gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:42:52 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike & Bruce 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 24192 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2018, 04:01:22 PM »

I hope it was worth it for Ike to desert the BW band... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2018, 04:08:46 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjNN1Qo2S7Y

"This is a song we did on Full House...".

No mention of Dennis. Pictures of Stamos' wedding in the background. I really hate to join in on the bashing, but man, this is painful stuff. What a shitty time to be a "Beach Boys" fan.
This is NOT the BBs....

The Beach Boys are Brian Wilson, Carl Wilson, Dennis Wilson, Al Jardine, and Mike Love....( Give or take David, Bruce, Blondie, and Ricky)......

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2018, 04:27:06 PM »

Holy sh*t that was rough. Mike and Bruce both look like they've aged ten years since August. John Cowsill are Scott Totten are the only redeeming qualities I can find in this video.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2018, 04:31:34 PM »

No mention of Dennis. Pictures of Stamos' wedding in the background. I really hate to join in on the bashing, but man, this is painful stuff. What a shitty time to be a "Beach Boys" fan.

Ya know, I have to pass on a comment I saw on Reddit last month. It was the top comment for a top post on the fourth most popular website in the world. The post was about someone jumping out of an airplane into their wedding, top comment was:

Dangerous move man. Remember that episode of Full House when Uncle Jesse did this and landed in a tomato truck? Then he went to jail and Danny had to bail him out. Wedding could’ve been a disaster but then he played the piano and sang “Forever” to Aunt Becky and everyone was like, Aww, and sort of just forgot about the dumb ass skydiving incident.

Okay, its a hilarious comment because it showcases the idiocy that Full House was. But right there is the biggest slap in the face to one of Dennis Wilson’s most touching songs. Full House/John Stamos took a really heartfelt song and used it in a sitcom episode where he skydives into a damn tomato truck. Okay, whatever, happened decades ago, right?

But now that SAME episode is being touted as the main draw for this song....AT A “BEACH BOYS” CONCERT. I can’t even let that sink in because its so remarkably stupid. Not to mention that Reddit comment (being upvoted by thousands and viewed by millions) above goes to show how much people remember that show and the song “Forever” being played after Uncle Jesse skydives into a tomoto truck. What a legacy this is becoming!
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:35:04 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2018, 06:03:40 PM »

Though fullhouseplage would defend it... Roll Eyes

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2018, 06:20:23 PM »

It's an inconsistent performance. Some things sound good, some not. Boring set list.  Mike's bass parts sounded great, but he struggled with some leads. Dance X 3 and Rhonda ( which he shouldn't be signing anyway)  Foskett really seemed to be struggling too. Hopefully early in the tour and they will even it out.  Sloop John B sounded particularly awful. It sounded like the entire band was trying to sing the lead at the same time.

EDIT The tag to GOK is absolutely dreadful.  I have no idea what sound Mike is making .
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 06:30:29 PM by tpesky » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2018, 07:23:06 PM »

I'm a huge fan of the current touring group, but I will agree this particular performance sounded rough. I wish Randell would have sung Don't Worry Baby instead of Foskett. I like his take on that song better.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2018, 09:45:43 PM »

Am I the only one that is super stoked that Randell is back?? Also happy that Christian is back as well. Brian E was good, but I liked Randell's leads better. And hearing Christian back in the vocal blend is great! Didn't realize how much I missed his voice in the blend after he left.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2018, 10:42:46 PM »

Am I the only one that is super stoked that Randell is back?? Also happy that Christian is back as well. Brian E was good, but I liked Randell's leads better. And hearing Christian back in the vocal blend is great! Didn't realize how much I missed his voice in the blend after he left.
I think the blend will probably improve. Ike was good but very bland. Christian is also my third favorite person to sing God Only Knows, behind Carl(of course) and Brian. I'd rather have a live vocal than Carl on video too. Mike needs to stop trying to sing along with the falsetto part at the end of GOK though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ4pb9iykV0
rickymyfataar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2018, 11:19:51 PM »

The opening montage is pretty cool. Does anyone know which concert  is at 1.33?  It looks like 1973 to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3kgt_4nc0E
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2018, 05:15:07 AM »

I actually preferred Ike's vocals to Randell's in most cases. Honestly, neither of them are all that thrilling...and Christian Love is about the most boring individual I've ever seen grace a stage.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2018, 07:22:15 AM »

Christian has no stage presence, but his voice sounds remarkably like Carl.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 12, 2018, 08:49:56 AM »

I must say, they sound dreadful! Bruce's cracking voice, Loverster, off key, and the other guys not sounding much better. Sad to say, Stamos may actually sound the best of this group. Maybe Christian wanted back in,  so Mikey cut Ike? Who knows, but Ike had the best voice of the whole crew. Sad times for sure.

P.S.

I find it hilarious, and sad, all the times Stamos switches inaudible guitars. This guy s wants to be a rock start.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 12, 2018, 09:15:57 AM »

It'll be interesting to see if both Kirsche and Christian Love are back permanently. I figure Kirsche probably is (unless he's a temporary replacement until they find a permanent one), as Eichenberger indeed updated his page on February 2nd to show that he is no longer in the band.

What seems a bit strange is that one of Mike's supposed issues with C50 (certainly with keeping such a band going long-term) was the size and cost of such a large band. Many pointed out Mike much preferred his lean, cheap seven-man lineup for his tour dates.

But he's now up to NINE full-time touring members (assuming Christian is back for the foreseeable future), and when Stamos is there it's TEN members.

It'll be interesting to see if Christian Love is back just to beef up the sound, or if someone else in the band is on their way out. It'll also be interesting to see if one of the other members will move over to bass, because I'm not sure the "Mike Model" of touring requires Foskett, Totten, *and* Christian Love all on guitar and vocals, along with Kirsche on bass and vocals.

Or, I suppose it's possible Christian Love was just popping in to guest (although, has he done that since 2014?).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 12, 2018, 09:21:14 AM »

Goodbye Brian
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 12, 2018, 09:58:55 AM »

Goodbye Brian

Goodbye.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 12, 2018, 10:15:15 AM »

Has anyone ever confirmed Stamos' guitar being inaudible? Because in that recent Mardi Gras show, in between songs he strummed his guitar which produced sound. Although, I always assumed he was inaudible.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2018, 10:30:55 AM »

Best if his guitar, voice and drums were inaudible
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: February 12, 2018, 10:37:07 AM »

Yeah, credit where its due...He sang that really well.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 12, 2018, 11:44:16 AM »

Mike tweeted that Brian left the road because he is going to be a first time Dad soon.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2018, 12:22:08 PM »

Great guy too.

Mike tweeted that Brian left the road because he is going to be a first time Dad soon.
Congrats to Brian!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
lastofmykind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2018, 03:32:31 PM »

Christian's voice really helps to fill out the middle third in my opinion.  I'm so glad he is back, just wish he had more vox to sing lead on.  Did anyone else hear the vocal stacking on Why Do Fools Fall In Love, the band has 2 legitimate and excellent falsetto singers and yet "Scotty T" and his thin falsetto take the lead on it.  Sounded awful!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2018, 01:21:05 AM »

Announced in Florida. Turns out Stamos has just got married and they are expecting.

https://www.today.com/popculture/john-stamos-caitlin-mchugh-celebrate-1-week-marriage-disney-t122983

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 13, 2018, 01:30:29 AM »

Christian's voice really helps to fill out the middle third in my opinion.  I'm so glad he is back, just wish he had more vox to sing lead on.  Did anyone else hear the vocal stacking on Why Do Fools Fall In Love, the band has 2 legitimate and excellent falsetto singers and yet "Scotty T" and his thin falsetto take the lead on it.  Sounded awful!

In the past, it was Scott and Jeff doing a tandem lead. I think that before that, it was Scott and Randell doing a tandem lead (going by memory). I think that attempting this as a solo lead would be a daunting task for anybody, and I give Scott props for trying, and doing fairly well in my book. To be honest, even Brian Wilson's lead on the studio recording sounded iffy to me from first listen.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 01:31:38 AM by Eric Aniversario » Logged
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 13, 2018, 03:07:51 AM »

He talks about decency being at an all-time low, but he has he considered his own actions when appropriating the song by Dennis Wilson, without credit, and who was the very soul of the Beach Boys?
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx