gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:47:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What One Question Would You Ask Mike in an Interview?  (Read 9939 times)
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 27, 2018, 05:32:11 AM »

Mike, I've always wondered, and I'm sure I'm not alone... why are you universally recognized as being a TOTAL DICK???
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 05:41:43 AM »

Good question! LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 05:52:07 AM »

Ok, weirdest thing. I just woke up from a dream where Mike was giving a Q&A and I asked him if Aston Kutcher would be joining the John Stamos Beach Boys tribute band in the coming years. Mike said “yes” then proceeded to hand out ‘You Still Believe In Me’ sheet music.

I wish I could say I was making that up. I guess watching ‘That 70s Show’ and posting on the forum before bed can make for some flippin weird dreams Undecided odd timing with this thread though.

Anyways, in reality I’d ask Mike about writing with Brian in the early years - what the mood was like, would they discuss a topic in depth before writing, when they came up with something that sounded good would they flip out? After completing writing for Fun Fun Fun did they go out and get a milkshake or something? Really those early years of writing are fascinating to me; I’d love to be a fly on the wall in one of those writing sessions.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 06:05:58 AM »

Stage act questions:    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hJIlUgqAiNY

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 06:09:50 AM »

1) Tell me about your time in Rishikesh? What were the Beatles like? Did you collaborate on any music with them,?

2) The Wilsons drug use is well documented, did you feel it inpacted negatively in any way?

3) Tell me about Good Vibrations, that music is pretty far out but somehow it seems to work. Why is that?

4) Some of Brian's music is quite melancholy, what attributres do you feel you brought to the band?

5) Wouldn't It Be Nice us a great song, but your little vocal tag at the end really lifts it to the next level. Why were you never credited for that?
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 06:30:30 AM »

Mike - could you please levitate for our readers?
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 06:37:43 AM »

Is it true , Mike, that Dennis once said "Mike IS the Beach Boys. He is the band.  We're his fucking messengers. We are nothing.  He's everything... but at least I have hair!"
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2018, 07:06:32 AM »

I suppose I WASTED my chance...and it was only 3 years and 2 1/2 months ago.  There were 2 of us at a special dinner where Mike-Eddy was the guest speaker/guest of 'honour'.  We were there representing the radio station knowing that one of our local service club 'powers that be' had lined up a special fund-raiser starring the Beached Boys.  [Monies ear-marked for a brand new hospice so I wasn't about to spoil the moment or offset/undo interest in the subsequent show.]  After dinner we walked the room with mics...handing them to the next person who wanted to ask Mike a question.  Now consider too that at that time I wasn't totally flabbergasted and pissed off at him as his salvos aimed at Brian in particular and the Wilsons in general had gone silent...at least for what seemed like a 'he's finally over it' length of time.

So after everyone had put THEIR questions to him...I asked..."Mike I understand that there are more songs, some finished, some partially done still sitting in the can from the TWGMTR sessions.  Any chance that they'll see the light of day...that you may all come together soon to finish them and release another album?"

"Oh...we have a fan who knows what's happening here."  he replied and then suggested something along the lines of the possibility that it 'could' happen...if everybody could free up the time, simultaneously, to reconvene.  Ambiguous...but hopeful.  When it was over I even got my pic taken with him.  I used to use it here...but once he re-ramped up his oozing 'jerk-off-ed-ness' I just didn't want to be seen with him...to condone his once again never-ending 'assholeshness'.  Some may contend that I offer up some of that here myself.  But compared to this hall of famer-flamer...I'm just a beginner.

Going forward I spent a LOT of time 'on-air' promoting the concert.  It was a BIG event for a city of 50,000 and an area which includes about 110,000 listeners.  I did make it clear that Brian was touring on his own...along with Blondie and that Mike and Bruce were the only Beach Boys in THAT contingent but I didn't have a bone to pick with either of them at the time and besides...why would I choose to sabotage the hospice fund-raiser?  I gave equal time to Brian's show in Detroit in July and to Mike's show in August.

I did not mention that Mike had 'done' the Canadian national anthem with his hat still on or that he only got it off about a 1/4 way through the Star [and BB hat] Spangled Banner.  Again...no bone to pick and why spoil the moment?  As a public speaker Mike is below average.  You would think that a guy with that much mic and stage time would be engaging if not engrossing.  But no...he mumbles...and he really seemed to be VERY unprepared.  The content weighed far too heavily toward his family tree and their arrival in the US of A...and nowhere near enough in terms of interesting anecdotes and funny stories about his days with the Beach Boys.  Yes he did mention the drugs angle but due to his inabilities at the podium...it seemed to be rather undersold...which was good.

I do remember at the time suggesting at several 'boards' that Mike very much needed to, and would benefit from, hiring a P.R. firm to help him put together such a concept and that when all was said and done with live performances he would still be able to tour and interact with fans by appearing at public speaking events like this.  Since then his desperate need for a P.R. firm has become entirely and clearly apparent.

At this point?  There's nothing left to ask.  An ass is an ass is an ass is an ass.  [except when it's being a complete and utter dick.]
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 07:24:58 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2018, 07:23:09 AM »

I'd probably ask him if he remembered who Rachel was (as in "Revo-Lution"). He must have been around the studio at the time.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 07:29:15 AM »

"Can you replace Bruce with smb. else?" Tongue "Many fans would like new BBs album. Will you agree to join together to write it? Been long time since TWGMTR."

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »

I love TWGMTR, and this might be a crazy idea but i personally think instead of brian writing with joe thomas for the album maybe, i dont know, it couldve been written by you and brian in a room with a piano. What do you think?
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 09:19:13 AM »

Hey, folks, please don't turn this into a serious thread! Lol! Evil
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 09:25:39 AM »

And here I thought Doe was doing another Q&A with Mike.

damn.  LOL

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 09:40:12 AM »

Why didn't you keep playing (and learning to play) the saxophone?
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 10:06:20 AM »

Given the choice today, would it be the Monk Robe or Shiny Gold Vest?
oldsurferdude
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2018, 10:22:10 AM »

Hey myKe luHv, is The Doester on your payroll and does he make minimum wage?  Evil
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2018, 10:41:18 AM »

Which instrument do you feel you really "made your own" - the saxophone or the woo woo machine?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2018, 11:44:59 AM »

And here I thought Doe was doing another Q&A with Mike.

damn.  LOL

I think this has already garnered more responses in 3 hours than Doe’s Q&A thread did in its whole lifetime LOL

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2018, 12:02:39 PM »

Mike, wake up, you've been asleep!

From the muttering, it sounds like you were having a terrible dream.

Now, get back to work, those metal sheets aren't going to scrape themselves you know!

Mike......, Mike, why are you crying?

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 05:51:15 PM »

Mr Love, what was it institutionalized from too much fasting around 1969/70? Were you in an uncomfortable seat thus causing you to lose your head? Also, does a capella really mean nude?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »

Dangerously close to being a sandbox thread....

...albeit a hilarious one

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2018, 05:58:33 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:08:52 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2018, 07:11:33 PM »

It means no worries...for the rest of your days..

wait, that's Hakuna Matata LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2018, 08:25:17 PM »

What does "over and over the crow cries uncover the cornfield" mean?

Not that this thread is meant for serious conversation LOL

But just recently someone pointed out that by switching the beginning/end of each of those final verses the lines actually make sense.

Over and over the crow cries hover the wheat field
Over and over the thresher uncover the cornfield

This was probably so obvious to anyone else, but having someone point that out was pretty enlightening.

....Carry on..... Grin

wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 05:51:20 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:08:45 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx