gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:33:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Week in BB History Feb 5-15  (Read 1216 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 07, 2018, 02:13:45 PM »

Feb 8 1962-The BBs recorded Surfin Safari, an early version of Surfer Girl, Judy and Karate at World Pacific Studios. Feb 10 1962-The BBs probably appeared on the KRLA TV-Dance Party TV Show filmed at the Long Beach Municipal Auditorium-with Frankie Avalon, The Surfmen, Gene McDaniels, Bobby Rydell and others.  See the Murphy book to see discussion about this.  Soon after this appearance, Al seems to have decided to leave the band. However he seems to have still been a BB when they played in San Diego on Feb 19 and 20 (he recalled these appearances on the 1989 Endless Summer show), so maybe those were his last 1962 shows.  There is no real evidence to back up Badman's assertion that the BBs played as a four-piece band at the Rainbow Gardens (indeed there is no firm evidence that they played that venue at all in February).

Feb 9 1963-The BBs worked on "The Ballad of Ol Betsy" a favorite of Mike's. That same day, and the day after as well, they played at the Rod & Custom Car Show in Los Angeles. On Feb 11 1963 they held a session where they recorded the tracks for Misirlou, The Noble Surfer, Honky Tonk, Lets Go Trippin and vocals for Farmers Daughter and Lana.  The next day they worked on Stoked, Surf Jam and Finders Keepers.  On February 15 1963 they played at the Hawthorne HS Valentines Dance. Dennis injured his leg that month and Dave’s friend Mark Groseclose sat in on drums.  We had a photo from that show in our book. The next day the BBs played the KFWB Charity Show with Bobby Vinton, Ann Margaret, Chris Montez and others at the LA Sport Arena.

Feb 8 1964-The BBs played at the Pavalon Skating Rink in Huntington Beach, CA.  Feb 12 1964-It's possible that Brian recorded his vocal for  "Don’t Worry Baby” on this date (based on a notation on the tapebox).
Feb 16 1964-Brian attended a Jan and Dean session at United Recorders- and added backing vocals for "Ride the Wild Surf". Tapes of this session exist and Mark Moore has a transcript in his book.

Feb 12, 1965-The BBs played the Convention Hall in Philadelphia with Brian, who'd agreed to fill in for Glen for a week on this important east coast tour, which included big concerts in Philly and New York City. I have a photo of the band backstage, which I will put on my blog one day. The next day they played at the Academy of Music in NYC. Hit Parader Magazine interviewed Brian and took photos at this show (many are on the Getty Archives).  When a reporter asked him if he considered his records artistic or commercial, Brian answered “Five years ago there may have been a gap between the two, but not today.  Take Dionne Warwick.  Her records are obviously commercial because they sell, but they’re also very lovely.  Phil Spector is great.  It’s much easier to be expressive in a record nowadays.” Speaking about New York City, Brian said, “I don’t think I could live here” and quoted from a then popular song “New York’s a lonely place when you’re the only surfer boy around.” The next day the BBs played a Valentines Day show at the Mosque Theater in Newark, NJ. 

Feb 9 1966-The BBs were at Western working on I Know There’s An Answer and Caroline No.  The next day they went to the San Diego Zoo to take the LP cover photos. Feb 11 1966-The BBs worked on Don't Talk
Feb 14 1966-work was done on I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times and the next day they worked on ‘That’s Not Me’.  On Feb 16 1966-they worked on Wouldn’t It Be Nice, You Still Believe In me, and I Know There's An Answer.  During the sessions, Bruce went and met Elvis who was recording nearby.

Feb 7 1967-The Bbs were at Columbia Studio to work on Heroes and Villains, including vocals for the Cantina section.  On Feb 9 1967-Brian worked on Teeter Totter Love with Jasper Dailey).  The next day overdubs were done on You Are My Sunshine. The BBs weren't at that session, as they'd embarked on a tour with ? and Mysterians, Keith, Electric Prunes, and The Left Banke.  They played in Miami that night and in St. Petersburg on the 11th.  The reviewer at that show stated, "An interesting note of the evening was that the lesser groups all either had long hair or wild clothes, while the famous Beach Boys were a group of clean cut young men simply attired” The BBs still had relatively short hair and striped shirts on this tour. This clean-cut image would eventually become a problem for the group in the era of Jimi Hendrix and the Jefferson Airplane.   

The BBs played Jacksonville on the 12th, while held another Jasper Daily session for "Crack The Whip," and "When I Get Mad I Just Play My Drums." On Feb 14 1967-the BBs played Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro. They probably played somewhere on Feb 15, 1967 but I've yet to locate it.  Brian was in LA working on Heroes and Villains (The Prelude to Fade section). On Feb 16 1967 the BBs played in Evansville, IN, while Brian worked on “piano theme” for Heroes and Villains at Western.

Feb 7, 1969 the BBs began a tour of Texas with the Bob Segar System, Rene and Rene and Joe Hicks in San Antonio, TX.  A newspaper reported the following year that Dennis had discussed letting Charles M open for the BBs in this tour but his terms of parole prevented it.  Wow! The next day the BBs played in Houston and then in Dallas and Fort Worth on Feb 9. They played Corpus Christi on February 10 but by this time Dennis had "got sick" and missed this and rest of the Texas shows. Backstage Al admitted, “hits don’t come as easily as they did only a few years ago when members of the group were in their teens and could relate to their audience on an equal-age basis.” The BBs were in Austin on Feb 11 and Waco on Feb 12, 1969.  If Dennis was truly ill, he made a quick recovery and held sessions on Feb 13 and 14 1969 at Sunset Sound for "Got to Know the Woman."

Feb 3-14 1970-Little Richard appeared at the Coconut Grove- some BBs attended one night and invited him to Brian’s and Mike apparently acted a little odd.  Gaines stated in his book that he was overdoing a fast and this caused him to have some mental difficulties (something Mike confirmed later).  He'd end up sitting out a late February tour and was briefly arrested on Feb 20 for leading cops on a chase (this story made many newspapers).  Feb 14 1970-The BBs appeared on the Something Else TV Show-apparently taped in New Orleans- miming Good Vibrations (a video clip that showed BBs in various places-Mike on a bridge, Dennis kissing a girl-some footage used in Endless Harmony) and Cotton Fields (performance seen in Endless Harmony).  It first aired on this date but may have been taped in January.

Early Feb 1974-Bob Harris and BBC Producer/writer Jeff Griffin were in LA to tape interviews with BBs and family for the fantastic BBC 1 Radio program The Beach Boys Story.  The BBs embarked on another tour on February 14 in Montana and played at Utah State University on Feb 15 1974.  The reviewer noted, “Although the audience seemed to appreciate the groups more recent arrangements, it wasn’t until the group went into such musical milestones as ‘Good Vibrations’, ‘California Girls’ and ‘God Only Knows’ that the crowd hit the ceiling rewarding the group’s efforts with four standing ovations.” This was a standard comment in reviews of this time and frustrated the BBs quite a bit, as they still didn’t view themselves as an “Oldies Act.”

Feb 12 1975-Dennis held a session for Pacific Ocean Blues and Holy Man. Two years later he was still tinkering with the first song-adding overdubs to it on Feb 10 1977. Brian was also busy at that time on Adult Child.  He held a session for Still I Dream of It on Feb 9 1977.  Feb 11 1978 Carl held a session: working on something titled “It Could Be Anything.” Feb 11 1980-The BBs were working on KTSA and tinkered with Brian’s classic unreleased song “Can’t Wait Too Long”.  Three days later work was don on “Living with a Heartache” and “Goin’ On.”

Feb 12 1981 the BBs embarked on a southwest tour with Randy Meisner and The Silverados in Houston.  Bob Claypool of the Houston Post lambasted the group’s poor performance.  He opined that "The Beach Boys have finally crossed the line that separates strong, continuously creative rock groups from the so-so oldies bands, the guys who just don't have anything new to offer anymore...These days the group doesn't even try to do new material, things from their recent albums (unless of course, you count Chuck Berry's ‘School Days’).  Nope they just trot out the oldies, the surf music that made them famous in the 60s...Trouble is they can't even do those warhorses the way they used to.” This was a pretty accurate review for this low-point in the BBs career.  Carl was ready to quit for a while in disgust. The next day they played at UT in Austin and then at LSU on Feb 14 and Reunion Arena in Dallas on Feb 15 1981.

Feb 15-20 1984-The BBs played their first shows since Dennis’ death at Harrah’s in Tahoe.  A year later they played there again from Feb 12 to 14 1985.  Think I’ll stop here.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 03:47:02 AM »

Feb 14 1966-work was done on I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times and the next day they worked on ‘That’s Not Me’.  On Feb 16 1966-they worked on Wouldn’t It Be Nice, You Still Believe In me, and I Know There's An Answer.  During the sessions, Bruce went and met Elvis who was recording nearby.

According to elvisrecordings he was working on the soundtrack to his "Spinout" movie at Radio Recorders. One of the lowpoints of his career. Only two tracks recorded on the 16th are somewhat enjoyable. Frustrated with the material he mostly didn't record live with the band in the studio (as he used to) and only overdubbed some lackluster singing on the previous soundtrack. For the "Spinout"-album though he worked again live with the band. Best thing about the movie: It features some nice guitars.

The mentioned two tracks from Febr. 16th as they appear in the movie:

Stop, look and listen (originally done by Ricky Nelson )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYYYQhCdtgY

Am I ready?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q4uhq8FUQU

Not long after this, in May, Presley would start work on his Grammy award winning Gospel album "How great thou art", his first non-soundtrack work in years.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 03:58:09 AM »

Yeah it's a pretty bad movie and soundtrack and Elvis looks bored
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx