gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:33:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "I'll Bet He's Nice" on HBO's show 'Divorce'  (Read 5659 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 28, 2018, 07:48:07 PM »

I about jumped out of my skull when at the end of HBOs show 'Divorce' "I'll Bet He's Nice" popped on during the credits. I've heard random songs (including some random Beach Boys) but for some reason this one I just couldn't believe.

Happy to hear it, and hopefully this will get the song and the Love You album some much needed props.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 08:22:36 PM »

Dang! Righteous props.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2018, 07:02:35 AM »

The same show used Dennis's "You and I" a little over a year ago.

I sense there are folks behind the scenes finally being able to work hard to make stuff like this happen, to make the *brand* something more than Full House reruns.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 11:20:14 AM »

The same show used Dennis's "You and I" a little over a year ago.

Shoot, you're right. I had forgotten about that.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2018, 11:32:48 AM »

I about jumped out of my skull when at the end of HBOs show 'Divorce' "I'll Bet He's Nice" popped on during the credits. I've heard random songs (including some random Beach Boys) but for some reason this one I just couldn't believe.

Happy to hear it, and hopefully this will get the song and the Love You album some much needed props.
Fantastic!

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 11:37:51 AM »

I just happened to catch it.  What a great moment.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 04:31:14 PM »

Credit to the music supervisors and the teams of people who secure all the rights to use songs in episodes like this, especially when a song fits a scene so well and works. I doubt BRI did much of anything to facilitate placements like this or even the Mad Men episode a few years ago. If producers, directors, or members of a show's creative team want a specific song, they go through the process of securing the rights and paying the fees to use it. It's not usually a case of BRI, or Apple, or other similar corporate entities actively "plugging" songs to be used in TV or film. The music supervisors most often go out and get the songs they want.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 07:10:45 AM »

This ran a few days ago in my nationally syndicated feed. . .

https://1063thefox.com/deep-70s-beach-boys-track-featured-on-hbos-divorce/
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 09:38:15 AM »

This ran a few days ago in my nationally syndicated feed. . .

https://1063thefox.com/deep-70s-beach-boys-track-featured-on-hbos-divorce/

Thanks, Howie!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2018, 10:30:08 AM »

Howie, you are one of my absolute favorite people in Beach Boys fandom and I wish the group would follow more of your wishes.

However, the article does have a mistake in my opinion. The follow sentence is incorrect...

"The tune, which was featured on The Beach Boys Love album, marked the final time Brian Wilson was completely in charge of the material and production of an all-new group album."

This was true until 2012, but isn't it fair to say that That's Why God Made The Radio had Brian in charge?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »

I’d say Joe Thomas was essentially the co-producer on a good hunk if not most of the TWGMTR sessions. I think it was more a PR/political thing to give him the (relatively odd) credit of “Recorded by Joe Thomas” instead of listing him as a co-producer.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2018, 11:03:23 AM »

I’d say Joe Thomas was essentially the co-producer on a good hunk if not most of the TWGMTR sessions. I think it was more a PR/political thing to give him the (relatively odd) credit of “Recorded by Joe Thomas” instead of listing him as a co-producer.

Fair enough.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2018, 11:14:26 AM »

The ironic part is he had less to do with NPP but revived more credit

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 11:25:38 AM »

"....featured on The Beach Boys Love album, marked...."

which of course pre-dates The Beatles Love album considerably
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 01:36:40 PM »

Typos happen hideyotsuburaya.
Sometimes my fault -- sometimes not.
I write 90,000 words a month.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 01:47:58 PM by Howie Edelson » Logged
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2018, 02:13:21 PM »

needless to say we're here to point up the humour evident in them, as applicable, which can be counted upon
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 02:41:23 PM »

What's your given name?

Mine's Howie Edelson.
When Brian Wilson picks up the phone he says, "Hi Howie."

What does he call you?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 04:56:17 PM »

Howie, you are one of my absolute favorite people in Beach Boys fandom and I wish the group would follow more of your wishes.

However, the article does have a mistake in my opinion. The follow sentence is incorrect...

"The tune, which was featured on The Beach Boys Love album, marked the final time Brian Wilson was completely in charge of the material and production of an all-new group album."

This was true until 2012, but isn't it fair to say that That's Why God Made The Radio had Brian in charge?

I was also under the impression that Love You was released because Carl finished recording and mixing the album. I could totally be wrong about this though, just something I vaguely remember reading about.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2018, 09:03:07 PM »

needless to say we're here to point up the humour evident in them, as applicable, which can be counted upon

Seeing as how you post 0.077 times per day (but when you *do* post you waste everybody's time by inexplicably antagonizing the guy who wrote the liner notes for the latest BB release), maybe it's best to not speak for us on this board and what "we're" here to do.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 09:03:42 PM by HeyJude » Logged

hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2018, 07:17:16 AM »

you don't like the Beach Boys LOVE?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 07:18:48 AM by hideyotsuburaya » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »

Fair enough.

Can you please change your username? I have been trying to pm you but the “ in your username actually prevents you from being messaged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx