gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:20:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Happy Birthday to Carl Wilson  (Read 7470 times)
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2017, 09:54:45 AM »

Let's face it, folks--even if Mike & Bruce came back into the fold, we would still not have "the Beach Boys" without Carl and Dennis. And Carl in particular, because he was the one who held things together so many times, in so many ways.

So many incredible lead vocals. And while his song output for the BBs was sparse, his batting average was high.

And he was willing to stretch the group's sound in ways that even Brian might not have been so inclined to do. "Mess of Help" is as much Carl's as Brian's, performance-wise, and reminds us that a true BW "rock'n'roll album" would benefit immensely from (what is sadly an impossible) collaboration with his Chuck Berry-loving "little brother."

Thanks for everything, Carl. Man, do we miss you! Will be listening to you today--your "birthday present" to me--and to "this whole world."
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »

Dec. 21 – the birthday of one of (if not THE) greatest vocalists/musicians/entertainers of all time … and a genuinely good person to boot.

If you're looking down on us, Carl:  Happy Birthday, great man.  You're still missed after all these years.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2017, 07:42:52 AM »

Its a tribute to carl that i bet if you go back and read the thousands of posts on here the number of negative things said about him im sure is miniscule, especially compared to someone like mike.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 09:35:12 PM »

Its a tribute to carl that i bet if you go back and read the thousands of posts on here the number of negative things said about him im sure is miniscule, especially compared to someone like mike.
Carl was the peacemaker; he liked to say that he had a good relationship with everyone in the band. That's a good thing to be remembered for.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2018, 10:09:21 AM »

I found this on youtube. Here's what the user mentions:

The Beach Boys -- "God Only Knows" Live 1997 (Carl's Last Recorded Performance)

Perhaps the last recorded performance of "God Only Knows" by Carl Wilson, recorded August 2, 1997 with The Beach Boys at the Concord Pavilion in Concord, CA. If anyone has any information about a reported August 4th recording that exists, please let me know. This was recorded in the midst of Carl's battle with lung cancer; by this time he sat on a stool for each performance and required oxygen after some songs. "God Only Knows" was the one song that he would unfailingly stand for at each performance, and as evidenced by this vocal here, his vocal talent had not diminished one bit, with no discernible phrasing differences between this rendition and those from previous years. A remarkable recording through and through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMiyaPeUA4

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2018, 10:37:16 AM »

I have a recording of August 3 at the Blockbuster Pavilion, I was at the show. I am not aware of any show on August 4.  It is certainly possible other, later recordings exist as Carl played 16 more shows  between August 9 and his last performance on August 29.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2018, 09:23:56 PM »

I found this on youtube. Here's what the user mentions:

The Beach Boys -- "God Only Knows" Live 1997 (Carl's Last Recorded Performance)

Perhaps the last recorded performance of "God Only Knows" by Carl Wilson, recorded August 2, 1997 with The Beach Boys at the Concord Pavilion in Concord, CA. If anyone has any information about a reported August 4th recording that exists, please let me know. This was recorded in the midst of Carl's battle with lung cancer; by this time he sat on a stool for each performance and required oxygen after some songs. "God Only Knows" was the one song that he would unfailingly stand for at each performance, and as evidenced by this vocal here, his vocal talent had not diminished one bit, with no discernible phrasing differences between this rendition and those from previous years. A remarkable recording through and through.
 That voice is as beautiful as ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMiyaPeUA4
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx