gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:11:27 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which band's output do you prefer in 1967?
The Beach Boys - 9 (36%)
The Beatles - 16 (64%)
Total Voters: 23

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1967: The Beach Boys vs. The Beatles  (Read 10503 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 26, 2018, 02:41:40 AM »

I know this series of thread has been pretty controversial, but I'll go on anyway.

Two album (Smiley Smile and Wild Honey. Sorry but NO SMiLE!) and one non-album B-side (You're Welcome)

vs. One album (Sgt. Pepper), one EP(Magical Mystery Tour) and three singles (Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane, All You Need Is Love/Baby You're a Rich Man and Hello Goodbye/I Am The Walrus)

The question was supposed to be "Which do you think did better in 1967?" But it's very odd that I've told you to go only with your subjective preference. I guess it's one of the reasons for confusion here, so I apologize. So from this time the question is:

Which band's output do you prefer in 1967?

Look forward to your opinions & discussions Smiley
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:42:38 AM by Watamushi(Polly Poller) » Logged
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 02:47:24 AM »

This was easy for me. I prefer the Beatles this year.

Wild Honey is a very fine album, and Smiley Smile is great when you're in the mood, but I'd take the brilliance of Sgt. Pepper and Strawberry/Penny Lane for me. any day.

It could've been completely another story if BB had managed to release SMiLE, even if in incomplete form, though.
Willy Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga Hagga Hooga

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:38:57 AM »

The Beatles achieved more than anyone that year. But no band gives me the same spiritual uplift that the BBs do, and since Smiley Smile in stereo and the exceptional Sunshine Tomorrow sets, I so much prefer the BBs output of 1967.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said, "Banana!"
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 05:28:56 AM »

The Beatles.  I really can't get Smiley Smile other than GV and Vegetables and only get some of Wild Honey so The Beatles (mainly off their singles and a few album/EP tracks) win.

Good Songs from The Beatles in 1967:
Strawberry Fields Forever
Penny Lane
Good Morning, Good Morning
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
With A Little Help From My Friends
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Getting Better (kinda)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
Magical Mystery Tour
Your Mother Should Know
Hello, Goodbye
All You Need Is Love
I Am the Walrus (sometimes I like it, other times I don't)
Baby You're A Rich Man (sometimes I like it, other times I don't)

Good Songs from The Beach Boys in 1967:
Heroes and Villains (kinda)
Vegetables
Good Vibrations (yes I know the single was 1966 - but it was released on an album in 1967)
Wild Honey
Aren't You Glad
Darlin'
I Was Made to Love Her
Let the Wind Blow (kinda)
I'd Love Just Once to See You (kinda)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 12:19:59 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
KDS
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 06:11:47 AM »

For me, this was the year that required the least amount of thought.   Even 1966, with Pet Sounds being my winner, I had to really think about it, being against Revolver.  

But, in my opinion, 1967 is a no brainer for The Beatles.  

Granted it might be overrated, and it's probably not even in my Top 5 favorite Beatles albums, but Sgt Pepper is still an incredible achievement, and still sounds great 51 years later.  

In my opinion, Magical Mystery Tour is even better (depending on whether you consider it a true LP or an EP plus five great songs).  

With songs like Strawberry Fields, Day in the Life, She's Leaving Home, Lucy in the Sky, Penny Lane, even George's underrated Blue Jay Way, The Beatles were taking their music to new heights.

The Beach Boys on the other hand fell flat (IMO) with their attempt at more experimental music.  While it's developed a cult following, I still think Smiley Smile is their worst album to date.  Take away the two brilliant, already available, singles, and there's not much there.   The eventual release of superior Smile versions of Wonderful and Wind Chimes make the versions on SS obsolete.  

Wild Honey is a return to form album, but still pales in comparison to what The Beatles were doing.  

Sadly, 1967 was the year that The Beach Boys stumbled.   In the eyes of many record buyers in the US, they would never really recover, and they got left in the dust by bands that adapted better to the changing landscape of rock music like The Beatles, The Stones, and The Who, as well as new up and coming groups like The Doors, Pink Floyd, and Jimi Hendrix.  
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:18:51 AM by KDS » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 07:24:41 AM »

The Beatles by a long shot.

Smiley Smile is an album I go back and forth on a lot. Sometimes I will listen to it and think how creative, unusual, almost magical the album is. Sometimes I listen to it and think how it feels bare and creepy next to the previously released album. In my mind this album teeters on the fence between greatness and a foul ball. But I will say that the stereo version really opens my eyes to how incredible this album is - one thing these guys never slacked on was perfection when it came to harmonies.

Wild Honey has a special place for me, I remember vividly when I first heard it, I was (and still am) blown away by ‘Aren’t You Glad’ and ‘Darlin’ is one of the coolest songs these guys did. In my opinion, the album should’ve been released in stereo in the first place, and I think had it had Pet Sounds-like production it would be ranked among the greats this band did (and probably charted as much)...‘Darlin’ has this kickass booming sound (because of the brass section) that seems to be missing from mostly every other song. Give this album the wall-of-sound treatment and I think it would’ve definitely helped the album.

I can’t really describe how good I think Sgt Pepper is. Ya know, when Brian says “The Beatles beat me to it” (I know he was referring to ‘Strawberry Fields’) I know exactly what it means when it comes to this album. In the Brian Wilson Songwriter Documentary, the narrator straight up says that the psychedelic new sounds Brian was looking for didn’t come out of the sunny beaches of LA but instead the dreary streets across the pond. Each song is a little pop masterpiece - the wide use of instruments is incredible. Each song is a tale. ‘She’s Leaving Home’ is one of the greatest songs these guys did...the lyrics, those amazing strings, its pure beauty. And the recently released remix of this album makes the whole thing even more stunning.

Magical Mystery Tour was my favorite Beatles album for a while - ‘Songs Your Mother Should Know’ I thought was so creative in scope, the bass line in ‘Baby You’re A Rich Man’ is one of my favorite bass lines in any song I’ve heard...simplistic yet it friggin rocks with that song. It’s like an actually listenable Still Cruisin album haha.

Had Brian created/released something like his BWPS album in 1967, this would’ve been a much harder year to decide, perhaps even impossible to decide. But The Beach Boys went a simpler route while the Beatles kept pushing the limits of what popular music could sound like, and thus I feel they won with flying colors in 1967.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 08:32:51 AM »

Smiley Smile versus Sgt Pepper?  Even with that last minute album Wild Honey jumping in as the year came to a close...it's NO contest.  Beatles by at least as large a margin as last years' Beach Boys victory. Cool Guy  Maybe more.  And that's before I even begin to incorporate Magical Mystery Tour or Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane into the equation.  1967 was their best year...by far.  In spite of infighting...1969 would be a VERY good year as well.  When the Beach Boys fought...it all went down the dumper.  The Fabs got 'er done.  And when they couldn't any longer?  They went their separate ways.  Smarter thinking I would wager.

Like...I was happy and grateful to finally get a followup to all of the Brian Wilson 1966 mega-creativity in the form of Heroes and Villains...and I'd rank it as 'equalish' to one of either Strawberry Fields or Penny Lane...but not both.  If SMiLE had been released [and not that awful dog-turd Smiley Smile]...rab2591 nailed it...except for the 2 glorious hitchhikers Good Vibrations and Heroes and Villains it is "creepy." I would have gone Beach Boys.  But it wasn't...so in real time?  NO contest.  [thanks Mike.  Angry  Now on his 52nd annual being a "dick" tour.   Roll Eyes]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 09:41:13 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 10:31:31 AM »

By easy calculation & by elimination process:

Beatles's best this year: Magical Mystery Tour. Best singles: "Penny Lane", "Hello Goodbye".
BBs' best this year: Smiley Smile. "You're Welcome".

Singles: Wins "Penny Lane".
Albums: Wins Smiley Smile but MMT is easily favorite Beatles album. Whilst I dislike BYARM, rab2591 is totes right about bass. Paul's created many cool basslines. 3D

Ultimate victory: Beach Boys.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 10:36:52 AM »

Hmmm, its not fair to compare one of these albums to the greatest album ever made.

Peppers is OK I suppose,  but Smiley Smile is so awesome that there's just no contest.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2018, 05:06:01 PM »

If we include the unreleased Smile, I vote Beach Boys. But if we are going by what was officially released in 1967, The Beatles.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 05:08:30 PM by pixletwin » Logged
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2018, 12:30:23 PM »

Fascinating, the mental gymnastics one would have to go through to declare this year a win for the BBs. 
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 01:02:57 PM »

Fascinating, the mental gymnastics one would have to go through to declare this year a win for the BBs. 

Yeah, you've got me. Secretly I love the Beatles and think they're the greatest composers who ever lived.

Deep down I know my love of the pure musical perfection of Smiley Smile is but a sham compared to the Sgt Pepper,  which is in no way overrated, full of genius tracks such as When I'm 64, Good Mornihg, Good Morning and Wthin You Without You, (which isn't the least bit boring)

'Cos anyone who says they don't like the Beatles must be lying right?
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2018, 01:48:46 PM »

Yeah, you've got me. Secretly I love the Beatles and think they're the greatest composers who ever lived.

Deep down I know my love of the pure musical perfection of Smiley Smile is but a sham compared to the Sgt Pepper,  which is in no way overrated, full of genius tracks such as When I'm 64, Good Mornihg, Good Morning and Wthin You Without You, (which isn't the least bit boring)

I definitely wasn't referring to you, as your sarcasm moves at typhoon force in this thread!
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2018, 02:02:10 PM »

I definitely wasn't referring to you, as your sarcasm moves at typhoon force in this thread!

It is unstoppable.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2018, 04:14:04 PM »

Never mind "mental gymnastics", I knew very clearly, chiming in this thread, who wins in my eyes - or rather, to my ears - in 1967.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 01:26:53 AM »

The Result:
The Beach Boys 9 votes
The Beatles 16 votes

The winner is The Beatles.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 12:47:46 PM »

I had meant to post on who I picked for this year.

The BBs had Smiley Smile which in my opinion had some great songs, H&V, GV, Vegetables, some clunkers, a "noble failure" - Fall Breaks (I absolutely love the version on Sunshine Tomorrow) and a Transcendent moment (the latter part of Wind Chimes).

The Beatles had great songs, good songs, no bad songs.
Faves are SFF, Mr Kite, I Am the Walrus, A Day in the Life.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was the Beatles year.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 02:34:50 PM »

Like every year in the competition - Beatles.  Except 1966 where I'd flip a coin, and maybe give it to the Beach Boys. 
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 03:17:54 AM »

I don't even bother to answer these polls, because for me it's Beach Boys every year. I know, if you measure achievements, sales, chart positions, cultural impact, The Beatles win every time. But when it comes to music, it's the Beach Boys that touch my heart more. Everry time. Even when they suck, their stuff is more direct and heartfelt. And that does it for me, no amount of studio breaktrhoughs and cleverness can change that.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 06:09:25 AM »

I don't even bother to answer these polls, because for me it's Beach Boys every year. I know, if you measure achievements, sales, chart positions, cultural impact, The Beatles win every time. But when it comes to music, it's the Beach Boys that touch my heart more. Everry time. Even when they suck, their stuff is more direct and heartfelt. And that does it for me, no amount of studio breaktrhoughs and cleverness can change that.

Just (truly, honestly) some friendly advice: Perhaps if you stopped framing this as a case of the Beatles only being noteworthy due to sales/chart success/cultural impact, etc., to the point of music that you admit "sucks" strikes you as more "direct and heartfelt", maybe you'd actually like some other music.

People don't note the Beatles more than another bands because of "cleverness" or "chart positions", etc. They note them because their music is great. It speaks to people. It never would have survived had it not. They were successful because they spoke to people. Not the other way around.

Like what you like (obviously), but if anyone told me that everything the Beach Boys never did is more "heartfelt" than anything anybody else ever did, even when the BB material in question "sucks", I'd tell them to get out more and listen to other stuff and allow themselves to actually like something other than the BBs.

I'm not telling people how to feel, what to feel, what to like. If you think the Percadella Mix of "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" is more "heartfelt" than anything the Beatles ever did, I'm not saying you can't feel that way. But I think it's worth trying to reach out to people who are self-identifying as super narrow-minded musically and let them know that there is other stuff out there. For crying out loud, I'm not saying we all have to go listen to Freeform Jazz or something. To me, The Beatle and the Beach Boys are both *it*. I don't spend one moment of my life announcing that everything the BBs ever did is better than anything else. I enjoy the BBs, their music changes my life, and then I *also* have the same experiences with other music. If Mike Love's Hyatt Regency jingle started speaking to my soul more than "In My Life" or "For No One" or "Let It Be", I'd seriously start to self-assess what the problem is.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 06:40:29 PM »

Coming in late but it’s easy for me:  I much prefer Smiley Smile and WH.  By a long shot.  I like Sergeant Pepper and MMT quite a lot but there’s no contest.  WH is just one of my favourite albums ever; I just love it and there’s no sense telling me I’m wrong Smiley    And for all of the criticism of Smiley Smile, well, it’s got Good Vibrations.   I love the Beatles but if I had to choose between every Beatles song ever recorded or Good Vibrations, I’d pick the latter. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2018, 08:27:01 PM »

(Decided to delete. Sorry(
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 08:33:37 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2018, 08:51:18 PM »

Coming in late but it’s easy for me:  I much prefer Smiley Smile and WH.  By a long shot.  I like Sergeant Pepper and MMT quite a lot but there’s no contest.  WH is just one of my favourite albums ever; I just love it and there’s no sense telling me I’m wrong Smiley    And for all of the criticism of Smiley Smile, well, it’s got Good Vibrations.   I love the Beatles but if I had to choose between every Beatles song ever recorded or Good Vibrations, I’d pick the latter. 

My vote still goes to the Beatles, but you’re so right about Good Vibrations. I’d take that song over anything the Beatles did in ‘67 - which is ridiculous because everything the Beatles did in ‘67 was monumentally amazing. But GV will always sound like a record recorded 1000 years in the future.

But in total, I just love the Beatles output so much in this year over most everything The Beach Boys put out. Both bands did a great job following their own unique muses in this year though.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 01:22:46 AM »

Just (truly, honestly) some friendly advice: Perhaps if you stopped framing this as a case of the Beatles only being noteworthy due to sales/chart success/cultural impact, etc., to the point of music that you admit "sucks" strikes you as more "direct and heartfelt", maybe you'd actually like some other music.

People don't note the Beatles more than another bands because of "cleverness" or "chart positions", etc. They note them because their music is great. It speaks to people. It never would have survived had it not. They were successful because they spoke to people. Not the other way around.

Like what you like (obviously), but if anyone told me that everything the Beach Boys never did is more "heartfelt" than anything anybody else ever did, even when the BB material in question "sucks", I'd tell them to get out more and listen to other stuff and allow themselves to actually like something other than the BBs.

I'm not telling people how to feel, what to feel, what to like. If you think the Percadella Mix of "Rock and Roll to the Rescue" is more "heartfelt" than anything the Beatles ever did, I'm not saying you can't feel that way. But I think it's worth trying to reach out to people who are self-identifying as super narrow-minded musically and let them know that there is other stuff out there. For crying out loud, I'm not saying we all have to go listen to Freeform Jazz or something. To me, The Beatle and the Beach Boys are both *it*. I don't spend one moment of my life announcing that everything the BBs ever did is better than anything else. I enjoy the BBs, their music changes my life, and then I *also* have the same experiences with other music. If Mike Love's Hyatt Regency jingle started speaking to my soul more than "In My Life" or "For No One" or "Let It Be", I'd seriously start to self-assess what the problem is.

Good points, but missing the point. Me, I love the Beatles, they're great, and they've made some great music, some even best ever. I don't have nothing against them and they continue to inspire me on an everyday basis, and I still listen to them regularly. But, this is The Beach Boys vs The Beatles topic, and so it happens that I like the Beach Boys more. In my opinion, they are musically superior. Especially their 1967 output. Mike Love's jingles don't really belong to this discussion... All the Beatles songs you mentioned are great, of course, and I don't think there's much point in comparing B's and BB's. But, while were at it, that's where I stand.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 01:24:19 AM by Jukka » Logged

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2018, 01:50:32 AM »

HeyJude, you must stop forcing people like Beatles. They're not be-all, end-all, for Pete's sake. The way you advise Jukka to be open-minded when you don't know AT ALL his music likes & dislikes is completely dumb. For all you care/ know, he could have very diverse taste.
If Jukka chooses BBs every year - then what? If BBs is big deal to him that even bad songs sound good to him - cool.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx