenty years have been Totten & Cowsill. We'll never see Mike cast them aside. The operation would crumble instantly.

The bass playing on The In Concert album is above average.  Ed Carter was above average on the bass.  So was Blondie.  Bruce is also better than you give him credit for.

You're right about "In Concert". I shouldn't have slighted Ed Carter, or even Blondie. But we'll have to agree to disagree on Bruce!

Fair enough but have you seen this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qJZIQmiQETM

Cheesy
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 17, 2018, 04:59:16 PM »

You're right about "In Concert". I shouldn't have slighted Ed Carter, or even Blondie. But we'll have to agree to disagree on Bruce!

Cheesy

Yesssss I was waiting for this to be posted. This is the pinnacle of music in the last century. Seriously.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 17, 2018, 06:10:38 PM »

Cheesy

LOL   Yes, that being the pinnacle of my viewpoint!  LOL
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx