gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:23:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian at Hawthorne HS recently  (Read 16880 times)
KDS
« Reply #75 on: January 19, 2018, 05:33:38 AM »

Concerning a long-form BB documentary along the lines of a "Beatles Anthology", while there are many reasons it's difficult to pull off, one big one is music clearances. A 6-hour-ish documentary would have to include a ton of music, and all of that has to be paid for. One of the reasons things like the C50 live Blu-ray or the Knebworth 1980 DVD have truncated setlists is that they had to pay for sync rights to every composition, and that can get expensive.

Additionally, they have to clear the rights to the actual recordings as well, not to mention video/film footage.

Now, I wouldn't mind just six hours of interviews without any music or vintage footage, but that wouldn't sell to anybody but the hardcore fans.

BRI would probably need to hook in some sort of financier like HBO or something to front the money to do the thing.

All true, but as I've said before, other artists have no problems clearing their songs for DVD releases.   

While it's a valid reason, I think it's a poor one. 
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 19, 2018, 05:51:20 AM »

If this were pitched tomorrow, as of January 2018, the surviving members would never be able to come together on the telling of certain events or the postgame recap of where the band's status exists today. Just look at Mike's book for some examples.

I doubt they'd even be able to get into the same room without a legal document full of demands.

It defines the word clusterfuck.

Seriously, does anyone think something like a consensus would be reached when the topic of C50 comes up for the documentary? Not a chance in hell.

No I don't think a consensus would be reached, but let each member give their opinion and let the viewer decide who they believe.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 19, 2018, 06:14:12 AM »

Maybe Tommy Wiseau or Ontor Pertwast? Evil

Who mention me?

If you want, I make big Hollywood movie about Brian Wilson.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2018, 07:39:18 AM »

Concerning a long-form BB documentary along the lines of a "Beatles Anthology", while there are many reasons it's difficult to pull off, one big one is music clearances. A 6-hour-ish documentary would have to include a ton of music, and all of that has to be paid for. One of the reasons things like the C50 live Blu-ray or the Knebworth 1980 DVD have truncated setlists is that they had to pay for sync rights to every composition, and that can get expensive.

Additionally, they have to clear the rights to the actual recordings as well, not to mention video/film footage.

Now, I wouldn't mind just six hours of interviews without any music or vintage footage, but that wouldn't sell to anybody but the hardcore fans.

BRI would probably need to hook in some sort of financier like HBO or something to front the money to do the thing.

All true, but as I've said before, other artists have no problems clearing their songs for DVD releases.   

It's usually a pretty simple numbers game, and if someone can't pony up the budget to do a release, it won't happen. If it's going to lose money because one of the parties wants a sync license that's $1 million per-30-seconds, a release won't happen.

Add to that some degree of apathy and disinterest (hopefully now in the past now that BRI has a good crew in there) in the past when it comes to such projects for the BBs, and it makes it even harder.

I've also always guessed that Mike post-1998 has been somewhat apprehensive about a ton of live *videos* of a Beach Boys band with many more "Beach Boys" in it than his current band. The C50 live videos happened because of a bunch of up-front deals related to the whole project. I think "Knebworth 1980" only happened because they were approached to do a 70-minute concert release. I remember hearing back at the time than some of the surviving BBs were not particulary enthused about the Knebworth 1980 show being released.

Music/concert releases on home video (DVD, Blu, etc.) typically *don't* sell that well (comparatively). Some bands/artists do well within that niche. I'm guessing the Beach Boys aren't in that top tier when it comes to that stuff.

Additionally, it also depends on whether the band/artist in question owns its own publishing. It's probably no coincidence that the C50 "Live in Concert" Blu-ray strangely ignores some "classic" hits but includes "Marcella", both songs off the new album, "All This is That", etc. They were able to negotiate essentially with *themselves* on some of those songs and I'm sure it cost less to clear "Marcella" than it did a classic 60s song.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #79 on: January 19, 2018, 08:16:25 AM »

It's usually a pretty simple numbers game, and if someone can't pony up the budget to do a release, it won't happen. If it's going to lose money because one of the parties wants a sync license that's $1 million per-30-seconds, a release won't happen.

Add to that some degree of apathy and disinterest (hopefully now in the past now that BRI has a good crew in there) in the past when it comes to such projects for the BBs, and it makes it even harder.

I've also always guessed that Mike post-1998 has been somewhat apprehensive about a ton of live *videos* of a Beach Boys band with many more "Beach Boys" in it than his current band. The C50 live videos happened because of a bunch of up-front deals related to the whole project. I think "Knebworth 1980" only happened because they were approached to do a 70-minute concert release. I remember hearing back at the time than some of the surviving BBs were not particulary enthused about the Knebworth 1980 show being released.

Music/concert releases on home video (DVD, Blu, etc.) typically *don't* sell that well (comparatively). Some bands/artists do well within that niche. I'm guessing the Beach Boys aren't in that top tier when it comes to that stuff.

Additionally, it also depends on whether the band/artist in question owns its own publishing. It's probably no coincidence that the C50 "Live in Concert" Blu-ray strangely ignores some "classic" hits but includes "Marcella", both songs off the new album, "All This is That", etc. They were able to negotiate essentially with *themselves* on some of those songs and I'm sure it cost less to clear "Marcella" than it did a classic 60s song.

Could be a chicken / egg thing.  Maybe The Beach Boys live product doesn't sell because it's inferior.   For example, if I buy an Iron Maiden DVD release, it'll have a complete concert, bonus features, a short doc from that tour, etc etc. 

However, C50 was a truncated show with zero extras.  I only bought myself a copy because I found one super cheap on Amazon Marketplace. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 19, 2018, 01:50:49 PM »

Maybe Tommy Wiseau or Ontor Pertwast? Evil

Who mention me?

If you want, I make big Hollywood movie about Brian Wilson.
Sweet dude! Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 20, 2018, 01:07:30 PM »

What's Mike going to try to do to upstage this?

I think the funniest thing would be if the ‘F’ could somehow be transferred to Mikes school grade for the 92 ‘Surfin’  remake.

It does look like there is a Brian documentary in the works though.

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2018/01/17/beach-boys-co-founder-brian-wilson-returns-to-alma-mater-at-hawthorne-high-school-for-some-justice/

Wilson was filmed during his visit by a crew producing a documentary about him. He visited Landesfeind’s office and the school’s baseball field.

“He was quiet and didn’t say much,” she said. “But he was very nice. We drove him on a golf cart to the baseball field. He was a major athlete.”

The crew went on to make stops at places along Hawthorne Boulevard that were popular during Wilson’s teenage years. The boulevard used to be an active cruising strip for young people.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 20, 2018, 01:09:34 PM »

Great idea! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
KDS
« Reply #83 on: January 20, 2018, 07:34:24 PM »

I got thinking about docs today when I finally checked out Super Duper Alice Cooper, which makes Endless Harmony look like Beatles Anthology. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: January 20, 2018, 07:56:49 PM »

I got thinking about docs today when I finally checked out Super Duper Alice Cooper, which makes Endless Harmony look like Beatles Anthology. 

LOL I don't know if that's a compliment or not

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2018, 11:17:51 AM »

What's Mike going to try to do to upstage this?

I think the funniest thing would be if the ‘F’ could somehow be transferred to Mikes school grade for the 92 ‘Surfin’  remake.

It does look like there is a Brian documentary in the works though.

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2018/01/17/beach-boys-co-founder-brian-wilson-returns-to-alma-mater-at-hawthorne-high-school-for-some-justice/

Wilson was filmed during his visit by a crew producing a documentary about him. He visited Landesfeind’s office and the school’s baseball field.

“He was quiet and didn’t say much,” she said. “But he was very nice. We drove him on a golf cart to the baseball field. He was a major athlete.”

The crew went on to make stops at places along Hawthorne Boulevard that were popular during Wilson’s teenage years. The boulevard used to be an active cruising strip for young people.

I emailed the author of the article and pointed out that the monument dedication occurred on May 20, 2005, not 2011 as she had stated originally in the article.  She emailed me back and said that the error has been corrected.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx