gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:28:48 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 30 Years Ago today...  (Read 16225 times)
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2018, 11:09:47 AM »

The Beach Boys (Brian, Carl, Dennis, Al and Mike) were inducted by Elton John into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame alongside The Beatles, Bob Dylan, The Supremes, and The Drifters.  Also Mike Love gave an embarrassing speech…

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »

Relive that highlight in the band's history here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZSAQX2uuUY

Mike's speech hits the same bitter tone as his book and many, many interviews after this. And as Brian's speech is hitting the right chords with the audience, Mike steps in to interrupt by adjusting a mic and a few random comments for reasons that are still impossible to figure out other than a desire to be the focal point and interrupt a good speech from his cousin. Then he gets his turn...and has to be played off by Paul Shaffer playing GV.

All the talk about Dylan's and Elton's comments...look at Julian Lennon's reactions after Mike mentions the Mop Tops. It's the classic "What the f*ck is this?" expression... Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 11:35:39 AM »

Brian's expression..."WTF, Mike?"

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 11:48:42 AM »

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »

Brian on those glasses reminds me of some of those classic photos from the Pet Sounds sessions.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 12:08:14 PM »

Brian on those glasses reminds me of some of those classic photos from the Pet Sounds sessions.

That's true! I never thought of that but it's basically the same square frame.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 12:32:31 PM »

Good lord, this is tactless on the most childish level tactless can get. Mike completely throws Brian off (watch the video), and when you’re reading from a piece of paper you want to be speaking down into a microphone anyways.

Then Mike gets on and makes the most hypocritical speech I’ve ever heard, “we’re all about harmony but basically f*** everyone here (or not here) in the audience.”

What a great honor though, really glad to see these guys get the recognition they deserve.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 01:02:37 PM »

Leave the mic adjustment to Bruce....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 01:10:56 PM »

56 years of history right there in one short clip. What a piece of work.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 01:12:31 PM »

All the talk about Dylan's and Elton's comments...look at Julian Lennon's reactions after Mike mentions the Mop Tops. It's the classic "What the f*ck is this?" expression... Grin

Yeah, it’s like “dude, my dad is dead...”

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 01:17:00 PM »

Exactly. Julian's reaction to Mike saying "We did about a hundred and eighty performances last year, I'd like to see the Mop Tops match that" is very short but priceless:

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 01:43:21 PM »

Ouch....  Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 01:49:23 PM »

Classless.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 02:07:11 PM »

Ouch....  Roll Eyes

Add a ‘D’, end with an ‘e’.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »

Pretty much.

I mean,  I'll go balls to the wall defending him artistically when he merits it (and its far more than he generally gets credit for) but this is the reason why "I hate Mike" posts exist. It'sa  damn shame but he does it to himself

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
willmansell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 02:16:47 PM »

Does anyone know of any pictures of Mike where he isn't wearing a hat post 1976?

"Commerce and art man, that's a tough thing"
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 02:48:52 PM »

https://www.gettyimages.co.nz/event/dodger-stadium-and-the-beach-boys-celebrate-50th-anniversaries-beginning-opening-day-142540700#the-beach-boys-al-jardine-bruce-johnston-mike-love-and-brian-wilson-picture-id142646242
KDS
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 02:49:14 PM »

Does anyone know of any pictures of Mike where he isn't wearing a hat post 1976?

He's actually posted quite a few on Facebook in recent years.  
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »

I think this may have been the primer for all the hate and anti-myKe websites like Why I Hate myKe luHv, ,myKe luHv Is An Asshole, myKe luHv Is A Douchebag, etc. There are probably more, as there should be, but if anyone knows, I'd appreciate knowing. Then there's YouTube, and just lately with the release of Unleash, The Beach Boys Facebook Page with lots of juicy opinions of that piece of sh*t. Additionally, I'm not for one second buying that horsecrap story about him not meditating before his infamous speech. I can easily see that toad with that 'tude 24/7.  Evil

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
DonnyL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 03:22:59 PM »

I'm one of the few people (the only one here?) who likes Mike's speech from the Hall of Fame ... true, he seemed a little nutty that night and his point was muddy ...

BUT he basically told off the whole rock and roll elite. The Hall of Fame (along with things like Rolling Stone magazine) are a lame joke, so good for Mike and the Beach Boys that night  in my opinion.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 05:49:30 PM »

That's true! I never thought of that but it's basically the same square frame.
I actually thought they might be the same ones for a minute.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
KDS
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 07:17:00 PM »

I'm one of the few people (the only one here?) who likes Mike's speech from the Hall of Fame ... true, he seemed a little nutty that night and his point was muddy ...

BUT he basically told off the whole rock and roll elite. The Hall of Fame (along with things like Rolling Stone magazine) are a lame joke, so good for Mike and the Beach Boys that night  in my opinion.

The RNRHOF is a joke, but I think Mike didnt really tell them off as much as calling out The Beatles and Stones. 

I often disagree with Mike's detractors, but Mike's speech was pretty embarassing. 

Although, that being said, I'd bet if Keith Richards or Ozzy Osbourne made a speech like that, it would be revered. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 07:22:04 PM »

The RNRHOF is a joke, but I think Mike didnt really tell them off as much as calling out The Beatles and Stones. 

I often disagree with Mike's detractors, but Mike's speech was pretty embarassing. 

Although, that being said, I'd bet if Keith Richards or Ozzy Osbourne made a speech like that, it would be revered. 

If Keith or Ozzy made that type of speech I would've expressed huge disappointment.  Well, retrospectively as I was 10 back then. I hate it when musicians take shots at other musicians,  especially unwarranted.

KDS
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 07:32:07 PM »

If Keith or Ozzy made that type of speech I would've expressed huge disappointment.  Well, retrospectively as I was 10 back then. I hate it when musicians take shots at other musicians,  especially unwarranted.

Personally, I wouldnt be a fan of Keef or Ozzy doing that, but if they did, it would be written off more as a rockstar moment. 

If Mike was going to take a shot, it shouldve been at the Hall for not including Bruce Johnston
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 08:24:40 PM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx