gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:01:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Website I created  (Read 6536 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »

Looks good. I like  the  layout.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 09:04:08 AM »

- Id suggest stopping the "Beach Boys" gigs at 1997 and picking up only for C50 in 2012 when they reunited, the lines won't be blurred that way unless you set up a separate section for Mike. I doubt there are many people who would be interested in a page with the 180 shows Mike played in 2015 or whatever the case would be, unless there is the time and energy to enter all those into the page and take up the bandwidth.

While not as essential as their prime touring years, I think the Mike and Bruce era is still a part of BB history, and much like the SIP album, shouldn't be ignored.   

Especially if you factor in how the setlists were changed up with the addition of Scott Totten in 2007.

SIP isn't really analogous to Mike's touring band, as SIP wasn't recorded by a separate unit under license.

I don't think Mike's licensed BB shows should be included simply as a continuation of the 1961-1998 "Beach Boys" shows.

Much as I believe the "In Concert" book does, I think after Carl and Al are gone in 1998, the "Beach Boys" section of any database should stop (with the exception of C50 in 2012), and then it should branch off into off-shoot/solo shows. Mike's licensed "Beach Boys" shows should be in a section alongside Brian's solo shows, Al's "Family & Friends" and other shows, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 09:14:16 AM »

- Id suggest stopping the "Beach Boys" gigs at 1997 and picking up only for C50 in 2012 when they reunited, the lines won't be blurred that way unless you set up a separate section for Mike. I doubt there are many people who would be interested in a page with the 180 shows Mike played in 2015 or whatever the case would be, unless there is the time and energy to enter all those into the page and take up the bandwidth.

While not as essential as their prime touring years, I think the Mike and Bruce era is still a part of BB history, and much like the SIP album, shouldn't be ignored.   

Especially if you factor in how the setlists were changed up with the addition of Scott Totten in 2007.

SIP isn't really analogous to Mike's touring band, as SIP wasn't recorded by a separate unit under license.

I don't think Mike's licensed BB shows should be included simply as a continuation of the 1961-1998 "Beach Boys" shows.

Much as I believe the "In Concert" book does, I think after Carl and Al are gone in 1998, the "Beach Boys" section of any database should stop (with the exception of C50 in 2012), and then it should branch off into off-shoot/solo shows. Mike's licensed "Beach Boys" shows should be in a section alongside Brian's solo shows, Al's "Family & Friends" and other shows, etc.

I have to respectfully disagree. 

To me, wanted to reclassify post 1997 post Beach Boys as something different is pretty much the same as the thread about whether or not Summer in Paradise is a Beach Boys album.

Summer in Paradise is a Beach Boys album. 

Concerts from 1998-2018 are Beach Boys concerts. 

These are facts. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 09:16:34 AM »

Agreed. I think in terms of the history, the timeline does stop in a way after Carl's passing, and "The Beach Boys" apart from the 2012 C50 dates, need to have that line drawn to differentiate Mike's licensed name shows from the band prior to needing a license of any sort to play.

It's a Herculean task, no doubt, to collate, sort, and code all these entries which is why I don't know where the interest would be for web visitors coming to check out classic Beach Boys shows and related memorabilia to see Mike's 150+ shows per year after 1998. Or if those shows are deemed worthy of inclusion, then so should tours where Brian played with Al, where he played with Al and David Marks, where Al played his family & friends shows, etc because they're original members playing primarily Beach Boys songs too. I don't see Mike's shows as more worthy of inclusion than either Al or Brian post-1998 simply because he paid for the name, when all of the original members are still playing Beach Boys music in their sets.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 09:22:38 AM »

To me, wanted to reclassify post 1997 post Beach Boys as something different is pretty much the same as the thread about whether or not Summer in Paradise is a Beach Boys album.

These are facts.  

Logistically and legally, "Beach Boys" concerts from 1998 to the present are NOT the same.

It's absolutely *not* analogous to "Summer in Paradise."

And indeed, Ian and Jon's "In Concert" book does just that, sectioning off those post-Al/Carl shows into a separate section. It's well documented in such books and other sources that the shows are billed as "The Beach Boys", but it's with an understanding that both in terms of fan perception/feelings *AND* legal/procedural terms, those "Beach Boys" shows are most certainly an entirely different animal. It's part of the reason why not one single live track from Mike's 1998-present "Beach Boys" shows have ever been pulled for a "Beach Boys" boxed set or other release.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 09:23:30 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2018, 09:24:10 AM »

These are facts. 

Logistically and legally, "Beach Boys" concerts from 1998 to the present are NOT the same.

And indeed, Ian and Jon's "In Concert" book does just that, sectioning off those post-Al/Carl shows into a separate section. It's well documented in such books and other sources that the shows are billed as "The Beach Boys", but it's with an understanding that both in terms of fan perception/feelings *AND* legal/procedural terms, those "Beach Boys" shows are most certainly an entirely different animal. It's part of the reason why not one single live track from Mike's 1998-present "Beach Boys" shows have ever been pulled for a "Beach Boys" boxed set or other release.

Fair enough, if the format mirrors the book. 

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2018, 09:28:17 AM »

I look at this way as well: If one is inclined to feel that Mike's "Beach Boys" are the "same" in the most basic sense as they were pre-1998, then it makes it pretty difficult to argue against the idea that he did functionally/procedurally fire Brian and Al (and Dave) in 2012. This is of course not actually the case. But if one is trying to kind of feel the whole thing out as if Mike's band in 2018 is just the "2018 version" of what existed in 2012 or in 1995 or whenever, then it becomes much harder to explain a willing Brian, Al, and Dave no longer being in the band.

In that sense, I honestly do feel it's to Mike's benefit to treat his licensed tour as a separate entity. That way, he is indeed just "going back to his own thing", which is separate from a fully formed Beach Boys.

KDS
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:14 AM »

I look at this way as well: If one is inclined to feel that Mike's "Beach Boys" are the "same" in the most basic sense as they were pre-1998, then it makes it pretty difficult to argue against the idea that he did functionally/procedurally fire Brian and Al (and Dave) in 2012. This is of course not actually the case. But if one is trying to kind of feel the whole thing out as if Mike's band in 2018 is just the "2018 version" of what existed in 2012 or in 1995 or whenever, then it becomes much harder to explain a willing Brian, Al, and Dave no longer being in the band.

In that sense, I honestly do feel it's to Mike's benefit to treat his licensed tour as a separate entity. That way, he is indeed just "going back to his own thing", which is separate from a fully formed Beach Boys.

Fair enough

Sure, it's not the same at the C50 lineup or previous lineups.   I won't dispute that. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 10:03:51 AM »

In all honesty I'll need a lot of time to get that far
Lady Lynda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 09:29:36 AM »

I'm a big fan of the book and the website looks great as well!
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 10:30:48 AM »

These are facts.  

Just wondering, how are Al's shows with Mike and Bruce in 1998 and 2011 grouped in the book?  With The Beach Boys 1961-1998 or the "M&B" section?  And is the tour with David Marks in 2008 part of the "M&B" section.  Don't have the book but want to get it soon.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »

Just wondering, how are Al's shows with Mike and Bruce in 1998 and 2011 grouped in the book?  With The Beach Boys 1961-1998 or the "M&B" section?  And is the tour with David Marks in 2008 part of the "M&B" section.  Don't have the book but want to get it soon.

I don’t have the book in front of me at the moment, but my recollection is that Al’s 2011 appearance is simply mentioned among dates listed under the Mike/Bruce dates. I can’t think of any other category to put that appearance under other than the Mike/Bruce tour.

I can’t recall how Al’s handful (possibly as few as two) of gigs with Mike and Bruce  in 1998 are represented.

As I understand it, there were not any non-Al dates booked under the “Beach Boys” name prior to Al’s departure. I would guess any gigs after Carl’s death with Al present were still “Beach Boys” gigs, while any others were Mike under the “California Beach Band” name until the beginning of July 1998 when Mike obtained a (at that point) non-exclusive license to tour under the BB name.

The easiest cut-off in my mind is either Al’s last gig in May or Mike’s first gig as the “Beach Boys” in July. I don’t think there were any “Beach Boys” shows in between those two dates.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 10:57:02 AM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx