gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:38:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think did better in 1966?
The Beach Boys
The Beatles

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1966: The Beach Boys vs. The Beatles  (Read 6811 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2018, 01:29:04 AM »

Hey guys, here's the next one....

one album (Pet Sounds) and one (then) non-album single (Good Vibrations)

vs. one album (Revolver), one non-album single (Paperback Writer c/w Rain) and a song released on a comp (Bad Boy).

Now, which band do you think did better in 1966? Look forward to seeing how the result comes out.

In voting, make sure you go only by your personal preference (not the historical significance, critical or commercial success) and only consider then-released tracks/albums  listed above.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2018, 04:40:58 AM »

Beach Boys win 1966 for me. I love Revolver, but Pet Sounds blows it clean out of the water. Easy year. Easy vote.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2018, 06:14:07 AM »

The Beach Boys.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:18:56 AM »

Don't have to think about it whatsoever. The boys win.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 08:56:52 AM »

Finally, I can vote for a group and not feel bad about it! The Beach Boys! To me, '63-'65 were a tie. And that's not me being lazy. It was very, very hard for me to cast my vote one way or the other. Interestingly, the total votes cast for '63-'65 were 49-47 in favor of the Beach Boys. Very close!

Despite being able to confidently vote for the Beach Boys in '66, it was still close. Put Revolver up against any other album ever made and I'm probably going with Revolver. Rain nearly equals Good Vibrations for me and when I add in Paperback Writer and Bad Boy, I'm probably going Beatles (for non-album songs). Still, my connection to the music and lyrics of Pet Sounds is just too great! This might be a good time to dig up that 'favorite collaborator' thread and cast my vote for Tony Asher.

Enjoy this while it lasts...

Every wave is new until it breaks.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 09:07:57 AM »

In 1966, The Beatles released an essential album (although, they have a few) called Revolver. 

However, The Beach Boys also released an essential album (their lone one) called Pet Sounds.

Tough one, but if I play each album front to back, I have to give the nod to Pet Sounds.   
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 10:12:46 AM »

Man, this is a *TOUGH* one. Revolver was one of those seminal albums for me, I got the Capitol US vinyl reissue in 1986 or so before all the UK CD reissues came out, when I was like 12, and it absolutely floored me. I used to record myself on a little shoebox cassette recorder practicing trying to sing along with songs like Here There And Everywhere, and just starting to play and learn guitar, it was one of those albums that helped me learn what I needed to learn about playing music and also the *sounds* on that album...like something as simple as the snare sound on Yellow Submarine, and Ringo's amazing drumming on She Said She Said. Then there was Tomorrow Never Knows, although the documentary Compleat Beatles turned me on to that one even before I had the album.

Then there is the song Rain. Ringo's drumming yet again is off the charts, the overall sound, the way it was recorded, the whole ball of wax. Another prime influence in how I like records to sound to this day.

And Revolver was one album that pointed me in the direction of doing music as a serious thing, actually it was an obsession and I credit Revolver with sustaining that and making it into something I actually ended up doing as a full time gig.

BUT...Pet Sounds...what can I say? That was also a life-changer, and stoked the flames on me wanting to learn *how* did Brian arrange all of that...and it led me to seriously study arranging and production and writing and all that stuff. And Pet Sounds still brings tears to my eyes, no matter how many times I hear it. It has my #1 favorite song of all time Wouldn't It Be Nice, the song perhaps closest to my heart and which I tell anyone is the best song of all time, recording, production, performance, structure, arrangement, writing...the studio version is seriously as good as it gets. Envisioned, created, and made real by a guy in his early 20's with one good ear named Brian Wilson.

Factor in Good Vibrations, and the whole scene surrounding Brian Wilson and a seemingly endless and quirky stream of ideas and grand plans to make the best music out of anyone...Summer into Fall 1966, absolutely one of the most amazing peaks of any self-trained musician in his early to mid 20's, heck of any musician, that exists in the history of pop. Smile...need anything else after that?

And all of these crazy Brian ideas crystallized into a #1 smash hit record. It worked, it hit on all cylinders, and it hit the coveted #1 on the charts even eclipsing The Beatles and other chart powerhouses of that time. It should not have worked because it was and still sounds a little bizarre, not standard pop writing or recording or producing...but it WORKED.

Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations, Wouldn't It Be Nice, the Smile recording sessions...

1966 goes to The Beach Boys and more specific to Brian Wilson. He owned 1966, and his creative visions set the table for future generations of music and musicians. There is no accident or fluke that Pet Sounds and a song like God Only Knows are still regularly topping the best of all time polls and lists and are still alive among two or three generations removed from the original fanbase.

As much as I love and was influenced by Revolver and the Beatles output, as much as I say the year 1966 was *the year*, the BEST year in pop music overall with several dozen examples of releases from '66 to back that up...1966 was Brian's year. And The Beach Boys as the messengers.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:14:29 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 11:51:16 AM »

If we bring "Smile" into the 1966 discussion, then you have to start bringing "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane", and the beginnings of Pepper into it as well.

In terms of released material, this is a year where the BBs can really go toe to toe.

I give the nod to the Beatles because "Revolver" is amazing beginning to end, has a wider array of styles, and is a wholly band-backed statement in terms of writing. With PS, it's a lot of words written by someone outside the band. Great lyrics, no question.

But the Beatles wrote their stuff and, with a few exceptions of session musician overdubs, they play the tracks as well.

Their material feels more like a self contained group statement.

But PS is maybe the first perfect BB album. No filler.

But PS came in the same year that the greatest band ever made what many argue is their greatest album.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 11:52:09 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 11:56:02 AM »

Revolver and Abbey Road are my 2 favourite Beatles l.p.s...followed oh so closely by Rubber Soul and then The 'White' album...After that come Help and Sgt Peppers.  And, given all that, the BRITISH version of Revolver is absolutely their best album...at least for me.  Mind you somehow ...[Capital being the capitol arseholes that they were]...3 important songs got ditched on this side of the pond...NO 'And Your Bird Can Sing'.  What!!!  Shocked  And No I'm Only Sleeping... Azn or Dr. Robert. Brian's Trip  Paperback Writer is a great little rocker.  And Rain was unique in its own little way...for awhile...until the novelty wore off and dated it.  Still...it ain't enough...not by a LONG shot.

But while Revolver is unique and avant garde and well done and totally special, grown-up and adventurous...it just isn't as musical and timeless and teflon coated and perfect as Pet Sounds.  It's rather a GREAT 'Big Persons' album versus a totally and completely unique classic which still sets standards which should be emulated...if it's possible...[but reach for the stars and maybe you'll break through the stratosphere.]  And ...I'm sorry BUT...the Beatles neither collectively nor individually ever came close to anything as outstandingly fantastic, unique, awe-inspiring or jaw-droppingly unbelievable and ground breaking as Good Vibrations.  They just didn't.  The Beach Boys lapped the Beatles in 1966.  They were and are the runaway winners as their 1966 output not only stands the test of time...it continues to further distance the group and especially Brian from all the rest of the pack by leaps and bounds.  The test of time tells all.

That there was one jerk in the band who just didn't know his place or when to lay off, shut up and just sit the eff back and reap the benefits... ... ...  But we didn't really know any of that until the following year when it began to become quite clear just what a 'vibe' killer he truly was.  [and is.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »

Yeah I guess I can delve into why Pet Sounds is #1 in my book:

It is one man’s vision of young life and young love - and this vision is perfectly translated to some of the most beautiful music this world has ever heard. The love songs are beautiful, somber, deep, rockin, classical, baroque. The songs about life make you either question the path you’re currently on or they reaffirm that you’re on the right one. Even Sloop John B can be taken as part of the life message (“this is the worst trip”) - you’re in a place that you really wish you weren’t in. And okay, this record isn’t mostly 4 guys playing their instruments/singing their lines. Instead, this is one man directing an orchestra/band of insane talent. They’re sometimes giving him ideas, but they’re playing his chords, playing whatever instrument he wants them to play - “lets do a theramin solo here”. “I want to hear coke bottle percussion in this song”. I mean he uses an accordion as a main rhythmic instrument in a song that went top-40. This is a guy using every color on the palette. Brian Wilson hears this music in his head (each instrument, each line, each harmony) and Pet Sounds is the record where it all comes out.

I bet most everyone here has related deeply to ‘IJWMFTT’ - the message is one that will speak to a lot of people not even born yet. I mean, I was still 20 or more years away from being born when this was written/recorded, yet when I first heard it it felt like the writer was speaking directly to me. Many of the songs on this record have this power.

And the whole record sounds so warm (both in mono and in stereo) and this warmth makes the entire record sound like one grand cohesive symphony.

Revolver is a favorite of mine. But it doesn’t effect me as personally like Pet Sounds does. I have to say I think ‘Tomorrow Never Knows’ is one of the greatest songs ever created - its something that sounds like it could’ve been recorded 1000 years from now, and I bet in 1000 years it will still sound like something from the future.

Pet Sounds is introspection of the soul at it’s finest. I love that story where Brian takes home Pet Sounds to marylin when he finishes mixing it, and they listen to it and cry. That’s why this record is #1 in my book, it’s pure human soul from the perspective of someone with a heart of gold who is/was misunderstood who finally got all these feelings out into musical form for the world to hear.

Beach Boys/Brian Wilson all the way on this one.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:09:30 PM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 08:34:06 PM »

Definitely hands down without doubt BBs win this year. Full stop.

guitarfool, you're absolutely right when you say 1966 is BBs/ Brian's year. I said this before but it MUST be repeated: in Beatles.ru, the biggest Russian message board about Beatles, there's poster who knows all things about music, long-time huge Beatles fan & always will be 1st Beatles fan BUT, at the same time, fair & balanced about the other music. He lived thru the 60s in Estonia & stated that NOBODY dominated that year BUT the BBs. Even there, then-USSR republic people got to listen to English-speaking music & he says that GV blew him totally away making him forget Beatles in 1966, pointing out that local bands began due to listening to PS. Many youngsters were covering PS tracks with Estonian lyrics! See? PS influenced people to start bands! Top that! police 3D

But, younger people completely stood defending Beatles - don't forget it's Beatles site - they said usual "Didn't get PS", "weak", "doesn't rock", "fail to see why this is #2 album". The Estonian old-timer addressed these points, f.ex. he dubbed GOK THE perfect ballad.

Wrecking Crew played Brian's directions. He single-handedly created melody to every instrument. Now the lyrics. 1st, Tony Asher may write the lyrics but he didn't come up with themes - Brian gave him ideas. Next, Beatles writing lyrics themselves isn't anything new. It's not what they're famous/ revered for (like BBs). I read many times about Bob Dylan, Paul Simon being praised for "clever lyrics".

I bet everybody will agree that the Beach Boys vocally stand miles away ahead the Beatles. Beatles didn't build vocal arrangements like BBs, they went straight path.
If we're going to compare BBs vs. Beatles, we must vocals too.

Lastly, many can argue it's the Beatles' best album but, despite what HeyJude will predictably say, it's not objective truth. It's merely subjective opinion.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 09:31:49 AM »

Regarding the Beatles writing their own material (including lyrics), it most certainly WAS one of the main sources of fame/being revered, whatever you want to call it.

They didn't get famous recording full albums of cover versions.

And there is most certainly something different about singing *your own* lyrics, versus singing lyrics another person wrote. I'm not knocking Brian or Tony Asher, they did amazing work together.

I think Tony Asher and the sessions musician on PS are being sold a bit short by trying to give Brian *even more* credit than he needs. It's Brian's album. No Brian, no Beach Boys, no Pet Sounds. No question. But I don't see any need to downplay what the session musicians did or what Tony Asher did. They weren't being 100% directed by Brian, especially Asher. Of course themes were discussed, but Tony wrote a lot of those words. Which he did beautifully.

But, if you're a writer and musician and creator, there *is* something different about writing your own stuff, and then playing it and recording it.

"Pet Sounds" and "Smile" were, in part, cases of someone outside the band steering (to some degree) the lyrical mood/content, and then also yet another *different* group of (sometimes revolving) musicians interpreting it in the studio. Great musicians, but the combination of them being *older* and being partially instructed what to play meant the *feel* was going to be different than the Beatles, and I think then that how it comes across to the listener makes it different as well.

A session musician for Brian was never going to play/improvise the other-worldly, spaced out piano at the end of "Magical Mystery Tour", or bust out a guitar solo like the one on "Taxman."

"Tomorrow Never Knows" was *as much McCartney* as it was Lennon when you read how it was put together, and that's something that Brian and Chuck Britz or a session musician were never going to get to.

All that aside, at the end of the day we can also just look at the pure songs, regardless of who wrote or played what. And on that count "Revolver" still wins. Revolver tracks like "Taxman" and "Doctor Robert" rock in a way the BBs never did. Then you have Harrison's wonderful, dissonant, kind of idiosyncratic stuff like "I Want to Tell You." McCartney turns in a myriad of classic masterpieces, literal "evergreens" that were never even singles like "Here, There, and Everywhere" and "Good Day Sunshine", plus "Eleanor Rigby" as well, and so on. Lennon not only brings the lyrical goods but also amazing melody (sometimes no doubt with McCartney chipping in) on stuff like "And Your Bird Can Sing" and "I'm Only Sleeping."

Brian's "Pet Sounds" has stunning material. It doesn't jump all over the board stylistically as much. There are the major key upbeat big production numbers like WIBN, "I'm Waiting for the Day." The slow burn heartbreaking ballads like "Don't Talk" (which, on certain days, I might say is  his BEST lead vocal ever), "You Still Believe In Me", "Caroline, No." Mike also gives some alternate lead vocal texture to his tracks like "That's Not Me" and "Here Today."

"Here Today" is one of the tracks where Brian reaches for Beatles-level alternate moods and textures. It's very dark if you look at it a certain way.

Obviously the BB group vocals are second to none, without question. Nobody did *that* better. I also think it was daring to eschew that which they were so well-known and highly regarded for by not only doing TWO instrumentals, but also a few tracks with *no* backing vocals at all.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:51:35 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 09:39:43 AM »

Lastly, many can argue it's the Beatles' best album but, despite what HeyJude will predictably say, it's not objective truth. It's merely subjective opinion.

Please stop misrepresenting what I have said or what you think I will say. Contrary to the slew of comments in the 1963 thread, I haven't ever asked anybody to "apologize" for their opinions.

NOR have I claimed one's opinion of a "best" album or "best" ANYTHING could possibly be an "objective" truth. Objective truths are sales figures, chart positions, etc.

These "vs" threads have brought out, in part, what I feel is a weird, ugly, embarrassing aspect of this board. As someone who has posted on this board for TWELVE going on THIRTEEN years and has probably way TOO many posts to my name, I tried (and failed) to help people realize this in the previous "vs." threads. I truly was trying to help this board get better.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 09:48:32 AM by HeyJude » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 09:56:39 AM »

Considering The Beach Boys felt they were in a friendly competition with the Beatles, its not too ridiculous that a Beach Boys message forum would have some threads that put some Beatles/Beach Boys albums in friendly competition with each other. As I said before: I think that any thread that helps drive conversation/education about beautiful music should be around.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2018, 10:04:41 AM »

Considering The Beach Boys felt they were in a friendly competition with the Beatles, its not too ridiculous that a Beach Boys message forum would have some threads that put some Beatles/Beach Boys albums in friendly competition with each other. As I said before: I think that any thread that helps drive conversation/education about beautiful music should be around.

That's all well and good. But Brian Wilson wasn't sitting around listening to "Rubber Soul" or "Revolver" and pumping his fist because he thought "Pet Sounds" was better. Nor were the Beatles doing so on their end.

The type of "competition" Brian felt (which, it can be noted, the Beatles largely *didn't* feel on their end) wasn't at all like fans picking their favorite in a "Vs." competition. The competition that spurred Brian was about *creating* something as good or better than something he thought was *the best.*

Imagine if Brian thought "Pet Sounds" mopped the floor with "Revolver." Would he have reached for "Smile" then?

Seriously, as an objective observer of these "vs." threads, I'd at least feel better if there wasn't an actual "POLL" element to them. What does that *possibly* signify beyond "my team is better than that team?"

What does a *PERCENTAGE DRIVEN POLL* have to do with driving conversation and education? That could be just as easily accomplished by a "1966 - The Beatles *and* The Beach Boys" thread, with no poll.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 10:07:14 AM by HeyJude » Logged

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »

Firstly, the percentage poll is one part of the entire thread that allows for a lot of discussion to take place. I get it, the percentage poll is apparently embarrasing for the board and it should just be a thread titled “Discuss 1966, Revolver and Pet Sounds” but its not. Its a friendly poll/thread that has a lot of the active forum discussing the music. Which is the point of the music forum. I think less than 2 people in total have pumped their fists at the outcome of these threads yet you’re acting like everyone participating has this “Haha My Beech Boyz beat youre Beetles!!!!!” attitude when the discussions that have taken place most assuredly show that isn’t the case.

You are looking at the poll and only thinking that we’re all thinking “My team is better than your team” and that outlook makes it seem like you have a fairly low opinion of the people who are participating in these polls/threads. I think Pet Sounds is a better album than Revolver...I also think that Stg Pepper kicked the ass of anything The Beach Boys released in 1967. I would bet that many people here have that opinion too. It’s not a “my team vs your team” - its a discussion/poll and most people have been able to participate in them without turning it into a big deal.

KDS
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2018, 10:28:47 AM »

Firstly, the percentage poll is one part of the entire thread that allows for a lot of discussion to take place. I get it, the percentage poll is apparently embarrasing for the board and it should just be a thread titled “Discuss 1966, Revolver and Pet Sounds” but its not. Its a friendly poll/thread that has a lot of the active forum discussing the music. Which is the point of the music forum. I think less than 2 people in total have pumped their fists at the outcome of these threads yet you’re acting like everyone participating has this “Haha My Beech Boyz beat youre Beetles!!!!!” attitude when the discussions that have taken place most assuredly show that isn’t the case.

You are looking at the poll and only thinking that we’re all thinking “My team is better than your team” and that outlook makes it seem like you have a fairly low opinion of the people who are participating in these polls/threads. I think Pet Sounds is a better album than Revolver...I also think that Stg Pepper kicked the ass of anything The Beach Boys released in 1967. I would bet that many people here have that opinion too. It’s not a “my team vs your team” - its a discussion/poll and most people have been able to participate in them without turning it into a big deal.

Exactly
KDS
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 10:30:20 AM »

These "vs" threads have brought out, in part, what I feel is a weird, ugly, embarrassing aspect of this board. As someone who has posted on this board for TWELVE going on THIRTEEN years and has probably way TOO many posts to my name, I tried (and failed) to help people realize this in the previous "vs." threads. I truly was trying to help this board get better.

Please be careful, Hey Jude.   If you fall off a horse that high, you could seriously injure yourself. 

LOL
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 10:55:38 AM »

Please be careful, Hey Jude.   If you fall off a horse that high, you could seriously injure yourself.  

LOL

Someone has to do it occasionally, otherwise you end up not being able to do things like the needed purge that happened here over a year ago ridding the board of a number of trolls.

There aren't many people left on this board trying to help make the *board* better instead of just coming on to get whatever *they* want out of it.

How often is anybody here thinking about what this board looks like to a newcomer and/or outsider?

I can't help further explain why, on a *BEACH BOYS BOARD*, saying The Beach Boys *handily* better the Beatles output in numerous years makes that segment of the board look silly. I'm not telling anybody *what* to say, or what to opinion to have. I'm saying the entire thing is an exercise in a straw man argument *when* it's a Beach Boys board.

I'm saying, have whatever discussion you want to, but maybe listen to Howie Edelson when he says this stuff is the "worst of fandom." He's a fan, and knows as much if not more about BOTH bands than anybody on this board, writes liner notes for the band's releases, *AND* has interviewed all of the actual guys. He's an expert and a good relative objective observer. Even if you don't agree that this is the worst of fandom, at least take a moment and try to understand what's being said here. Take *something* from it to understand why maybe this discussion is so uncool.

But hey, have at it folks. If I'm lucky, we only have a few years to go. Or, three months from now I'll be viewing the thread about how "Looking Back with Love" is better than "Tug of War."
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:06:41 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2018, 11:00:48 AM »

By and large, my point has little to nothing to do with *which* band you think is better, or who wins the poll. It's the pitting the two against each other that isn't needed. Why? Why do the two need to be pitted *against* each other in order to discuss them?

If you can't describe why you like something, on both the micro and macro level, without saying it's "better" than something else, then that's unfortunate.

This isn't to say that comparisons and contrasting is never a useful tool. Of course it is. But saying "Hey, listen to Mike Love's 2004 recordings and why the lack of autotune sounds better than "Unleash the Love" isn't the same thing. That's instructive in some sense.

KDS
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 11:19:12 AM »

Please be careful, Hey Jude.   If you fall off a horse that high, you could seriously injure yourself.  

LOL

Someone has to do it occasionally, otherwise you end up not being able to do things like the needed purge that happened here over a year ago ridding the board of a number of trolls.

There aren't many people left on this board trying to help make the *board* better instead of just coming on to get whatever *they* want out of it.

How often is anybody here thinking about what this board looks like to a newcomer and/or outsider?

I can't help further explain why, on a *BEACH BOYS BOARD*, saying The Beach Boys *handily* better the Beatles output in numerous years makes that segment of the board look silly. I'm not telling anybody *what* to say, or what to opinion to have. I'm saying the entire thing is an exercise in a straw man argument *when* it's a Beach Boys board.

I'm saying, have whatever discussion you want to, but maybe listen to Howie Edelson when he says this stuff is the "worst of fandom." He's a fan, and knows as much if not more about BOTH bands than anybody on this board, writes liner notes for the band's releases, *AND* has interviewed all of the actual guys. He's an expert and a good relative objective observer. Even if you don't agree that this is the worst of fandom, at least take a moment and try to understand what's being said here. Take *something* from it to understand why maybe this discussion is so uncool.

But hey, have at it folks. If I'm lucky, we only have a few years to go. Or, three months from now I'll be viewing the thread about how "Looking Back with Love" is better than "Tug of War."

Maybe I'm wrong here, but I'm probably not.  

Didn't most of us set up accounts on Beach Boys, and other various music boards, Facebook Groups, etc, because it's FUN discussing the music???  

It's been said before, but this type of thread, which is not new on message boards, is designed to engage people in discussion, and offer a chance to maybe even take another look at one band's or another's work to make fun comparing and contrasting.  

Frankly, I think it's fun to contrast and compare like this.   I find it much more fun than "commemorating" the 30th Anniversary of Mike Love's not so proudest moment.   To me, THAT is a much more ugly side of music fandom than debating Revolver v Pet Sounds.  

If that makes me a poor fan, so be it.  
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:29:29 AM by KDS » Logged
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »

Maybe we could approach this in a different way?  This was an amazing creative process - a dance - between these two brilliant bands.  I honestly can't separate the two bands competing in a process that changed the course of music, and enjoying each other in the process.  Brian absolutely loved George Martin and the Beatles and all indications are that the feeling is mutual - well, it's on videotape, for instance.  They were also really competitive with each other.  I honestly don't think you can separate them.  While they had they're own separate approaches, they were hearing the same muses, so to speak.  It was just brilliant, and I'm thrilled to have been alive during the process.

BTW - no criticism of the post subject, it gets people's attention, and often great discussions.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2018, 11:29:58 AM »

HeyJude, it’s funny that you think that there aren’t many people on this forum trying to make it better. Well up until half a year ago, maybe less, this place was stagnant with monotonous posts about Mike Love being a dick. Then Watamushi starts his threads and polls that bring out a better aspect of the fandom: discuss the music! That’s what we’re doing here. Again, you’re looking solely at the poll and thinking we’re all just going bananas because we think The Beach Boys Pet Sounds is better than Revovler. You feel pitting one album against another in a poll is embarrasing and pointless.

Ya know what, probably 100% of the people participating in this thread would agree that solely a POLL pitting Beatles albums against Beach Boys albums is pointless. But again, it’s about the discussion that goes hand-in-hand with the poll. Is it a perfect system? Probably not! But Watamushi comes here, creates some great polls/threads, makes this place more positive in the process, and you have done nothing but complain about it - and yet you also vote and discuss in the threads that you think are making this place worse off.

You realize how much more positive this place has been lately because of threads like these?

All due respect to Howie Edelson, but I think he’s very wrong saying this is the “worst of the fandom”. I’d say we’ve all seen the worst of the fandom a couple years ago here, and it had nothing to do with some harmless banter about the Beatles.

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2018, 12:00:18 PM »

I love the Revolver album, with the exception of Dr. Robert (sorry, just don't care for that song).
The album has a lot of studio tricks, but my favorite 2 songs don't employ those. They are simply great music/lyrics: Here, There, and Everywhere; and For No One.
For No One is probably my favorite "Paul" song. Everything comes together so simply, so perfectly. And the way it ends, just ends, no chord resolution. Incredible.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2018, 12:04:37 PM »

I love the Revolver album, with the exception of Dr. Robert (sorry, just don't care for that song).
The album has a lot of studio tricks, but my favorite 2 songs don't employ those. They are simply great music/lyrics: Here, There, and Everywhere; and For No One.
For No One is probably my favorite "Paul" song. Everything comes together so simply, so perfectly. And the way it ends, just ends, no chord resolution. Incredible.

For No One is such a great song.   I feel it sometimes gets lost in the shuffle of Paul ballads like Yesterday, Fool on the Hill, She's Leaving Home, etc etc.   
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx