gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:15:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which band's output do you prefer in 1968?
The Beach Boys - 11 (39.3%)
The Beatles - 17 (60.7%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968: The Beach Boys vs. The Beatles  (Read 6777 times)
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 02:07:03 PM »

One of the things I love most about the Beatles and the Beach Boys is the diversity and sheer volume of their catalogues. At any given moment there's a Beatles or Beach Boys song or album that I could enjoy. The Beach Boys, alone, have numerous albums that are one-of-a-kind. I celebrate that. It doesn't surprise me in the least that someone could prefer Smiley Smile or Wild Honey to Magical Mystery Tour or Sgt Peppers. They are totally different and when you're in the mood for one nothing else will do. Same for Friends and The Beatles. In this spirit, 1968 is the easiest year for me. It's the nearly 2 hours worth of music released by the Beatles! This isn't strictly an album vs album thread. Its about the total yearly output. So, in other words, the individual songs, themselves. I didn't punish the Beach Boys for releasing "filler" tracks, so I'm not going to punish the Beatles either. After all, who has final say on what's filler or not? I love a lot of songs that are casually dismissed by many people as filler, but I'm sure as hell glad that I get to enjoy them! I think it's fair to say that perhaps the '63-66 Beach Boys had higher highs, but lower lows. That the Beatles were more consistent. In the late 60's the tables turn to an extent.

As much as I love Friends (and I love it more every day), the Beatles were simply too prolific in 1968. Furthermore, if I had to choose, The Beatles is probably my favorite Beatles album. So, there's that... Wink
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:16:13 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 10:44:21 PM »

Revolution 9 is better than half of Friends. Just saying...

You forgot to miss the 'g' off of 'saying'.

It's not passive aggressive unless you do that, you kno
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 12:24:30 AM »

Revolution 9 is better than half of Friends. Just saying...

Personal opinion, but I strongly disagree! Part of it stems from the fact that Friends (along with WH and 20/20) is my favorite BB album (WH may surpass it now with the stereo mix), part of it stems from the fact that I just don't "get" Revolution 9.

I think Friends is fairly underrated. Though I know some would call it overrated haha.

Billy, do you think a stereo remix of Friends would edge it past Wild Honey in your ranking?
. Good question. It might, as Friends was my favorite before the Sunshine Tomorrow release(s), but Honey rocks like a motherfucker now. It’s like me asking myself which one of my kidneys I prefer LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 05:23:51 AM »

The result:
The Beach Boys 11 votes
The Beatles 17 votes

The winner is The Beatles.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 09:05:24 AM »

I don’t think I ever voted on this one. It is almost too close to call, there are so many good Beatles tracks on White Album. But Friends, I feel, is Brian’s continuation of a Pet Sounds storyline, and it’s an album I would prefer to take to a desert island over White Album.

So not that it matters, but The Beach Boys for ‘68.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2018, 09:45:42 AM »

The year I turned 21 and was in the Army. I remember going to "White Album" parties and singing some of the tunes. It's always been my go to Beatles LP, but Friends was my guilty pleasure album. It has to factored in that if one tried to slip that one on and got caught doing so, there was something terribly wrong with you. I can hear those moans and boos like it was yesterday. It was all good, though, and quite honestly, the Beatles were hitting their zenith. Tie.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2018, 10:06:54 AM »

The year I turned 21 and was in the Army. I remember going to "White Album" parties and singing some of the tunes. It's always been my go to Beatles LP, but Friends was my guilty pleasure album. It has to factored in that if one tried to slip that one on and got caught doing so, there was something terribly wrong with you. I can hear those moans and boos like it was yesterday. It was all good, though, and quite honestly, the Beatles were hitting their zenith. Tie.

Moans and boos for playing The Beach Boys in ‘68 - man that’s depressing!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2018, 10:28:56 AM »

Adding this one up:

1968 for the Beatles had all of this going for them, at least for me as a fan.

One of my all-time favorite songs of all time:
- Martha My Dear

Several of my favorite all-time Lennon songs and recordings:
- I'm So Tired
- Dear Prudence
- Revolution (the single version B-side)
- Cry Baby Cry
- Sexy Sadie
- Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey

Several of my favorite all-time McCartney songs and recordings:
- Hey Jude
- Mother Nature's Son
- Blackbird

Several of my favorite George Harrison songs and recordings:
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps
- Long Long Long
- Savoy Truffle
- The Inner Light

A song written by John and sung by Ringo that has become a lot more personal to me recently, I guess as I get older and all that:
- Good Night (the alternate take on Anthology with the George Martin orchestral overture was *stunning*)

These are among my go-to songs, not just the ones listed but others from '68 too, songs which I lived with and will start playing and singing if I grab a guitar for fun.

I had a set of two 8-tracks when I was little of the White Album. Unfortunately tape 1 snagged in the machine and broke, so all I had was volume 2. And Revolution 9 scared the hell out of me, lol.

Then for my 12th birthday, I got the White Album on vinyl, Capitol reissue from the 80's with all the posters and whatnot. Ironically on the first spin of the second disc, I accidentally biffed the tonearm and it landed on (and proceeded to create a gash) on Revolution 9. So I could not play that full track on my vinyl anyway. I still have it.

And also, Hey Jude was one of the first songs I remember as a really little kid and music lover that my dad took me to a record store and he thought I'd like to have a record with the song. So we went to the Beatles section, and there was an album with the Union Jack on the cover that said Beatles and Hey Jude, so we thought that was the one. Turns out it was the "Longines Symphonette Plays The Beatles" or something  Grin. I mean, I liked it as a 5 year old or whatever but it wasn't The Beatles. Still have that one too.

So for 1968, a lot of my choices and opinions have personal connections, and I'll go with The Beatles.

Yes, Friends is amazing, but it's too good to be so short of an album and has a few clunkers that could have been dumped and replaced with stronger material IMO. Do It Again is one of the best radio singles of all time, with an amazing groove, several sublime production touches like Dennis pulling back on the beat ever so slightly for the bridge, and of course Stephen Desper's drum intro which is one of the coolest damn sounds ever recorded... Smiley

But for sheer volume of goodness and personal connections...1968 goes to The Beatles. And it really is hard to comprehend in 2018 how massive of a song and influence the single "Hey Jude" really was, worldwide.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2018, 02:43:09 PM »

OSD survive the super bowl? Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2018, 05:51:24 PM »

Watched it again last night and will watch it again tonight on the NFL channel. Parade is Thursday with 2+ million expected.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2018, 06:46:42 AM »

Watched it again last night and will watch it again tonight on the NFL channel. Parade is Thursday with 2+ million expected.
You going? w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2018, 06:55:35 AM »

SB, I wouldn't stand a chance of getting near Broad Street or the Art Museum plus we've got some icy conditions going on with heavy rain on it's way. Gonna watch it in the cozy confines of the man cave. What a game, huh?

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2018, 10:08:55 AM »

One of my all-time favorite songs of all time:
- Martha My Dear

Several of my favorite all-time McCartney songs and recordings:
- Hey Jude
[...]

Several of my favorite George Harrison songs and recordings:

- Savoy Truffle
- The Inner Light

And it really is hard to comprehend in 2018 how massive of a song and influence the single "Hey Jude" really was, worldwide.
Cool taste. 3D These stay big favorites since 2010. 3D Slade did great "Martha" cover. It's in youtube. I find "Savoy Truffle" comparable with "Taxman" but think "Savoy" sways "Tax'" by thousand miles! & you bet when you talk about "Hey Jude" being influential. Really iconic video with Paul playing piano looking at people around the world. Many folk bored by "naaa-na-na-nanananaaaa-nanananaaa-yeeeah". Russian Beatles fans hugely like the bit. The way they're strangely obsessed by Mariska Veres' voice in general & song "Venus" by Shocking Blue. Brow

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx