gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:57:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's Favourite Instruments  (Read 2833 times)
willmansell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2018, 08:08:00 AM »

Obviously Brian was pretty big on certain instruments and the unique sounds they could make. I've been thinking about what his favourites might have been.

Can anyone name any instruments he was noted to enjoy playing throughout his career?

Off the top of my head I can think of the famous white Baldwin organ and perhaps the tack piano at Wally Heiders they used on Wild Honey (although I'm sure he's played numerous tack piano's in his time). Perhaps the ARP odyssey he used in the 70's on Love You?

"Commerce and art man, that's a tough thing"
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 10:11:10 AM »

Fender Precision Bass
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:39:12 AM »

He certainly loved playing his organ.
willmansell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:41:12 AM »

He certainly loved playing his organ.

Can’t tell if this is a poor attempt at innuendo or not

Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »

Shall I use an emoticon next time?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 09:34:49 PM »

Not sure where the notion of the ARP Odyssey on Love You is from...can any vintage keyboard nerd (meant affectionately) tell us for sure? All the track sheet documentation seems to indicate only mini-Moog and ARP String Ensemble were used on that one (and on Big Ones as well)...
willmansell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 06:47:03 AM »

Not sure where the notion of the ARP Odyssey on Love You is from...can any vintage keyboard nerd (meant affectionately) tell us for sure? All the track sheet documentation seems to indicate only mini-Moog and ARP String Ensemble were used on that one (and on Big Ones as well)...

Sorry I might be completely wrong on that, I’ve just seen pictures of Brian playing one and assumed it was Love You.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 07:50:13 AM »

Sorry I might be completely wrong on that, I’ve just seen pictures of Brian playing one and assumed it was Love You.

If it's the one where he's beardless...then that's actually from the Fort Dodge, Iowa sessions with David Sandler in '73.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:22:47 AM »

I should qualify my statement above...the Love You track sheets that include an ARP among the instruments listed are "Honkin' Down The Highway", "Solar System" and "The Night Was So Young" - in all three cases, the annotation is for "string ensemble" or some variation in spelling of the same, but those are obvious references to the ARP instrument of that name. There is, however, one song from that album where the track sheet annotation actually reads "Arp" - and that is "Ding Dang", recorded three or four years prior to the album's release, in 1973 or 1974. The ARP instrument on THAT song could very well be the Odyssey, or perhaps the Pro Soloist...either way, I believe it's responsible for the "horn" sound on that song.
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 10:18:59 PM »

Bass Harmonica featured prominently on many late 60’s cuts.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2018, 05:18:33 AM »

From its use i can surely confirm that he loveds the sound of french horn:)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx