gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:34:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Website I created  (Read 6537 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2018, 03:43:10 PM »

Hey-so I am still regularly contributing to the Bellagio Gigs/sessions site and this isn't a replacement but I created my own little site to show off stuff I collected doing research.  It is in its infancy, So you can currently see Gigs  from 1964 (view gigs and click on 1964)-with pictures/ads from each one.  Then if when you are at the homepage you click on the link at top right-you can look at a blog of updates to my book (in the format of the book) -currently from 1962 to 1966.  I will keep working on it.  There is also a place to contact me if you have info not known.
https://www.beachboysgigs.com
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »

Looks great so far!  Smiley I can already tell that this site could prove to be among the best on the group. There seem to be a few bugs though. I clicked on the year 1963, and it took me to the page for 1980.  LOL

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 01:40:28 AM »

Great, that oughta be an interesting site!
One thing: in the "Gigs"-section it shows under the 2000s the year dates of the 60s.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 02:09:49 AM »

What a labour of love! And a joy to visit.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 04:18:16 AM »

Thanks! As far as the glitches nothing exists for gigs except 64
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 05:20:21 AM »

I see one of Feb 21's openers was Gail Harris, presumably the same GH who guest sang on The Fabulous Wailers At The Castle... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BfmB5rJxhM

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 05:36:27 AM »

Looked at the home photo and decided not to browse any further.
Nobody - nobody - would make a site about the Fab4 and omit Sir Paul in the home photo.
Nobody would make a site about the Rolling Stones and omit Keith Richards.
Nobody would make a site about the Who and omit Pete Townshend.
I could go on and on, but I hope my point is made.

The world of Beach Boys fandom is really unique...  Huh
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 05:38:20 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 06:10:02 AM »

Ahh omitting Brian was not intentional I was just looking for a photo that worked-I have plenty of photos of the big man in the 1964 gigs section
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 06:12:44 AM »

After ALL these years...you still never cease to amaze with your dedication, commitment and hard work Ian.  Well done...and all the best with the new site.  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:21:24 AM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 09:05:27 AM »

Very cool stuff. *This* is the stuff that makes the message board and the fan/scholar community awesome.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 09:09:18 AM »

Nobody - nobody - would make a site about the Fab4 and omit Sir Paul in the home photo.

The world of Beach Boys fandom is really unique...  Huh

To be fair, it's a site devoted to Beach Boys Concerts, and for a large period of The Beach Boys concert history, Brian Wilson was not a touring member of the band.   

The same can't be said about The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Who. 
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:11 AM »

Looks great so far, Ian !

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 09:46:29 AM »

The world of Beach Boys fandom is really unique...  Huh

This is a joke post, right?

I rotate the banner photo (or whatever it's called) on my little BB Facebook page all the time. Sometimes it's the "Classic 5", sometimes it's the 70s lineup with Blondie and Ricky. Sometimes it's the 1981 lineup without Carl. Sometimes it's just a picture of Al.

The Beach Boys, as it pertains to their touring history, are NOT analogous to the Beatles at all.

If someone had a similar site for "The Who" and used a shot with Kenney Jones on drums instead of Keith Moon, I wouldn't cry foul.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:47:47 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 10:02:45 AM »

I just liked that photo and it hasn't been seen much-just looking for an image that isn't super well known-and from an interesting period in their history
KDS
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 10:05:49 AM »

I just liked that photo and it hasn't been seen much-just looking for an image that isn't super well known-and from an interesting period in their history

I don't see anything wrong with the photograph.   The website looks like a lot of fun. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 10:06:14 AM »

It's a great photo, and the website looks awesome. Definitely don't let a random comment (which apparently would constrict you mostly to 1962-1965 and 1976-1982 photos of the band) dissuade you from doing what you're doing. All good stuff.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 07:29:34 PM »

You can now view September to December 1963 in the Gigs section
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 12:20:50 AM »

Looks great so far

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 06:23:37 AM »

*Love* the news clippings/contemporary reports to go along with the gigs. This is truly the perfect companion to the "In Concert" book.

Any thought going forward to link to (or include within show listings your actual site) available setlists from the shows? I think that would be really interesting, to see all of it in context and also see what was actually played. I know setlists from shows in the early years are hard to come by, with recorded shows being the main source.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:27:18 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 06:36:44 AM »

I'm sure it's been discussed in the past, but it's interesting to see that Al upon rejoining had a more extended period of time playing that white Gibson SG than I had thought.

The photos of his first gig back at the Hollywood Bowl were somewhat common (all relatively speaking of course), and I had perhaps previously assumed because it was his first gig back that he simply borrowed an SG off another band or something and that it was a one-shot thing. But it looks like the October 31 '63 gig, almost two weeks later, still shows Al using the SG.

Do we have any knowledge of whether this was Al's guitar, or a rental, or was indeed a guitar borrowed off someone else? My recollection is that once he had his Strat, he was never seen with the SG again.

Al obviously had the Strat by early '64 based on numerous photos/films/videos, including the "Lost Concert."

Was the "Beach Boys Concert" cover photo actually taken at the December '63 Sacramento show? Al has the Strat on there, but I honestly had never thought that hard about whether that's just a random '64 BB concert shot or one taken at the actual gig.

Is there any chance Al's playing an SG on "Concert?" Probably not.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 06:38:43 AM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2018, 08:15:59 AM »

Some constructive criticism about the homepage, just my take on it:

- I happen to agree with "Thorgil", optics do matter and since you have a rather large (compared to most) pool of photos that do show Brian Wilson with the Beach Boys on stage and at public appearances, as shown in your book, there could be a photo or a rotating set of photos showing him especially on the homepage. And there could be a rarely seen photo as the home photo as well. I'm thinking your target audience may go beyond the message board crowd, so having a photo showing the original band with Brian, performing or at least on stage, may be a better visual representation of the site than having non-performance photos showing Bruce. Especially considering how many people for decades including my own parents in the late 70's confused Bruce with Brian.

- Again on the optics, and first impressions, unless the core audience of diehard message board posters is your target audience, I don't get why so much real estate on the homepage (the first page people will see) is devoted to praising and almost apologizing to Doe - and explaining the how's and why's. People for the most part don't give a damn, and are clicking the link for the Beach Boys because they're fans...You don't need to explain short of apologizing and praising Doe to these people coming to learn about the band's live gigs and see the photos. It felt like you were saying "I don't want to step on Andrew Doe's toes or his great, amazing website by doing this, but here is my BB resource...".

Ian, your research speaks for itself - The diehard fans will go to your site because they know the quality of your work, and those who are curious won't know or care about Doe's site or what came before if they want to learn more about the band. Don't apologize or feel like you're taking a bow to Doe especially on the homepage of a new site. Homepages are for putting out the image of the site overall and conveying the overall intent to people who click on the link.

Just a personal observation, when I clicked on the link to check it out (again, namely because I knew the reputation of the author/creator and wanted to see what he had to offer)...I see a non-performance photo of the band without Brian Wilson, and the first few lines of text I read were more about Andrew Doe than the actual site and content. I was less inclined to dig the site after that. Optics do matter.

And another - It's good you're doing this site. After certain events unfolded, I refuse to read, engage, or even come into contact with voluntarily anything that Andrew Doe has his hand or name in, in any way, even if it's hosting a webpage depository for other researchers to contribute. Since your research and legwork made up the bulk of that other resource anyway, I was glad to see it available on your new site away from there, I hope the removal process goes beyond this but this is a good start beyond your book.

- The layout of scrolling down the gigs is a little different, but will not be a problem to get used to. But would a more compact clickable table-style format be considered as more gigs and years are added, if the design wouldn't be a nightmare of coding? I guess it seems to me the gigs are spread out and you need to scroll down the entire page to find one you may be looking for, where a master index or something could be a point and click away to a specific show or week rather than scrolling through several dozen entries.

- Id suggest stopping the "Beach Boys" gigs at 1997 and picking up only for C50 in 2012 when they reunited, the lines won't be blurred that way unless you set up a separate section for Mike. I doubt there are many people who would be interested in a page with the 180 shows Mike played in 2015 or whatever the case would be, unless there is the time and energy to enter all those into the page and take up the bandwidth.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 08:30:10 AM »

- Id suggest stopping the "Beach Boys" gigs at 1997 and picking up only for C50 in 2012 when they reunited, the lines won't be blurred that way unless you set up a separate section for Mike. I doubt there are many people who would be interested in a page with the 180 shows Mike played in 2015 or whatever the case would be, unless there is the time and energy to enter all those into the page and take up the bandwidth.

While not as essential as their prime touring years, I think the Mike and Bruce era is still a part of BB history, and much like the SIP album, shouldn't be ignored.   

Especially if you factor in how the setlists were changed up with the addition of Scott Totten in 2007.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 08:30:52 AM »

While you can simply scroll all the way down a year there is a means to jump to a certain month. When you click on the year you will see months below it and if you click on them it jumps to that section
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2018, 08:34:18 AM »

In terms of set lists in 1964 they are very rare because we would need a concert reviewer to actually care about such things and in the 60s that was seldom the case
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2018, 08:41:13 AM »

My understanding is that the concert photos were taken in 1964. Indeed I don't think the bbs wore striped shirts in 1963. But I can't swear to it. I assume the set at most of the summer 1964 shows was the same as the 1964 Sacramento show
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx