gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:46:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 30 Years Ago today...  (Read 16236 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 22, 2018, 02:51:56 PM »

How big a deal and how widespread was the news of this foot-in-mouth situation back then?

It was early days for the HOF and from memory and without doing research, it’s first controversy. It did make the news in the regular press plus of course RS, Billboard etc.
I was so disappointed for the group. It was a sad time only a few years after Dennis passing away and Brian still involved with Landy. Like it or not, it was a recognition from your peers, many of whom were in the room that night. To be inducted those first few years with such luminaries as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Muddy Waters etc was such an honour and should have been treated as such. You do not embarrass your hosts let alone yourself as Mike did. Despite his success, he became that teenage uneducated gas pumping buffoon that evening. (Apologies to forecourt attendants)
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2018, 05:31:00 PM »

One of the more bizarre public meltdowns at an awards show I've ever seen.

At the time I was in the full flush of videotaping anything and everything about The Beach Boys from TV. I still have this stuff on VHS. Mike's speech got coverage from Entertainment Tonight (who also showed Dylan's retort) but shared space with the story of McCartney's no-show which, at the time, was the main story leading up to the HOF show. Mike's wackadoodle speech made Macca's diss a much smaller public spectacle after the fact. VH1 ran some highlights from the night superimposed on top of the beginnings of music videos from the inductees. When they played a Beach Boys video ("California Dreaming'" if I'm not mistaken) they just showed a clip of Brian's speech. They did the same later in the year at the beginning of the Kokomo video (it could've have been lost on them that Brian wasn't on the record). 

Mike's inflammatory speech got more attention in the printed press. In one of the news accounts, Brian is said to have asked a reporter "Do we still have a career?" after Mike's meltdown.

No one talks about it now but I certainly remember there being a lot of noise about how the Beach Boys should not even be mentioned in the same breath as The Beatles and Bob Dylan leading up to the ceremony. Remember at this time Pet Sounds wasn't available on CD yet and the cult of Brian Wilson was just start beginning to seep into youth consciousness (and it was mainly focused on cassettes of "Smile" bootlegs). While I had been a Beach Boys fan as early as the Endless Summer compilation (I was 5), I didn't become a full-on Brian Wilson fanatic until July of 1988 and back then I felt like an outsider or part of some underground club (kids today have it easy!). It was certainly a year of ups and downs that's for sure.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2018, 06:22:31 AM »

It's definitely true that the Beach Boys were in a different place in the "public consciousness" at that point in 1988 than they are now, or that they were even in the mid-late 90s or later.

I remember the feeling being that the BBs were being included on the back of a lot of early era hits. The focus was pretty exclusively on the 1963-66 material, with maybe a little less focus on PS than there would be today. Not that an induction today would all of a sudden focus on "Sunflower" or something.

But the early 1988 BBs were known to the masses as the early-mid 60s hit makers, and the guys were still out on the road playing the same rather stale setlist. This was the era of playing gigs after baseball games, etc. They hadn't even had the hit with "Kokomo" at this point.

Think about *that* for a moment: What if "Kokomo" had just become a hit when this ceremony took place? What if Mike had been in the same frame of mind, but was backed with the additional layer of ego afforded to someone who had had that one week at #1 with "Kokomo." I guarantee he would have pointed out how the Stones or McCartney hadn't had a #1 single lately.

But yeah, I think the BBs not really necessarily being seen (and wrongly so) as a true peer of Dylan or the Beatles by some back then certainly didn't help when it came to trying to absorb Mike's "speech."

But keep in mind as well, especially *within* the industry, Mike already had a reputation prior to the speech. He was already seen, wrongly or rightly, as the "commercial" guy while Brian had been the "art" guy. It was already a "thing" that Mike had not been the most supportive of "Pet Sounds" or "Smile."

There's that story I recall from the TNT Brian "tribute" from 2001 or so, where David Crosby is reading one of the pre-written intros to one of the songs or segments, and he gets to Mike's name and says something to the effect of "Do I *have* to say his name?" *That* sort of attitude probably had little or nothing to do with Mike's HOF speech. That attitude had been fomented based off of much more.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2018, 08:21:04 AM »

It was Carl Wilson who asked Ahmet Ertegun after Mike's speech "Is our career over?".

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2018, 08:54:54 AM »

At the time I was in the full flush of videotaping anything and everything about The Beach Boys from TV. I still have this stuff on VHS. Mike's speech got coverage from Entertainment Tonight (who also showed Dylan's retort) but shared space with the story of McCartney's no-show which, at the time, was the main story leading up to the HOF show. Mike's wackadoodle speech made Macca's diss a much smaller public spectacle after the fact. VH1 ran some highlights from the night superimposed on top of the beginnings of music videos from the inductees. When they played a Beach Boys video ("California Dreaming'" if I'm not mistaken) they just showed a clip of Brian's speech. They did the same later in the year at the beginning of the Kokomo video (it could've have been lost on them that Brian wasn't on the record). 

Mike's inflammatory speech got more attention in the printed press. In one of the news accounts, Brian is said to have asked a reporter "Do we still have a career?" after Mike's meltdown.

No one talks about it now but I certainly remember there being a lot of noise about how the Beach Boys should not even be mentioned in the same breath as The Beatles and Bob Dylan leading up to the ceremony. Remember at this time Pet Sounds wasn't available on CD yet and the cult of Brian Wilson was just start beginning to seep into youth consciousness (and it was mainly focused on cassettes of "Smile" bootlegs). While I had been a Beach Boys fan as early as the Endless Summer compilation (I was 5), I didn't become a full-on Brian Wilson fanatic until July of 1988 and back then I felt like an outsider or part of some underground club (kids today have it easy!). It was certainly a year of ups and downs that's for sure.

I agree and remember this stuff too, only it was Carl who made the comment.  Grin

But maybe you remember, there was more to it in terms of the actual event. Again, stuff that doesn't get remembered or reported as much as the speech, the McCartney no-show, etc.

This was the event, which was still new at the time and only the third ceremony overall, when musical director Paul Shaffer actually tried to organize the jam session at the end of the night so it wasn't a free-for-all. Credit to Shaffer, he saw the potential of having all that talent under one roof, and tried to corral them into something tangible to make some music with each other, and pair up artists who would not have performed together as formally. The first jams were very loose and impromptu affairs...for this one, something bigger had to be done. Paul was going around to the musicians asking them what they would want to do musically.

So Shaffer was going around to the artists in the room trying to get them to play some of their familiar songs, one unplanned example was he asked John Fogerty to play "Long Tall Sally" with Little Richard, but Richard had left...so Fogerty said well, if Richard isn't there I'll just do one of my own tunes...and he did a great Born On The Bayou with Nile Rodgers on guitar, and Nile was thrilled because he had been playing that song since it came out! And episodes like that went throughout the process...who would do what song, etc.

Billy Joel was asked to do something by the Beatles, he said he'd do it if he could play Hammond B3 organ...Shaffer said sure thing, and Billy ended up doing a great version of I Saw Her Standing There on B3 with the other musicians. And Mick Jagger with George Harrison doing backing vocals. Ringo initially turned down the offer but was drumming on stage anyway.

Julian Lennon did Stand By Me in tribute to his dad. Elton John (who inducted the Beach Boys) tore through some 50's rockers like Hound Dog, Les Paul played some lead guitar, Jeff Beck was there, etc. It was one of the better all-star jams despite some shaky songs due to the unrehearsed nature of the show.

Since Dylan was being inducted, Shaffer wanted to end with Like A Rolling Stone. Springsteen was up there too by this point, and it was a stage full of great musicians.

Here's where the initial point of this post comes in...

Mick Jagger was there to induct The Beatles, and was in and out of the jam session, with not much to do as a frontman. So they're playing through Dylan's tune, and Jeff Beck on guitar started riffing on Satisfaction, unplanned. The band kicks in, and Jagger simply took over. He and Springsteen were sharing vocals and stage moves, and Jagger was basically putting on his stage show and owning it as he's done since the 60's.

And THERE was the irony of Mike's speech, or one of several...

He called Jagger "chickenshit" earlier, challenging him to get up on stage and do what presumably Mike and the BB's did in Mike's mind, and here was Jagger not only doing just that, but tearing the place up with his performance.

Meanwhile the Beach Boys earlier in the night had tried to jam on "Barbara Ann", and the results were...well, maybe someone can find or post a video of that jam from that night, but it's pretty much fact that Jagger ended up blowing them off the stage, as did Billy Joel, Fogerty, and a number of others.

Again, what isn't written about or remembered as much is that after Mike threw down the gauntlet and called out Jagger personally, Jagger took up the challenge and blew the BB's off that stage that same night. Was it in good fun, good spirits? Perhaps, but Jagger actually showed what he could do after being called 'chickenshit' while the BB's "Barbara Ann" from the same night is barely remembered or discussed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2018, 09:16:49 AM »

It was only in the last decade or so that there was easy access to Mike's full speech. It looks like the Rock Hall posted it on YouTube in full in 2010.

I remember back in the late 90s tracking down a cassette tape that had most (but as it turns out not quite all) of Mike's speech (aired on some sort of radio special featuring highlights as I recall), and transcribing it for Dan Addington to put up on the web, as prior to that there was nothing but quick quotes or very short clips around. It was an infamous speech where relatively few had actually heard the whole thing.

Sometimes when such an epic thing is finally tracked down, it ends up not being so epic. Not the case with Mike's speech, where you can *absolutely* understand how this helped to cement his awful reputation in the business.

And then, when you're actually able to *watch* the thing on video and see how tweaked Mike is with that weird kind of zoned, deadened look in his eyes, it gets even more bizarre.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 23, 2018, 09:42:32 AM »

People who woke up to Howard Stern's radio show from roughly 1989 onward heard the speech Mike gave, in full or excerpts. I was a listener at that time, nearly every weekday morning, on 94 WYSP in Philly. Stern would start the show at 6am with a 10-15 minute montage of audio of various speeches, news clips, etc and Mike's HOF speech was a regular addition. He'd also have other infamous speeches where the speaker either flew off the rails, or was under some influence or another that caused the speech to be less than dignified, lol.

So even at that time, being a Stern listener, I'd hear Mike's speech replayed regularly, and even audio-only, it was bizarre...which is why Stern played it regularly. When you see the visuals, it's even more disturbing, as mentioned.

So even since then, just hearing the speech, I don't get much of a punk rock, screw-the-Establishment vibe from it as some others get.

If Mike had railed against the HOF, against the ceremony itself, against the whole notion of putting rock and roll in a museum, then yeah - It would have been different.

But it was Mike being Mike, with all the trappings of bitterness, grudges, ego, competition, and ultimately his problems with the other performers he called out directly regarding the Hall Of Fame...He was pissed off that they didn't come to the event!

So I don't see how the speech can be taken as an anti-Establishment styled railing against the event or the notion of a rock HOF when Mike was calling out the performers for NOT coming to the HOF event!

southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2018, 11:30:13 AM »

I agree and remember this stuff too, only it was Carl who made the comment.  Grin

But maybe you remember, there was more to it in terms of the actual event. Again, stuff that doesn't get remembered or reported as much as the speech, the McCartney no-show, etc.

This was the event, which was still new at the time and only the third ceremony overall, when musical director Paul Shaffer actually tried to organize the jam session at the end of the night so it wasn't a free-for-all. Credit to Shaffer, he saw the potential of having all that talent under one roof, and tried to corral them into something tangible to make some music with each other, and pair up artists who would not have performed together as formally. The first jams were very loose and impromptu affairs...for this one, something bigger had to be done. Paul was going around to the musicians asking them what they would want to do musically.

So Shaffer was going around to the artists in the room trying to get them to play some of their familiar songs, one unplanned example was he asked John Fogerty to play "Long Tall Sally" with Little Richard, but Richard had left...so Fogerty said well, if Richard isn't there I'll just do one of my own tunes...and he did a great Born On The Bayou with Nile Rodgers on guitar, and Nile was thrilled because he had been playing that song since it came out! And episodes like that went throughout the process...who would do what song, etc.

Billy Joel was asked to do something by the Beatles, he said he'd do it if he could play Hammond B3 organ...Shaffer said sure thing, and Billy ended up doing a great version of I Saw Her Standing There on B3 with the other musicians. And Mick Jagger with George Harrison doing backing vocals. Ringo initially turned down the offer but was drumming on stage anyway.

Julian Lennon did Stand By Me in tribute to his dad. Elton John (who inducted the Beach Boys) tore through some 50's rockers like Hound Dog, Les Paul played some lead guitar, Jeff Beck was there, etc. It was one of the better all-star jams despite some shaky songs due to the unrehearsed nature of the show.

Since Dylan was being inducted, Shaffer wanted to end with Like A Rolling Stone. Springsteen was up there too by this point, and it was a stage full of great musicians.

Mick Jagger was there to induct The Beatles, and was in and out of the jam session, with not much to do as a frontman. So they're playing through Dylan's tune, and Jeff Beck on guitar started riffing on Satisfaction, unplanned. The band kicks in, and Jagger simply took over. He and Springsteen were sharing vocals and stage moves, and Jagger was basically putting on his stage show and owning it as he's done since the 60's.

He called Jagger "chickenshit" earlier, challenging him to get up on stage and do what presumably Mike and the BB's did in Mike's mind, and here was Jagger not only doing just that, but tearing the place up with his performance.

Meanwhile the Beach Boys earlier in the night had tried to jam on "Barbara Ann", and the results were...well, maybe someone can find or post a video of that jam from that night, but it's pretty much fact that Jagger ended up blowing them off the stage, as did Billy Joel, Fogerty, and a number of others.

Again, what isn't written about or remembered as much is that after Mike threw down the gauntlet and called out Jagger personally, Jagger took up the challenge and blew the BB's off that stage that same night. Was it in good fun, good spirits? Perhaps, but Jagger actually showed what he could do after being called 'chickenshit' while the BB's "Barbara Ann" from the same night is barely remembered or discussed.

And not only that, but who is seen playing his famous tambourine and TRYING to share the mic with Jagger on "Satisfaction"...?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2018, 03:37:48 PM »

Ah, right, it was Carl.

Funny thing about Billy Joel and the perception of The Beach Boys in 1988. He made some derogatory comments about The Beach Boys around that time, unfavorably comparing them to The Four Seasons; the idea being that The Beach Boys were vanilla and that he and the other manly men from the East Coast preferred something with more guts to it like the music of The Four Seasons. I'd love to be able to find this quote. I think it was in an interview given between 1986-1988. It was symptomatic of how the group was perceived at that time. As a friend of mine oh so delicately put it "The Beach Boys are The Beatles for idiots" (he later recanted when I played him SMiLE stuff but never really got on board with Brian-fandom).
Anyway, it always struck me as sad, being a fan of both Billy and The Beach Boys, that a guy who knew so much about music could be so wrong. Years later when Mike was pitching this concert/album idea of guest stars joining the group on stage in Hawaii to celebrate their 35th anniversary he specifically mentioned Billy Joel. I remember thinking "yeah, that ain't gonna happen". Fast forward more years later and there's Billy crooning away on "Don't Worry Baby" at the All-Star Tribute to Brian Wilson and I'm thinking "Well, I guess he got over his Frankie Valli fixation or someone played him 'Pet Sounds'".

While I was never a Howard Stern listener, I'm sure he had a wild time with the clips from the HOF, but I really don't recall anyone trying to spin it as a punk rock/anti-authority speech at that time. It was seen more like a perfect example of why The Beach Boys were bubblegum and had no business being on stage with the greats.

Obviously, that perception changed dramatically. 
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2018, 04:01:36 PM »

Back in the 70's Billy Joel spent a tour or two opening up for the Boys (as did Springsteen.) When Carl passed he some very kind things to say about him (to the tune of, whenever Carl Wilson was around, he always made sure you were treated first class, opening act or not) and dedicated "Only The Good Die Young" to him in concert at his first show after Carl's death.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2018, 04:48:58 PM »

Back in the 70's Billy Joel spent a tour or two opening up for the Boys (as did Springsteen.) When Carl passed he some very kind things to say about him (to the tune of, whenever Carl Wilson was around, he always made sure you were treated first class, opening act or not) and dedicated "Only The Good Die Young" to him in concert at his first show after Carl's death.

Yes, which leads me to believe that Billy may have had a bad experience with The Beach Boys in the 70's and that's why he slammed them later on, or it was just macho posturing....
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2018, 07:38:31 AM »

I recall an interview where Mike expressed disappointment (or annoyance) with Billy Joel for turning down an invitation to join the BBs on their 25th Anniversary show. I think there's a quote on this in that old "In Their Own Words" book on the BBs. Something about how some people got too famous to do the gig with the BBs after having opened for the band in the olden days.

It was kinda true; with some notable exceptions, there was a b-list aspect to many of the guests on that 25th anniversary show.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2018, 07:39:31 AM »

Here are Mike's comments on the R&R HOF speech from a 2016 Rolling Stone piece:

So let's get back to meditation for a moment. Have there been periods where you haven't meditated?

"Oh, no, that would not be safe," he says, chuckling. "I need to meditate. Well, let's put it this way. It's not good for me to miss meditation. And not good for others, too."

One time he skipped was in 1988, on the night of the Beach Boys' induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Come time to make a speech to the crowd, he started off by saying, "We love harmony, and we love all people, too," after which he hurled insults at Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Billy Joel, Diana Ross and "chickenshit" Mick Jagger, while insinuating that he and the Beach Boys were bigger and better than any of them. He struck a grim-as-death, tight-lipped pose and was greeted with jeers and boos. At one point, he said, "I don't care what anybody in this room thinks," which was clear enough. He also said, "A lot of people are going to go out of this room thinking Mike Love is crazy," which was true too.

He scratches at his beard, recollecting this awful, reputation-cementing moment, and says just about the only thing he can say: "Well, I didn't get to the punchline."

Do you regret anything about that night?

"Yeah, I regret that I didn't meditate," he says. "It helps you deal with whatever you're dealing with. I meditate in order to cope with things."

KDS
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2018, 07:41:05 AM »

I recall an interview where Mike expressed disappointment (or annoyance) with Billy Joel for turning down an invitation to join the BBs on their 25th Anniversary show. I think there's a quote on this in that old "In Their Own Words" book on the BBs. Something about how some people got too famous to do the gig with the BBs after having opened for the band in the olden days.

It was kinda true; with some notable exceptions, there was a b-list aspect to many of the guests on that 25th anniversary show.

Thanks to changing perceptions, I think they'd have had quite a guest list had they elected to do a similar 50th Anniversary Special.   

Hopefully, more than just Adam Levine who sang with them at the Grammys that year. 
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2018, 11:59:28 PM »

Thanks to changing perceptions, I think they'd have had quite a guest list had they elected to do a similar 50th Anniversary Special.   

Hopefully, more than just Adam Levine who sang with them at the Grammys that year. 

The Brian Wilson tribute special from 2001 is probably the most impressive guest star lineup any of them have had.  Billy Joel, Elton John, David Crosby, Paul Simon, Aimee Mann, Carly Simon, Jimmy Webb, Wilson Phillips, Vince Gill,  the then-recently reunited Go-Go's... what a concert.

KDS
« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2018, 05:18:05 AM »

The Brian Wilson tribute special from 2001 is probably the most impressive guest star lineup any of them have had.  Billy Joel, Elton John, David Crosby, Paul Simon, Aimee Mann, Carly Simon, Jimmy Webb, Wilson Phillips, Vince Gill,  the then-recently reunited Go-Go's... what a concert.

Yeah, I still have yet to pick up a copy of that one.  Brian is extremely fortunate.  Usually an artist needs to pass away before being treated to such a A list tribute lineup (ie. Freddie Mercury, George Harrison)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2018, 07:19:52 AM »

The TNT tribute was a bit odd. It did have a bit of an air of Brian being dead even though he was there.

The best thing that came out of that TNT tribute show was Brian finally be cajoled into doing "Heroes and Villains" for the first time. One could argue this paved the way for "Smile", etc.

KDS
« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2018, 07:23:58 AM »

The TNT tribute was a bit odd. It did have a bit of an air of Brian being dead even though he was there.

The best thing that came out of that TNT tribute show was Brian finally be cajoled into doing "Heroes and Villains" for the first time. One could argue this paved the way for "Smile", etc.

It probably did.  Was the TNT Tribute before or after the Christmas party where Brian sat at a piano and banged out H&V?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2018, 07:33:48 AM »

It probably did.  Was the TNT Tribute before or after the Christmas party where Brian sat at a piano and banged out H&V?

Dunno, but getting Brian to do the full song *on stage* in concert was the key move. Brian had noodled on the song over the years. It wasn't quite as "off limits" as maybe some would have said even back then. He took a back set to numerous live performance of the song with the BB's up to 1982 or so, and also goes into the song on the "Cocaine/Hamburger Tapes." But I think Brian singing that lead at Radio City Music Hall was a big step.

KDS
« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2018, 07:36:38 AM »

Dunno, but getting Brian to do the full song *on stage* in concert was the key move. Brian had noodled on the song over the years. It wasn't quite as "off limits" as maybe some would have said even back then. He took a back set to numerous live performance of the song with the BB's up to 1982 or so, and also goes into the song on the "Cocaine/Hamburger Tapes." But I think Brian singing that lead at Radio City Music Hall was a big step.

No doubt. 

Lately, it almost seems as though he wants to put Smile behind him again.   He did Surf's Up for most of the first leg of the NPP tour, then dropped it.  Then, Our Prayer / H&V was dropped as the opener around September 2016. 
Lady Lynda
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2018, 09:45:26 AM »

Brian's speech was likeable, professional, and appropriate even if it was completely Landy driven.  It's a shame Carl wasn't given more of a chance to speak.
Anyone in the music industry or beyond who is intelligent and knows anything about Mike Love I'm sure generally disregards anything that he has to say. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2018, 10:41:59 AM »

[quote author=KDS link=topic=25743.msg629021#msg629021 date=1516894598

Lately, it almost seems as though he wants to put Smile behind him again.   He did Surf's Up for most of the first leg of the NPP tour, then dropped it.  Then, Our Prayer / H&V was dropped as the opener around September 2016. 
[/quote]

Wish they would revive the Our Prayer/HV.
Not 100% sure, but think those were taken out because of problems with Our Prayer. It seemed like all of a sudden I was reading reports of that song sounding "off", then it and HV were dropped.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2018, 10:55:36 AM »

[quote author=KDS link=topic=25743.msg629021#msg629021 date=1516894598

Wish they would revive the Our Prayer/HV.
Not 100% sure, but think those were taken out because of problems with Our Prayer. It seemed like all of a sudden I was reading reports of that song sounding "off", then it and HV were dropped.
[/quote]

Maybe OP/H&V will make a return with Brian's scheduled "Greatest Hits" show in April
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2018, 12:22:25 PM »

"Heroes and Villains" was performed by Brian several times in 2017, most recently in May in Hollywood. It was indeed most recently a "regular" in the setlist in 2016.

Someone in the band (as I recall) mentioned that Brian has said he isn't to doing verbose songs like "Busy Doin' Nothin'" or "Surf's Up." I think he just finds them a chore to sing. "Heroes and Villains" may be a somewhat similar case. This is why I figured another "Smile" tour was and is pretty unlikely.

I've long thought it would be a no-brainer to just hand H&V to Al to sing; he has always sounded great on that one.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2018, 12:29:30 PM »

I've long thought it would be a no-brainer to just hand H&V to Al to sing; he has always sounded great on that one.

I've always thought of H&V as one of the songs Brian had sung great on, but I would be thrilled to hear Al sing it again.
Maybe Brian could still sing the "Cantina" section.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx