gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:07:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Vocal Decline  (Read 11695 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »

Marianne Faithful
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2018, 03:32:52 PM »

Robert Plant is another fairly obvious one that I'm surprised people haven't mentioned/forgotten(myself included  LOL). His voice has been declining since 1977.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I forgot him. 

Although, like Ian Gillan, he's learned to adapt to singing at a lower register.   But, I can see why he's reluctant to do a full scale Led Zeppelin reunion. 

Not for nothing, but when he does Zeppelin songs solo they very rarely sound good because of this

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 05:29:53 AM »

Robert Plant is another fairly obvious one that I'm surprised people haven't mentioned/forgotten(myself included  LOL). His voice has been declining since 1977.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I forgot him. 

Although, like Ian Gillan, he's learned to adapt to singing at a lower register.   But, I can see why he's reluctant to do a full scale Led Zeppelin reunion. 

Not for nothing, but when he does Zeppelin songs solo they very rarely sound good because of this

That's true.   I saw Plant open for The Who back in 2002, and he chose to do some Zeppelin numbers that worked for his modern voice like Four Sticks, Going To CA, Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, and they sounded decent.  However, his closer Whole Lotta Love was pretty rough. 
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 09:28:00 PM »

John Sebastian comes to mind.
I remember seeing Lovin' Spoonful inducted into the Rcok N' Roll Hall of Fame on tv, and I was shocked by how terrible John Sebastian sounded when they performed.
He sounds like someone who's had throat cancer, but John has chosen not to ever address this issue publicly. I saw him a couple times in the 90's, and his voice was pretty bad, but someone they got him to sound alright on his Tar Beach cd.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2018, 12:56:54 AM »

Also, Harry Nilsson had a bit of a decline to his voice which he never regained in 1974 (that year was a bad one for many rock singers).

Sounded good again on Knnillssonn album though.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 02:38:31 PM »

John Sebastian comes to mind.
I remember seeing Lovin' Spoonful inducted into the Rcok N' Roll Hall of Fame on tv, and I was shocked by how terrible John Sebastian sounded when they performed.
He sounds like someone who's had throat cancer, but John has chosen not to ever address this issue publicly. I saw him a couple times in the 90's, and his voice was pretty bad, but someone they got him to sound alright on his Tar Beach cd.
I read the other day that he had an operation on his throat in the 1980's. I saw a video of him on youtube from Woodstock '94, and he sounded just as bad.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2018, 03:03:22 PM »

His speaking voice sounded almost sub human when he had a guest stint on Married with Children

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2018, 03:12:10 PM »

I'll have to look that up.  Grin The last footage i can find of him where he sounds anywhere "normal" is 1986.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2018, 03:38:47 PM »

It was I think in 1992... same episode where Al Bundy played a sub sandwich like a harmonica in a jumping the shark moment

mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2018, 03:46:25 PM »

Sebastian had nodules on his vocal chords decades ago, if I recall correctly.  I'm gonna try to see him in concert this year, though I know his voice is far from what it used to be.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2018, 06:57:50 AM »

But, for the first few tours as a solo artist - 1984 and 1987, Roger would sing lead on pretty much every song, including the David Gilmour sung Floyd songs. But, when Waters ended his hiatus as a touring artist in 1999, he added more songs to the setlist that originally featured David Gilmour lead vocals, but he'd have other bandmembers ie. Doyle Bramhall II, Jon Carin, etc handle those lead vocals.
Thanks, this is better fleshed out answer. 1st time you didn't phrase it clearly citing David's name & Roger's simultaneously. Without knowing PF history, as I don't, it's not easy to read. Thanks to clarify.

If you ask me, even at his best, Roger Waters's vocals were never as good as Gilmour's.
I didn't. Tongue But we shall agree to disagree.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2018, 07:02:21 AM »

But, for the first few tours as a solo artist - 1984 and 1987, Roger would sing lead on pretty much every song, including the David Gilmour sung Floyd songs. But, when Waters ended his hiatus as a touring artist in 1999, he added more songs to the setlist that originally featured David Gilmour lead vocals, but he'd have other bandmembers ie. Doyle Bramhall II, Jon Carin, etc handle those lead vocals.
Thanks, this is better fleshed out answer. 1st time you didn't phrase it clearly citing David's name & Roger's simultaneously. Without knowing PF history, as I don't, it's not easy to read. Thanks to clarify.

If you ask me, even at his best, Roger Waters's vocals were never as good as Gilmour's.
I didn't. Tongue But we shall agree to disagree.

No problem. 
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2018, 08:13:26 AM »

Bob Dylan - He used to be a real great singer in 60's and 70's, but his voice has obviously declining since the middle of the 80's. Now he sometimes sounds very awful.  But he's managed to come up with stuff that make the most of his declining, somewhat old voice on his albums (Oh Mercy, Love & Theft, recent Sinatra albums etc.) so that's no problem to me.

Agreed. Sometimes I love his old voice, sometimes I can’t believe he chose to record some things (Christmas album).

His album Time Out Of Mind is a masterpiece though - sometimes he really can use that rough voice to benefit the material.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »

Bob Dylan - He used to be a real great singer in 60's and 70's, but his voice has obviously declining since the middle of the 80's. Now he sometimes sounds very awful.  But he's managed to come up with stuff that make the most of his declining, somewhat old voice on his albums (Oh Mercy, Love & Theft, recent Sinatra albums etc.) so that's no problem to me.

Agreed. Sometimes I love his old voice, sometimes I can’t believe he chose to record some things (Christmas album).

His album Time Out Of Mind is a masterpiece though - sometimes he really can use that rough voice to benefit the material.

Aw man. Dylan's christmas album is one of my faves.  Cry
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2018, 10:09:24 PM »

Scott Weiland .Last year of his life he sounded unrecognizable but really started declining years earlier due to drugs chain smoking and mental illness

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 02:20:29 PM »

Sebastian had nodules on his vocal chords decades ago, if I recall correctly.  I'm gonna try to see him in concert this year, though I know his voice is far from what it used to be.
If recent youtube vids are anything to go by, his voice is still pretty bad, but the stories he tells about the songs, his guitar playing, and his enthusiasm make up for it. I would go see him if I got the chance, but I am up in the NW, where few artists (other than the megastars) dare to venture.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 02:23:00 PM »

The old voice was just right for the songs on TOOM. It's only gotten rougher since then, though, makes it hard to listen to some of the newer stuff. I liked Love and Theft a lot, Modern Times was also a good album, but the Christmas album was unlistenable. The Sinatra stuff hasn't knocked me out, either.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2018, 03:42:03 PM »

I would say Tom Waits, but he never really sounded that great to begin with.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »

I don't think Waits has had much of any decline.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2018, 07:47:14 AM »

I don't think Waits has had much of any decline.

If anything Waits is far more versatile now vocally than he has ever been.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2018, 08:42:03 AM »

Waits gets BETTER as he ages! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2018, 07:55:40 AM »

Stephen Stills was sounding a bit rough for a while.
And Rev. Billy Gibbons seemed to be a little strained on some of ZZ's live material.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2018, 12:49:20 PM »

I'm kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned Eddie Kendricks of The Temptations. He had an incredible tenor voice throughout the 1960's and 1970's, but by the time he reunited with the group for an album and tour in 1982, his voice was shot.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2018, 01:03:49 PM »

Yeah I think Kendrick was a chain smoker and developed lung cancer
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »

This is kind of off topic, but I will never understand how some people can be a heavy chain smoker all their lives and be fine, and others can be chain smokers and get cancer, or COPD(which my dad had) and die at a relatively young age.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx