gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:29:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Worst Vocal Decline  (Read 11698 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« on: January 27, 2018, 11:42:24 AM »

So one of the main topics on any BB forum has been the change in Brian's voice and how his voice "declined" since his glory days . Well, I've seen him live several times and despite not having his high falsetto for several decades, his voice was still quite strong and actually had some good power to his voice. This post is not about him. Nor is it about decline due to age.

No, this thread is about those who simply lost their voice, those who all of a sudden either can't sing any more or their voice severely declined, those who may have pulled a 15 Big Ones era type thing like Brian did.

Thoughts?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 12:37:22 PM »

My pics (I'll update with YouTube links if I see fit)

Mariah Carey- Now I've never been a fan. Not really my style of music. At one point, though, she had a whistle tone. Now when she sings her old songs the she can't hold the pitch worth sh*t.

Axl Rose- LOL Next

Nelly Furtado-  She hasn't even attempted the chorus of I'm Like a Bird since the mid-2000s (the background singers usually sing it). Not sure what happened here as to my knowledge she is not the partying type, but she has lost most of her vocal range.

More to come...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
KDS
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 07:52:18 PM »

David Coverdale is merely a shell of his former self vocally.

Roger Waters - Too much smoking or too many performances of Careful With That Axe Eugene in the old days.  But, between 1984's Pros and Cons solo album and 1987's Radio KAOS, Waters voice was shot.  He's even taken to lip syncing in concert at times.

David Lee Roth's vox on Van Halen's 2015 live album are pretty bad.  But, then again, he was never a giftex singer.

Don Dokken was never a powerhouse singer of the 80s hard rock era, but his voice had a smoothness thats gone. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:53:27 PM by KDS » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 08:21:40 PM »

Bob Dylan - He used to be a real great singer in 60's and 70's, but his voice has obviously declining since the middle of the 80's. Now he sometimes sounds very awful.  But he's managed to come up with stuff that make the most of his declining, somewhat old voice on his albums (Oh Mercy, Love & Theft, recent Sinatra albums etc.) so that's no problem to me.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »

Billy Corgan. Not sure if it’s a “decline” per se, but after Mellon Chollie he changed his style of singing and its pretty awful.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 10:46:37 PM by pixletwin » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 10:45:46 PM »

Also, Harry Nilsson had a bit of a decline to his voice which he never regained in 1974 (that year was a bad one for many rock singers).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 11:19:45 PM »

As a long time dedicated Who fan, it hurts me to admit that Roger Daltrey has lost A LOT in the last decade or so. I went on youtube not to long to check out some videos of Who shows from the last year or two, and I was really surprised to hear how deeper his voice has gotten. It's like the whole tone of his voice is different.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
jeffcdo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 11:28:13 PM »

John Sebastian comes to mind.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 11:34:03 PM »

John Sebastian comes to mind.
I remember seeing Lovin' Spoonful inducted into the Rcok N' Roll Hall of Fame on tv, and I was shocked by how terrible John Sebastian sounded when they performed.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 11:48:16 PM »

Roger Waters - Too much smoking or too many performances of Careful With That Axe Eugene in the old days.  But, between 1984's Pros and Cons solo album and 1987's Radio KAOS, Waters voice was shot.  He's even taken to lip syncing in concert at times.

David Lee Roth's vox on Van Halen's 2015 live album are pretty bad.  But, then again, he was never a giftex singer.

Don Dokken was never a powerhouse singer of the 80s hard rock era, but his voice had a smoothness thats gone. 

Good call on roger  Waters. When I heard Radio Kaos for the first time I almost didn't believe it was him.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 11:51:07 PM »

I've heard that Peter Cetera doesn't sound that good today.

KDS
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 05:41:17 AM »

Roger Waters - Too much smoking or too many performances of Careful With That Axe Eugene in the old days.  But, between 1984's Pros and Cons solo album and 1987's Radio KAOS, Waters voice was shot.  He's even taken to lip syncing in concert at times.

David Lee Roth's vox on Van Halen's 2015 live album are pretty bad.  But, then again, he was never a giftex singer.

Good call on roger  Waters. When I heard Radio Kaos for the first time I almost didn't believe it was him.

Yep, and his vox on Amused to Death are even worse.  

He was wise to pass out some of Gilmour's leads to other bandmembers once he started touring again in 1999
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 05:42:30 AM by KDS » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 02:11:39 PM »

Ian Gillan comes to mind. Paul Stanley too.
KDS
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 03:45:12 PM »

Ian Gillan comes to mind. Paul Stanley too.

I was going to say Gillan.  He really struggles with the old Purple songs live.  And, he can't really hit those high notes anymore.  However, his lower end vocals still sound pretty good on the newer material.
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 05:51:36 PM »

Leonard Cohen.

Though admittedly, his modern, gravelly voice has its own appeal.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2018, 05:17:28 AM »

He was wise to pass out some of Gilmour's leads to other bandmembers once he started touring again in 1999
Did David's voice decline too if Roger passed his leads to the bandmates?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2018, 05:30:01 AM »

Did David's voice decline too if Roger passed his leads to the bandmates?

No, Gilmour's vocals still sound great today.   I'm referring to Roger as a touring solo artist.  He stopped touring with David Gilmour and Pink Floyd in 1981.  

But, for the first few tours as a solo artist - 1984 and 1987, Roger would sing lead on pretty much every song, including the David Gilmour sung Floyd songs.  But, when Waters ended his hiatus as a touring artist in 1999, he added more songs to the setlist that originally featured David Gilmour lead vocals, but he'd have other bandmembers ie. Doyle Bramhall II, Jon Carin, etc handle those lead vocals.  

If you ask me, even at his best, Roger Waters's vocals were never as good as Gilmour's. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:08:20 AM by KDS » Logged
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2018, 08:41:08 AM »

Mariah Carey- Now I've never been a fan. Not really my style of music. At one point, though, she had a whistle tone. Now when she sings her old songs the she can't hold the pitch worth sh*t.

Axl Rose- LOL Next

Nelly Furtado-  She hasn't even attempted the chorus of I'm Like a Bird since the mid-2000s (the background singers usually sing it). Not sure what happened here as to my knowledge she is not the partying type, but she has lost most of her vocal range.

More to come...
Nelly Furtado Still has it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DCpe_By1Ss
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:46:25 AM by branaa09 » Logged
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2018, 11:45:22 AM »

Axl Rose- LOL Next

Nelly Furtado-  She hasn't even attempted the chorus of I'm Like a Bird since the mid-2000s (the background singers usually sing it). Not sure what happened here as to my knowledge she is not the partying type, but she has lost most of her vocal range.

More to come...
Nelly Furtado Still has it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DCpe_By1Ss

I don't think that video disproves what Billy said. She's not terrible. But her voice  in that video feels like she is out of practice. Not to mention she is throwing the hard parts to the audience most  of the  time.  LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2018, 01:41:37 PM »

Apparently others noticed this as well...this is from a few years ago

http://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-tennis/464469-what-happened-nelly-furtados-voice.html

Might be consistency issues. She's also pushing 40, which blew my mind...until I remembered I too will be 40 this year

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2018, 02:55:38 PM »

Axl Rose
KDS
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2018, 06:48:00 PM »

Apparently others noticed this as well...this is from a few years ago

http://www.tennisforum.com/13-non-tennis/464469-what-happened-nelly-furtados-voice.html

Might be consistency issues. She's also pushing 40, which blew my mind...until I remembered I too will be 40 this year

Maybe she should get Clay Matthews to sing it. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2018, 09:10:35 PM »

Robert Plant is another fairly obvious one that I'm surprised people haven't mentioned/forgotten(myself included  LOL). His voice has been declining since 1977.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2018, 11:55:07 PM »

Derp... he was the person I was initially thinking of when I made this thread!

KDS
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2018, 04:52:02 AM »

Robert Plant is another fairly obvious one that I'm surprised people haven't mentioned/forgotten(myself included  LOL). His voice has been declining since 1977.

Yeah, I'm not sure how I forgot him. 

Although, like Ian Gillan, he's learned to adapt to singing at a lower register.   But, I can see why he's reluctant to do a full scale Led Zeppelin reunion. 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx