gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:10:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 30 Years Ago today...  (Read 16231 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 10:01:14 AM »

Disappointed that Mike didn't commemorate the anniversary with a post about it on his Facebook page…
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 10:41:34 AM »

Mike generally avoids mentioning things that went south in terms of himself and opinions toward him. Things like SIP, "Club Kokomo", Be True To Your Bud, and a laundry list of other missteps and failures - they're just ignored or glossed over entirely in telling the history. But I remember him on Howard Stern back in '92 or so actually kind of doubling down on the whole event and not feeling apologetic or anything similar, so I'm not surprised he didn't make note of it but at the same time I'm surprised he didn't. Hmm.  Smiley

I think the mindset may have been if he had noted it on an official social media outlet, fans who had not seen his antics like interrupting a bandmate's speech and the rest of it (as the video posted here shows clearly and unedited) might see a side of Mike that would turn their opinions of him negative in some way, and that's obviously not what they'd want at Love HQ.

Even before the actual speech, that whole mic-adjusting routine looks BAD. Very bad. As in, it's just not something that one does as someone else (a bandmate, colleague, and family member no less)  is delivering a speech, no matter what the venue or the audience was or is. And the look in Mike's eyes, in that GIF I posted with Julian Lennon's reaction...Mike looks for all the world like he's about to explode in anger after his Mop Tops line, and it's bizarre to say the least. It's the look more expected from a man before a fistfight breaks out, not on the dais delivering a speech. Not the PR you want to get out to an unknowing fanbase.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 11:08:33 AM »

Does anyone know of any pictures of Mike where he isn't wearing a hat post 1976?

and from Current Affair, another shot of Mike in a hot tub, remembering on the same show there were shots of him oiling himself up shirtless and hat-less.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:11:25 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »

Regarding the hats...keep in mind, this is a man who did the ALS "Ice Bucket Challenge" a few years ago, where a bucket of ice water was dumped over his head while he was wearing a ballcap...and his hat did NOT come off. It's uncanny. If you did that to most men wearing a ballcap, the cap would come off in the deluge of ice water. Not Mike.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2018, 11:32:39 AM »

Regarding the hats...keep in mind, this is a man who did the ALS "Ice Bucket Challenge" a few years ago, where a bucket of ice water was dumped over his head while he was wearing a ballcap...and his hat did NOT come off. It's uncanny. If you did that to most men wearing a ballcap, the cap would come off in the deluge of ice water. Not Mike.

Do you think Mike and Trump share tips on how to keep that head covered? Trump picked up on the self-promoting baseball caps.  I'm thinking Mike rejected that creation on top of Trump's head?! But maybe the "glue down" process.  Grin
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 11:36:44 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2018, 01:37:35 PM »

Do you think Mike and Trump share tips on how to keep that head covered? Trump picked up on the self-promoting baseball caps.  I'm thinking Mike rejected that creation on top of Trump's head?! But maybe the "glue down" process.  Grin

It's post like the one above that cause me to love this forum and hate it at the same time. Oh, well.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2018, 04:21:35 PM »

Do you think Mike and Trump share tips on how to keep that head covered? Trump picked up on the self-promoting baseball caps.  I'm thinking Mike rejected that creation on top of Trump's head?! But maybe the "glue down" process.  Grin

I'm guessing staples and/or gorilla glue

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2018, 04:22:05 PM »

Do you think Mike and Trump share tips on how to keep that head covered? Trump picked up on the self-promoting baseball caps.  I'm thinking Mike rejected that creation on top of Trump's head?! But maybe the "glue down" process.  Grin

It's post like the one above that cause me to love this forum and hate it at the same time. Oh, well.

Why do you say that?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2018, 07:01:41 PM »

Every thing was wrong with Mikes speech but i dont know what everyone is hating on Mike for fixing Brians mic. Brian's bent down two feet trying to talk into a mic of something he obviously didn't memorize. i thought that was nice.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2018, 07:56:41 PM »

Every thing was wrong with Mikes speech but i dont know what everyone is hating on Mike for fixing Brians mic. Brian's bent down two feet trying to talk into a mic of something he obviously didn't memorize. i thought that was nice.

The mic thing can be taken in a few different ways but wasn't a big deal for me; the gif showing Julian Lennon reacting to Mike's speech kind of brought home the human aspect of Mike's speech to me and that was what I was reacting to. The mic thing was more a wtf thing for me

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2018, 10:40:35 PM »

I'm guessing staples and/or gorilla glue

Gorilla, and not horse? I'm thinking maybe the hat glue was referenced secretly by Brian with the "can I get a horse in here" comment in '66…

Unfortunately it seems nobody taught MR. (mike) ED(ward) the yays and neighs of proper conduct.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 10:44:13 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2018, 10:49:57 PM »

All the talk about Dylan's and Elton's comments...look at Julian Lennon's reactions after Mike mentions the Mop Tops. It's the classic "What the f*ck is this?" expression... Grin

Yeah, it’s like “dude, my dad is dead...”
I didn't really pick up on that until I read your post. Man, what a careless and insensitive thing to say. After seeing Julian's response I feel more sad for him than anger though. I would imagine that later on in privacy Mike would have felt pretty shitty when he realized what he'd said.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2018, 01:07:00 AM »

I'm one of the few people (the only one here?) who likes Mike's speech from the Hall of Fame ... true, he seemed a little nutty that night and his point was muddy ...

BUT he basically told off the whole rock and roll elite. The Hall of Fame (along with things like Rolling Stone magazine) are a lame joke, so good for Mike and the Beach Boys that night  in my opinion.

HE tried tp upstage his cousin whilst the mentioned cousin was doing a speech.  He's a dick.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2018, 01:27:42 AM »

I've seen similar things happen with other people. Maybe the sound system at the venue sucked and Brian couldn't be heard.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2018, 08:17:49 AM »

If you look at the speech (and mic adjustment) from Mike's narrative that he has been wronged at every turn, then it all makes sense.

I will defend him to the point of saying "I'm glad my family's dirty laundry isn't aired in public", but I look at him and think, how can someone have been so lucky in life and be so ungrateful?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2018, 09:09:29 AM »

I love Al's comments from his 2000 Goldmine interview about the HOF ceremony:

Let's go back to the Beach Boys' induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. It was a bittersweet night. It was an amazing honor that was lessened by Love's bizarre speech. What are your memories of that evening?

It was one of the early inductions. It was such a monumental event because of the magnitude of the stars that were there. It made us feel almost humbled by it. It was the Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Surpremes, The Drifters who were inducted. So many great stars. John Fogerty was there, Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, who inducted us, Billy Joel, Paul Simon. The stage was so jammed when we did the jam session at the end that I didn't even run into Paul Simon. It was awesome to be inducted. It was a mixed pleasure. Brian opened up with a speech of his own, written by his surrogate father, Gene Landy. The nutty professor, Gene Landy, who ended up writing a book with Brian. He scripted everything Brian did and said, so it was a little bit unusual and stilted. There were words there that Brian never uses in his speech. I could tell that. Then Mike was just dying to get to the microphone. As we were leaving the stage it seemed as if - Carl was trying to get us off the stage so the next artist could get inducted. Bob Dylan was waiting in the wings. Mike just drifted back to the microphone telling everybody how fuc ked it was that people that were still living weren't there, like McCartney. I'm not really sure what to this day he was trying to accomplish other then maybe the politics of the record business were not to his liking. But this was not an event to discuss the politics of the record business. That's a discussion you have at another time.

Were you, Carl and Brian embarrassed or just plain angry by his speech?

Of course, both. I remember meeting Dylan backstage and Bob saying, "What's going on?" [laughs] He said, "I'm sure glad he didn't mention me." [laughs]

When you returned to your table, did you say anything to Mike about his wacky speech?

He was sitting next to Muhammad [Ali] so I didn't want to start anything. [laughs] Just kidding. But I immediately went over to George [Harrison] and Ringo and I said, "Geez, guys, I really want to apologize for that speech. My partner's not feeling too well." I said something to that effect. [laughs] They put their heads on my shoulder. That was really touching. When I was leaning down between them Ringo just kind of came over and put his head next to mine. He said, "Oh that's okay, we love you guys." George did the same thing. They were really nice.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:12:00 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2018, 10:00:07 AM »

I'm one of the few people (the only one here?) who likes Mike's speech from the Hall of Fame ... true, he seemed a little nutty that night and his point was muddy ...

BUT he basically told off the whole rock and roll elite. The Hall of Fame (along with things like Rolling Stone magazine) are a lame joke, so good for Mike and the Beach Boys that night  in my opinion.

HE tried tp upstage his cousin whilst the mentioned cousin was doing a speech.  He's a dick.

Ha seriously? You think I'm saying Mike interrupting Brian's speech to adjust his mike is a great moment for the Beach Boys? You see what you wanna see and hear what you wanna hear, as Nilsson said in The Point.

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2018, 10:25:22 AM »

Let's go back to the Beach Boys' induction into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame. It was a bittersweet night. It was an amazing honor that was lessened by Love's bizarre speech. What are your memories of that evening?

It was one of the early inductions. It was such a monumental event because of the magnitude of the stars that were there. It made us feel almost humbled by it. It was the Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Surpremes, The Drifters who were inducted. So many great stars. John Fogerty was there, Mick Jagger, Jeff Beck, Bruce Springsteen, Elton John, who inducted us, Billy Joel, Paul Simon. The stage was so jammed when we did the jam session at the end that I didn't even run into Paul Simon. It was awesome to be inducted. It was a mixed pleasure. Brian opened up with a speech of his own, written by his surrogate father, Gene Landy. The nutty professor, Gene Landy, who ended up writing a book with Brian. He scripted everything Brian did and said, so it was a little bit unusual and stilted. There were words there that Brian never uses in his speech. I could tell that. Then Mike was just dying to get to the microphone. As we were leaving the stage it seemed as if - Carl was trying to get us off the stage so the next artist could get inducted. Bob Dylan was waiting in the wings. Mike just drifted back to the microphone telling everybody how fuc ked it was that people that were still living weren't there, like McCartney. I'm not really sure what to this day he was trying to accomplish other then maybe the politics of the record business were not to his liking. But this was not an event to discuss the politics of the record business. That's a discussion you have at another time.

Of course, both. I remember meeting Dylan backstage and Bob saying, "What's going on?" [laughs] He said, "I'm sure glad he didn't mention me." [laughs]

When you returned to your table, did you say anything to Mike about his wacky speech?

He was sitting next to Muhammad [Ali] so I didn't want to start anything. [laughs] Just kidding. But I immediately went over to George [Harrison] and Ringo and I said, "Geez, guys, I really want to apologize for that speech. My partner's not feeling too well." I said something to that effect. [laughs] They put their heads on my shoulder. That was really touching. When I was leaning down between them Ringo just kind of came over and put his head next to mine. He said, "Oh that's okay, we love you guys." George did the same thing. They were really nice.

I understand Brian was mortified and some of those mentioned by Mike let him know they still loved him and didn't blame him...trusted friends as sources, wasn't there myself.  We all do stupid stuff.  I think Mike has a good side, and have seen it - he needs to express it more and the ego-based, greed, jealousy less.  That's all. Still waiting...

As far as his hair, I was just making a joke. We all have issues as we grow older.  I wouldn't want a lot of scrutiny of my physical appearance at this point. I think it speaks to his better taste that he didn't do the thing on top of his head.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:27:30 AM by Debbie KL » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2018, 12:28:54 PM »

I understand Brian was mortified and some of those mentioned by Mike let him know they still loved him and didn't blame him...trusted friends as sources, wasn't there myself.  We all do stupid stuff.  I think Mike has a good side, and have seen it - he needs to express it more and the ego-based, greed, jealousy less.  That's all. Still waiting...

As far as his hair, I was just making a joke. We all have issues as we grow older.  I wouldn't want a lot of scrutiny of my physical appearance at this point. I think it speaks to his better taste that he didn't do the thing on top of his head.
I've made bald jokes about him too but that part of it was in good fun because I'm in the same boat!

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2018, 01:17:19 PM »

I understand Brian was mortified and some of those mentioned by Mike let him know they still loved him and didn't blame him...trusted friends as sources, wasn't there myself.  We all do stupid stuff.  I think Mike has a good side, and have seen it - he needs to express it more and the ego-based, greed, jealousy less.  That's all. Still waiting...

Landy was likely there in attendance (probably by side of the backstage area), right? I wonder what Landy thought right at that moment that Mike got egotistical and rudely stole Brian’s spotlight? I could *almost* imagine Landy having been motivated to personally run out to the stage to push back to Mike taking the mic away from Brian. Could you imagine if that had happened?

Not trying to paint Landy as a good guy, because he was absolutely a mega sick bastard himself, but since he was pushing the “Brian’s family/band is toxic to Brian” narrative (which I believe was partially true), I could see him trying to be a hero and doing that. I wonder how many people have in fact ever stood up to Mike in that manner.

I feel pretty confident that Mike would not have done what he’d done if Denny had been alive and in attendance onstage with them. Because Denny might have kicked Mike’s ass right then and there. That literally would have been the greatest anti-bully moment in the history of rock, akin to the scene in Back to the Future where George punches out Biff.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 01:18:41 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »

Mike calling out "The Mop Tops" as he did that night, in that setting, might lead to questions about the whole deal with "Pisces Brothers", and the sentiment contained therein, since George Harrison was there that night too. Just watching the speech, the look in Mike's eyes and his body language...he looked like he was getting ready to brawl rather than give a speech. Was he miffed at Harrison at that time for some reason, his "Pisces Brother", enough to publicly call him out?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2018, 01:50:25 PM »

Mike calling out "The Mop Tops" as he did that night, in that setting, might lead to questions about the whole deal with "Pisces Brothers", and the sentiment contained therein, since George Harrison was there that night too. Just watching the speech, the look in Mike's eyes and his body language...he looked like he was getting ready to brawl rather than give a speech. Was he miffed at Harrison at that time for some reason, his "Pisces Brother", enough to publicly call him out?

Oh to have been a fly on the wall on the limo ride home for any of the BBs' (or any of the other bands there that night).

How big a deal and how widespread was the news of this foot-in-mouth situation back then?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »

Mike's most brutal point seemed to be against McCartney and others (Diana Ross I guess?) specifically not being at the ceremony. (Ironic that Mike skipped the Hawthorne dedication in 2005, but anywho.....)

His comment about the "Mop Tops" weirdly seemed to be even more broad, and seemed to be in relation to the Beach Boys' hectic, busy touring schedule. I guess Mike was trying to say the Beatles were wusses because they weren't touring more because, John was dead? I guess? Congratulations, Mike. You are indeed able to perform more shows each year than the deceased John Lennon.

What I still haven't been able to fully ascertain is whether Mike, at the time of the speech, was aware that Mick Jagger was in the audience. He seems to think not, as he famously calls Jagger "chickens**t" to get on stage with the Beach Boys, and makes some sort of reference to "he's gonna have to stay in England." Jagger was indeed in the audience and indeed got on stage with the BBs and the rest of the stars in attendance.

While Mike has seemingly never *volunteered* discussing the speech in later years, he seems to be fine discussing it if asked. He doesn't seem to really have a detailed, straight explanation for it. He has made seemingly half-joking/half-serious references to having "not meditated" that day. I think he said in one interview that they "didn't let (him) get to the punchline."

Contrary to what some folks may think or say about discussing Mike's speech being too negative or unproductive, Mike's 1988 Rock Hall speech *IS* a *VERY* important part of the story. It helped to cement Mike's bad reputation, and didn't reflect well on the band as a whole obviously.

But a good hunk of the BB story and image involves Mike's bad reputation among some fans and in the industry, and that speech is a big part of that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2018, 01:58:49 PM »

My biggest pet peeve concerning Mike's HOF speech, a peeve which thankfully does not often come up, is when people try to frame Mike's speech as anti-establishment or stickin' it to the man, or some sort of treatise on why the R&R HOF is messed up.

Telling the R&R HOF how ridiculous and bloated and political they were and are is most certainly needed.

Mike's speech was NOT that speech whatsoever. Mike's speech was about his own weird hangups and meandering thought process.

His speech was ironically something closer (in tone/intent more than content) to Jeff Beck's speech when Beck was inducted several years later as part of The Yardbirds. Beck essentially ironically pointed out how the Yardbirds had fired him and he didn't feel particularly proud to be there. And even in this case, Beck actually had a stronger case for being disenfranchised than Mike.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »

Also keep in mind that Mike giving a speech like that now, or even in the later 90s, would have resulted in significantly MORE blowback.

The early inductions I don't believe were even televised, not live nor even in edited form later on. I remember this because early induction footage like the Beatles in '88 or even the historical 3-song Cream reunion in 1993 weren't actually televised and we had to rely on "circulating" videotapes making the rounds.

Even when they started televising highlights from the show in the mid-late 90s, at first it was still done the old-fashioned way in a ballroom with an audience of industry people.

It has only been in more recent years that they've moved the ceremony to huge arenas, sold tickets to the public, etc.

Mike's '88 speech made headlines despite a private audience full of industry people and no television coverage (other than news reports, etc.). Imagine that speech happening now in front of 20,000 people in an arena, to say nothing of everyone catching it on their phones even if HBO (or whomever) chose to edit stuff out later.

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx